The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 11-02-2006, 11:16 PM   #31
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by solace
there's 3, confirmed w/ my friend who works for the Hennepin Theater Trust

i've been in the pit before (was front row for Beck/Lips & Ryan Adams in '02), but couldn't remember if it was 2 or 3 rows.
Sigh... I really should have bought the 4 seats I pulled in row D.... especially as we have friends who live 20 minutes from downtown Minneapolis.... oh well, I'll simply have to hope for luck in getting comparable seats for the Beacon & Tower Theatre gigs.... (keeping fingers crossed that they do NOT go onsale at the same time!)
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:43 AM   #32
northberwick
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13086
where is the mall of america in relation to this venue?
Not within walking distance. However, there is a light rail station in downtown mpls that goes to the MOA. Probably a half hour ride there. The mall is closer to the airport if you are flying in, only a couple of miles away.
northberwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:51 AM   #33
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13086
where is the mall of america in relation to this venue?
it's in shakopee, which is about a 20-25 minute (?) drive from downtown minneapolis/st. paul, it's not too far. i can't stand that place though, i'm not a mall person and it's just so huge and behemoth.. it kind of frightens me

i prefer the little cafes and hippie shops in dinkytown. they have a nice music store down there too if you're looking for a guitar, but i can't remember the name of it now..

edit: northberwick got there ahead of me.. hey north do they still have the electric fetus in town? i always used to go there to buy records but haven't been in ages..

Last edited by SisterMidnight; 11-03-2006 at 12:55 AM.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:00 AM   #34
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

Thanks!! I don't like malls, nor shopping for that matter. I was wondering because I used it as a ploy to get my mom or sister to go with me!! thank you very much!!

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #35
northberwick
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
edit: northberwick got there ahead of me.. hey north do they still have the electric fetus in town? i always used to go there to buy records but haven't been in ages..
Yeah, it's still there, here are directions:
http://www.electricfetus.com/rel/v2_...=227&deptnr=18
Old 11-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #36
solace
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
it's in shakopee, which is about a 20-25 minute (?) drive from downtown minneapolis/st. paul, it's not too far. i can't stand that place though, i'm not a mall person and it's just so huge and behemoth.. it kind of frightens me

i prefer the little cafes and hippie shops in dinkytown. they have a nice music store down there too if you're looking for a guitar, but i can't remember the name of it now..

shakopee? that's a bit west sistah . the MOA is in Bloomington, and about 3/4 of a mile from the airport.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=60+Eas...m=1&iwloc=addr

and yeah, as far as malls go, there's 2-3 malls i'd go to way ahead of the MOA.

and yeah, fetus is still open. Let It Be and Aardvark are gone now tho
solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:18 PM   #37
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i must have been thinking of valley fair i love their waterslides.. yeah don't ask me i'm just an Idiot Out Wandering Around

would the locals like to recommend other ideas for places to stay, eat, shop, cool things to see? for instance, where is this "watchtower" from the famous dylan song? i'd like to see that if only for historical purposes..
Old 11-04-2006, 11:47 PM   #38
lisa84
Eskimo Friend

hey everyone,

I am going to my first Damien Rice concert, at this venue. I'm driving 10 hours from Canada, but it's very much worth it. I'm super excited! When I was getting my tickets yesterday, I was unfamiliar with the venue and accidently ordered (possibly/probably) disappointing seats when I could have had ones much better. Anyways, I was just wondering what the venues policy on cameras is? I have a good camera with 12x zoom that I've had lots of luck with regarding the pictures at concerts, and I of course want to bring it for this.

Thanks
lisa84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #39
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

I'm afraid I don't know the venue... but I'm sure most places don't mind people snapping a few photos... do they?

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:50 AM   #40
lisa84
Eskimo Friend

The concerts I've been to (in Canada) don't search bags for cameras, but I just didn't want my camera to be taken away. Or, moreso, I don't want to leave it behind to find everyone else WITH a camera, but not me! For those who have been to this theatre before, do they search? Thanks!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:01 AM   #41
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

where in canada are you from lisa?

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:18 AM   #42
dmbarbie69
Eskimo Friend

Lisa84 im pretty sure they dont let ya have the camera's it sucks. where are your tickets at?
dmbarbie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #43
lisa84
Eskimo Friend

I'm from Manitoba.

That sucks if it's true. I think I'll call ahead to the theatre that day just to check though. I had been searching online for pictures of the Orpheum Theatre, to see if I could get a view inside and there were tons of pictures of other concerts, such as The White Stripes...so maybe they do? I guess we'll see! My seats are row DD. But I've come to terms with that and decided NOT to care, because I still get to see Damien Rice!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:59 PM   #44
dmbarbie69
Eskimo Friend

yeah i saw damien this summer open for fiona apple......it was really good there even though he only played for like 45 min. i pretty much paied a buck a min to see him play lol . lisa84 you wont be let down the venue is pretty cool. what songs does everyone think they are gonna pull out this tour?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:27 AM   #45
solace
Eskimo Baby

Swell Season are no longer opening this show due to The Frames having a gig in Belfast on the 21st. Chicago will be the last opening slot for SS

blasphemy i know, but i'm almost tempted to sell my tickets... i had to stretch my usual limit a bit to spend the $45 or whatever because of it being Damo + Glen, and now it's not :-/
Old 11-11-2006, 11:02 PM   #46
northberwick
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by solace
Swell Season are no longer opening this show due to The Frames having a gig in Belfast on the 21st. Chicago will be the last opening slot for SS
Where did you hear that? I had never heard of them until I found out they would be the opening act and was somewhat excited to hear an opening band for once.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:02 PM   #47
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i'm not too bothered about it, i saw the frames open for damien last tour and was kind of surprised he was taking them (or glen i guess) out again, i was hoping to see someone new support him..

if it's true i hope they don't add another support slot.. it's the last night of the tour right before christmas. i can see them doing an acoustic set (like the kcrw session) or like the show they did in pittsburgh on easter sunday last tour.. or maybe damien will do a solo set and extend the show! which would be fine by me, i always find myself waiting for the support act to hurry up and finish anyway..
Old 11-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #48
solace
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
i'm not too bothered about it, i saw the frames open for damien last tour and was kind of surprised he was taking them (or glen i guess) out again, i was hoping to see someone new support him..

if it's true i hope they don't add another support slot.. it's the last night of the tour right before christmas. i can see them doing an acoustic set (like the kcrw session) or like the show they did in pittsburgh on easter sunday last tour.. or maybe damien will do a solo set and extend the show! which would be fine by me, i always find myself waiting for the support act to hurry up and finish anyway..
well The Swell Season's music is a lot different than The Frames, so it'd be a very different dynamic.

but yeah, i'd be A OK w/ no opener now
Old 11-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #49
joe563
something strange

Hey everyone! This is going to be my first Damien Rice concert and I'm very very very excited!!!

The Orpheum is a great venue; very pretty. It's also right in the heart of downtown Minneapolis, so you guys won't have any trouble finding places to eat and shop. Also, I think there are quite a bit of clubs in the area if you are in the mood to dance after?

For me, I think my friend and I are going to get appetizers and dessert @ The Melting Pot before the show. It's a fondue chain and a couple of streets away from Hennepin, but pretty close. If you havent been to one, its' pretty pricey if you're getting a meal meal, but appetizers and dessert should be reasonable if you split the bill. Plus, it's just a fun experience.

Also, I just want to say, when driving on Hennepin, read the lane signs very carefully, because one time I was driving in the bike lane for a hile, lmao. Also beware of the light rail tracks in Minneapolis; i know people who have ended up driving on them by accident, Also it's going to be frickin' cold in December, fyi.

And mickey, if you do not like malls, don't go to MOA. It's enough to drive us mall-haters crazy within two minutes. Seriously, if your family likes shopping, I personally think Roseville has a lot better deals and is not so overwhelming. But like someone else said, the MOA is right by the airport, so that might be easier?

So where is everyone sitting [Section, Row, Seat]?

I have [MF 1, D, Seat 12] & [MF 1, E, Seat 12] My friend and I thought it would be better to get as close as possible than to get seats together, else we would be sitting in Row R or so. We hope to get the person in E Seat 13 or 11 to be willing to move up a row to the row D seat, so we can sit together, but we'll see, else we'll be right behind each other.

Like I said, I'm really excited. Right now I'm in college in CA and so I'm really excited to not only come home and be done with finals and all that, but I FINALLY get to see Damien Rice!!!

For the shows and concerts I've been to at the Orpheum, they have had a no cameras policy, however, I dont remember security being super strict.

Last edited by joe563; 11-16-2006 at 10:41 AM.
joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:15 AM   #50
Tainted Wheat
Eskimo Baby

Bad:

-Not ordering tickets for this show because I thought I had a final that afternoon.

Worse:

-Finding out not more than an hour ago that I DON'T have a final then and I COULD make it to the show.
-Ticketmaster being sold out (although they don't say it)
-Ebay $200 +

Tainted Wheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:02 PM   #51
dmbarbie69
Eskimo Friend

ah that sucks, where do you go to school?

the concer only a few days away i really cant wait people. its really really going to be amazin. and this time i dont have to watch fiona apple as well
Old 12-18-2006, 01:05 AM   #52
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

um.. has everyone else received their tickets from ticketmaster? i got an email on november 1st saying they had been printed and would be shipped shortly, but i haven't seen them come in the mail yet.. they say to wait until 48 hours prior to the event before contacting customer service but this is cutting it kind of close
Old 12-18-2006, 02:58 AM   #53
dmbarbie69
Eskimo Friend

i would be scared ive had mine for a month or so . where are u sittin? u didnt throw them out did u ? they make it look like a random thing of mail sometimes it is tricky
Old 12-18-2006, 05:26 AM   #54
lisa84
Eskimo Friend

I received mine a few weeks after I ordered them (and they were shipped to Canada). Regarding the above comment, I was THISCLOSE to throwing them out, because I DID think they were junk! I hope everything works out!
Old 12-18-2006, 11:52 PM   #55
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

you guys were right, it was in my junk mail box! i don't throw it out right away so i put it in a box to sort through later and after what you guys said (thanks btw) i looked and i found it in there.. jeez you think they would mark it better..

i'm in row c dmbarbie..

SO excited for wednesday, only two more nights i'm kind of hoping lisa does a set since swell season won't be there, i'm really liking what i've been hearing from her lately.. vyv too, they should do a girls only set like the boys only paradiso gig
Old 12-19-2006, 11:04 PM   #56
joe563
something strange

there's not gonna be an opener tomorrow?
joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:26 AM   #57
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

nope, not that they've announced anyway
Old 12-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #58
domi0036
Eskimo Baby

so, are we thinking that means they're going on right around when the show is supposed to start, or do you think they'll still go on about an hour or so after the scheduled start time?
domi0036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #59
dmbarbie69
Eskimo Friend

hey im glad ya found your tickets in te junk mail that would have been bad news. if anyone is sittin in row E MF let me know thats where im at !!!! tonight is the night
Old 12-21-2006, 05:17 AM   #60
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Anyone back from the show ???
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote