Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 02-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Default Ever heard Damien on radio/tv??

Just realised that I have never ever heard a Damien song being played on the radio. Or a videoclip in a music tv channel (exluding shows like Grey or House or Lost). And I listen to music/watch music channels all the time...

The only time I heard a song was on So You Think You Can Dance (I know... guilty pleasure), when this guy did a solo using The Blower's Daughter as music...

What about you all?? Do radios play Damien where you live?? Maybe in the UK/Ireland??

Last edited by borneoman; 02-17-2008 at 02:23 PM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Rai
Eskimontologist

I saw the 9 Crimes video on VH1 once. It was quite a surprise.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:16 PM
viv
This message has been deleted by viv.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

I saw him once on Tv. He was at the ellen show and performed dogs. And Lisa was there too!!!

After that, never again...

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
mark.
Eskimo Friend

His singles get good radio play in Ireland (well, not all of them. Cannonball was on all the time, 9 Crimes got quite good play as well)...his show in Marley Park was broadcast on radio too. And he's on TV every now and then too - on Other Voices more than once and other things. I've seen his videos on MTV2, VH1, Magic, The Box and Q. And his songs have been used in plenty of TV shows including the ever popular Lost and Grey's Anatomy...so...he does alright :P
mark. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

North America is full of **** music... (sry, just my opinion :P) In Canada, tv stations such as much music play nothing but pop, rap, r&b crap... rarely they have a segment for new bands and stuff, but i have stopped watching it all together... There is also Much More Music, it plays more mellow stuff, but still includes a large bulk of the bull crap that's out there today. I think it's hard for a TV station to not play the big hits, as well as radio... i almost never listen to the radio, for the same reason. MTV... ugh, don't even get me started.. haha

I've only seen of damo on much more music is the Live from Abbey Road performance. I think i saw them play 9crimes once too when it first came out, that was about it...

i'd love to create my own radio station/tv music show and play indie indie indie, with some classics/rock.
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #6
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Just realised that I have never ever heard a Damien song being played on the radio. Or a videoclip in a music tv channel (exluding shows like Grey or House or Lost). And I listen to music/watch music channels all the time...

The only time I heard a song was on So You Think You Can Dance (I know... guilty pleasure), when this guy did a solo using The Blower's Daughter as music...

What about you all?? Do radios play Damien where you live?? Maybe in the UK/Ireland??
never knew anyone who knew anyone who knew anyone that ever heard him on Radio or TV other Than Letterman, Leno Etc, so that means NO- Never heard him in NY - then def. nowhere else.
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:53 AM   #7
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

^ ditto. there were rumors he was played on the alt broadcast of my local public radio station once but i never caught him. i once called a radio station to request him and as soon as you say "irish singer-songwriter" they assume it's some sort of celtic trad music.. the DJ was really condescending and suggested i check with "celtic connections" for airplay.. idiot.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:42 AM   #8
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

i once heard cannonball on the radio in dallas. i was driving and started screaming
around the time he won the shortlist prize he was artist of the month --or something like that, on mtv2; he was featured a lot. and then besides leno, conan, etc and the tv shows, he was also in acl, but that's pbs so i guess it doesn't count
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:04 AM   #9
cille
creepycute

I've only heard the ¤#&% Cannonball remix quite a few times on hit radio *YIKES*
and of course i've heard a damien song in any tv series there is; lost (brilliantly used actually; Hurley is listening to..I think it was Delicate.. as the last song on his disc man before the battery runs out mid-song), Grey's, House, etc etc.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:40 AM   #10
bjmo11
Eskimo Regular

hes on atleast once a day usually on a local radio station here in maine.
www.989wclz.com
and you can listen to it brodcasted live, but yea they know me on a first name basis cause im always calling and telling them to play damo.

other really good music too, once soundtrack stuff, david gray, ray lomantange, wilco.
you get the idea.

also my buddy has sirrius radio, and theres this station called "the coffee house: that plays him also.

