Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 07-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
tywy
Eskimo Regular

Default Montreal Gig

Ok, so last night one of my dreams came true...I saw Damien in a forgein country. I was always trying to get to Paris for gigs but could never make it. When I found out Damien was playing Montreal when I was gonna be there I ran around the house telling my whole family and then rang my friends. I'm a loser I know!

So anyway, I'd been reading these boards about Damien supporting Fiona Apple and all the reviews hadn't been positive. So I was a bit worried that maybe Damien wouldn't be in good form or whatever. I've seen him about 10 times in Dublin (planning to book tickets for Vicar St :P). He was brilliant everytime. Thankfully I was not let down last night. He was deadly!!!

He opened with The Blower's Daughter Part II. It's one of my favs I have to say. He then went onto Volcano which was sweet! I can't really remember the order after that but I can tell you what he played. Seeing as the gig was in Montreal he wasn't sure whether to speak French or English. Somebody shouted FRANCAIS. So he spoke mostly in French which was SO HOT! Anyway back to what he played - The Professor & La Fille Danse which was cool as always. He played Delicate, Older Chests, I Remember, Grey Room (really good). He played Accidental Babies. So he was singing away and then it got to the part If so, be free If not, leave him for me Before one of us has accidental babies Just as he said accidental babies the guy in front of me started laughing. So Damo says "Fcuk! Shut up it's not funny!" It was SO funny!

He also played Babe I'm Gonna Leave ya that was just before Grey Room I think. I was like WOOT! I love that song! He played another song kneeling down and I don't know what it's called. I've just looked through the lyrics section and I can't find it...must be a new one So yeah then he did Amie. He told the story with the Scottish accent into the distortion mic and then he told it in French in the regular mic. It was hilarious. He kept getting mixed up and speaking French into the distortion mic. It was hilarious. That was the last song before the encore. Then he came back on and did Cheers Darlin'. He asked someone in the audience for a cigarette and told the usual story about meeting the girl in the bar. He downed three glasses of wine in the process. Twas very entertaining. He finished with the Blower's Daughter/Creep which was pretty darn good too.

All in all a great night! Really nice venue, really good atmosphere and Damien was in great form! Can't wait to see him in August!
tywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #2
irene
Eskimo Baby

oh my God, I was the girl who gave him the cigarette!!!!!!!
the show was ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!! It was the first time I saw Damien live and it lived up to all of my expectations and more.....
After the show I wanted to drive to QC city to see him there tonight LOL!
It was one of the best shows I've ever seen, and it was really nice to see him at a small venue like that!
irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
cille
creepycute

it really sounds like he is in good form, great to hear, thanks!
Old 07-22-2006, 01:26 AM   #4
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by irene
oh my God, I was the girl who gave him the cigarette!!!!!!!
the show was ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!! It was the first time I saw Damien live and it lived up to all of my expectations and more.....
After the show I wanted to drive to QC city to see him there tonight LOL!
It was one of the best shows I've ever seen, and it was really nice to see him at a small venue like that!
did you go to QC? hope there are some recordings around later.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
DRQuebec
Eskimo Regular

I was in Montreal and Quebec City.
Montreal show was so awesome because Damien was a little drunk and he was very funny. Quebec City show was way more introspective (can you say that in English?) and Damien almost didn't say a word. Close to the end of the show, he explained us why : hangover. Yep, he said that he and his friends in MTL went way over the line so he wasn't even able to think about what songs he already wrote (he was asking the crowd to tell him some...). At the end he was a little bit more talky, but the people started acting like stupid low class. It was funny at some points (one guy offered Damien to smoke weed, which he did, and some others were paying him drinks) but at the end there was too much. Musically though, Damien met the expectations as usual. He looked very sad and you could see some tears in his eyes during some of the songs. Really really different from the MTL gig, I'm glad I saw both of them.
DRQuebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Those shows sound amazing. I wanted to rush off to the Montreal one after seeing him in Toronto. Now I definitely regret not going - he did Grey Room & Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You?

It would be so amazing if someone taped these shows and was willing to share them!
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote