Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 01-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #31
sherifkarama
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by srahman24
It was Dec. 2004 - I was in Ireland (for the first time) for a grand total of 3 days and The Blowers Daughter was playing on the radio during the drive from Dublin Airport to Dundalk. I got O for Christmas that year and I was absolutely, completely hooked from then on.

But the real this-man-is-brilliant moment came after seeing him live in July, 2006. That show was unbelievable. Damien solo, unplugged, a great theatre dating back to 1919, heat wave in the city/continent, NO air conditioning whatsoever, 2nd row center and a security guard that let my friend get away with taking a candle holder from the stage for me.

It was pretty much as close to transcendental as you can get.

This is an amazing story! Being in Ireland and discovering this great Irishmen right there and then...awesome :P

www.sherifkarama.com
sherifkarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #32
Van Gericke
Eskimo Baby

someone who usally listens to progressive rock sent me a link to the "for sessions" video of.. dunno eskimo or volcano or delicate. i think eskimo, but i am not sure.
Van Gericke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #33
riceman
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilombo
The rooftop of my host's house in Paraguay, homsick as ****, in the middle of an aftermath of unanswered love, in the middle of the night, still above 20° Celsius all alone looking at the stars and getting drunk with Chilenian wine.. is there a better way to get to know Damien?

Very cool place to get to know him!
riceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #34
wicklowgurl
Eskimo Baby

i heard cannonball on the radio and asked my brother who sang it and he told me about damien,about a week later i bought 'O',its such an amazing album and iv loved damo evr since
wicklowgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #35
wicklowgurl
Eskimo Baby

great story
Old 02-03-2008, 05:17 PM   #36
wicklowgurl
Eskimo Baby

great story
Old 02-04-2008, 09:03 PM   #37
Mikko
Eskimo Friend

My brother told me to get O, because "Damien Rice sounds like Jeff Buckley with strings." So I got the album and loved Amie at first, never really listening to the rest of the album. Soon I realized that the other songs actually existed and fell in love.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #38
Vyru
Guardian of common sense

Hah, I was a closet Damien Rice fan for a while, I was with the whole "Grunge" scene, and my "friends" were all into metal, so I was expected to be into that kind of stuff too.

I first heard him on a compilation CD called Hits 60... I was chilling out in my room one evening, and this amazing song came on, I listened, and listened, and listened, eventually reaching for the back of the CD case, I found it was Cannonball. I put that CD away for a year or so, but after a rough patch at school, with bullying, I found his music again and bought a copy of O. I've been a fan ever since. <3
Old 02-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #39
esgii
Eskimo Baby

in the movie "closer" ,i first heard "the blower's daugther" ...the lyrics were very impressing !! later that day i listened that song again and again...then i heard 9 crimes..It was vey lucky moment in my life cause since then ı have been damien rice fan!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #40
aurora
Eskimo Baby

Nice topic, I like the stories...
I found him by accident not so long ago, 2005... in youtube, "The Blower's Daughter"... then I looked for more, and more, and here I am!
Sometimes I think "why do I hear this man if his music totally kills me...?", but I can't help it... I need it!
(Masoquism? ha!)
aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #41
dawno
just mildly free

it was sometime in early 2003 - a friend of mine kept trying to convince me to come see him at a bunch of small venues in new york city: sin-e, mercury lounge, north six etc.... but i wasn't able to make any of the gigs. my husband and i had read about Damien in Q mag and finally decided to buy O.... needless to say i was extremely irked with myself for not heeding my friend's advice sooner!
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #42
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodie View Post
i heard the blower's daughter when i saw closer at the cinema. i got very obsessed with it but for some reason never really thought of getting other songs. a few weeks later my friend was answering one of those myspace quizzes and she mentionned cheers, darlin. i liked the way the title sounded and got O the next day!
In the car with my father. canonball. Was not gone on it first. It would take me 2 years to buy the album and fall in love with it.
Cerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #43
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

there was a bunch of mp3s in someone's computer, I saw like 6 or 7 songs of him and I thought "oh, Damien Rice... I heard he's good, let's see if they're right". so I brought them home. first song I heard was dogs. then, when I heard The blower's daughter I went "oh!!!! this guy sings this?!" I've listened to it many times before and never noticed it was him LOL
Old 12-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #44
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva_arg View Post
there was a bunch of mp3s in someone's computer, I saw like 6 or 7 songs of him and I thought "oh, Damien Rice... I heard he's good, let's see if they're right". so I brought them home. first song I heard was dogs. then, when I heard The blower's daughter I went "oh!!!! this guy sings this?!" I've listened to it many times before and never noticed it was him LOL
He he, same here, I started noticing songs i didn't know were his as well. That happens with most bands i get into.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #45
October Sky
Eskimo Regular

In the first season of the show Lost there was a character who carried around a CD player for some of the season, and every now and then they would end an episode with him listening to a CD and a song playing. For one episode they used "Delicate" and ended the episode with the CD player batteries finally going out. Very cool Right then I was like, I have *got* to get that album. Of course I'm lazy, so it took me a long time to get around to it. Meanwhile I also heard the song in Alias, and when I finally got O I swear I listened to it for months straight without ever changing CDs.
October Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:59 PM   #46
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by October Sky View Post
In the first season of the show Lost there was a character who carried around a CD player for some of the season, and every now and then they would end an episode with him listening to a CD and a song playing. For one episode they used "Delicate" and ended the episode with the CD player batteries finally going out. Very cool Right then I was like, I have *got* to get that album. Of course I'm lazy, so it took me a long time to get around to it. Meanwhile I also heard the song in Alias, and when I finally got O I swear I listened to it for months straight without ever changing CDs.
I remember that happening in lost as well but back then I didn't know it was Damo's
Old 12-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #47
Timeé
Intello

If i remember correctly it was Hugo Reyes (Hurley), and the song stopped short when the batteries ran out in the CD Player. I think he smacked it with his palm when it stopped.
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #48
ThatYouAreNear
Eskimo Baby

Supporting the Counting Crows at the Corn Exchange in (I think) August 2003, and well all I wanted was him and Lisa to get off so I could see the Crows, but one line/lyric stuck with me which was "I don't know" and well I went and found the album to discover 'the professor' as it turned out to be was not even on the album...but that didn't matter once I listened to it properly. I think the following January I found Gemma Hayes through the Crows also, they aren't a bad bunch at introducing new music!
ThatYouAreNear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #49
shon
Eskimo Baby

I first heard Cannonball on MTV 3 years ago. I was like "This guy is cool.i love this kind of music" but then I totally forgot about him. And about 1 year later, I was watching a drama and they had Cannonball in the OST, I just coudn't get the song out of my head so I decided to find more about him. And then I'm here.
I did watched Closer before I discovered Damo but I had no impression of The Blower's daughter. It actually took me a while to like this song.
shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #50
newscaster rachel
Eskimo Baby

spring 2005.....so my bestfriend from grad school andy and i were on one of those let's hang out for 8 hours straight and just kick it, nothing planned...it was a beautiful night in pasadena, california and we were walking all over town sitting on a bench for awhile talking, walking through the city lights and then we wondered into the Apple store and he put a headset over my ears, played a song and walked away as i listened...it was cannonball... i completely fell in love with andy after that....didn't take long til i was in love with damiens music, i spent the whole next day at work listening to O

Last edited by newscaster rachel; 01-23-2009 at 06:43 PM.
newscaster rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #51
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^^^ Never heard that Damien & Lisa had opened for Counting Crows!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Corn Exchange, what was that???? US or UK???? Must have been anamazing gig, looove Counting Crows!!

^^^^^^ and this is the scene from Lost in which they used DELICATE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3cUu2g20g8
Old 02-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #52
paulita.wilson
Eskimo Baby

the first time I listened to Damien was on an episode of the first season of Lost. There was a beautiful and peaceful scene on the beach .. and the song was Delicate... I fell in love with his music.

I actually love to download music from episodes of different tv series.. or movies or tv commercials.. but Damien Rice has been my best discovey!! =)
paulita.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #53
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

Winter of 2002-2003 in Ireland. Ah, memories...
Old 03-18-2009, 01:48 AM   #54
Ligi
Adore Adore

I turned on VH1 one morning, about 5 years ago.. early early morning when no one else was watching. All of a sudden, the most beautiful song I'd ever heard by the name of Volcano took over my television screen and I was so moved. No one else had heard of him and I started a quest for his music. It was love at first listen.