Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

Default Damien and Ray

That was quite nice to see. Was Damo playing a Martin? That was very unusual looking.
shyatt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Nine
Inuit

that was..... odd.

I liked it, but I felt I would have been more impressed had they done a different song. Not that it isn't a good song, I just think others would have suited them together better.

It was great seeing them together though. Damien seemed to adjust his voice, don't you think? He was definately singing in a different style to what he normally does. Twas quite pleasent.

I'd love to hear more from those two together. Bring on a Damien and Ray gig.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Is it just me or does almost everything mountain man plays start off sounding like he's about to do "Trouble"? Dude, there are other strum patterns and tempos!

Shy- hmm, possibly but I couldn't see the telltale emblem on the headstock.

Gotta say though Ray looks more and more homeless everyday. He could've co-starred in the "9 Crimes" vid with this lil' ensemble.

That splitscreen at the end was not only le fromage fantastique but also made it look like they were singin' about each other.

That'd be one grungey man-wich, eh?

Last edited by Spamlet; 03-04-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
That splitscreen at the end was not only le fromage fantastique but also made it look like they were singin' about each other.

That'd be one grungey man-wich, eh?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

In my opinion, Rays songs all sound extremely similar and his voice has a limited range. I agree with Spamlet, the guitar always sounds really similar to Trouble.

haha what is with these boys pretending to be homeless? Ray reminded me of Damien's ensemble at the Nobel Peace Prize....at least Damien actually looks attractive with a beard, something I don't think Ray has quite yet achieved.

anyway, I didn't really like it. probably because I'm not a huge Ray fan, and I don't like him having lead vocals while Damien's on back up vocals, it really should be the other way around.

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
GoodCatGoneBad
Chicago Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenBledsoe
In my opinion, Rays songs all sound extremely similar and his voice has a limited range. I agree with Spamlet, the guitar always sounds really similar to Trouble.
If you guys are not Ray fans, how many songs of his have you heard to compare?

Quote:
Ray reminded me of Damien's ensemble at the Nobel Peace Prize....at least Damien actually looks attractive with a beard, something I don't think Ray has quite yet achieved.
really? I think he looks quite attractive with his beard To each his own I guess

Quote:
anyway, I didn't really like it. probably because I'm not a huge Ray fan, and I don't like him having lead vocals while Damien's on back up vocals, it really should be the other way around.
I haven't seen the video yet, but I have heard it is "To Love Somebody" (correct me if I am wrong), which is a BeeGees tune Ray has been covering all tour...which would make sense that he has the lead vocals, on this song at least

Ray LaMontagne "To Love Somebody"
GoodCatGoneBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:59 PM   #7
ZachC
Eskimo Regular

i think ray is a great singer songwriter and maybe they do all sound like trouble but its the lyrics that get me ... i think its awesome to see them together ... and now that you think he looks handsome with his beard makes me glad i have mine!!!

Visit me and my band at www.myspace.com/zcraftmusic
ZachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
paulbaptiste
Eskimo Ninja

ray is an amazing songwriter and i'm still hoping to see them tour together. I didn't like ray the first time i heard his album, actually i still don't really like the albums, but his live performance is something to be reckoned with. If you haven't heard him live you need to, i don't know what shows are up on etree right now but there are a couple and those who are unsure of him should check em out.
paulbaptiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
GoodCatGoneBad
Chicago Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachC
and now that you think he looks handsome with his beard makes me glad i have mine!!!
Some guys can just rock the beards!!! If ya got it, flaunt it

I know many girls on this forum will think I am crazy for saying this, but I find Ray ten times more attractive than Brad Pitt types....I think it is because I am drawn to his talent and his shy demeanor...there doesn't seem to be a pretentious bone in his body...I love guys who have got obvious talent but don't think they are god's gift to man....this, makes him irresistible in my opinion
GoodCatGoneBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
StatQuo
You never got me right!

Loved the vid. Damien being my nr1 and ray being nr2. It's lovely to see my favorite performers together. Odd song, but nice to hear.

I disagree on the fact that ray always sounds the same, his first and second LP are like night and day.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

rays style may not be very versitale... but i have to say that i feel his singing was a good amount better then damos on that song.

glad i got to hear that song though i enjoyed it a lot!
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

Ray has got the soul, that's for sure. I still prefer Damien's voice. There did seem something a bit awkward about that, cannot quite put my finger on it. And that guitar does look very Martin-esque to me, though I can't see for sure.
shyatt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #13
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodCatGoneBad
Some guys can just rock the beards!!! If ya got it, flaunt it

I know many girls on this forum will think I am crazy for saying this, but I find Ray ten times more attractive than Brad Pitt types....I think it is because I am drawn to his talent and his shy demeanor...there doesn't seem to be a pretentious bone in his body...I love guys who have got obvious talent but don't think they are god's gift to man....this, makes him irresistible in my opinion

altough i don´t know anything about ray (i´ve never heard his songs), i´m with you... specially the last part.

verenita
Old 03-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #14
Nine
Inuit

i definately think ray's vocal in this performance was better than damien's.

I also agree that a lot of Ray's material sounds similar to his other material, but I don't think that's any bad thing. A great deal of Damien's songs are very similar to his others, particularly in chord progressions. I have no problem with it - why shouldn't it be similar?

I'm just disappointed that the performance wasn't what I had expected, I think they could do a lot better together with more time etc. Even Damien's guitar playing looked awkward during this performance.

x
Old 03-04-2007, 06:36 PM   #15
peterj
eskimo friend

i like it alot. and yea it did seem like damien changed his voice a tiny bit but i thought those two together make a great team...very good vid.
peterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #16
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Default What the hell was that?

To be honest, I'm not a Ray fan at all. I agree with Spamlet about the whole "Trouble" chord progression thing but this only applies to the few songs I've heard. And that's all it takes for me to make a decision. I don't think it's necessary to sit down and listen to every song and then decide whether they all sound the same or not cuz if the first few songs don't grab you, there's no need to proceed. Take it as you will but this video was very awkward for me, especially when they placed each of them singing side by side. Creepy.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #17
Rai
Eskimontologist

Well... First of all, beards are one of the best things on this Earth, I'm glad to own one Secondly, its a rather good cover, I think, not a special one though. And I also think that the split screen part is a wee bit strange, a self-obsessed two-headed monster

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #18
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Cool

I enjoyed that very much. Thanks Emmett..

God some of you guy's are so hard on Damien.. oy!
He sounded perfectly lovely to me.. He wasn't trying to out sing Ray or anything, he was just harmonizing....deferring to him in a way in the chorus .. Nothing wrong with that..
The split screen was fine, I didn't find anything creepy about it...
I have to say I really HATE it when people compare Damien and Ray, they could not be more different, it just seems really silly to me....

I should add that in my mind Damien is in a league of his own>>

Rai my husband is from Budapest too...
cheers...

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice

Last edited by julia; 03-04-2007 at 08:24 PM.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #19
abumchuck
Eskimo Baby

I thought it was really good, although the split screen was a little creepy. The reason Ray had the lead vocals is because he has a much deeper voice and is most likely not capable of singing the higher, harmonized, pitch damo sings the chorus in in my opinion. I thought their voices really went well together.

Is there any chance anyone might have an audio of this they would be willing to share? thanks!
abumchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:32 PM   #20
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia
I
I have to say I really HATE it when people compare Damien and Ray, they could not be more different, it just seems really silly to me....
cheers...
it isn't really comparing the two musical styles together.. it was just saying damiens vocals were off. not comparing them neccessarly.

no one is saying ray is a better singer... just that damo seemed to be off a wee bit on that show
Old 03-04-2007, 09:08 PM   #21
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i'm still trying to figure out why anyone would cover the bee gees...
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:12 PM   #22
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
hey man, steps were the sh*t.

*choke*
Old 03-04-2007, 09:14 PM   #23
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
hahahaha

that was my first though... right when i saw it was the bee gees before i listened i was like "wtf... this can't actually be good... can it?"
Old 03-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #24
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

ah good, it's not just me then

it's not a bad song i guess, but i wouldn't have thought of it being covered.. ray's okay, but i prefer damien's voice (and overall in general)

i'm all curious about the guitar now..
Old 03-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #25
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

well I got over the initial reaction of "wow these two together...awesome." with that being said, i like ray but damien is my elvis. But..I know damien wasn't trying to steal the show and ray has been singing it on tour, but damien seemed really off singing the verse and his guitar playing seemed off, or at least them together.

with that being said, I wish they would have made a better decision of something to play, although it gets better as the song goes on i think. If you were to turn this on and not know who either of these guys were, you would probably think they are lovers... and you would think Ray is a superior singing/performer, when in fact, I just don't believe that is true at all. That's the only problem I have as a Damien Rice fan.

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #26
Minihane
Eskimo Regular

I think it works. I agree with julia there is no point in comparing them they r totally different.
Minihane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #27
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
ah good, it's not just me then

it's not a bad song i guess, but i wouldn't have thought of it being covered.. ray's okay, but i prefer damien's voice (and overall in general)

i'm all curious about the guitar now..
maybe it was a loner... or he was just looking for a different tone by trying out different wood combinations.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #28
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

or maybe he bought himself a new guitar! that's kind of shocking to think about.. i hope he never retires the lowden
Old 03-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #29
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
or maybe he bought himself a new guitar! that's kind of shocking to think about.. i hope he never retires the lowden
noooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 03-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #30
peterj
eskimo friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by abumchuck
I thought it was really good, although the split screen was a little creepy.
definitely, it made it look like they were singing to each other.
peterj is offline   Reply With Quote