Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #31
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko
Hendrik, 24-7 Prayer isn't just a website. Without wanting to get into it too much, it's a global organisation that does what it says in the name - it aims to keep a chain of prayer going on for 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It's not about "making them feel good", it's part of their faith.

But specifically those last two sentences of yours I've quoted above...Doesn't that apply just as equally to the igloo?
No, it doesn't cos we even tolerate the intolerable (or do we kick out people who don't like Damo that much?).

I didn't know that it was 'just a website'.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #32
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik
No, it doesn't cos we even tolerate the intolerable (or do we kick out people who don't like Damo that much?).
Do you see a section in the forum for "Damien haters"?

People can believe what they like, should feel free to talk about what they believe with other people and (shock horror) have every right to set up websites about it. End of.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #33
Niko
Eskimo Regular

Aside from which, where does it say on the 24-7 website that they don't tolerate certain groups of people? Having read Peter Greig's book "Red Moon Rising", which is all about how he came to set up the 24-7 Prayer movement, it seems pretty clear to me that he's a very liberal, tolerant man who has time for most people and groups.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #34
G2020
Eskimo Hunter

Pffffffttttt.........................**** that.
G2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:45 AM   #35
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Kat
Cali, if you're not a Christian then why did the idea of hell worry you in the first place? Isn't that a Christian belief in itself?
i don't worry about hell, but it does affect me when i see my mother praying for the salvation of my soul just because the basis of her religion tells her i'm going to hell or there's something not quite right with me.

i'm sorry if i offended anybody with my words. it wasn't my intention and i didn't think i could offend anybody. but i couldn't just shut up about this issue as it obviously affects me a big deal.

i don't understand organized religion. i don't and won't understand why do people think it's so necessary, it's not. i don't have kids but if i do, i don't want them to think they have to be good in order to get something out of it (heaven) or in order to avoid a horrible punishment (hell). it doesn't work that way, people can and should be good just because.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko
Aside from which, where does it say on the 24-7 website that they don't tolerate certain groups of people? Having read Peter Greig's book "Red Moon Rising", which is all about how he came to set up the 24-7 Prayer movement, it seems pretty clear to me that he's a very liberal, tolerant man who has time for most people and groups.
tolerance is also a horrible horrible concept disguised as a good one. c'mon, you tolerate something that is wrong in the first place. the bible and other 'holy books' have craved into people minds that believing a different god is wrong, that homosexuality is wrong, and so on. they wouldn't have to tolerate anything if it wasn't for their religion. homosexuality is not wrong, no matter how many holy books say it is.

ps. for the record, i don't hate christians. my whole family is and most of my friends are.

Last edited by Cali; 04-30-2006 at 03:49 AM.
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:00 AM   #36
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali
i don't understand organized religion. i don't and won't understand why do people think it's so necessary, it's not. i don't have kids but if i do, i don't want them to think they have to be good in order to get something out of it (heaven) or in order to avoid a horrible punishment (hell). it doesn't work that way, people can and should be good just because.

tolerance is also a horrible horrible concept disguised as a good one. c'mon, you tolerate something that is wrong in the first place. the bible and other 'holy books' have craved into people minds that believing a different god is wrong, that homosexuality is wrong, and so on. they wouldn't have to tolerate anything if it wasn't for their religion. homosexuality is not wrong, no matter how many holy books say it is.
That's exactly what I wanted to say, nothing more. Thanks.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:52 PM   #37
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

on homosexuality

the much quoted
Leviticus 18:22 -(Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind, it is abomination (KJV)) is part of the "law".

so...

James 2:10
For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. (NIV)

Romans 10:4

Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes. (NIV)

SORTED
Old 04-30-2006, 10:10 PM   #38
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

interesting because at least in my experience, jews tend to be more open-minded about homosexuality than christians

ps melissa and henders
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:29 AM   #39
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

Mmmm, I also have to tell you guys, Satan does not skimp on the butter and glaze on a turkey. Mmmm, melts in your mouth, what do you think sis-midnight?

Mmmmm, going back for seconds.

*ding*. . . hey, the hash browns are done!
Ranting Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #40
Niko
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
interesting because at least in my experience, jews tend to be more open-minded about homosexuality than christians
I can't speak for all Christians, because clearly I haven't met them all and equally clearly there are some who are a bit scary with the ol' fire and brimstone stuff, but I'm a Christian and have no problems with gay people. I have two close gay friends, one of whom shares a house with another close friend of mine who is also a Christian.

And sorry about using the word "tolerant" up there. Bad choice of word on my part, I can totally see where you're coming from. Almost as bad as sweeping generalisations, wouldn't you say?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:37 PM   #41
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

Pretty much, I believe what I believe. But I will never push or force someone to believe those beliefs, or to "obey" my beliefs.
Ranting Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:11 PM   #42
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
i completely agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranting Thespian
Pretty much, I believe what I believe. But I will never push or force someone to believe those beliefs, or to "obey" my beliefs.
exactly
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote