Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-05-2004, 08:00 PM   #1
sadistic_bunny
Eskimo Regular

lets not start on how damien is perfect and all this hub-bub but really if you could change a line or verse or make any alteration what would it be?
Old 04-05-2004, 08:05 PM   #2
marloes
Eskimo Regular

personally,I'm not too crazy aboutthe orchestration on Amie, it's a bit over the top I think. What about yourself, anything you would want to change?
marloes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:09 PM   #3
sadistic_bunny
Eskimo Regular

im not gone on the big, mad monks singing during cold water...i get the fact that its meant to be kinda spiritual and eerie but its a tad much.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:10 PM   #4
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

I always want him to sing "and I die when he goes around the table" instead of "to take you home"

I know it wouldn't make any sense, but... [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:13 PM   #5
sadistic_bunny
Eskimo Regular

i like your signature...its profound in a kurt cobain kinda way..even though i think hes an egotistical fool but still....

this thread was inspired when a friend of mine said theyd prefer if damo left out the "till i find somebody new" in cannonball but i argued thats its totally relevant to emphasise that hes not really in love just infatuated. i won that argument.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:13 PM   #6
marloes
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadistic_bunny
im not gone on the big, mad monks singing during cold water...i get the fact that its meant to be kinda spiritual and eerie but its a tad much.
also not my most favorite bit.
marloes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:16 PM   #7
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

"till I find somebody new" is from the blower's daughter ain't it?

ps: thanks, I like my sig too [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:20 PM   #8
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

I find almost everything about the album o perfect - "most of the time."Thereare times when I don't like this or that, but theonly one thing I can say I find myself wishingto bedifferent is the cello part on Older Chests. I wishVyvienne hadn't layered it and just kept it as "one cello" like it is whenshe plays it live. I like the way it is done live a lot better than the studio recording.

Also: I have a song that goes "when we were running in the rain" and in Cheers Darlin' I cannot help but sing that when Damien sings "I should have kissed you when we were alone"... Not that I wish that it was different, but that's just something that happens when I hear it... [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2004, 08:24 PM   #9
sadistic_bunny
Eskimo Regular

oh yea...blowers daughter....boy is my face red[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]excuse me while i weep in a corner.

yno what magnus? thats very true..at times, depending on your mood you want to change different things.

i always sing "nothing is breaking me down..instead of nothing is taking me down" in "i remember"
Old 04-05-2004, 09:18 PM   #10
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

"So I look to my hamburger stand...when I'm...hungry." (sh*t) [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 09:28 PM   #11
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

"Amie...come pin on my wall...and be my poster...for sure (doesn't make any real sense again, argh! [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img])" [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] Edited by: Hendrik
Old 04-05-2004, 09:32 PM   #12
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Okay, one (childish) last:

"Tell it, like you still believe...that the end of the sausage (noodle) is...good for you and me..."

Awww. [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

Old 04-06-2004, 12:05 AM   #13
cille
creepycute

I would definately want the string arrangements on Amie to be less dominant, and LEAVE OUT THAT OPERA PART OF ESKIMO! Gosh, i love the tune, but on 'O' I always tend to skip it because of that. I prefer live versions of that one.

My jury's still out on the chanting monks part on cold water, i dunno... what is he saying there by the way, d'you know?

Oh and to go along with Hendriks goofy style: The beginning of cold water to be better if it was

'warm, warm cille sorrounds me now' - eh, ade [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]Edited by: supercille
Old 04-06-2004, 12:34 AM   #14
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik
"So I look to my hamburger stand...when I'm...hungry." (sh*t) [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Lmao!!!Haha,fair f*cks!! [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 04-06-2004, 07:13 AM   #15
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercille
I would definately want the string arrangements on Amie to be less dominant, and LEAVE OUT THAT OPERA PART OF ESKIMO! Gosh, i love the tune, but on 'O' I always tend to skip it because of that. I prefer live versions of that one.
Oh no. I wouldn't change nothin on the album (maybe throw out "Cheers darlin", because musically seen it's very low and boring; well, okay, the lyrics...'I die, when you menntiooon his name'[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]), because it's as great as it is. The first time e.g. I listenend to 'Eskimo' I didn't like the finnish opera singer very much, but now it's sooo gorgeous, cos it is so over the top, that I get goose gimples every time. The same with the lonesome string section in the end of 'Amie'.

But the live version of "Eskimo" with Lisa singin is great, too.Edited by: Hendrik
Old 04-06-2004, 10:14 AM   #16
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

i would get rid of cheers darlin and cold water....i never really liked them as much as the others
Old 04-06-2004, 01:20 PM   #17
rudy
Eskimo Regular

I too wouldmuch rather have Lisa singing the opera bit on Eskimo.
rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:29 PM   #18
cille
creepycute

oh, cold water is one of my fave 'feeling down' songs... couldn't live without it, i don't think...

but actually i was thinking today: how about if damien changed the structure of his songs a bit from time to time? i mean, those songs that start off really quiet and then towards the end peaks in intensity and volume...how about starting off really, really high and then going down, down, down towards the end?

well just a silly thought. love damiens songs and the way he does them, but sometimes the arrangements are pretty much the same....

(sowwy me englis are partucular broken today)
Old 04-06-2004, 10:35 PM   #19
cille
creepycute

hendrik, do you know you look rather a lot like a girl in that avatar portrait of yours...[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
cille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:57 PM   #20
esten
Eskimo Baby

oh my god. can't believe one of you wanted to throw out the opera. i swear, everytime i listen to eskimo and that opera bit comes around, the sun shines brighter than before! it's like a blessing and i wouldn't throw out any songs either cause they give structure.
esten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 11:11 PM   #21
cille
creepycute

well, i agree - it does feel like all of the songs of O sort of belong together.

about the opera bit: well, each to his/her own, i guess. toograndiose for me.

heja norge! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]Edited by: supercille
Old 04-06-2004, 11:15 PM   #22
loucha
Eskimo Regular

i love the opera bit too!! i asked for"o" to be put on our canteen jukebox at college, you should have seen everybodys faces when the opera bit came on.it was even better when silent night came on, i thik i heard some mouthy lad i a corner shout "what the f*cks christmas songs on for, its f*cking march"

i just smiled at his ignorance!!!

theres a part, i think its in i remember (i could be so very wrong here, but im just to lazy to get up and check) but damien comes on and sings something like "come all you lords, drive into.." and so on, but i really can't tell what he says on it so i always change it to "come all you lords, drive into mordor... cause i always think of lord of the rings... i am so gonna cinge when i re-read this!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 11:22 PM   #23
sadistic_bunny
Eskimo Regular

oh...how i wish "o" could be put on our canteen..we have d.j. sammy and the like..so upsetting.i love that bit in "i remember" so powerful...gives me shivers every time.

i bloody hate it when people say"oh hes crap its pure depressing," its like; go away then and listen to your manufactured, happy, pop dribble. i know, i know thats self righteous and "to each his own" but it annoys me when other people impose thier views on me while i just try and enjoy music for what it is....sorry..went on a tangent
Old 04-06-2004, 11:28 PM   #24
esten
Eskimo Baby

haha heja danmark!
esten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 11:31 PM   #25
Dr:J
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik
The first time e.g. I listenend to 'Eskimo' I didn't like the finnish opera singer very much,
She's not finnish btw, only singing in finnish. I could teach her some pronounciation on that bit tho, aswell to damien and lisa when they sing it live

I'd use a lil less strings throughout the whole album, esp on Older chests and at the ending of Amie, which is too long anyway.

I also dont get what the paper mache thing is in I remember. Just dont get it. And "piece of your cake" in cheers darlin?

Then again, it's not my album so..
Dr:J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 11:37 PM   #26
The Plough
Eskimo Baby

im really agreeging with bunny- people call it slash your wrists music and i hate that,i think its the opposite. it makes me feel normal, does that make sense?
Old 04-06-2004, 11:37 PM   #27
loucha
Eskimo Regular

i know it took a few weeks, but trust me we have to spend alot of moey to keep it on, cause theres only a small minority of us that love it, so it rarely gets played!!

i got a few others on it aswell!!!

my next ambition is to have counting crows on it!!!! and then tom mcrae!!! and then ryan adams!!! i can dream can't i!!!ive also recently realised that if you ask for eskimo you get prague and silent ight free!!!

that bit in i remember is powerful, one of my favourite parts in fact!Edited by: loucha
Old 04-07-2004, 02:03 AM   #28
Bumpman

i think it's hard to decide what damien was aiming for with the different diverse bits of the album... as a whole though i think that he achieved the sonic changes he was aiming for... he's only human though, even Jeff Buckley made mistakes.</font>
Old 04-07-2004, 12:25 PM   #29
dyls
Eskimo Friend

The only thing I would change is the number of tracks. I would add another 15 or so. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaah I can't wait for the next album!
dyls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:48 PM   #30
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Plough
im really agreeging with bunny- people call it slash your wrists music and i hate that,i think its the opposite. it makes me feel normal, does that make sense?

I HEAR YA!!!! [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]

Ireally thinkI know what you mean...

Mainstream happy-happy pop chart songs can have a depressing impact on me because it leaves me feeling so alienated.

Oh, hard to express what i mean, really.[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Love, Cille.