Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 01-23-2004, 11:00 AM   #1
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

In the forums of the official Damien Rice web site there have been discussions on whether or not Damien Rice used "samples" on the album o (f.i. the opera part in eskimo). I know that none of you Eskimo Friendshave claimed that Damien used any samples, but some of you might have comments on this topic andbe interested inmy thoughts. Here is what i think:

As far as I can hear, there are only normal recordings and no "samples" in the first four tracks of o.

The sound of talking (and a car passing by) in older chests is children on their way home from school. Although recorded off the streets by Rice himself, I agree that this could be referred to as a "sample".

The sound effect in amie is the delayed noises from an electric guitar, and not what we normally call a "sample". The string section part was arranged by David Arnold and orchestrated and conducted by Nicholas Dodd. The strings were recorded in Air Studios and are not sampled.

The talking in the end of amie and the beginning of cheers darlin' is probably recorded in a similar way as the "schoolyard children sample" : By Rice himself, "out in the field". The piano part on cheers darlin' is played by Jean Meunier, a friend of Damien Rice. This part was recorded in Meunier's appartment in Paris. It is probably because of this that this part has a beautiful sort of "sampled" like quality to it. It is not a normal "sample", though. The other "sound effects" on cheers darlin' also appear to be recorded by Rice himself. The "ticking" sound is a looped recording of strings being tapped against the neck of the guitar. The "swishing" sound sounds like it is made from altering the time setting on a delay pedal. The other sounds in this song are the sounds of glasses, bottles etc. being played as percussive instruments. These rhythmic patterns have been recorded and looped. This is not what we normally refer to as "samples".

The piano in cold water gets its sample like sound from the use of delay. The "backwards vocals" in this song is (to explain in a simple way) just the use of reversed reverb. The "shaking" or "swirling" sound in the background in the end of cold water does to me sound like it is done with, once again, the delay pedal.

In i remember there is a small backwards guitar part in the "bridge" between Lisa Hannigan's part of the song and the last part where Rice sings himself. This is probably made using the same delay & looping pedal (Line 6 DL4) which he is using so many other places on the record, as well as during live performances. The "swirling" sound in the end of i remember is just the drums being put through a effects unit. The "electric" sound sounds like a guitar or a cord with some grounding problems. In the first place it probably got in there by accident, but I assume that they found it to be a cool thing to keep, and decided to stick with it.

The opera part in eskimo not what we normally refer to as a "sample". Although translated into Finnish by Kristiina Aittokallio, this part was written by Damien Rice himself. Doreen Curran who is singing this part is a friend of Vyvienne Long, the cello player in Damien Rice's band. A similar opera part is in the version of eskimo recorded by Rice's former band Juniper, but I do not know if the actual recording of this opera part is the same. From the first time I heard eskimo, I have been hearing something I always found sounding like a French horn. One of the melodies, played by what I think is a French horn, goes: F, E, F, F, E, F, G. This is during the song's climax around 3:30. This instrument is not credited in the sleeve. It could be a misprint in the sleeve, it could be a sample based synthesizer or it could be (and probably is) that I am mixing these sounds up with the string instruments being overdubbed. It would be very unlike Damien Rice to use a sample based synthesizer to recreate an instrument like that, so I am fairly sure that this one is not a "sample" either. The other instruments on this song are credited.

The noises on prague are distorting signals made by overdriving them and the drums on prague sound the way they do, because of reverb.

All in all, I don't think there have been used a lot of samples when making the album o.

Any comments?
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 12:37 PM   #2
myvolcano
Eskimo Friend

the amie part is just an overdrive pedal, more than likely..
Old 01-23-2004, 03:40 PM   #3
Michelle Joey
Eskimo Psychologist

Star for Magnus for writing all that I reckon [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]!!!
Michelle Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 03:51 PM   #4
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Can someone summarise it for me? I'm lazy...
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 03:59 PM   #5
marina
Eskimo Regular

me too, ive had a long day and im still here at work!!
Old 01-23-2004, 05:05 PM   #6
Bumpman

to summarise: no samples on "O", just creative use of pedals/fields
Bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 05:16 PM   #7
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
Can someone summarise it for me? I'm lazy...
In summary, Damien doesn't really sample anything, even if one it tempted to think he does when listing to 'O'. It's all in the pedals!

* from one lazy person to another *</font> [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 05:19 PM   #8
Krystian
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
to summarise: no samples on "O", just creative use of pedals/fields

thanks [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

http://www.chrismahanukwanzakah.com/
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 06:13 PM   #9
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Oops. I didn't see bumpman's post. Geez, I'm spaced out! [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 06:04 AM   #10
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Thanks guys, that's much simpler for me [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote