Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 12-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #151
administrator
forum administrator

PART TWO OF THE INTERVIEW:

"I had difficulty with certain things," he says. "I guess in your own country you can get trapped in that small-town mentality. I needed to spread my wings, needed to experience being out of Ireland. In the Czech Republic I was living in a little cottage, going to the bakery in the morning, buying my newspaper. I enjoyed observing the culture, I used to like being the observer, it's important for the songwriting process. Back at home being relatively recognisable, I wouldn't say famous, you can't really observe as much as you used to. I mean I still get called Outspan . . . it was nice to escape that for a bit."

He currently lives "between Prague and Kildare", where Marina Guinness has let him live in part of her home. He has no specific plans but is contemplating a move away from Ireland to Barcelona, or New York, Paris or Prague. "It's just that idea of taxi drivers taking the piss with fares, and paying stupid amounts of rent, and it's always raining, and everybody talks to you like, 'who the f**k are you?'," he says, adding that it can be a chore some days - "when I'm tired or feeling thin-skinned, I swear they can smell it" - to walk down Dublin's George's Street because of the abuse he gets.

"I don't want to be all 'poor me', and I have to say Irish audiences have been incredibly supportive, the only patrons of our music for the past 17 years, but there is this sense of ownership where people feel they can come up and tell you their opinion . . . tell you how to do your job . . . and it can get irritating when someone calls you a prick for no reason."

He remembers having a conversation with "a bonafide Irish rock star" about this issue. "His take on it was that the Shamen never mixes with his people, he stays on the outskirts of the village. The way the Shamen works is he operates under a sense of fear and respect. You never see him eat or wash his clothes . . . he has this gravity, there is a respect, but that doesn't exist in Ireland, in Ireland everyone is a Shamen," he says, and it feels like a deeply Eyebrowy moment.

He is not all doom and gloom and talk of the rightful position of Shamens in our society. He says in Ballymun, where he grew up, he has never had anything but encouragement from locals. And he recounts with genuine wonder the story of Once and Sundance last February. How Carney, Irglová and himself had booked flights home from the festival on the Friday even though the award ceremony was on Saturday. And how they began to get a sense that it might be worth sticking around. And how they changed their flights and won the award, and how he rang his mother who works night shifts in an old folks' home and how she cried proud tears. And then how Fox Searchlight came calling to distribute the film, and Stephen Spielberg was inspired by the movie and they did a publicity tour. And how on the publicity tour he and Irglová fell in love.

He is shy about this part "because it's nobody's business but we discovered this was a nice thing, it's been a very enjoyable idea so far, we just feel very fortunate." Does he worry about the age difference? "When I let myself think about it I do - she was 13 when I first met her and when I put her forward for the part in the film years later I had no idea I would end up having a romance, but it happened and I am rolling with it. If you meet someone in your life who makes you happy you have to go for it."

Irglová, with her gorgeous Eastern European accent mixed up with a sprinkle of inner-city Dublin, is more forthcoming. A classically trained pianist, she has happy memories of jamming with Hansard who used to get her up on stage to sing the Frames tune Star, Star . "Everyone falls for Glen," she says. "He is so charismatic and just a very nice person who makes beautiful music. I took it as a certainty that his music would happen in a big way for him but I didn't realise that I would take any part in it. I am so happy that I did play a part . . . it was weird that it happened in a way that didn't include the band. I don't want the boys to feel left out but I think they are smart, grown-up men and they know the success is already translating to the band. There is no jealousy, they are just very cool with it all."

The way Irglová tells it, the relationship was inevitable. "I have to say I'd always been fascinated by him and felt a strong connection. When I was younger I knew it couldn't happen, so I put it away . . . I did have feelings for him, strong friendship feelings; it was out of the question that anything would have happened then, I wouldn't have gone there."

She says they felt something changing during the making of the film. "It was the longest period of time we had spent together up until then. After that we went our own ways and came together to publicise the film and that was when it felt like now might be a good time. Everything happened really naturally and organically, just getting to know each other."

