Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-27-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
administrator
forum administrator

Default Hot Press Article on Lisa

From Hot Press:

After parting ways with Damien Rice, the race to sign Lisa Hannigan to a solo deal is well and truly on. “If what I’ve heard is true and she’s already working on her own album, there’s going to be one hell of a bidding war,” a prominent A&R source tells Hot Press. “The four or five million people who own Damien Rice records all know who Lisa Hannigan is and what she’s about, which gives the record company who snaps her up a huge market to aim at. They’ll want to know if her writing is as strong as her voice, but otherwise it’s a no-brainer.”

The task of vetting potential suitors falls to Damien Rice’s manager, Bernadette Barrett, who’s indicated that she’ll continue to represent Hannigan.

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Well from what I've heard, I think that her writing is not up to scratch and I'm not too sure, although I love her voice so much, whether I'd buy her album. Saying that, she deserves any wealth and popularity that comes her way.
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
hyacinth
Eskimo Friend

I'm interested to hear what her solo album would sound like, I hope she does release one.
hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
administrator
forum administrator

i thought her songs on Other Voices were fantastic!

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
audity
High-Five Eskimo

I bet Heffa won't be bidding for her

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
cille
creepycute

I think she should go for jazz musicians for her songs, it'd suit them. They don't have all that much meat on them, but with a jazzy feel I think they'll work in their own right.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
I think she should go for jazz musicians for her songs, it'd suit them. They don't have all that much meat on them, but with a jazzy feel I think they'll work in their own right.
I'm not on this opinion... To tell the truth, I got fed up with the recent surge of light-jazzy female vocalists and I don't want Lisa to become another Norah Jones or Diana Krall there is enough of them already. I think the Other Voices band was perfect, because it let her best asset, her voice dominate the songs. The band only did some ornamentation, the most prominent backing was from the precussion... Hell, I could even listen to her a capella singing for ages.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

wasn't too gone on the other voices songs either. they're all a bit....dull and depressing - hmmm...similar to how I find 9. where'd the happy songs go?? (a general question)
Old 03-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #9
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Cascada got all the happy songs
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

That's why Cascada is the #1 album in Ireland
Old 03-27-2007, 10:57 PM   #11
audity
High-Five Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
That's why Cascada is the #1 album in Ireland
That is not why Cascada is #1 in Ireland

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:17 PM   #12
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

why then?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:53 PM   #13
breadfan35
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator
i thought her songs on Other Voices were fantastic!
They were ok. Not great, but ok. There is definitely potential for her.
breadfan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:31 AM   #14
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
I'm not on this opinion... To tell the truth, I got fed up with the recent surge of light-jazzy female vocalists and I don't want Lisa to become another Norah Jones or Diana Krall there is enough of them already. I think the Other Voices band was perfect, because it let her best asset, her voice dominate the songs. The band only did some ornamentation, the most prominent backing was from the precussion... Hell, I could even listen to her a capella singing for ages.
I am so with you reg. the fatigue with soft jazz-pop, but jazz doesn't necessarily have to be light you know - it can be mad, speedy, delirious, experimental... I thought the Other Voices songs need the *oumphff* that a good jazz band can provide. And I don't even like jazz that much, but when it's good it can rock your boots off. I'm really tired of Sting now, but but his glory years was when he played with the jazz musicians he had on the first couple of solo albums and the Bring On the Night tour. Good Sh*t.
But when think about it what I'd REALLY like to hear is a ROCKIN' Lisa that belts out more so it's not all introverted withheld intensity all the time. I just really don't think that's what she'll do. But let's see (=hear)
Old 03-28-2007, 07:48 AM   #15
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
I am so with you reg. the fatigue with soft jazz-pop, but jazz doesn't necessarily have to be light you know - it can be mad, speedy, delirious, experimental... I thought the Other Voices songs need the *oumphff* that a good jazz band can provide. And I don't even like jazz that much, but when it's good it can rock your boots off. I'm really tired of Sting now, but but his glory years was when he played with the jazz musicians he had on the first couple of solo albums and the Bring On the Night tour. Good Sh*t.
But when think about it what I'd REALLY like to hear is a ROCKIN' Lisa that belts out more so it's not all introverted withheld intensity all the time. I just really don't think that's what she'll do. But let's see (=hear)
The most interesting jazzy artist I know is Susheela Raman, who has an amazing voice and turns things upside down things with Indian rythms and instruments but I'm still not moved by her stuff, I just skip to Gemma Hayes or Cara Dillon. Probably I'm just too folk-oriented. But you're right, lets just wait and see what she comes up with. (by the way, I'd love to hear her Banríon Mo Chroí but its nigh impossible to get hold of that Ceol '06 cd)

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 03-28-2007, 08:33 AM   #16
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Probably I'm just too folk-oriented.
Me too, really. Although Gemma Hayes' latest album bores me like heck. As do Lisa's songs as played on Other Voices. They're nice, but they bore me very fast. I really hope she'll put a good band together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
(by the way, I'd love to hear her Banríon Mo Chroí but its nigh impossible to get hold of that Ceol '06 cd)
Have you never heard it?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:54 AM   #17
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Me too, really. Although Gemma Hayes' latest album bores me like heck. As do Lisa's songs as played on Other Voices. They're nice, but they bore me very fast. I really hope she'll put a good band together.

