Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 01-08-2004, 05:15 AM   #1
Desperate Dan
Eskimo Baby

Hey all- just a quick question.

I am absolutly loving the Skylarkin' and the work that has gone into it. Please could anyone recommend which Mary Janes album I would like aso and look at buying?

Thanks for your time!

[img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]
Desperate Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:19 AM   #2
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

they are hard to come by and if you do get a copy your a very lucky man

theres a few songs available for download here - http://http://www.geocities.com/mics.../html/mic.html

hope that helps[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 06:11 AM   #3
Desperate Dan
Eskimo Baby

More to the point- does anyone know whereabouts you can actually buy a Mary Janes album, either on the net or in the UK?

[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2004, 06:15 AM   #4
DaveG
Eskimo Regular

did you not read what simon just posted..........[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] mary janes albums are extremely hard to come by....can't get them in shops, heard of somebody once getting one on ebay though........so maybe keep on eye out there
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 07:18 AM   #5
peterd
Eskimo Regular

animal album i knew mic christopher he was one of the soundest blokes u could have ever met
peterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 11:53 AM   #6
tj
Phono Vox

He was a great guy....very talented...sorry I can't help with the albums though....
Old 01-08-2004, 07:20 PM   #7
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

HMV in Grafton St., Dublin is apparently the best place to get "Sham".
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:20 AM   #8
justine
Eskimo Baby

I'd like some info on Mic. I'm in the States and Amazon doesn't even list him as an artist. Where is Skylarkin available? Figure I'll start there before I start looking for obscure Mary Janes stuff... And what's the deal with his death - ie how did he go? I've gathered he's been quite influential in Ireland, and I know Damien dedicated O to him, but we in the US know nothing of him, and his website acts as tho he's still alive. Could someone please give me a brief history and answer at least some of the above???
justine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:28 AM   #9
dara
Eskimo Regular

http://www.geocities.com/micskylarkin/ this is the link jeweller kindly gave ya above and still stands it will tell you all you need to know about the man and where to buy his music. keep on dancinEdited by: dara
dara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:17 AM   #10
DaveG
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justine
and his website acts as tho he's still alive</font>
did you not see the front page.....picture of mic and underneath...Mic Christopher 1969-2001 Rest In Peace[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

check other music forum, there's some info in there on mic
Old 01-09-2004, 06:19 AM   #11
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

how did he die?

Uno- X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:21 AM   #12
DaveG
Eskimo Regular

he was on tour with the waterboys, fell down some stairs one night, banged his head...was on a life support machine for about two weeks before it was eventually switched off
Old 01-09-2004, 06:23 AM   #13
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

f**k that is so stoopid. God I hate you!!!!

Uno- X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:58 AM   #14
tj
Phono Vox

It was his second accident like that....Figures the first time he had unfinished business in the world...funnyy thing to say because when he came around the first time he met up with old friends, made a great album and toured with the Waterboys...he was and still is such an inspiration and he was such a great guy....

It's always the good die young...
Old 01-09-2004, 12:44 PM   #15
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

i've a few of the mary janes albums someone gave me years ago...
Old 01-09-2004, 01:45 PM   #16
tj
Phono Vox

Can I have them?! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #17
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

well.... i dunno. i like your sig tho. thats what really made me wanna see the film!
Old 01-09-2004, 09:37 PM   #18
justine
Eskimo Baby

Thanks for the info - I found it all and really want to get his stuff. Yes, I saw the front page on the site listed on the DR website, butthought the bio just ended with no details. Maybe I'm wrong, but the fan siteseemed more informative. BTW, here's another American problem. Have recently gotten way into the Frames. Bought "For the Birds" easily. Bought "Fitzcaraldo" for 20 bucks, used ( a bit hefty.) I want more, but the Frames website isn't even selling their older stuff. Is it out of print? I mean, I know I can find it on ebay, or used thru another vendor, but it seems odd that a band that is so influentialin Ireland would be out of print. Is this the case or can y'all just walk into a record store and pick up the whole collection?
justine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 06:32 AM   #19
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

You should be able to get your hands on "Dance the devil", try www.roadrecs.com and they will ship it to you and "set list" (live album, its fantastic) I think is getting a proper release in the states on the back of their support tour with Damien so you mightwant to hold off. If you are seeing them support Damien I'd assume they'll be selling CDs at the merch table. I think the first album (another love song I think its called) has been deleted by island, I'm not sure if they play anything from it on a live basis either (corrections welcome). Speaking of which does anyone know where I could get the first album?
Old 01-10-2004, 07:20 AM   #20
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

See the problem getting The Frames CD's is that they were nearly all released on differnt record labels. It's easy enough to get them when they're initially released but it can be hard trying to find some of them a couple of years later.

Their first album was released on Island Records in 1992 and the band had a deal to release a second album with them but relations soured with the record company and they were dropped. They then had to fund the recording of the second album themselves and just before it was released in 1995 they were offered a deal with ZTT and they went with that. So ZTT repackaged and re-released Fitzcarraldo the following year.

The band recorded their third album with ZTT but difficulties followed again with the record company trying to tell the band what songs they wanted on the album and what versions of the songs they wanted. So they pleaded to be released from their contract and eventually they succeeded around 1999. They then released their fourth album "For The Birds" in 2001 on their own Plateau label and it was a huge success, selling more copies than all their previous albums combined.

In 2002 they released a live album just in the Czech Republic on the Indes label over there. And there was a big demand for it back home in Ireland, so a limited number of copies were made available in Road Records in Dublin. In November 2002 they played four nights in Vicar St. and in 2003 that was released as the live album "Set List". It entered the album at No.1 and stay there for two weeks. So that's the story of The Frames releases.

If you're looking for Another Love Song, it's on eBay for quite reasonable prices. The original release of Fitzcarraldo is quite hard to find, check places like gemm.com. The second version of Fitzcarraldo is quite easy to get in Ireland but for some reason it's always expensive. That's ZTT trying to make their money back I guess, nothing to do with The Frames themselves.
Dance The Devil is more widely available in Ireland and For The Birds is always in stock, for E10 in some record stores. And Set List is easy to get too as it is their most recent release.

Their next album is due to be released around April 2004.
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 07:44 AM   #21
Bumpman

i think you can get most of their stuff on e-bay.
Bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:28 AM   #22
hannadanna
Eskimo Regular

re the mary janes, their whole 3rd album (Sham) is up for download on http://homepage.eircom.net/%7Emiracle/mp3/mp3list.html. Oh and just look over to www.theframes.ie and to the "music" section ( http://fake.theframes.ie/v4/music/ ) to listen to each and every one of their albums in a somewhat lower quality mp3 format. I think they also have "another love song" in much better quality mp3 for download aswell. Kind of a freebie Enjoy anyway
hannadanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:52 AM   #23
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveless
...The second version of Fitzcarraldo is quite easy to get in Ireland but for some reason it's always expensive....

Dance The Devil is more widely available in Ireland and For The Birds is always in stock, for E10 in some record stores.
That is bit different here. There seem to be a limitless supply of Fitzcarraldo promo's (with punch hole etc.) in the US. I see those at half.com and ebay.com all the time and you can easily find a copy for $2.50.

DTD is hard to get here and never chaep. Typically $16 or thereabouts.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 07:48 PM   #24
Bumpman

i dont know about exchange rates n' stuff, but we mostly find ourselves paying €25 for anything new-ish[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2004, 09:10 PM   #25
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Right now the $$ -&gt; € conversion sucks big time. And I buy so many imports! I was just looking for a copy of 'Other Voices'. I found a shop in Galway that sells it for $22 or so. By the time I pay shipping and exchange my $$ it will be almost $30. [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

€25 for a new release is crazy! [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 04:08 PM   #26
tj
Phono Vox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
well.... i dunno. i like your sig tho. thats what really made me wanna see the film!

I'll take that as a "no" then... [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2004, 04:21 PM   #27
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

well.... i dunno!
Old 01-11-2004, 04:31 PM   #28
Bumpman

anyway back to mic christopher then... does anyone know where to get decent tabs[img]smileys/smiley25.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2004, 04:16 AM   #29
Desperate Dan
Eskimo Baby

Thanks for whoever posted the link for the downloading of Sham

http://homepage.eircom.net/%7Emiracle/mp3/mp3list.html

However, I am having trouble getting the lat three songs, Sham, Queen of Hearts and Winesong.

Does anyone have another link for these three songs? [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Thanks!!!
Old 01-12-2004, 04:21 AM   #30
DaveG
Eskimo Regular

you can get them on the skylarkin' page........here