Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 07-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Default U.S. Tour Password Rules.

Okay, can we establish some guidelines so that this year we're not screwed over by scalpers? Here's the deal, last year there were several people on this board who felt compelled to display the password for the entire U.S. tour for everyone to see. What you fail to realize is that this group of "everyone" also includes online scalpers who visit these types of message boards and pretty much leech the password from unsuspecting fans.

So let's get it straight. If you haven't signed up for the Damien Rice mailing list you only have yourself to blame. But if you still need the password just send a message to someone on the board who says they have it and then they can send it to you in private. Trust me, we can tell who's been a member and who's just hear to be greedy (the 1 post people for example). So let's do ourselves a favor and not be victims like last year. Thank you.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

thank you valentino
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
viv
Eskimo Regular

first, i agree with your completely common sense "rule"

second, when do they usually email the password? i am signed up but i'm also paranoid that i'll miss it or something.

third, i don't post that much, (even though I'm here quite often) but that doesn't make me a scalper!
viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

what stops the scalpers from signing up to the damien rice mailing list?
i dont get that..

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv
first, i agree with your completely common sense "rule"

second, when do they usually email the password? i am signed up but i'm also paranoid that i'll miss it or something.

third, i don't post that much, (even though I'm here quite often) but that doesn't make me a scalper!
you've been here for a year! anyone with common sense knows youre not a scalper! just PM me

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
Calum
Eskimo Regular

Me neither - it's a puzzler...
Old 07-08-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
melodie
mmm bop.

i am also signed up to the mailing list and i still haven't received anything concerning a password.
a pm pretty please?
melodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali
thank you valentino
No problem love. Of course a scalper can very easily sign up, I was never refuting this. The sure fire way to discern a scalper from a fan is to look under their screen name where it usually displays how long they've been registered on the board. Now if someone joined two hours ago and their first post is "Does anyone have the presale password? I've been a fan for ages and I just found this board, please help!" then you know what's going on. Let's all just be courteous to those who deserve it and if someone suspicious arises then send them off. Besides, the only loop-hole I see is if a fan is a scalper...which in that case they're not really a fan are they?

example: I do a lot of internet shopping and there are a lot of sites I know that are run by scalpers. Last year when a friend of mine and I were trying to get tickets to the presale event the best we got were center ORCH and then a few minutes later the only seats available were in the balcony. When I visited one of the sites I knew about this guy already had 10 PIT tix! What a loss, and the next day he had 22 of them. Now I don't mind paying a little extra for great seats (which I always end up doing) but the point is I want this money to go to Damien as opposed to some junkie on the net. And for time's sake let's not fill this thread with useless arguments (seems to be the trend these days) talkin' about who or what defines a scalper and who or what defines a fan. Thanks.

Last edited by Valentino; 07-08-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

If someone buys the ticket at face the allocated percentage goes to damien correct? How would he ever benefit in the arb by those selling it at a mark-up?

I would think the only way he would ever benefit was to charge huge prices for say the first ten rows of the orchestra which would have the obvious fan reaction no?
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:51 PM   #10
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Okay, even though I specified that there was no reason to argue you do bring up a valid point. Let me reiterate what I mentioned earlier. Your comment is 100% accurate and the only way for Damien to get more money is to charge more money. But this is not where I was going with the post, what I simply meant to say was that I just don't like someone else acquiring a monetary gain just because Damo's in town. That's all. I usually end up buying from a scalper anyway but this is always a last resort. We can't certainly have things our way and there's always someone trying to make a buck, I'm very well aware of this. But this thread was started to prevent idiots from distributing key information that was meant to be exclusive so that we don't have to rely on scalpers in the very end. Let me know if I can make anything else clear.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:06 AM   #11
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

No intention on starting an arguement - just making a point. And totally agree that we shouldn't help these guys out for those that are trying to get tickets out of the gate - have already sent a couple pms today so am totally with you. And I do agree with you - I also use them from time to time - take Nashville - we are going to fly up from Dallas to see him at the Ryman - you can be darn sure we will have good seats for that!

And good luck all - I think a few shows go on sale tomorrow.......
Old 07-09-2007, 02:42 AM   #12
eskimo_prague
Eskimo Regular

I'm nervous!! Does it usually get crazy when presale starts? This will hopefully be my first chance to see Damien.
eskimo_prague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:20 AM   #13
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

good intentions, but I think the topic is completely pointless. Scalpers subscribe the the mailing list, so you're not going to stop them. The best way to stop them is to just not buy what they're selling...
Old 07-09-2007, 04:06 AM   #14
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

It's pointless to set up these "rules", but regardless if someone could be send me the password that'd be great
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:32 AM   #15
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl
good intentions, but I think the topic is completely pointless. Scalpers subscribe the the mailing list, so you're not going to stop them. The best way to stop them is to just not buy what they're selling...
So you are going to preclude someone from buying good seats if they say come in from buffalo???
Old 07-09-2007, 04:35 AM   #16
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

i dont mean to be offensive david. however, it has come to my attention that you seem to be picking fights with people quite often during the past couple of days. is everything okay?

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:16 AM   #17
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Just an update, I've been waiting on and off all day and I still haven't received any presale email from DR.com. I'll be checking again around midnight but since I usually go to bed around 2 am I guess I can check around then as well. By the way Lauren, do you really enjoy driving the guys wild with those killer eyes? Please stop before you hurt someone love.

P.S.- If any of you are interested in the politics of today, and it doesn't matter whether you live in the states or not, and would like to check out an amazing documentary on 911 (the US tragedy) and perhaps what happened behind the curtains visit:

www.zeitgeistmovie.com

It's free and will totally blow your mind!

(Disclaimer) The beginning of the movie (Part 1) takes a whole new look at Christianity and it's rather extraordinary. If any of you are unprepared to challenge your faith then I would fast forward through Part 1 and just watch Part 2 and 3 instead. It may take a while to download depending on your connection but it's well worth it. Late.

Last edited by Valentino; 07-09-2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #18
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Two hours to go and still no e-mail with the password... I think it's gonna be the same one they used during the last tour so they're not gonna bother e-mailing us again...
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #19
Rannveig
Lives Near an Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl
THIS MAKES MORE SENSE! No demand, no supply......simple...
Old 07-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #20
Lance
Let Me Out

i just snagged nashville and murray
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:33 PM   #21
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex
So you are going to preclude someone from buying good seats if they say come in from buffalo???
um, non sequitur much?

why would someone going anywhere from Buffalo have to buy tickets from a scalper? *scratching head*

instead of setting up "rules" like don't share a password on a fansite! JUST DON'T BUY FROM SCALPERS. duh.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #22
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

If someone from Buffalo or Syracuse or Los Angeles decided they wanted to see damo in nyc - after the tickets went on sale - they shouldn't just to make your point?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #23
damosmymuse
Eskimo painter

i have not recieved an email yet..

can someone please pm the password....

tix go on sale in 35 minutes

or can someone please email the password to me
damosmymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #24
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

As good intentioned as this was... the password's been posted on the damienrice.com boards. And if you called Ticketmaster yourself, you didn't even need the password to get tickets over the phone.

Tickets for the Toronto show are already up on ebay.

Also, davidcotyalex - that's not what she meant. People can buy tickets to see Damo at any show online/over the phone from wherever they live around the world with no problems (with the will call option, they don't even pay for having the tickets mailed to them!), so it doesn't matter if the tickets are already on sale or not.

If you want to go to another city to see Damien, you can get your tickets legitimately.

The point is that the only way to really stop scalpers (short of police enforcement, but I imagine they've got better things to do with their time) is for people to STOP BUYING from them.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #25
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

I understand the message - my point was what if someone decided they wanted to go to a show after the show sold out - so they are just out of luck just to make this point?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #26
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Well yeah, why not? If a show's sold out - it's sold out. People did have the opportunity to get tickets legitimately, after all. It's unfortunate and sad and unlucky if the show sold out quickly - but that's life.

The only way to stop scalpers is to take away their buyers (which I don't think will ever happen, but for arguments sake).
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #27
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

One solution could be not to allow tickets to be sold on e-bay or only at face value... I think they did it at this Rock Werchter festival I went the other day...
Old 07-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #28
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

I guess we view it differently - that's all - and I agree that it is mute as they exist all over the place because there is demand - to eradicate scalpers you will need to fundamentally change our materialistic society.

As an aside - it has been quite interesting in Switzerland - while there are scalper tickets for various gigs at Montreux - and interestingly enough the Concierges at the good hotels have a pool so when we decided to go see Van Morrison like a month ago our Concierge reserved us two section A (front orch) tix at face.

However in Lucerne we have been trying to upgrade for damo and there is absolutely no market for tickets - so somehow the folks in Lucerne were able to accomplish what you are asking for - just don't think that would ever fly in NAm.

Answer - move to Switzerland????
Old 07-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #29
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by srahman24
Well yeah, why not? If a show's sold out - it's sold out. People did have the opportunity to get tickets legitimately, after all. It's unfortunate and sad and unlucky if the show sold out quickly - but that's life.

The only way to stop scalpers is to take away their buyers (which I don't think will ever happen, but for arguments sake).
To your point there are already four sets of tickets posted on ebay for toronto....I bet those are the "members" cashing in...
Old 07-09-2007, 05:12 PM   #30
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

These presales are pointless... I tried now in LA at 10:00:00 and I was super fast typing everything and the first thing I got was section B which is like row 40 (not pit or even section A)... What's the point in doing a presale for fans if you're only giving away crappy seats