Have you never heard it?
I like Teeth very much especailly its shift to a waltz-like tune. The others are not that amazing, I have to admit and Splishy-splashy is just like nothing. But I like the arrangement. (If she wanted something really crazy, she should consult Kíla to get some ideas (or cooperation). They are true musical radicals).

No, never heard it, not a single note.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #18
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
I like Teeth very much especailly its shift to a waltz-like tune. The others are not that amazing, I have to admit and Splishy-splashy is just like nothing. But I like the arrangement. (If she wanted something really crazy, she should consult Kíla to get some ideas (or cooperation). They are true musical radicals).

No, never heard it, not a single note.
Who's Kíla?

Hehe or maybe she should consult Timbaland like all the others... .... NOT!!

You haven't heard it, you say? Hm, I wonder what we can do to change that... *ponders*...
Old 03-28-2007, 09:30 AM   #19
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Who's Kíla?

Hehe or maybe she should consult Timbaland like all the others... .... NOT!!

You haven't heard it, you say? Hm, I wonder what we can do to change that... *ponders*...
Kíla is an Irish not-really-trad band that mixes Irish, Asian, Arab, Eastern European, Latin and African music with some acid-jazzy mentality led by a drummer-poet who looks like Robinson Crusoe. Its really hard to explain, they have a website with lots of music samples. Its not what Lisa should (I even doubt that she could) do, but these guys can surely give advices on how to drive music insane. Or, she should just ask Vyvienne what substance she used when writing Random Man

Timbaland... brrr, this is a foul thought

Old 03-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #20
cestoz
Eskimo Regular

i can see her being a bit like joanna newsom, perhaps a bit more mainstream, which would be no bad thing in her case. and i will definitely buy her album when it comes out.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:58 AM   #21
Juzzza
Eskimo Regular

Whether I like Lisa's solo work or not (and I probably will), I have to agree with the no-brainer comment - even if only 20% of Damo fans buy her album, she'll sell a million records. It's finding a single that may prove a challenge but then I don't think Damo is a 'single' artist anyway. The money is in the album sales.

http://www.myspace.com/justinthorne
http://www.myspace.com/jtintheshadows
Juzzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #22
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai

Timbaland... brrr, this is a foul thought

Really..?

hmmm, yir.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:33 AM   #23
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:

Really..?

hmmm, yir.

I wonder if Damien would have still kicked her out after such a makeover?

Old 03-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #24
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

That picture is going to haunt me for the rest of my days
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:47 AM   #25
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
That picture is going to haunt me for the rest of my days
Why thank you, I aim to please
Old 03-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #26
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

If Lisa makes an album with the covers of the good classic songs, like she has been doing on tour, i''ll buy it. her singing will differentiate her from others.
SilentNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 AM   #27
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai

I wonder if Damien would have still kicked her out after such a makeover?
hehe I wonder what his new lyrics would sound like looking at THAT hottie everyday? Would I be old enough to hear them? hehehe

AWESOME pic Cille!!

http://www.myspace.com/5859320
MacrossGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:16 AM   #28
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrossGirl
hehe I wonder what his new lyrics would sound like looking at THAT hottie everyday? Would I be old enough to hear them? hehehe

AWESOME pic Cille!!
I don't think the lyrics could be more self-penis oriented (maybe 'My yoke, my yoke and my yoke?'

Old 03-29-2007, 06:48 AM   #29
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
I don't think the lyrics could be more self-penis oriented (maybe 'My yoke, my yoke and my yoke?'
It's true, that thing seems to be his greatest muse of all
Old 03-29-2007, 07:45 AM   #30
foryou
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNight
If Lisa makes an album with the covers of the good classic songs, like she has been doing on tour, i''ll buy it. her singing will differentiate her from others.

No, she would become Eva Cassidy's heritage then.
Okay, I would would be a nice idea to hear songs like " People get ready " or "Fields of gold" performed by Lisa, but I think she would be great to go in the direction of french chansons. "La fille danse" always blows me away and makes me goose bumps all the time
foryou is offline   Reply With Quote