Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-22-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
before_bedtime
Eskimo Baby

Default Damien: not far from the holy rush of heaven?

I've been a massive fan of Damien Rice for the last few years and absolutely adore his music. I'm also a Christian and just now I was looking at articles on a Christian website. During my browsing I came across this article and thought you guys might find it interesting...

http://www.24-7prayer.com/cm/articles/538
before_bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:33 PM   #2
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

interesting link and good article.

thanks for sharing.
SilentNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Gatsby
This message has been deleted by Gatsby.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:11 AM   #3
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

no comment
Ranting Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:30 AM   #4
audity
High-Five Eskimo

Great read....Thanks for giving the link.
I've always found Damien's music very spiritual and I think he lives, for the most part, the way Jesus would want his disciples to live.

Welcome to the Igloo.

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:50 AM   #5
cille
creepycute

lol, i don't think damien is a saint in any way though!
Old 04-23-2006, 08:21 AM   #6
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
lol, i don't think damien is a saint in any way though!
True. I don't think god would allow him to live this life with two women (Lisa, Vyvienne). Hippie.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #7
Mankman
You Crazy Diamond

Very interesting article. BUt having heard O many times, i really dont think theres any overt Christian themes present in his music. And for further evidence, i think Woman Like A Man is quite un-christian, and un-religious as a whole. But yeh, i had never thought about that.
Mankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:27 PM   #8
Rovena
what will you say?

This is fcking ridiculous...I hate how some people try to deify their idols...

Ok, Damien does say some "cute-enlighten" phrases in some of his interviews, but that certainly doesn't make him a saint, especially because none of us know if it is just some idealistic bull****, or if he is really coherent with what he says...
Rovena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:23 AM
Gatsby
This message has been deleted by Gatsby.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:07 AM   #9
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik
True. I don't think god would allow him to live this life with two women (Lisa, Vyvienne). Hippie.
are you saying god doesn't allow bigamy?

DANG!
Old 04-24-2006, 03:09 PM   #10
before_bedtime
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovena
This is fcking ridiculous...I hate how some people try to deify their idols...

Ok, Damien does say some "cute-enlighten" phrases in some of his interviews, but that certainly doesn't make him a saint, especially because none of us know if it is just some idealistic bull****, or if he is really coherent with what he says...
Did you actually read the article? It doesn't try to deify Damien in any way, nor does it call him a saint. It says 'On the spectrum of faith - I have no idea where Damien Rice stands'. It was not calling Damien 'God' (and coming from a Christian website that would be extremely unlikely!) or suggesting that he is a Christian. The writer of the article merely suggests that maybe Damien's reluctance to hog the spotlight and be the centre of attention, but to instead appreciate all that he has around him, is something that some Christians could learn from.
Personally, I don't think Damien Rice is a Christian, but I don't think that was the point of the article at all. I think it was to show that his way of life in a world that is very self centred is something to be admired.
before_bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
corkboyinexile
Irish Eskimo by birth

That article sound exactly like any other christian waffle you can hear anywhere else, clasping on to anything that is a bit popular to try to get someone to believe them.

It sounds like that show "prayer before bedtime" that used to be on Irish tv late at night, ie...."I was watching the football on television, and I started thinking, isnt Packie Bonner a lot like Jesus!"......bullcrap.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:07 PM   #12
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

the guy who wrote the article sounds like a fan to me..

sure it's coming from a christian perspective, but it just sounds as if the writer admires damien and sees him as leading a spiritual life (whether he's christian or not) and is drawing parallels to values he admires in his own faith..

