Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 08-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
Timeé
Intello

Default Introduction to Cello?? please help

I am interested in playing cello. I play guitar and piano and am wondering would i be best off learning violin first and then move on???

and also how much money roughly are you talking to spend for a decent cello?
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Bumpman

Decent how? You could spend €50,000 on what some people might call decent. I'd say go shopping with $700 for a student cello, make sure it's full sized (4/4 size). Don't bother with the violin, just get the cello and start playing. Don't buy a cello from the more conventional shops either. Here's a good place to start looking.

I actually encountered the same cello dilemma about eight months ago, the advice I was given from on high, was to try all the music school noticeboards (The College of Music on Chatham Row, The Academy of Music on Westland Row and Walton's School of Music on George's St). Private sales might not be a bad idea.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Greenmeanie
green and mean

wow I've wanted to learn cello too for absolutely ages, I recon this is a sign... 700 euros tho - man thats about 600 pounds isn't it. Hm.
Greenmeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #4
Timeé
Intello

decent as in cheap

something to add more sound.

starting off kinda one.
hmmm maybe i should wait 700 sounds teenily steep
Old 08-01-2006, 10:05 PM   #5
Beevers_uk
Esquimal Conducido Pasión

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.

I sued to play when i was in primary school, played for about 5 years!

- Im Not Who You Think I am, I Slipped A Stranger Inside -
...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
- You'll Be My Muse, And I'll Be Your Poet -
...~My Myspace Thingy~...
Beevers_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:39 AM   #6
Bumpman

I'd sue a primary school if I could too

That's why I was advised to check the music schools Timmy, because there are people who buy them for €700, then become very good. Save all their pennies, and splash out two grand. They then sell the first one for half the price... You only have to wait if you're not planning on using that thing between your ears.

Mr Green, as the stock market stands, €700 is £478.

Timmy, if you're just looking for something to add sound there's no reason to wait, buy an old trumpet from an antiques shop and use that, or get a viola and string it with electric guitar strings, It worked for John Cale. That is if you're just looking to create an interesting sound... As far as 99% of bands today are concerned, an "interesting sound" is a six note bass solo. It doesn't take much to be creative with music, the startling thing is that most people are quite comfortable to sit around doing what everyone has done before, but with worse lyrics. Just do something you haven't already seen.

Cello can be fantastic though, despite how it looks it's relatively easy to get a good sound out of. It works really well with other instruments, especially since you don't have frets to worry about, everything just gets itself into key.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #7
Greenmeanie
green and mean

Just for the record, it's ms. Thanks for your music school idea tho, I'll be having a shop around too.
Greenmeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
Bumpman

No problem sir.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #9
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

yeah, a 700dollar, i know euros are different from dollars, cell is a very cheap cello. i own an inespensive cello that cost $1200. i just got rid of my last stand up bass and bought a new one about half a year ago and it is only an ok one and it cost me $4300. it's older, but i bought it in near perfect condition for being used. my buddy has a nice double bass that cost him $6500 and it is in horrible condition, but it sounds amazing. but to most professional musicians a $10,000 stringed instrument is a cheap one. really nice classical guitars start around $30,000 and can reach over $100,000. which is just insane.

don't bother learning another stringed instrument first. if you DO want to learn something besides cello don't learn violin... learn the viola. it, like the cello, has a C string. the violin and cello have different strings.

cello strings starting from the lowest string is C, G, D, A.

a violin is from lowest to highest G, D, A, E.

a bass from lowest to highest is E, A, D, G.

a viola is like the cello C, G, D, A.

cello is prolly one of the easiest stringed instruments to learn. It is the easiest to lear vibrato on and it isn't nearly as hard to learn to bow properly such as a violin or viola. bass is complicated, because you have to learn to play with your elbow up and stretch farther while being accurate. also you have to adjust your body movement alot to goto the low E string on bass.

i'd say get about 700 together and go find a nice starter cello. get some how-to books on it and you'll be set. also, if you buy from a shop then have them teach you the correct technique on how to use the tuning pegs on Cello's, because it is VERY VERY easy to break strings and bridges on cello's. they can show you how to do that properly and you could prolly get them to tune it perfectly and then put tape markings on which will show you the correct spots to put your fingers when learning and if you keep it in tune everytime you play they will basically be in the correct spots all of the time.

good luck man!
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:08 PM   #10
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
I'd sue a primary school if I could too

That's why I was advised to check the music schools Timmy, because there are people who buy them for €700, then become very good. Save all their pennies, and splash out two grand. They then sell the first one for half the price... You only have to wait if you're not planning on using that thing between your ears.