Her father, Hansard's friend, is supportive of the relationship but Irglová is not dismissive of the 18-year age gap. "It is a big gap," she agrees. "I would understand if he felt uncomfortable about it but I don't feel like that. I always saw this as something that would happen in the future. I always knew we would end up together, I had some kind of hope for it."

When the next few months are over, the possible Oscar, more touring for the film, she will leave this part of her musical life behind. "Music has always been a hobby, although I will probably always be involved in Glen's musical activities. I don't want a career out of this, I think I will end up working with children," she says. Hansard, who says he is wary of "cashing in" on Once, is looking forward to reuniting with The Frames.

We had been talking about why there is an anti-Frames mentality among certain people in Dublin and a couple of days later he sends a text: "I think the reason people give The Frames a hard time is that we never went out and did a Snowpatrol, and because we didn't bring home the success the press turned on us," he writes. "And it's something we genuinely never wanted to be honest. We didn't want to be the biggest, fastest, loudest, and that confuses people. Maybe I let people down by staying true to my idea of success. I thought all the bands in Ireland were part of a 'community'. I was wrong. If it's a race I'm not running. Art shouldn't be reduced to the stakes of a sport. There is no best. No number one, only truth and lies. And people are smart and they know the difference."

Hansard and Irglová will be back in Dublin for a New Year's Eve Frames gig at Vicar Street. They are looking forward to it - Irglová to spending more time in the adopted country she feels has a certain "magic", and Hansard to being with the band and back among the loyal fans of The Frames and, despite all his criticisms, just to be home in Dublin celebrating the turn of the year.

The day after our interview, he says he wants to make something else clear concerning his critique of modern Ireland. "I just want to add that the way I am feeling about the country is that I am heartbroken - that's my emotional perspective on what is happening in Ireland," he says. "I don't want to be one of those people who whinge or complain because it doesn't get anybody anywhere. The reason I am being hard on Ireland is because I love it and because I love being Irish. It's just when I see what has happened it breaks my heart."

When we speak again he has just been for a walk with Irglová in the countryside. He says, not for the first time, that he is confused. Hansard has spent a long time on a journey, struggling to make it to a certain point, and now, having arrived at that point, he is unsure about what lies ahead. "It's probably not a great time to do interviews," he says, and you can hear the rueful smile in his voice. "And the last thing I want is to be just another mouthpiece sounding ungrateful because the truth is I am grateful and I feel incredibly lucky. It's a very interesting time."

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #152
She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd
so.. i was checking to see if glen and mar have got a website going for "The Swell Season" but nothing doing.. so i checked out their myspace to see if they had an official link there... but i only found the frames site... i decided to peak at the blogs and i noticed that glen and mar actually write them their selves and reply to peoples comments and messages!!! It's died down a bit now i believe but they are one of the bigger artists that actually control their own myspace! I just think they are freaking awesome and completely true to their fans.. <3

yep they will probably be having an official site too soon..

Last edited by She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite; 12-28-2007 at 02:40 PM.
She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #153
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

^ goodie1 ...

^^ i'm stealing this lil bit from that interview... it's just lovely... maybe because i'm thinking of a past relationship but i like it...
"If you meet someone in your life who makes you happy you have to go for it." - Glen

say it ain't so mar!
"When the next few months are over, the possible Oscar, more touring for the film, she will leave this part of her musical life behind. "Music has always been a hobby, although I will probably always be involved in Glen's musical activities. I don't want a career out of this, I think I will end up working with children," she says. Hansard, who says he is wary of "cashing in" on Once, is looking forward to reuniting with The Frames."

She isn't pursuing a career in the music industry! So this is like a limited time offer! hehe.. Well, i hope it lasts a long time because it's just real special and a real treat to listen to. <3
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #154
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

wow.. highs school drop out at age 14. this is a very interresting interview that i'm not sure has been seen..(if it has i'm sorry :P) but this is pretty interresting.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=kIKztNul9fU

Old 12-31-2007, 12:03 AM   #155
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

I dunno if someone posted this already but among the 59 songs in the Oscar's shortlist for best song ... Once has 2!!!

