Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-07-2004, 10:17 PM   #1
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

OK so last night Amanda (who I'mgoing to Pittsburgh with Sunday)and I are at kareoke as we are every Tuesday evening and we had heard the guy was getting a new page of songs...

So guess what got added? That's right, kidsamo! I had no idea he was well known enough yet here in the midwest to be getting that kinda treatment but we could hardly contain ourselves. Especially because the song that got added was none other than "Cannonball" which was the song thathe first blew me away withlast year when he was on Letterman. It's still probably my favorite on that album (but it gets harder to say whichnowadays).

Needless to say we had to duet on it and I vowed to sing it every week from now until doomsday or until they end up adding "Blower's Daughter or something six months from now if we're lucky.

The only thing that was weird though was that it turned out to be a remix version which neither of us had heard with a dancy type addeddrum track and was somewhat speeded up. Anyone else heard that version?
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:21 PM   #2
ali*
eskimo drama queen

thats the single version i think, wow. i cant believe he's on karaoke, how bizarre....omc, anyone remember them...god i hated that song
Old 04-07-2004, 10:32 PM   #3
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Yeah, Cannonball has been remixed. Damien did not have anything to do with it, though. It is on a couple of the Cannonball singles. The remix was done by producers Mark 'Spike' Stent and Paul 'P-Dub' Walton. It is pitched up in speed and they have added drums and bass. Kareoke versions of songs are often re-recorded, so I don't know if it is the exact same track, but if it's not, itdoes at least sound like it isbased on the remix version of Cannonball.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:54 PM   #4
ali*
eskimo drama queen

go magnus, the fountain of all knowledge[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2004, 11:03 PM   #5
unexplainedmuse
Eskimo Regular

thats so awesome that damien got added to the karaoke list ^_^

i cant wait til im able to go out to karaoke..

i can now..but id have to leave at 11:00 and stuff...and that would just suck.

stupid age limits

but yeah....yay...the pittsburgh show on sunday!we should have a little eskimo friends meetup thing or something [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

i think there were a few others going to the show as well on here
Old 04-08-2004, 12:04 AM   #6
cille
creepycute

yeah, heard the up-tempo version too...

actually when damien was in Copenhagen he started cannonball in the faster tempo, then stopped it, saying something like 'see, the same song but such a difference', and then they started it again, but in the 'old' version... i am not entirely sure what he wanted to demonstrate by that, but i'm guessing he isa little tired of the pop version. the only version of a dr song i ever heard on danish radio. don't know why somebody thought they had to change that fab song (for the worse, i'd say). well i guess i do know why. that's the kind of arrangements pop radios want. *sigh* that's just so much the opposite of what damien as i see him.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:03 AM   #7
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Thank you Ali! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

You're right Cille. Damien hates that remix version. He has said in interviews that it was something the record company (Vector or 14th Floor) pushed through. He has not got anything to do with the remix and a part of the deal when the record company forced it through was that they would never ever do something like that again. Wherever it appears (except for on promos and the Cannonball 7") Damien has written this about the remix on the back of the cover: "Please note that track 1 is not a true representation of Cannonball the song on the album o. It is a remix. Please listen to the album to hear cannonball. Thanks, Damien"

It appears that the new Cannonball video is madefor the remix version of the song as well, so I guess this remix will stick around for some time...
Old 04-08-2004, 11:10 AM   #8
cille
creepycute

arrgh, damn the record industry[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2004, 11:22 AM   #9
Enoch
Eskimo Regular

I just heard that remix again on BBC Radio2. It's crap.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:57 PM   #10
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus
Damien hates that remix version. He has said in interviews that it was something the record company (Vector or 14th Floor) pushed through.
Is that something you saw in a printed interview or heard on the radio?
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:03 PM   #11
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali*
thats the single version i think, wow. i cant believe he's on karaoke, how bizarre....omc, anyone remember them...god i hated that song

how bizarre how bizarre duh duh duh[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

*secretly goes and downloads it*[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:09 PM   #12
ali*
eskimo drama queen

NOOOOOOOOOO simon!!!!!!!! i WONT let you *struggles to pry mouse out of jewellers hands*
Old 04-08-2004, 06:18 PM   #13
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

oh man i have about 10 good comebacks but here is not the place nor time[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #14
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
Quote:
Damien hates that remix version. He has said in interviews that it was something the record company (Vector or 14th Floor) pushed through.
He may have said it in the only post I've ever seen him make on the official forum.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:40 PM   #15
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
Quote:
He may have said it in the only post I've ever seen him make on the official forum.

Thank you Ian!!! I was about to go insane here, because I couldn't find it... Been looking for that quote forat least an hour... [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2004, 08:13 PM   #16
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

I found one of the posts I was thinking of. It is not made by Damien though... Perhaps Damien's original post was on the original official message board which is no longer available... (?) Anyway here isa link to the topic:

http://www.damienrice.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=233

The post I was referring to is the one by someone registered as Scon (!)Good ol' Scon has made one post on the offical boards... And what a post! [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]

Scon where did you get this exactinfo originally?
Old 04-08-2004, 08:18 PM   #17
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

He made the post around the time that the single came out so whenever that was is where to look. Perhaps it was on the old board.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:06 PM   #18
ali*
eskimo drama queen

hmmm, karaoke is slightly japanese orientated isn't it? or should that be oriented[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] (worst joke EVER).
anyway, 'Volcano' has been added to one of the many playlists on the japanese airline flight from heathrow to Tokyo. Of course I wasn't on the damn flight or anything....*sigh*
also i just noticed in the latest edition of Mojo magazine, 'Eskimo' comes in at number 100 in 'The Mojo 100 Epic Rock Tracks'. a bit of the blurbstates:'Heroic, uplifting and over-the-top.......tunes that shamelessly emody all three of these admirable values.......musical adventuring at its boldest and, in some cases, most foolish'
Under 'Eskimo' it saaays: 'Epic ambition is alive and well as Rice's Leonard Cohen-styled sparseness collides with operatic melodrama courtesy of mezzo-soprano Doreen Curran who provides a soaring, hymn-like climax to the Irish songwriters debut (PA)'

so there's some useless information for all of y'all.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:19 PM   #19
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Ali, that all sounds incredibly cool to me! Damien as elevator music up in the clouds on the way to Tokyo. What's next? [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 05:39 PM   #20
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Thanks Ali for the good (and useless [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]) info! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2004, 05:45 PM   #21
ali*
eskimo drama queen

any time magnus, i come in very handy when it's required.[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2004, 06:25 PM   #22
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]