Mr Green, as the stock market stands, €700 is £478.

Timmy, if you're just looking for something to add sound there's no reason to wait, buy an old trumpet from an antiques shop and use that, or get a viola and string it with electric guitar strings, It worked for John Cale. That is if you're just looking to create an interesting sound... As far as 99% of bands today are concerned, an "interesting sound" is a six note bass solo. It doesn't take much to be creative with music, the startling thing is that most people are quite comfortable to sit around doing what everyone has done before, but with worse lyrics. Just do something you haven't already seen.

Cello can be fantastic though, despite how it looks it's relatively easy to get a good sound out of. It works really well with other instruments, especially since you don't have frets to worry about, everything just gets itself into key.
don't wanna aruge, but saying everything just gets itself into key is... uh.. well, not correct at all. it is alot easier to play OUT of tune with other people on a fretless instrument and to play well with others you have to be dead on.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:43 PM   #11
Bumpman

I meant that in terms of wanting to add an interesting sound to something that already exists, what with the strings at a low C and G and all that, in the beginning stages of playing you could concieveably play a cello part that sounded somewhat substantial but required very little effort.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:49 PM   #12
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
I meant that in terms of wanting to add an interesting sound to something that already exists, what with the strings at a low C and G and all that, in the beginning stages of playing you could concieveably play a cello part that sounded somewhat substantial but required very little effort.
oh ok. i got ya... i was just like... what is this guy talking about? lol

yes, also, it makes it easier to play cello also, because you can play the bass music easily too! cellos tend to use two clefs. the C cleff and then the bass clef. mhmm... low C is such a beautiful sound and the tone is unmatched by anyother instrument!!

do you play any stringed instruments, besides guitar, bumpman? play in any orchestras or anything?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:49 AM   #13
Bumpman

If by orchestra you mean a four-piece experimental noise ensemble, then yes, yes I do. I play guitar, piano, cello, bass, drums, harmonica, synth, djembe, I do a lot of sampling, I play a few instruments that I don't even know the names of and I play the spoons... yeah that's right, I play the spoons. And what's more, I'm barely even embarrassed.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #14
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

that is awesome bumpman!!!

right now i'm in a jam band where we are running alot of weird synth effects on our recordings and alot of weird guitar effects live. it's pretty crazy. we just like to screw around cause my friend has a nice PA and some dec. recording equipment. i play guitar, electric bass, stand up bass, violin, cello, harmonica, piano, lap-steel, drums, classical guitar (a whole different world of music!), and then i play some minor keyboard work, then i do alot of sampling and electronic beats on a korg sampler/drum machine. my brother just got a new djembe cause his old one got stolen, so i like to play around on that too. but i love running a lap steel into an effects processor... it sounds so f*cked up! lol oh yeah, and i can barely play the flute! its fun, but i don't have any really serious band going. i'd love to have a band where i just f*cking rock out on my guitar playing sweet jams, badd a** solos, and use trippy sound effects.

mad props for the spoons though!! a kid at my school played the song "spoon man" for a guitar concert at school a few years ago and he completely sucked it up while playing the spoons.

any samples or recordings of your little band you got going? i'd love to hear another fellow eskimos work who seems to be going the same musical direction as me!
Old 08-03-2006, 04:29 PM   #15
cello_pudding
Eskimo Regular

i own a 1250 dollar cello.

but i got it used from ebay. 260 + 30 shipping= 300.

now that's a CHEAP cello.

its sounds decent with good strings on it. the bow and your fingers are where a good portion of the tone will come from.

i had to really dig through a lot of lame cellos on ebay to find a decent one though.