i don't know about the hymn request though, i don't foresee damien recording hymns anytime soon (ave maria in baby sister doesn't count - it's not the ave maria) but if he decides to go that route i'd prefer amazing grace or just as i am
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:20 PM   #13
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

i agree with the comments above. it's maketing baby, like christians have the monopoly on righteousness????? nuthing's far from the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by before_bedtime
appreciate all that he has around him, is something that some Christians could learn from
what about non-christians? what about non-believers? don't they deserve to 'learn' something too? the problem with all christians (yes all) is that they think every single non-christian is gonna burn in hell unless they turn to jesus, it's on the bible. and they make you feel that way. i spent my entire childhood feeling like crap for not believing that, wondering what was wrong with me . sorry but no. nothing's wrong with me, i refuse to feel guilty (christianity's most powerful tool) or less of a person, and i'm not gonna burn in hell, i know that now.

sorry before_bedtime, i don't wanna offend you and you may not see it that way but your words can be offensive. christians are no better that non-christian, they just think they are.
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:53 AM   #14
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

It's a lot easier, and less heated if you just say:

"no comment"
Old 04-25-2006, 02:01 AM   #15
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranting Thespian

"no comment"
i agree

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:33 PM   #16
Niko
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali
what about non-christians? what about non-believers? don't they deserve to 'learn' something too?
Clearly no-one is claiming that Christians have exclusive rights to use Damien as an inspiration, Cali. It's simply that the website linked above is a website by Christians for Christians. Before_bedtime said that some Christians could learn from Damien because of the context of this thread, nothing more.

Sorry that you've had such a hard time from Christianity at large in your life. Maybe if Christians learned from good examples, possibly including Damien, that'd be a good thing?
Old 04-25-2006, 07:42 PM   #17
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
christians are no better that non-christian, they just think they are.
I must say I'm somewhat surprised...I mean what an incredibly ignorant generalisation.

I have to say I always find it amusing when people rush to dispel any kind of "Christian-ness" etc in his music (or vice versa), just to fit in with their own ideals. Let it go, nobody cares.

Quote:

"no comment"
Though it is of course a contradiction
Like "This statement is false"
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #18
Timeé
Intello

Quote:

"no comment"
okay.... eh ehm...

No comment
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:33 PM   #19
*Kat
I don't wanna be labeled!

Cali, if you're not a Christian then why did the idea of hell worry you in the first place? Isn't that a Christian belief in itself?
Old 04-25-2006, 11:50 PM   #20
liamd
ESkimo

Quote:
the problem with all christians (yes all) is that they think every single non-christian is gonna burn in hell unless they turn to jesus
Eh, I don't think all Christians believe that. At least, I'm a Christian and I don't. So that's one.

Quote:
you may not see it that way but your words can be offensive.

www.pasta-solo.bebo.com

http://www.bobogalway.net/
liamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:31 AM   #21
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
i spent my entire childhood feeling like crap for not believing that, wondering what was wrong with me . sorry but no. nothing's wrong with me, i refuse to feel guilty (christianity's most powerful tool) or less of a person, and i'm not gonna burn in hell, i know that now.
cali i know how you feel but i don't think before bedtime meant it that way...

i know what it's like to have people (a LOT of people) make you feel like you're evil or soulless for not believing the same as they do... gah fire and brimstone don't get me started! but you're right you don't have anything to feel guilty about, you had the strength to break away from the flock and not just accept a faith that was handed down for generations without question.. you followed your own heart and spirit to find truth, and that can be a battle but it's one i think you've already won. in my opinion you've got soul, sister.

ps - see you in hell
Old 04-26-2006, 06:04 AM   #22
eskimoiowa
eskimoiowa

Quote:

"no comment"
HMMM.... I am so tempmted to throw in my own 2 cents here, but I think I have done a pretty bang-up job with the controversial comments that I am gonna have to agree with you Ranting Thespian and say.... NO Comment!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:45 AM   #23
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Claudia, I second what Melissa said, not everybody has the spine to struggle with that and don't break.

Concerning the article...I don't think you really meant what you said with the generalization, maybe you're just surrounded by a lot of those evil christians in America and that makes you hate them all. Which is understandable. But like i said i fon't think you really meant that. I agree with you on the point that the author shouldn't exclude other human beings and stop labelling this with "christians could become like damien". Okay, the author writes for a specific christian group and therefore has certain 'advertising wishes'. But why has there be a group for that in the first place? If only that makes them feel good, it's very pathetic. It's like
"Oh, hey, what kind of religion are you?"
"Who cares?"
"No, tell me"
"I'm a buddhist, but sometimes agnostic and then other days i feel like atheist. But mostly i keep it private, cos i don't see any reasons in telling other people what label i belong to. it's a waste of time."
Old 04-26-2006, 12:39 PM   #24
*Kat
I don't wanna be labeled!

Quote:
why has there be a group for that in the first place? If only that makes them feel good, it's very pathetic.

People (with the possible exception of a very small minority) will always strive to be a part of a group. To feel included and understood is a basic human need. Whether the group is your family, a religious group, a sports team or a group of people interested in the same music, BELONGING is something we all strive for. Where we find that is different for everyone. What makes a people believing in Jesus forum any more pathetic than a people who love Damien Rice forum?
Old 04-26-2006, 01:48 PM   #25
rosey
Eskimo Regular

I don't know if anyone else noticed the poll on the bottom left of that article?

Is being a vegetarian biblical?

The voting options were

1 Yes
2 No
3 I am offended and going to another site now.

Which maybe shows that the people involved in this site do see that there are other viewpoints.
rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:43 PM   #26
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Well it's kinda stupid to expect a website for Christians to have a disclaimer for readers who aren't Christians. It'd be like having a section on this site for people who hate Damien's music. Nothing necessarily wrong with people who don't like his music, but that doesn't mean we need to cater for them. So in short...yawn!
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:07 PM   #27
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
. . . ps - see you in hell
Hey, come on down. I got some Brats grillin' and some burgers. Oh, and you have got to try Satan's potatosalad. It's like 3,000 times that of the whore of babylon. Mmmm mmm.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:54 AM   #28
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Kat
People (with the possible exception of a very small minority) will always strive to be a part of a group. To feel included and understood is a basic human need. Whether the group is your family, a religious group, a sports team or a group of people interested in the same music, BELONGING is something we all strive for.
You got me wrong, this is not what i meant. Of course, group forming happens, but the point and the matter is: do groups exclude anybody and look down at them and for what reason?

Just because i'm interested in the same music doesn't mean that I, say, bash people seriously who listen to e.g. cheesy pop music and look down at them.

I don't see the pope running around at easter time and shouting: "greetings to all other religions, we're surely not more important than you, let's all humble down for a minute"
am i right or am i right, you see what I'm tryin to gettin at here?

Quote:
Where we find that is different for everyone. What makes a people believing in Jesus forum any more pathetic than a people who love Damien Rice forum?
Cos i don't like this kind of group formation concerning religion. It's freaky. It scares me a bit (but that could just be because of historical and past things), see also Cali's reports. It's fine to believe in Jesus or Kanye West (hehe) but i don't wanna see you running around shouting about it everyday. It's a private thing. Remember, at the end of the day actions count (and you'll be respected for that), not your inactive waffling about Jesus or some saviour.

Last edited by Hendrik; 04-27-2006 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:47 AM   #29
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Hey, come on down. I got some Brats grillin' and some burgers. Oh, and you have got to try Satan's potatosalad. It's like 3,000 times that of the whore of babylon. Mmmm mmm.

potato salad?! i'm so there!
Old 04-28-2006, 10:22 AM   #30
Niko
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Okay, the author writes for a specific christian group and therefore has certain 'advertising wishes'. But why has there be a group for that in the first place? If only that makes them feel good, it's very pathetic.
Hendrik, 24-7 Prayer isn't just a website. Without wanting to get into it too much, it's a global organisation that does what it says in the name - it aims to keep a chain of prayer going on for 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It's not about "making them feel good", it's part of their faith.

But specifically those last two sentences of yours I've quoted above...Doesn't that apply just as equally to the igloo?