Last edited by bjmo11; 02-19-2008 at 01:54 AM.
bjmo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:56 AM   #11
bjmo11
Eskimo Regular

and as for you people in california, (marti) i'm assuming you must hear him on kcrw? with nic harcourt? if thats his name.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #12
riotana
Eskimo Friend

Hey!
I saw Damien several times on Vh1,with the video at 9 Crimes. Every morning,at 7 am before I left school they put 9 Crimes,and this lasted for about a week or two I was really excited.
Then I also heard him twice at a show that my grandma watches :-| It's a show where you find your husband or something. They put 9 Crimes a long time ago and recently Rootless Tree(but that is rather diappointing,because the show is lame and basically a big scandal). So yeah...I guess I saw/heard him more times than others,so I'm fortunate,aren't I?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #13
kski09
Bugs

The only time I have heard him in America ((which is full of sh*** music btw)) was when I vacationed in the Lake Tahoe area last summer and had rental car with XM radio. I was listening to the coffeehouse station I believe and The Animals Were Gone came on at least twice a day ((mind you many of those stations are recorded reruns day after day))

HOWEVER - I've been meaning to bring this up - though the song was by Damien, it was different than the original from the record. I know this may seem crazy, but I know it was different. I'm sure everyone here has heard the original song from the record, or any of his record versions for that matter of any song, and knows the song like the back of their hand. And so I am telling you I know that song was different. The inflections in his voice were subtlely different. To the casual listener, I'm sure it would sound identical, but an avid fan with a trained ear like mine can spot difference, and that song was different. It isn't necessarily better or worse than the original, but there are definately spots slightly slower, faster, and an overall more human aspect to the recording out on this station. Has anyone else heard this song on XM radio?
kski09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #14
tarasova
Eskimo Baby

Dude, I'm brazilian. In Brazil, soap operas are part of everyday life - even if you don't watch them, you know what's happening. People talk about the characters all the time, there are jokes involving them all the time, etc etc. A few months ago, one of these soap operas had The Blower's Daughter in its soundtrack - but it was a translated version. Words can't describe how hard it sucked. Seriously. If you are curious, it was sung by ANA CAROLINA, check it out.

Point is: I was quite used to being the only person in my country who knew Damien - but suddenly the song was EVERYWHERE. The TRANSLATED song was EVERYWHERE. It was pretty close to my concept of Hell; everytime I got into the bus, the song was there. Everytime my mother was watching TV, the song was there. Seriously, my ears bled.

The worst part was everyone squeeing and saying how much they loved The Song, but it was the TRANSLATED VERSION, so even my desperate efforts to bring people to the Light Side and turn them into newborn Damien fans were worthless!

I always say I wouldn't mind if Damien had a hit here - it could mean a tiny little chance of him coming to Brazil, but, honestly, I'm so glad The Song is finally gone I'm almost ok with the fact I'll have to wait and go abroad to see him.

(and now there are about FIVE of us! People who know and love the man, I mean. XD)

(I tell no lies! THANK YOU FOR THE AWESOMENESS, Damo! <3)
tarasova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #15
verenita
... trusty and true ...

believe or not, i did!... both of them...

the first time was on tv, sony entertainment tv (latinamerica)... they air some micro about music and one day, very early in the morning (about 6 am) they aired "rootless tree" video... i was so exciting, i couldn´t barely believe how lucky i was... cause i turned on the tv just for a few minutes (i use to use the tv as a lullaby some times), i was doing zapping and voilà! i just saw the video... i´m pretty exciting right now, just for remembering...

and i listened damien on the radio too... a couple of month ago:
i was coming back from my friend´s wedding and i was sleeping on the back seat... suddely, i woke up and i heard "did i say that i loathe you?, did i say that i want did i want to leave it all behind?... i can't take my mind off of you"...
wow!... "the blower´s daughter" playing on some argentine radio!... yes!... ok, it was 06.30 am and this radio is kind of "old songs radio"... but still... damien on argentine radio!... i could barely smile... but it was a beatiful smile!

another one... i wasn´t me... but my sister heard "the blower´s daughter" was played on local tv show (very cheese and teenage tv show, but still, it was him!). i remember she was very exciting because of my excitement!, he...
Old 02-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #16
cille
creepycute

^^ I wonder if the brazilian version is as icky as the greek version of the song?
Heh, you mentioning brazilian soaps just brought back memories of endless series like Isaura and The Plantation Owner's Daughter (these were the danish titles, I dont know their original portugese titles)
Old 02-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Gatsby
This message has been deleted by Gatsby.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #17
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i used to work in a convience store and the cannonball remix was on a cd of "recommended retail music" and was sent over from amsterdam including alot of other extremely annoying music too..

needless to say i went insane at that job and had to leave. plus my boss is now clinically depressed. Im not linking the two things together but, really, it must all add up

hah. im glad i dont hear damien on the radio that much anymore, the radio is just contrived crap filtered for people's untrained musical ears. or garbage..

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #18
Kilombo
Mba'e teko pio?

A german TV show ("kulturzeit" on 3sat for the germans) once showed his video of 9 crimes, I was pretty surprised, though it was the only place i would possibly expect some of his stuff.
I doubt a major radio station here would play some Damo.. but since I never listen to any I might be wrong..

Oh and I have some fuzzy memories of people walking around shiny beaches, dressed in way to bright colours, having problems like "who of you three guys is the father of my unborn child? oh! it's three babies!you all get one!" ... you meant that kind of show right, tarasova? god, how people can get crazy for that kind of stuff
Kilombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #19
bjmo11
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kski09
The only time I have heard him in America ((which is full of sh*** music btw)) was when I vacationed in the Lake Tahoe area last summer and had rental car with XM radio. I was listening to the coffeehouse station I believe and The Animals Were Gone came on at least twice a day ((mind you many of those stations are recorded reruns day after day))

HOWEVER - I've been meaning to bring this up - though the song was by Damien, it was different than the original from the record. I know this may seem crazy, but I know it was different. I'm sure everyone here has heard the original song from the record, or any of his record versions for that matter of any song, and knows the song like the back of their hand. And so I am telling you I know that song was different. The inflections in his voice were subtlely different. To the casual listener, I'm sure it would sound identical, but an avid fan with a trained ear like mine can spot difference, and that song was different. It isn't necessarily better or worse than the original, but there are definately spots slightly slower, faster, and an overall more human aspect to the recording out on this station. Has anyone else heard this song on XM radio?

i know EXACTLY what you mean, when i was listenin to coffee house on sirius, almost all the songs were different and in just the slightest of ways, i only heard damien once cannonball, and it was normal, but i heard like 3 different versions of david gray songs. i wonder where they get them?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:36 AM   #20
eskimo_prague
Eskimo Regular

I also caught "Rootless Tree" several times on Sony Latin America. I was so surprised the first time! They played it a bunch of times at about 3 AM in the morning (not the best hour but still very exciting hehe).

I also caught the "9 Crimes" video on Telehit once. And I guess that's about it.
eskimo_prague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #21
tarasova
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
^^ I wonder if the brazilian version is as icky as the greek version of the song?
OMG, who IS that guy??? I guess the brazilian version is still worse, Whatshisface at least makes me laugh. Ana Carolina makes me wanna DIE SLOWLY AND PAINFULLY AND DEAF. But it's hilarious to compare the Average Pop Stud's video with the original one. Can you guys imagine Damien winking to the camera and seducing some Average Pop Model-Actress (hopefully shorter than him) in his videoclips? That would certainly grant him some more TV appearences. We're so very lucky he's not interested in that. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
Heh, you mentioning brazilian soaps just brought back memories of endless series like Isaura and The Plantation Owner's Daughter (these were the danish titles, I dont know their original portugese titles)
Isaura is quite famous, but I have absolutely no idea what you mean by THE PLANTATION OWNER'S DAUGHTER! XD Could it be O Rei do Gado? Italians, coffee plantation, tragical love stories, tragical deaths, tragical etc? (but then again, that description fits about a hundred other brazilian soaps! XD)

Old 02-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #22
Rai
Eskimontologist

^Jeez, Isaura.... It was a huuge craze over here a long time ago, maybe early 90's, Its sure that I was too small to remember. But lots of people donated money for her operation or dunnowhat. It was crazy. But for some reasons, Brazilians soaps disappeared in the last ten years.

