Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 10-25-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
ocoileain
Eskimo Baby

Default I love it- Damo's setup.

I was watching the "making of" video for '9' and noticed he is using a very similar setup to mine. He is running a pro tools set up, the only difference is his hardware has more inputs than mine. It always makes you feel good when you are recording with professional equipment.

Anyways, does anyone know if home recording sets like this are becoming the standard (I know I get professional sound from my setup)?
ocoileain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Welcome ocoileain. I think you'll get more replies to this in the 'musicians forum' section, so I'll move it over for you.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:28 PM   #3
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

jeez if i only had the money! i've got mrs. guitar, her and i are doing ok for now(though i'd love some addition to the familly).

The only problem is, people with no idea about dithering or any mastering, do asume they know how to reccord well, and then just burn onto cd. And it leaves highly experienced, art-filled mastering engineers without jobs. Of whom only the best really have the ability to truly and inteligently grasp the essence of an amazing album and turn it into a mesmerising cd. But then, unfortunately (unless ur loaded), there's all the corporation that goes with that. Just remember u ain't there yet .
Old 10-25-2006, 11:36 PM   #4
Niko
Eskimo Regular

For my money you just can't beat recording into a dictaphone. It's all about keeping it low-key, man. Personally, I panic and seize up at the very sight of a microphone *shudder*
Old 10-26-2006, 12:54 AM   #5
ocoileain
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinBoy
jeez if i only had the money! i've got mrs. guitar, her and i are doing ok for now(though i'd love some addition to the familly).

The only problem is, people with no idea about dithering or any mastering, do asume they know how to reccord well, and then just burn onto cd. And it leaves highly experienced, art-filled mastering engineers without jobs. Of whom only the best really have the ability to truly and inteligently grasp the essence of an amazing album and turn it into a mesmerising cd. But then, unfortunately (unless ur loaded), there's all the corporation that goes with that. Just remember u ain't there yet .
Oh, im not claiming to be a professional recording engineer, but I did say I have professional quality sound, there's a difference. The thing is, it depends on the type of music you are into, for a rock, or heavily-produced style, training is required.

I have a group of friends with different recording set-ups and it is not actually that difficult to set up a proffesional-style recording (with mixing, fading and plug-ins.) The only variable is time, because the fact is, pro-tools is fast becoming the norm in recording because it REPLACES the need for a highly skilled engineer. You no longer have hundreds of buttons but everything is managable and digital. Given dedication and a manual, using the program I have, anyone can create the recording they wish. All you need is a vision of what the song should sound like, and the software makes it relatively (with some experience) easy to do.

I am not talking about an entire CD that is just recorded and burnt. It takes up to ten hours of recording and tampering to get it right. And yes I have had people tell me my recordings sound professional, both from my songs, and my friends which I have recorded. Remember it is all about time and artistic vision.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:26 AM   #6
corkboyinexile
Irish Eskimo by birth

I couldn't tell ya how many times I have rehearsed a song, got it absolutely perfect, pressed record and almost automatically messed up and had to start again, sometimes I have just given up altogether.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:50 AM   #7
ocoileain
Eskimo Baby

That is the beauty with having a setup like mine, you can cut and mix so that you don't always have to start over from the beginning.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #8
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

slick! Cds are a zillion times compressed in comparason to the original reccordings. mp3s even more so. And so many people don't realise that anything actually happens after the songs are reccorded appart from a bit of mixing. But basically the entire track is taken appart and a mastering engineer(who usually has no or little contact with the band) has to work out what the most important frequencies are at different times and push the compression away from there.

I'm a dictophone-man, it's survivable when ur playing quiet/strummed/picked. but any of my louder slappy-flappy songs, where i really get into it, just don't reccord at all respectably, whichis a shame. The lil dictaphone can't handle it. And if i wanna buy a whole load of decent stuff (which i do) i need a pc which can handle it. which is summting i DON't have . But anyway the wire that connects my dictaphone to the pc, is broken. So i really just can't reccord at all .