Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 11-04-2003, 01:21 PM   #1
bennyhuggel
Eskimo Regular

ok where to start?

hmmm the story begings in Basel City switzerland at 1pm.
two persons entering a car they lend from the sister of one of the guys.
they drive 493km thru half gemany and a little part of switzerland.
at 6pm they reach Köln, none of the two has ever been in Colonge (Köln) so they search a parking lot and the club for about 1and a half hour.
they reach the MTC at 7:30pm and they are convinced to buy the tickets but damo is still making the sound check as they walk straight into the little venue. they're sent out again cause tickets won't be on sale until 8pm.
8pm entering the club with some not cheap but ok ticket prizes (16Euros), they sit on stage so that they're in the first row for the concert.
around 9pm Joel Shearer enters the stage and the light is dimed. 9:01pm the author of this review is blown away by the head pedestrain (pedestrian= name of his band, but the concert was a solo gig), somehow this guy has a stunning similarity to jeff buckley it's not his vioce but the way he behaves and his experimentel parts in the live show that make him that similar. the songs are great and the concert much too short. some assholes tought to be funny by talking all the time but joel kept cool and played his set (about 45minutes). in the end he left an astonished audience who was now prepared for more. When Damo, Lisa, Shane, Tomo and Viviane come on stage the crowd was splitten you knew that there were some people (at least the half of the 150-200 people) had never heard of Damien Rice, so many didn't really know what they were expecting. The concert begun with Delicate, all the "O" songs exept "cheers darlin'" were played. i try to remember the other songs ok there were The Professor / La file... (but not as usally as first song), Woman Like A Man, Lonely, Vivians Cover of hmm can't remember what and Prague (All Dressed Up). The Band was great, Lisa seemd sick but her voice was like the voice of an angel, Vivian was playin' her part, Shane was always making funny poses for the audience, Tomo was brill his solo in the end of I remember made lisa look at him like she had seen a ghost. Damien seemd in a good mood and sung his perfectly. after 90 minutes the magic was over as they walked off stage.
I bought the two Pedestrian singles and the four Damo singles (as i was not able to get them without paying the import price of 25euros per single in my home town)
4 euros seemd a pretty fair per Single. so we went our ways back to switzerland and reached my home at 5:00am. a long day was over but it had been a very special day.

hmmm final words about the concert well:
i'd rank this concert certainly in my top 3: hmm perhaps it was even the best i've ever seen and i've seen quite a lot of concerts. from the concerts i've seen tihs year only Radiohead could mess with Damo.

so cheers!

and don't forget to check out Pedestrian!

www.pedestrianmusic.org pedstrian hompage
bennyhuggel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:29 PM   #2
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Wow!! sounds wonderful..Do you know if the show was sold out? Thanks for sharing... Cheers

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:37 PM   #3
bennyhuggel
Eskimo Regular

hmmm guess it was.

but not sure bout that.

hmm well you don't have thank cause i missed to make a bootleg of the show which i really wanted but i forgot the mini disc player so hmm well i was unable
what a sh*t
bennyhuggel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:38 PM   #4
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Glad you had such a great time and the drive was worth it! And a nice small venue! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 05:22 PM   #5
Christiane
Eskimo Baby

Vivian covered 'Seven Nation Army' of the White Stripes! Definetly a highlight!
Christiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 03:15 AM   #6
katinka
Eskimo Regular

well if theband doesn't come to you i guess you go to see the band. great trip![img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
katinka is offline   Reply With Quote