Ana Carolina is the lady with the voice of a man singing Blower's daughter with Seu Jorge on youtube?

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 02-22-2008, 10:06 PM   #23
tarasova
Eskimo Baby

^ Erm, operation? You mean the actress, I hope. XD Though I never heard of any operation.

And yep, that's her.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #24
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

^ yeah, melissa posted the link and i posted a mediocre translation that was followed by a proper one, ha ha
here's the link: http://eskimofriends.com/forum/showt...ighlight=jorge
i love the ana carolina's version

oh that reminds me, i miss our brazilian friends, gustavo, mayara, etc

Last edited by Cali; 02-22-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:55 AM   #25
A2_Blue
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman

In Ann Arbor (where I live) there is a local radio station 107.1 that plays "Quality music from then and now" They mostly play indie music including Glen Hansard, Damien Rice, Ray LaMontague, and other similar artists. Most common of Damien's music played is the Radio version of Cannonball, Dogs, 9 Crimes and Coconut Skins. Used to hear The Blowers Daughter but not so much anymore.
A2_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:22 AM   #26
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

^ that's soo lucky of you. I want that station here!!!

Oh and there's a version in spanish as well

Don't think its thaaaaat bad but i find Ana Carolina's version to be the best one i've heard... Aside from Damien's of course

No puedo dejarte de amar
The video is not official.

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #27
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarasova
Isaura is quite famous, but I have absolutely no idea what you mean by THE PLANTATION OWNER'S DAUGHTER! XD Could it be O Rei do Gado? Italians, coffee plantation, tragical love stories, tragical deaths, tragical etc? (but then again, that description fits about a hundred other brazilian soaps! XD)
i did my research, the real title of the other soap is "Sinhá Moça". I dont remember any italians, but there was all the tragedy and drama and plantations you say - if i'm not mistaken, The daughter of the plantation owner fell in love with a slave or something, but i could be remembering wrong.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #28
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarasova
^ Erm, operation? You mean the actress, I hope. XD Though I never heard of any operation.

And yep, that's her.
I've looked it up now. In the late 80's, when the series was popular over here, people collected money and sent it to the state TV station that was airing the programme with the intention of freeing Isaura. I'm not kidding, this actually happaned. Not once, twice. I messed it up, and it was the second, the donations for the eye surgery of Esmeralda of another series that I remembered, from the late 90's, that confused me. Scary stuff...

Old 02-25-2008, 03:40 AM   #29
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2_Blue
In Ann Arbor (where I live) there is a local radio station 107.1 that plays "Quality music from then and now" They mostly play indie music including Glen Hansard, Damien Rice, Ray LaMontague, and other similar artists. Most common of Damien's music played is the Radio version of Cannonball, Dogs, 9 Crimes and Coconut Skins. Used to hear The Blowers Daughter but not so much anymore.
Can't believe in Michigan? you can here Damien and Ray Etc, and not NY, somethings wrong with this.
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:47 AM   #30
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali
^ yeah, melissa posted the link and i posted a mediocre translation that was followed by a proper one, ha ha
here's the link: http://eskimofriends.com/forum/showt...ighlight=jorge
i love the ana carolina's version

oh that reminds me, i miss our brazilian friends, gustavo, mayara, etc
and amie r. and renata and especially felipe, happy birthday today felipe! *abracos*

i miss them too, cali.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote