Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-09-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
administrator
forum administrator

Default The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

So Damien is returning to The Tonight Show tonight on NBC. Strange mix of guests tonight too.

It would be great if somebody could record it so that we can put it up on the videos page.

Thanks!

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
StatQuo
You never got me right!

Wish i could see that show, but NBC is not on here anymore in belgium. Too bad, loved borats movie too.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
anilla
Eskimo Friend

thanks for lettingme know!

anilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #4
flyaway
Eskimo Geek

This usually runs on ITV 2/3/4 (I don't know which, sorry!) in the UK either on the night or the night after.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #5
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

borat's movie was amazing. can't wait to see him..again...and most importantly to see what Damien plays and if anyone is with him!!!

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
ste_swann
Stupidest Eskimo

We haven't NBC here...please, please someone record it
ste_swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

I think Martha Stewart will become a big Damo fan after tonight...

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #8
tj
Phono Vox

Maybe she could make a come back as the all new company head of Heffa?!? Or maybe her five years aren't over yet?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #9
Riven
These Living Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13086
and most importantly to see what Damien plays and if anyone is with him!!!
It says on this page: "The Irish troubadour DAMIEN RICE performs the lovely "9 Crimes" off his greatly-anticipated new album, 9."

So looks like 9 crimes will be played.
Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #10
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

All the Tonight Show are usually available on BitTorrent within a couple of days.

"To avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #11
droovin
A Hoi-Hoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaway
This usually runs on ITV 2/3/4 (I don't know which, sorry!) in the UK either on the night or the night after.
i remember staying up till about 3 or 4 o clock after he did the Letterman show. god i loved that performance

My Band

My Usual Hangout
droovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:03 PM   #12
J.M.C
Eskimo

its on in the uk on the NBC channel thing early next week.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #13
mickey13086

the letterman "i remember" is my favorite mp3 recording. at least in the top 3. it is so perfect in my opinion.

MySpace
Old 11-10-2006, 01:28 AM   #14
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

bah, i feel horrible, but i must stay awake to watch this performance! the show starts at 11:35... anyone know what time i should expect him to play at? prolly 15 or so minutes after 12?

i love watching damien play live on tv!! he is almost as good live on tv... almost!
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:52 AM   #15
damosmymuse
Eskimo painter

i just returned from the tonight show....

first: damien news...
he plays 9 crimes. lisa is there.
it is perfect. as usual.

secondther tonight show stuff
Borat is awesome. very very very funny.
as usual.

third: my seats.
i sat in the very last seat on the left hand side of the audience.
the cloest possible seat to damien.
literally 15 ft away.
it was surreal after the show when he was just milling around talking to Jay and Borat.
I definitely owe the person who called these seats in a fantastic bottle of whiskey.

It was incredible.
i wanted to yell eskimo. but i have worked on sets. and yelling is very annoying, and highly discouraged.
damosmymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:17 AM   #16
VolcanoesMeltUDown
Eskimo Friend

Ahh you're lucky!! Did he do some sort of Q&A with the audience? I know the artists on Conan do that.
VolcanoesMeltUDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:54 AM   #17
damosmymuse
Eskimo painter

no q & a
but still fun.

i have lived in LA my entire life and havee never been to the tonight show.. so it was fun..
normally tapings are very boring,
but the tonight show was actually fun.
damosmymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:03 AM   #18
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13086
the letterman "i remember" is my favorite mp3 recording. at least in the top 3. it is so perfect in my opinion.
Hmm. I remember (no pun intended) being really disappointed. I thought it was sadly rushed and consequently way too short.

Then again, I'd probably been spoiled. Letterman was, where I first encountered DR. He played "Cannonball" and I was completely blown away by the unnatural, effortless power quietly emanating from the soul of this tiny man. It was about two days before I left to spend the Summer in Europe and every country I went to I was asking everybody "have you heard of Damien Rice"?

P.S. Sacha is totally killing. I'm crying!

Edit: OMG, That entire bed bit is going to go down in the annals of classic television comedy. Please tell me all you US eskimos just saw that!

Damo is up next!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Hate to say it but that was the worst performance of "9 Crimes" ever. Painfully slowed down, Damo was sleepwalking through it with no emotion whatsoever, never even really built to a climax. Illuminated everything I dislike about that song.

Last edited by Spamlet; 11-10-2006 at 04:39 AM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:41 AM   #19
rosie_g
...I've got years...

OMG he is sooooo gorgeous and lisa is soooo beautiful. He kept his eyes closed the whole time he was singing...he looked amazing but i wasnt able to see his beautiful green eyes i recored it on vhs and im absoultly clueless if i can somehow get in on the computer.
rosie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:41 AM   #20
Rue Saint-Denis
Eskimo Ghost

I agree, Spamlet. It lacked emotion.
Rue Saint-Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:45 AM   #21
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

first off... lisa hannigan is such a beautiful young lady!

second... damo owned that show man! i liked it much better then the studio version... if only he would have played all the versus! it had much more potential to build emotion as spamlet said, but i think with cutting the song short he didn't do so, but non the less... i enjoyed it!!!!

i did feel like lisa was trying to go much faster then damien wanted to at the beggining, but oh well.. it was cool! i always enjoying watching my favorite singer/songwritet performing!
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:46 AM   #22
Riven
These Living Arms

How far was it into the show when Damien was on? ( so I can set my alarm clock...) The show's on in a couple more hours in my timezone.

Last edited by Riven; 11-10-2006 at 04:55 AM.
Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:55 AM   #23
Nxoone
Eskimo Baby

It seemed The Tonight Show was running late, I wonder if he was told to rush the song...?
Nxoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:56 AM   #24
VolcanoesMeltUDown
Eskimo Friend

Last 7 minutes of the show. And he was lacking emotion, as damn good looking as he was.
VolcanoesMeltUDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:38 AM   #25
justlivinglifetothemax
Eskimo Baby

is it me or did damien seem to be stiff? I have to agree, he lacked emotion and not the best performance, but nonetheless good to see him on tv.
justlivinglifetothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:56 AM   #26
pintura714
Eskimo Baby

Default seeing damien!

Omg i also went to the tonight show and i sat on the 3rd row on the floor with the perfect damien rice view! He had such a cute smirk in his face and when he did the borat hand sign that was hilarious!ahhh hes amazing and beautiful i realized he is not very tall but hes awesome anyway! I cant believe he was like 3 feet away from me! i will remember this forever
pintura714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:01 AM   #27
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

No folks,

If anything, there was more time left over than usual after he was done singing.

Carvin: They did sing all the verses, there are only two! BTW, I'm guessing you did miss the rest of the show as you planned because, undisputedly, Sacha Baron Cohen's "Borat" was the owner of that show tonight. Never have I seen one guest afforded more air-time or one who made such memorable magic out of every moment of that opportunity. Sheer comic genius.

It was actually the opposite of being rushed. They tried to stretch that thing out and that's a huge mistake since it's a mere whisp of a song which falls totally apart under that length. When they got to the mid point before all those "Is that alright, yeeahs" I felt the stagnancy more palpably than ever. That song desperately needs a shift of some kind in the middle. Come to think of it it just plain needs a middle. It's a beginning and an ending. Without even building up to a crescendo (whose function serves some variation in lieu of a bridge) you aren't left with much to sustain interest. Even if you've never felt that way before now, as I realize I always have been essentially the lone detractor of this song, don't be surprised if you finally notice it during this performance.

Yes, Damo and co. definitely looked great. Damn good lookin' group of people. The rest of them played beautifully. Still couldn't redeem the uncharacteristically apathetic performance of my hero.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:13 AM   #28
mickey13086

i for one believe the stiffness that you refer to isn't on purpose... the "lack of emotion" i believe is what he feels when he sings that song. i think that it seriously is affecting him when he sings it. i don't understand how you don't feel emotion in his performance of that song. just because he doesn't sing the way he normally does or reach that certain note that he holds in most all songs or that there is only a beginning and end...who cares. he breaks a lot of rules in many different songs. why does it need another verse or a bridge?? if thats all he is feeling. i feel when they (lisa and damien) go back and forth "is that alright, yeah" etc...that that is the most important aspect of the song. they don't need anything else because those words, and that play off of each other is the song. and apathy in this sense can be an emotion or something damien rice is trying to express which he is so numb during this song, i don't think that is an accident. watching him sing that song tonight i definitely felt emotion, and not just from him, but the lyrics and the play off of each other affected me. but to each their own.

and the "i remember" WAS amazing. it was faster than normal and didnt have his proper ending to the song or a longer version that he does live (which i've seen and is amazing) but this was for a tv show with a given time and i thought the song as fast as it went, it was sharp and the guitar playing and singing was amazing. he was like a bottle rocket that had all this energy building up and then just erupted. i will defend that video/mp3 to the end.

haha

MySpace
Old 11-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #29
tuckatangent
Eskimo Regular

so where is this "i remember" vid everyone's discussing? i'd love to see it.
tuckatangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #30
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

On the videos page on this very site.

Mickey,

Naturally, he can do whatever he wants. That doesn't make it good, engaging or satisfying. I'm willing to watch it again but there's a huge difference between havng emotion bottled up inside while trying not to show it and just plain not being emotionally invested. Ambivilence isn't the same thing as apathy. The first is fascinating to witness. I've been acting now for well over 20 years and I can tell the difference. Especially in someone who I've seen perform with such seething under restraint so compellingly numerous times. I felt none of that this time. In fact, I prefer subtle performances like that so I don't require him to explode on cue. In this particular song, though, nothing new much happens in it after the first verse so that lack of variation can easily become droning especially when it gets slowed down so much.