1.If you want me
2.Falling Slowly

Awesome right!?

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #156
Mitten
Eskimo Friend

I actually made this post over a week ago but it obviously got side-tracked into the ether on it's way here!

Good to see Glen and Marketa on the Christmas Other Voices Special. Glen accompanied Colm MacConiomaire on guitar, then later in the prog Glen and Marketa did their fabulous version of Van Morrison's "Into The Mystic" with Phillip King on mouth organ. Luke Kelly said that this song won't be repeated when the full series starts, so looking forward to more songs fromGlen + Marketa

RTE billed it as a "Sinead O'Connor" Xmas special so I wasn't expecting Glen and Marketa and tuned in in time by accident!

I thought I'd share a few visuals:

Marketa is so pretty:

Old 01-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #157
RonjaGirl
Eskimo Regular

^Hi Lyn,
seeing this pics of the show makes me even more excited ...
Thanks so much!!!

I found a great interview with Glen and Mar on this site...
http://pwradio.net/podcast/
You can listen to it here:
http://pwradio.net/p1/ep_03_pwradio.mp3

The Interview is from the Jan 28th 2007, so it's pretty "old" and I don't know if you've heard it before, anyway, it's pretty interesting.

In the Interview Mar said, that the music she likes to listen to at all times are The Frames and Damien Rice...

Lisa on Oct 3rd 2008!!

Last edited by RonjaGirl; 01-11-2008 at 04:28 PM.
RonjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #158
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

^awesome! thanks

Old 01-12-2008, 01:05 AM   #159
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitten
RTE billed it as a "Sinead O'Connor" Xmas special so I wasn't expecting Glen and Marketa and tuned in in time by accident!
Me either! We just had it on in the background, and then all of a sudden I heard some very familiar voices!

Can't wait to see the proper show - or Colm's solo set.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #160
RonjaGirl
Eskimo Regular

ONCE is out in Germany!!!
Even though I've seen it many times already...I'm going to see it in the movie theatre!!!
Sadly, I don't think that they will come to Germany any time soon...

Lisa on Oct 3rd 2008!!
RonjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #161
Kilombo
Mba'e teko pio?

Oooh thanks!! I almost gave up hope... I think tomorrows gonna be the day then (I'm glad they have the original on they're regular schedule, dubbing is one of the worst german habits :/)
Kilombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #162
coldwatercannonball
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rue Saint-Denis
This has been on the swell season's myspace. Glen writes his own blogs, how nice is that.
actually that's so nice it borders on unblieveable
coldwatercannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #163
Rai
Eskimontologist

Its more of a Frames-thing but anybody else noticed that according to Glen, his songs change meanings from concert to concert. For example, I have a Lay Me Down when its "about the importance of letters" and another where its "about the idea of going to work in a job you don't particularly love". Or even during a single introduction like Set List's Your Face ("Sitting in a field in Malahide " and "Listening to Bob Marley at home, on a stereo, making tapes for your mates". Its kinda funky

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #164
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

^Lay me down is also supposed to have been written for one of his girlfriends that was into the goth scene. He wrote her the song and gave her a lot/hole in a cemetery ... apparently told her if she wanted to be burried besides him...

interesting, to say the least....

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...

Last edited by mariaoran; 01-16-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:17 AM   #165
ennui
Veracious Iota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Its more of a Frames-thing but anybody else noticed that according to Glen, his songs change meanings from concert to concert. For example, I have a Lay Me Down when its "about the importance of letters" and another where its "about the idea of going to work in a job you don't particularly love". Or even during a single introduction like Set List's Your Face ("Sitting in a field in Malahide " and "Listening to Bob Marley at home, on a stereo, making tapes for your mates". Its kinda funky
I expect it's part of the entertainment factor as a singer/songwriter/performer. He probably just likes to have fun and tell interesting stories... After all, isn't that what folk music's all about?
Old 01-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #166
Rai
Eskimontologist

Once has been nominated for the Oscar!!!

Best music (song)
Falling Slowly - Once (performed by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova)
Happy Working Song - Enchanted (performed by Amy Adams)
Raise It Up - August Rush (performed by Jamia Simone Nash and Impact Repertory Theatre)
So Close - Enchanted (performed by Jon McLaughlin)
That's How You Know - Enchanted (performed by Amy Adams)

Glen will have to walk the red carpet, weehaa!!

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #167
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

sooo exiting!!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #168
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Maybe he'll invite us all to go along as his guests??

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #169
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Once has been nominated for the Oscar!!!

Best music (song)
Falling Slowly - Once (performed by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova)
Happy Working Song - Enchanted (performed by Amy Adams)
Raise It Up - August Rush (performed by Jamia Simone Nash and Impact Repertory Theatre)
So Close - Enchanted (performed by Jon McLaughlin)
That's How You Know - Enchanted (performed by Amy Adams)

Glen will have to walk the red carpet, weehaa!!
Falling Slowly is really dreadful. Typical of an Oscar nominee so.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #170
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by srahman24
Me either! We just had it on in the background, and then all of a sudden I heard some very familiar voices!

Can't wait to see the proper show - or Colm's solo set.
the proper show will air at the end of february and early march..glen and mar are scheduled for the section in march, colm is scheduled for a different day than the pair though..as soon as i get the green light will let you know about the exact times and dates...
Old 01-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #171
Eskimo Regular

also who would like to enjoy more of the great mac con iomaire

colm did a new bbcn.i. programme which airs on thursday coming. viewed worldwide on www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer.

At the minute last weeks show is up there, Colm's will be up on friday. The show airs on BBC 2 NI - channel 144 if you're viewing via sky from the south of Ireland - at 10 pm this coming thursday.
he played blue shoes.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #172
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

wow!
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #173
October Sky
Eskimo Regular

I'm so happy for them! I was hoping for more nominations, but at least this film and the music has been getting so much credit unlike most deserving musicians.
October Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #174
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
the proper show will air at the end of february and early march..glen and mar are scheduled for the section in march, colm is scheduled for a different day than the pair though..as soon as i get the green light will let you know about the exact times and dates...

Thanks! I hope someone tapes it and puts it up online somewhere... seeing as I'm back home now with no access to RTE

Congrats to Once though! I was hoping for more than one (can't believe Enchanted got three nominations! It was amusing, but three?), but this is still great!

Now, let's just keep our fingers crossed that the WGA strike ends quickly and the awards actually happen so Glen and Marketa can get the spotlight they deserve.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 AM   #175
sandyelephant
Eskimo Baby

I'm really happy they got a nomination. I love Once and they are such talented musicians.
But none of them bought.
sandyelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:02 AM   #176
verenita
... trusty and true ...

by reading the interviwe (for the first time, thanks emmet!)... i msut to say...
i applaud this man!...

damn! i want to see once, but htere´s no news about this film in here..
Old 01-27-2008, 07:45 AM   #177
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

ugh.. i've watched this movie too many times... it's so ****ing good haha.. my bro gave it to me for christmas.. and ughhh soo good.. lol i've seen it before but it's just aaaahh haha... i want to see the alternate ending tho!! the dvd doesn't have it! but ya... i watch the movie then i really get caught up in the music again and stuff.. it's just awesome.. glen and mar are just awesome together...

i think it was like the 4th time i've seen it.. hehe

Old 02-03-2008, 06:12 AM   #178
rodeojones
Eskimo Baby

wait..what do you mean..what was?
rodeojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #179
glo32
Eskimo Regular

oscar performance confirmed!

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova will perform their "Falling Slowly" (from "Once"), and Jamia Simone Nash will perform "Raise It Up" with the Impact Repertory Theater of Harlem (from "August Rush," music and lyrics by Jamal Joseph, Charles Mack and Tevin Thomas).

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...&cs=1&nid=2562
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #180
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

Just the other night Glen And Mar were on the Jay Leno Show and they performed "When Your Minds Mad'e Up". You can watch it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsifiXDijbY