Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-30-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
happy2bhere
Eskimo Regular

Default Manchester Apollo Tonight

Finally, the day has arrived and very excited. Would be good to meet fellow eskimos. Say hi if you see me, about 5 ft 4, brown hair, kahaki trouser and green t-shirt; with gorgeous dark haired geezer (me hubby!). Enjoy!
happy2bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

How was it?

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
Nine
Inuit

itching to hear all about it
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:20 AM   #4
eamo_rice
meh

ive posted set list in gigs , but its late and i cant remember thread title, but its prob only one dealing with manc gig.
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:33 AM   #5
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamo_rice
ive posted set list in gigs , but its late and i cant remember thread title, but its prob only one dealing with manc gig.

your psot about the gig was awesome!... thanks for take your time to share all the emotions with us (i say the same for everyone who bring it on as well)
Old 03-31-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
Bred
Eskimo Baby

I just had to register to share my thoughts on last night. I've been to many, many shows over the past 4 years of student life in Manchester, having seen some of my favourite artists along the way, including who I personally believe to be the finest singer/songwriter of our generation, Ryan Adams. But after having witnessed Damien last night, I can safely say that that was easily the most phenomenal gig I have ever had the privelage of attending. It was simply.. yeah, again, phenomenal. I knew he was a top songwriter, but I really had no idea how much of a top, top performer he is. Watching videos of live performances of his really does not do him any justice whatsover. So, yeah. I was to put simply - blown away to the point that I really did not notice Lisa not being there. I know it was my first gig of his, so I had no pre-Lisa breakup gig to compare it to, but if he's even half this good every night, then I intend to make sure this is the first of many, many gigs of his I go to.

The fusion of Coconuts Skins and Volcano was unbelievable. And, Cheers Darlin' was like theater. Oh so many highlights.. Too many to list. But, as has been said elsewhere, the heavier electric stuff sounded top. The improvisation/jamming at the end of most of the numbers was just brilliant fun. That is one tight, tight band. I felt A LOT of love, harmony, and musicianship between them all. It was really beautiful.

To round it off.. To just emphasize how much I enjoyed last night.. I'm planning to buy 2 tickets for friends living in London to catch him on his next leg of the tour. I know if I recommend him, there's no guarantee that they're smart enough to take my advice. So. I will force it on them. I am sure that they will be eternally grateful that I took the initiative.
Bred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
happy2bhere
Eskimo Regular

Was a blinder! Best gig i've ever been to. Totally rocked! Heavier, rocky stuff is totally the way forward and i love it! Was a bit surprised by audience, not many requests. I shouted for I remember and he played it better than any version i've ever heard. Was totally blown away by it. Audience generally well behaved, could have heard a pin drop at the end of the softer songs. I've waited 4 years to see them and cannot stress enough how the band have exceeded all my expectations. I didn't miss Lisa and having seen them without her, i can understand the direction he (possibly/hopefully!) wants to go in now.

Did think that he's looking a bit pale, hope he gets a day off soon to recover. Definatly needs a good home cooked meal! Tomo was awsome and so fit! Viv wearing gorgeous shoes! All ye that have yet to see them are in for a right treat! Please leave a review, nice to compare!
Old 03-31-2007, 02:38 PM   #8
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bred
I just had to register to share my thoughts on last night. I've been to many, many shows...

That is one tight, tight band. I felt A LOT of love, harmony, and musicianship between them all. It was really beautiful.

I can totally understand you. it takes a lot, a lot.. to make music like that. i am always amazed by the energy he exhibits. glad to know that the band is in good form.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:32 PM   #9
desole
Eskimo Baby

Still in awe of last night's gig, it was absolutely amazing!! Coconut skins/volcano completely blew me away... Everything blew me away, it was one hell of a show.
desole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:53 PM   #10
happy2bhere
Eskimo Regular

Really was amazing wasn't it. Total emotional rollercoaster. So glad that i'm seeing him again in october. Was loving the harder, rocky sounds. Cheers darlin was very comical! Thought the opening with woman like a man was perfect. Set the tone nicely.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:45 PM   #11
desole
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bhere
Really was amazing wasn't it. Total emotional rollercoaster. So glad that i'm seeing him again in october. Was loving the harder, rocky sounds. Cheers darlin was very comical! Thought the opening with woman like a man was perfect. Set the tone nicely.

Yes the opening really set the pace for the whole show, I just thought, wow this is really going to be something. Then into Cannonball and I was nearly in tears. I was pretty overwhelmed to be there.
desole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:23 PM   #12
happy2bhere
Eskimo Regular

Just found Cheers darlin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb5rRCWbfR8 Enjoy!

Last edited by happy2bhere; 03-31-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
Ricicle
Eskimo Builder

Just got back from Manchester, (made a bit of a weekend of it!), thought I would add my thoughts.

Never been to a Damien gig before, (not for the lack of trying.....was getting married in Antigua during his last gig in the uk!!), and as 'Bred' said, been to a lot of gigs in my time, but this one just blew them all out of the water!! (cold water at that!!)
The artistic content from both Damien & the band was out of this world, with the extended versions on alot of the songs, being closer to a jamming session, than a live concert..only a true pro could get away with that me thinks..!

Thought the set list was spot on, with a nice rocky beggining & ending, and with the slower songs squeezed in.
Damien AND the band, did really well without Lisa there, and whilst some of the higher pitched harmonies/intros etc, which Lisa used to do, where attempted by Damien, I don't think it detracted from the songs at all.

As already posted the coconut skins/volcano fusion was just superb, but highlight for me......I remember. simply awsome..

Looking forward to Plymouth Pavillions in October now...

R.
x
Ricicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #14
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

I posted some of my videos in the Manchester post in the Gigs sections
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote