Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 01-10-2004, 06:42 PM   #61
The Weatherman
Eskimo Regular

Ah...... good point.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:59 PM   #62
tj
Phono Vox

What's the big deal with me saying the Frames recorded material before For the Birds wasn't great?!

It's kinda true....the songs are f**kin' great but they weren't really a studio band at the time....but experience helped them.....

Some guy from Bell X1 said that the Frames are becoming the new U2...people are becoming afraid to say anything "wrong" about them...I'm beginning to agree with him...
Old 01-11-2004, 03:17 PM   #63
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Actually it was Graham Hopkins ex Therepy/David Kitt/Gemma Hayes drummer and current main halite bod. He also has drummed for the frames.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:24 PM   #64
tj
Phono Vox

Aww right...thanks for clearing that up! [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2004, 04:38 PM   #65
Smithy
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
Actually it was Graham Hopkins ex Therepy/David Kitt/Gemma Hayes drummer and current main halite bod. He also has drummed for the frames.
blimey he's getting about a bit, last time I saw him was playing with gemma
Old 01-12-2004, 03:36 AM   #66
Enoch
Eskimo Regular

[/quote]
Just think of it as giving you more culture, artistically speaking[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] [/quote]

f**k Culture ... I want music !! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2004, 07:24 AM   #67
administrator
forum administrator

wow, those frames message boarders are all upset that the frames would lower themselves to support damien...

http://fake.theframes.ie/v4/comm/msgboard/

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:48 AM   #68
Angela
Eskimo Regular

I'm not surprised. The thing I find questionable is the timing. That's supposedly when the Frames new record is coming out, no? Would be strange if they were touring as a support then.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:51 AM   #69
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

perhaps it's more like they are co-headling you know.. But I guess it is all because alot of Americans just are not all that familiar with The Frames, I guess it is suppose to be a good thing for them?

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:53 AM   #70
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

One more thing though.. Why do they have to be so nasty about Damien,calling him a Demon Midget and worse.. So unneccesary..[img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
Old 01-12-2004, 10:05 AM   #71
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Julia, I agree, they will probably share the bill, though in reality that doesn't make much difference. They'll get a few extra minutes on the stage.

From my vantage point it's great they tour together. I suspect Damo will have Glen on the stage and who knows what will happen! It will make the tour more exciting (I hope) and certainly won't hurt Damien.

From the Frames point of view it's a strange and questionable thing. They've struggled for recognition for over a decade. Here in the US it was only last year they were first on KCRW (Damo was on three times and saw was Tom McRae) and if I were in their shoes I'd consider it a matter of pride to walk to the finish line on my own two feet, so to speak.

I guess Frames fans feel the Frames are better than Damien and shouldn't ride into America on the coat tails of Damien's success.

I'm obviously of a mixed mind myself about it.[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2004, 10:21 AM   #72
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Yes I agree with you on most points though you and I are coming from different places . I am not all that familiar with The Frames. I am a very new fan. So I will be going to see Damien, but I will ,I'm sure enjoy The Frames..Plus it was pointed out on The Frames board that they are so different in concert. Damien with the candles and insense and raw sound. The Frames are very different , so perhaps they will not mesh well together. But with all of that said I stil don't understand the name calling of Damien,it's so silly[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2004, 10:45 AM   #73
DaveG
Eskimo Regular

well the new frames album was meant to be released here (in ireland) around april, so i guess they're putting that off till may now.....aren't they releasing Setlist in the states soon?? maybe they are just taking advantage of the timing.....can someone correct me if i'm wrong about release dates
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:49 AM   #74
Angela
Eskimo Regular

My hunch is, that all this is quite different here in the US. Obviously, here Damien is more popular than the Frames and it's sort of the other way around in Ireland, I guess, and the Irish fans have a hard time understanding why.

Slagging Damien is quite popular with a lot of my Irish friends, who claim Damiens are a dime a dozen in Ireland, Damien has sold out, bla, bla, bla...

Maybe we should move? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

If you've never seen the Frames I'm fairly sure you'll enjoy them, though I didn't think they are that different live nor did I think they were "magical". (I'm saying that as a fan!) Damien is much more different from his album than the Frames, I think.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:53 AM   #75
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

I will let you know what I think about them, honestly after the show.I am anxious to see them.. But with Damien I felt completely swept away listening to him live.. I was dazed for a quite awhile after.. My husband said he was a little jealous that Damien put such a twinkle in my eyes[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] Edited by: jbalogh

Old 01-12-2004, 10:58 AM   #76
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG
well the new frames album was meant to be released here (in ireland) around april, so i guess they're putting that off till may now.....aren't they releasing Setlist in the states soon?? maybe they are just taking advantage of the timing.....can someone correct me if i'm wrong about release dates
They better. From an Irish perspective it certainly would be weird to release the much anticipated new album while supporting in the woods here in the US.

I also heard about a Setlist release here, but what radio station is going to pick that up? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

In terms of "world domination" Damo did all the right moves here in the US: KCRW, tour leg 1, album release + TV promos + tour leg 2 + tour leg 3.

I understand Irish fans are disappointed that Damo has been spending time at home, but he sewed up the market here. If he would have gone home after the second leg he would not have reached the momentum he now has.

The Frames have never worked their ass off like that in the US, sorry to say.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:01 AM   #77
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalogh
...My husband said he was a little jealous that Damien put such a twinkle in my eyes[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Are you saying you saw Damo without Lisa? [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] Poor hubby!
Old 01-12-2004, 11:04 AM   #78
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Right Fair Play.. My husband will be completely charmed by the Lovely Lisa[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2004, 12:06 PM   #79
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Hello there, I'm from the Official Gemma Hayes Community. [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

What about Berlin on March 5? Just this mate named Josh Ritter?
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:13 PM   #80
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Hallo Hendrik, wilkommen im Iglu [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Yes, it's going to be Josh Ritter in Europe. The Frames in the US and the Swedish dance commpany in the UK.

Are you in Berlin? There was somebody here wondering if one can buy tickets directly in Berlin somewhere (instead of over the internet).
Old 01-12-2004, 12:24 PM   #81
DaveG
Eskimo Regular

Hey Hendrik.......we all love Gemma here, well especially myself and Jeweller [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]......hope you enjoy eskimofriends
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 12:42 PM   #82
administrator
forum administrator

hi hendrik! i love gemma too! welcome to eskimo friends! and you won't be disappointed with josh!

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:23 PM   #83
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Yes, I live in Berlin. A girl friend of mine will buymy and her ticket (one costs 18€) in the next few days. I really don't know about this guy around here...hmm...isn't that too risky (although I'd like to help)? [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2004, 01:47 PM   #84
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Yes, I live in Berlin. A girl friend of mine will buy*my and her ticket (one costs 18*€) in the next few days. I really don't know about this guy around here...hmm...isn't that too risky (although I'd like to help)? [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]
Hi Hendrik, I'm from Berlin originally. The "guy" is a girl from the Polish border. I guess she was wondering if one can buy tix from the Knaak Klub via phone or some other ticket agency in Berlin. T'was just a question! Nothing you are asked to do! [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]

Anyway, enjoy your stay here [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2004, 01:57 PM   #85
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
T'was just a question! Nothing you are asked to do! [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]

Maybe god send me from heaven to buy her tix? [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]Well, have to think about it.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:21 PM   #86
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG
Hey Hendrik.......we all love Gemma here, well especially myself and Jeweller [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]......hope you enjoy eskimofriends

rubs hands together.... ahhh gemma[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote