Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 07-24-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
MsChameleon
An Eskimo in California

Default Leonard Cohen:I'm Your Man

Has anyone else seen this?Rufus Wainwright covered Hallelujah and did a really incredible job.It would have been even more amazing if it was Damien covering it,but he didn't.Damien's cover is my absolute favorite of all the others I've heard,even Jeff Buckley's.Leonard Cohen was,of course,fantastic throughout the entire film.His comments made me laugh over and over again.Everyone should go and see it.
MsChameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:15 AM   #2
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

my personal opinion... jeff buckleys version is the best. he set the standard for everyone else by making it not 80's-ish like Leonards lol...although whats leonards one song im thinking of off his first greatest hits album....marianne something?? or maybe just marianne, now i like that one of his...

but yeah, jeff buckleys version in my opinion is the best. i think i would like damiens better if he didnt use the distorted microphone on the versions ive heard, and thats just personal taste ... but don't get me wrong, every other time he uses it, i love it, just with hallelujah, idk, its just so beautiful, idk, personal taste like i said and im rambling...but yeah, i like rufis' version too.

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:29 AM   #3
brookefield
slightly colder water...

yes, i think dearest mister buckley's is the most superior...actually, i think that damien's version sounds a little too much like jeff buckley's. i like rufus wainwright's cover of the song as well, because it sounds different from the others.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:54 AM   #4
MsChameleon
An Eskimo in California

I think the reason that I do love Damien's so much is because of the distorted microphone.It makes it so much more different from Buckley's version and Rufus' version
Old 07-25-2006, 02:07 AM   #5
tywy
Eskimo Regular

That was a pretty sweet movie. I don't like Rufus though. He annoys me. I love Martha Wainwright though. Her voice is amazing.

I didn't like U2 in the movie either. They couldn't just talk normally, they had to sound profound or something...
tywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:08 AM   #6
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookefield
yes, i think dearest mister buckley's is the most superior...actually, i think that damien's version sounds a little too much like jeff buckley's. i like rufus wainwright's cover of the song as well, because it sounds different from the others.
i feel basically the same way. i thought damiens sounded too much like it also
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:34 AM   #7
OrangeKnickers
Buttons For Eyes

jeff's is the best if you ask me - as a matter of fact, i'm kind of sick to death of people covering that song... there are a million great leonard cohen songs and ever since jeff did hellelujah that's the only one people pay attention to. i sometimes wish that damien would do 'famous blue raincoat' instead, because that one mp3 of him doing it is great. another song damien would do nicely is "suzanne"
OrangeKnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:56 AM   #8
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

"suzanne" or "so, long marianne" with lisa on backing vocals would be amazing. maybe making it different/modern or whatever.

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #9
Mankman
You Crazy Diamond

Yeh Suzanne would be amazing with lisa. Also The Partisan would be amazing with damo and lisa. They could both sing the french parts, as they have already demonstrated they can do.
Mankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #10
administrator
forum administrator

there's a big concert in ireland later this year with a bunch of big acts playing leonard cohen songs. no sign of damien being added yet though.

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:09 AM   #11
Bumpman

Yeah, but that bill has names like Laurie Anderson, Nick Cave and Lou Reed... I mean, Damo's pretty cool, but I don't know if he's that cool.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:14 PM   #12
MsChameleon
An Eskimo in California

Agreed,Damien and Lisa would sound amazing covering both Suzanne and The Partisan
Old 07-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #13
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator
there's a big concert in ireland later this year with a bunch of big acts playing leonard cohen songs. no sign of damien being added yet though.
It almost sounds like it could the same show that was the basis of this movie. The program is produced by Hal Wilner. He's shown it in New York and Sidney so far, with Nick Cave, Rufus Wainright, Beth Orton etc.