Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 06-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Default Apple G5 vs. PC Q's

Hey guys, I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about Apple and their products lately. If anything, I've been told to buy the G5 since it's strictly designed for music but I also have a very good PC. Decisions, decisions. My question is this, have any of you had experience with the Apple G5 and ended up switching from PC to Mac or would be willing to lend some more information my way? I've been doing quite a bit of research but the sites I've visited only tell you what they think you want to hear. I'd rather hear the details from actual users! Thanks again.

Last edited by Valentino; 06-12-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
Bumpman

If you've got the money and you're planning on getting serious about recording you won't go far wrong switching from PC to Mac. A Mac with a Core 2 Duo can run the Leopard OS and handle 64-bit computing on the same operating system as 32-bit computing. To the user that means that you can basically guarantee that 64-bit programs will run at over twice the speed based on Operating System alone. The hardware in an Apple is designed for recording and editing at a professional level, programs like Audition, Protools, Ableton, Cubase and Reason are designed with Apple as their primary hardware platform. On top of that the actual hardware design of a Mac is better suited to handling large amounts of data without crashing or slowing to a walk. As an added benefit 99 out of 100 of computer viruses, trojans and worms don't apply to a Mac. Assuming you've got enough cash to pick and choose what kind of Mac you want there's a few things to look out for:

Firstly and most importantly; make sure you get a Mac with Intel Core 2 Duo processors. Without them you're limited to 32-bit computing. (This will mean you'll have halved the speed of the programs which will be important to you and only have saved about ten dollars.)

Secondly, the Leopard operating system is coming out soon. It's worth waiting for to say the least. If you want to buy the Mac now you can buy the Leopard OS later for $129, there's only one version of it, and it's the full 64-bit one. I'd recommend waiting until it comes out, and buy the whole lot together, but it's up to you.

Thirdly, as time goes on you tend to get comfortable with having a library of everything you've recorded. All this stuff should ideally be backed up in FLAC or WAV and burned to DVD for safe keeping. It's easy to fall behind on that point though, so having anything less then a 200GB hard-drive shouldn't even be an option for you. Apple puts these in G5's, iMac's and Macbooks though. So it's not a big hassle; just don't cheap out at the last minute.

Lastly, you were informed correctly, a G5 is specifically designed for music. Don't immediately disregard the iMac or Macbook as possible choices though. Although they're not designed with the same processing-load in mind; they're still brilliantly useful for the price. The reason I say that is because the difference in price between buying a new G5 or a Mac Pro, and buying a new iMac or Macbook could be $3,000 against $1,000. However for all intents and purposes there's nothing to say that spending the extra $2,000 is going to provide you with three times the punch. If it were me; I'd be trying to strike a balance between hardware and software. Just remember that you'll still need to think about buying software after you have your Mac. (Generally it's pretty difficult to download pirated software for Mac's.)

The good news is that you've picked a good time to shop. There's a completely new line of Apple hardware and software coming out as we speak. Within a few weeks everything should be in the shops. I don't think there's release dates for some things; like the new iMac. It's all on the way though, if I were in your shoes I wouldn't be actually shopping before late August/early September.

Good luck with it.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

we have a pc for just regular stuff and a macbook with intel core 2 duo - i bought my husband the macbook specifically for him to use it to record his music. He is delighted with it and he knows all about computers and whatnot so id say its a good sign. i use the macbook all day long for internet and itunes so thats all i know hehe

and photobooth is fun!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Thank you very much for the tips. I'll definitely look into everything you've said and update the boards with what I end up purchasing. Peace.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote