Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 11-20-2006, 12:49 AM   #1
kaho_kevin
Kevin.Kaho

Smile Damien Rice at Fopp, London, 24th Nov 2006

Hi, just wondering any of you guys going to watch the performance at Fopp this Friday? I'm planning to start queqing up for the wristband at 8:00am ( Fopp opens at about 9:00am, and the performance starts at 6:00pm ) - do you think thats early enough? Please let me know guys! And those who are planning to go, please add me on msn kaho_kevin@hotmail.com. Look forward to hearing from y'all soon!
kaho_kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
Delicate Volcano
Committing 9 Crimes...

Default FOPP gig

Hello,

Im coming down from Andover at the crack of dawn on the train, so I'm hoping to get there early too!

See you in the queue!

donna_atkins@hotmail.com
Delicate Volcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
lukelovesdamien
Eskimo Baby

Hi All

I'm hoping to go too! Do you know the details of the gig? How long will he be playing for? Can we meet him afterwards?
lukelovesdamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:45 AM   #4
NeelP
Eskimo Baby

starts at 6, guy in store said hel be playing around an hour.
NeelP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
simog
Born an Eskimo

I'm going to be getting there at around 5am in the hope of securing a ticket. It feels a bit excessive, but I really don't want to miss out!
simog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 04:39 PM   #6
lukelovesdamien
Eskimo Baby

I won tickets in a competition! Wooooohoooooo!
lukelovesdamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 04:55 PM   #7
Calum
Eskimo Regular

If i could drive and take the day off then i'd certainly be there. Unfortunately i can't though, which is even worse as the Hammersmith Apollo gig sold out just before i bought my ticket. I think i'll be waiting a looonnng time to be able to see him; even longer than the 3 odd years i've already waited
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:01 PM   #8
kiddrinkingfire
Eskimo Friend

I cried. Quite a bit.

It was such an intense little show. Two hundred or less all sat down in a tiny room below the record store. Damien, Lisa and Cora [who replaced Vyvienne by playing violin] strode onto the stage and went straight into Elephant. By the point of What's the point of this song? I was silently crying. A little. I felt so stupid! But.. Just every word he sang cut straight through me with such meaning. This lead into Volcano, then the best song of the night; Rootless Tree. On the album this is my least favoutite track; the lyrics are a bit too infant-like, delivered in a too aggressive manner, but here it was superb. Played on a Rhodes keyboard with only one "****" per chorus, held over.. It was so stunning, thus making me weep a little more. Also played The Animals Were Gone, Coconut Skins and 9 Crimes. During Damo's story introduction into Coconut Skins [describes as a song about "not giving a ****"], Lisa scrambled around for "shakers" to play during the song. Apparent lack of such instruments lead a security guard to over her a handful of loose change, which she put in a hat. the shakers were sadly found before the song started. It's was such, such an amazing show. At the start of 9 Crimes, just as Lisa started singing Damien stopped to check the tune of the Rhode. He wasn't happy with it and after a second try he went into playing it on guitar. They left by the back door, straight off back to Dublin..

Old 11-24-2006, 09:07 PM   #9
simog
Born an Eskimo

Am too tired to do a full review I'm afraid (got up at 4.30am to be in the queue at 5am) so a quick summary will have to suffice:

Queuing was good fun (would definitely do it again - nice to meet some fellow eskimos!) if a little cold. Managed to be 6th person to get wristband and first person in the queue for the actual gig. Got to hear Damo doing his sound check! He was wearing that shirt again (it's looking very faded!).

The venue was a good size - if a little bit soul-less. Fortunately everyone agreed to sit down so we weren't looming over the stage. Damien was singing with Lisa and they were joined by a girl playing violin (can't remember her name - brain has gone!)

Set list was:
  1. Elephants
  2. Volcanos
  3. Rootless Tree
  4. Animals
  5. Grey Room
  6. Woman Like A Man
  7. Coconut Skins
  8. 9 Crimes

Damo and Lisa made a very swift exit (to go and get on a plane - I think). Damo did talk a little bit - told the back story to Grey Room.

Took lots of pics and have the whole of Grey Room videoed. Also have Damo singing a new (I think!) song as his sound check. No words, but I didn't recognise it - perhaps it was just a vocal warm up thing!?
Old 11-24-2006, 09:43 PM   #10
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Sounds like a great night guys, thanks!

The girl on the VIOLA (I only know as I heard Damien say it on the Jo Whiley thing earlier) is Cora Venus Lunny. Quite well known in Ireland in her own right.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:12 PM
simog
This message has been deleted by simog. Reason: Link isn't correct!
Old 11-24-2006, 10:44 PM   #11
simog
Born an Eskimo

Old 11-25-2006, 12:18 AM   #12
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

not liking the shirt at all
Old 11-25-2006, 01:21 AM   #13
eamo_rice
meh

Great photos Kiddrinkingfire - you were much closer than i was, and my phone camera photos didnt turn out so good. i have a review as well, but again, too tired, got train to manchester straight after the gig. but what a gig! Damo and Lisa on great form, it was great to hear stories about the new songs. And Cora Venus was a very able and capable replacement for Vyv, i hope we see more of her in the future. Will try to write more tomorrow.

And how good is the Rhodes version of Rootless Tree...?
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #14
simog
Born an Eskimo

Default Grey Room

Finally managed to get my film of Grey Room up onto YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wMUnp2nB3Y

Sorry the angle is a bit odd - I was trying to be subtle!
Old 11-25-2006, 12:25 PM   #15
eamo_rice
meh

Wow you WERE close!! and what was the thing about not taking video footage? it seemed a bit Draconian.

But anyhoo...

Rootless Tree - I really think theyve been working on this, the harmonies just weave in and out and sounds amazing. I think it works much better than with full band.

The Animals Were Gone - Lisa guitar picking

Grey Room - the story is on the You Tube. Beautiful version, really strong

Coconut Skins - This was funny, cos Damo asked Lisa something, and she said something like "Do i have a coke?" Simog, you'll probably have heard it better from your angle. And Damo apologized for being "unprepared". I missed part of the story for this cos i was fiddling with my camera, but he said it was a response to being fed up of dealing with problems and "not giving a sh*t". And it was funny after Lisa put the money in her hat and she pretended to beg the guy for more

Damo said before 9 Crimes that he loved doing these things, "the spotlight, sweat and the smell of people."

When Damo stopped 9 Crimes a couple of lines in I think Lisa asked "was i out of tune" as she couldn't hear anything, and he said "no, the Rhodes was out of tune, I was protecting your integrity" I thought it sounded much better when he moved on to guitar, and i think i prefer it to the arpeggios.

Kudos to the London crowd, not a peep out of anyone during the songs, which was fantastic, it was so reverential. Damo seemed in a good mood too, although i was worried when he'd said earlier in the day that he was jetlagged.

Cora Venus Lunny was excellent, but seemed less sure on Volcano and WLAM. But Damo did say that he'd phoned her and told her to listen to 9 and play whenever she could, and she knew her stuff. would love to see her on tour with him, having a two-player string section would add so much to the live performance, but she might be too busy with her own stuff.

One thing though, that security guy standing at the side of the stage, he could have tried to blend in a but more, rather than standing there the whole time with a big scowl on his face. what was with that??
Old 11-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #16
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Thanks guys.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:44 PM   #17
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

thanks, nice video and pictures
Old 11-25-2006, 04:57 PM   #18
cactus360
Eskimo Friend

Thank you for the beautiful pictures!!!

It was a great moment for me!!!

And I liked the audience too....

Last edited by cactus360; 11-25-2006 at 05:00 PM.
cactus360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:19 PM   #19
kaho_kevin
Kevin.Kaho

Default Dream come true

Hello to all the Eskimo friends!

I feel great now after sleeping for bout 15 hours. Had about 2 hours sleep on 24th and was so tired! Anyway, I thought I'd give a brief account of what happened...

Got to London from Manchester at about 11pm on Thursday, went to a friend's house, slept 4 a bit, and got to the queue at about 5am. I was the 7th person there, and it was nice to meet 'simog', who was just before me. It was pretty damn cold, and all of us waited till about 7am ish when the coffee shops opened. Boy, that was one of the best hot sandwich of my life!

It began to rain just before Fopp opened, how lucky! Would have no idea of what to do if it was raining during that whole 4 hours of waiting...Anyhow, as soon as I got the wristband, which I'm still wearing , i went straight to bed...

Got to Fopp at about 4:30am, and of course 'simog' was already there! haha...I was again about the 7th person there, coz I wanted to make sure I get to sit right at the front. They started letting us in at 6pm, and I pro got one of the the best views in the house, as you can see from the photos!

The way Damo just came on and started singing Elephant was incrediable...and what a strong performance it was! The funniest part was when the guy gave some coins to Lisa for Coconut Skins; and how good was the guitar version of 9 Crimes?

Thank you so much Damo, it was a wonderful night, and so good so meet other fans as well.
kaho_kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:55 PM   #20
Catee
Eskimo Baby

I only just joined up here to say about Fopp.

It was amazing, I've been listening to 9 non stop since it came out and I thought it couldn't get more loved by myself but after hearing a bunch of the tracks live...it has a whole new level of lovin' from me now.

I got there about 7:30am later than I had planned but I didn't make my 5:45 train as I lost my headphones and was trying to find them on a dark bridge so I made the 6:10 and goto Goodge Street by 7:30...anyway I spent the day alone which consisted of sitting in Borders / Starbucks drinking Breakfast Tea and reading Jarhead.

I got to FOPP by like 4:50..maybe earlier so I was 5th in the queue. The queue was considerbly nice although I didn't speak...at all.

So te gig was a m a z i n g. I was in awe, I've been waiting to see Damien for YEARS maybe 3 or 4 I've lost count but I wasn't allowed to goto gigs when I was 13/14 but now I'm 18..it's all I've been doing for the past year or so [new 18 btw..ish] anyway I wasn't sure wha to expect, I ADORE Damien and Lisa but I didn't realise how much MORE I would adore them after seeing them live.

I was in total and complete awe. I spent most of it sitting wide-eyed with my mouth sligtly open looking at Damien because..I was just amazed. I stopped breathing for about 2 seconds during Elephant and Coconut Skins and I was too afraid to move incase I was dreaming or something.

Oh and most of my photos sucked because Damien moves A LOT and without my professional camera I'm lost without a flash so I got like 2 good ones out of the 32 I took :/

All my Lisa photos got funked up due to the blaring light.

Thanks to everyone who was so great in the crowd, it was one of the best expierences of my life FACT. I felt honoured to be so close to such musical wonders.

Oh..sorry for rambling!
Catee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:00 PM   #21
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Welcome Catee, glad you had such a great time! Is that your boot we can see in Kevins photo??

Old 11-25-2006, 11:15 PM   #22
Catee
Eskimo Baby

Nono, I was 5th in the queue inside FOPP. I don't even know what Kevin looks like so I can't say if he was near me. I was on the right of Damien and by looking at Kevins photos he was centre/left.
Catee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:04 AM   #23
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Thanks for sharing the pictures, video and recaps - it all sounds amazing!!

And now, the inevitable question - did anyone manage to be sneaky and get a full recording? ?
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:57 AM   #24
A woman like a woman
Eskimo Baby

Default I'm new too

i'm new here too .and like somebody here mentioned- I also only joined to talk about his Fopp gig which was orgasmic i will be posting some pictures on later- got a few good ones of lisa ahhh i'm in love with him now more so than ever. Elephant got to me quite a bit- i got teary and had to disconnect and concentrate about thinking about something else since i had no tissues to blow my nose if i cried yeah also the security guy was putting me off guard a little. got there about 7 and was like the 20th in the Q- if you were around this number, then describe yourself or e-mail, i probably remember talking to you (not names- but faces)- other fans were really cool as well. soo happy to hear 'volcano' since I was really hoping they would play it. I felt to special to be part of this amazing experience- left the gig walking around london in a daze for like 30mins.. now can't stop listening to his album and i really hope he does a similar one soon
catch you later

Last edited by A woman like a woman; 11-26-2006 at 09:27 AM.
A woman like a woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:05 AM   #25
StatQuo
You never got me right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A woman like a woman
i'm new here too .and like somebody here mentioned- I also only joined to talk about his Fopp gig ....now can't stop listening to his album and i really hope he does a similar one soon
catch you later
Welcome, and i'm loving the screenname!
Old 11-26-2006, 02:54 PM   #26
simog
Born an Eskimo

Wheels - unfortunately I didn't have the equipment to record the whole gig.

Kevin did you get anything?

Anyway, here is a snippet of his sound check (including the new(?) 'warm-up' chords)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKUGbJI4MUo

P.S. got some more photos but Flickr won't let me upload anymore!
Old 11-26-2006, 03:00 PM   #27
simog
Born an Eskimo

Here's Lisa hiding behind the Rhodes during Elephants:

Old 11-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #28
A woman like a woman
Eskimo Baby

Default yay

Ok sent an e-mail to Fopp to thank them for the event

And that's what the manager replied: "....it was a great event, everybody seemed to enjoy themselves, including Damien.Pictures will be posted soon..."
yay lol good to know that he liked us too xxx
A woman like a woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:12 PM   #29
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by simog
Wheels - unfortunately I didn't have the equipment to record the whole gig.
Wasn't me who asked...

Old 11-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #30
eamo_rice
meh

Great photos Simog and Kaho kevin, god damn my stupid phone camera, i was too far away. actually i can just make myself out in your group photo Kevin. and that photo of Damo staring straight at you is priceless. It definitely pays to be there early!