go for it for sure though. not enough string players in the world. if you want to get something cheap...get a viola. i love it's size and its range and NO ONE plays viola. i like cello a lot more, but if you want to be different and play a string, viola is a cool option too.
cello_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:36 PM   #16
cello_pudding
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
If by orchestra you mean a four-piece experimental noise ensemble, then yes, yes I do. I play guitar, piano, cello, bass, drums, harmonica, synth, djembe, I do a lot of sampling, I play a few instruments that I don't even know the names of and I play the spoons... yeah that's right, I play the spoons. And what's more, I'm barely even embarrassed.

got any recordings? i'm a folk/classical (nick drakish) guitarist that plays cello, violin, piano, accordion, glockenspiel, bass, drums...no spoons though.

we sound like a similar breed. do you like the tosca string quartet? you should watch the movie "a waking life" or go to www.myspace.com/toscastringquartet and listen to mi otra mitad de.... REALLY cool music.
cello_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:10 PM   #17
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Cell_pudding

yeah, i agree. on my cello i found the tone to be sub par but not too bad, but when i sold my bow and bought a new one that cost me 400bucks it just made the tone sound so much better! it also uses black hair on it, which looks cool too! i need a new cello bow though, because i traded mine old one in and then replaced it with a new one that i make payments on, because this way if any damage occurs they'll fix it for free instead of me straight up owning it right away and now since the weather got all crazy the bow doesn't tighten up enough anymore, so i have to have it fixed. i also need my violin bow restrung.

ebay is a great thing!!! you can find all kinds of great deals. i was going to sell my old stand up bass on ebay for 700, but then i donated it to our local middle school, because it was a half sized bass, i was very small kid for awhile, and they had some really short kids, but couldn't afford to get basses to accomidate their size, so they were all playing basses that were far too large. plus, my parents ended up getting to use it as a tax write off, so it was ok.

we need to make an eskimo band with all of our crazy talents put together!
Old 08-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #18
Bumpman

I'm vehemently opposed to uploading my own music on the internet, I've always felt that it kind of devalues it or something, for the sake of some yob from stourbridge saying "you guys own", it's just not worth throwing yourself into that whole myspace/bebo thing. I'm sure I'll be proved wrong in the future, I'll hang on to my delusion for a while though I'm sure we could make an eskimo band though, what with the magic of wav files, email and overdubbing and so forth... I get to record a lot for college too actually, fine art and all that. They love stuff they haven't heard before, and people always need music for film and stuff, that's always the easiest to record because you can just build on the same idea for ten minutes and have it go nowhere, and it still works.

I've heard that carbon bows are quite good, I guess they'd be unbreakable and still light, have you guys ever played with one?
Old 08-04-2006, 06:57 PM   #19
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
I'm vehemently opposed to uploading my own music on the internet, I've always felt that it kind of devalues it or something, for the sake of some yob from stourbridge saying "you guys own", it's just not worth throwing yourself into that whole myspace/bebo thing. I'm sure I'll be proved wrong in the future, I'll hang on to my delusion for a while though I'm sure we could make an eskimo band though, what with the magic of wav files, email and overdubbing and so forth... I get to record a lot for college too actually, fine art and all that. They love stuff they haven't heard before, and people always need music for film and stuff, that's always the easiest to record because you can just build on the same idea for ten minutes and have it go nowhere, and it still works.

I've heard that carbon bows are quite good, I guess they'd be unbreakable and still light, have you guys ever played with one?
hell, the postal sevice made band without recording together or working together... the just mailed it to eachother.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #20
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

It's funny actually, my band mates have been scattered all over the globe this summer (from New York to Thailand) so we've had to bounce stuff back and forth over the net. It's not the same as them actually being here but it's better than nothing
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:30 PM   #21
Bumpman

Yeah, I could imagine it being like sex by post.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:37 PM   #22
WhatAmIDarling?
Eskimo Regular

I think that knowing how to play the violin helps when learning how to play virtually any other instrument. But I'd just dive right in.

I played the cello for about 3 weeks.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #23
Timeé
Intello

did you own one??
are they expensive?
Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 PM   #24
WhatAmIDarling?
Eskimo Regular

Nope, it was loaned to me via the public school system. I was learning to play to help out a youth orchestra (they didn't have a cellist).

But I imagine they're fairly expensive. Find a music store and see for yourself.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #25
Timeé
Intello

feckin free for all in U.S.

bastards in Ireland.
our system is so crap. and argh we have class musicians.

AAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH