Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 09-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Default Any Julio Medem fans??

Any Julio Medem fans here? In my opinion Julio Medem is the greatest filmaker of all time!!! This Spanish filmaker deserves to be ranked alongside the best!!!

He’s really unique, passionate, imaginative, innovative… most important he has his own universe, which you can find in all his movies. He makes the most beautiful movies ever, full of poetry and sensuality and eroticism, in fact I think his films are closer to art than to cinema. He has some recurrent themes in his films, love/death, life as a circle, destiny, coincidences…

He’s been quiet for the last years, partially recovering from filming his documentary about the situation in the Basque Country (La Pelota Basca) but is back now with a new film called Caotica Ana (Caotic Ana) which just opened in Spain. Can’t wait to watch it!!!

He debuted in 92 with Vacas, which was followed by La Ardilla Roja (The Red Squirrel), his first masterpiece!!! It’s about a girl who has a motorbike accident and cannot remember anything afterwards, and a guy that takes adventage of her by pretending to be her boyfriend. His 3rd film, Tierra, is also amazing, about a guy with split personality, with each personality falling for a different girl. Then came Los Amantes del Circulo Polar (Lovers of the Arctic Circle), my absolutely favourite. It’s a mesmerizing film, that’s art with capital letters. It follow the lives of Otto and Anna since they’re kids til they’re adults and all the coincidences that happen in their lives. After that, came Lucia y el Sexo (Sex and Lucia), probably his most popular film. I think in the US you got a censored version of the movie due to its explicit sex scenes, which were not a problem in Spain but had to be cut here. I’ve watched this film 20 times, and every time I understand it differently. Hard to tell what part of the film is real, what part is fiction. Maybe we can discussed it if someone has watched it. Same with the ending to Lovers of the Arctic Circle
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

i looooooooooove Los Amantes del Circulo Polar, the narration technique is just brilliant. i have the dvd but i haven't watched it in years, you just gave me a reason. seriously, i think it's one of the most beautiful movies i've seen, although **spoilers** i was devastated at the end and i was very upset for days **end of spoilers**
i also saw sex and lucia on tv the other day, but it had already started, i'll try to rent the uncensored version
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:48 PM   #3
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

The only one i've seen is Lucia y el sexo... it's the only one that ever came out while i was in Venezuela... which was my home at the time.

I've seen twice and its brilliant! ... i shall see it again now that you have mentioned it here and reminded me of how good it is!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...

Last edited by mariaoran; 09-02-2007 at 01:32 AM.
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:03 AM   #4
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Glad you guys like him too!!!!!!!! I hadn't re-watched the movies in ages but now everybody is talking about him again (in Spain), so last week I rented Los Amantes del Circulo Polar/Lovers of the Arctic Pole and fell completely in love again with Medem's movies!!! Los Amantes is in my top 3 movies ever!!!! The scene at the beginning in which the little boy makes the paper planes (with a question written on them) and throws them thru the window is amazing!!!!!

With my sister we had this tradition of going to watch all Medem's movies on the opening day (Fri in Spain) and at 4pm (first session), but now I missed the new one Caotica Ana!!!!!!

You can watch the trailer of his new movie Caotica Ana here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZN-tT9Ibyk

Looks amazing!!!! It was filmed in Spain but also New York and Arizona. Cannot wait!!! And it's a very personal story for Medem because it's based on his sister, Ana, a painter that died a few years ago in a car crash. I remember Medem's family were at an art gallery waiting for this Ana, it was the opening day of her (first?) exhibition, but she had that accident and never arrived. But not sure if this is in the movie or is just loosely based on her...

Hope it gets a US release!!! Uncensored please!!! I think Lucia had lots of problems with the censorship in the US, at one point it was gonna be rated X so I guess they had to edit it...
Old 09-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Since i trust you judgement and taste.... i shall rent Los Amantes del Circulo Polar to see over my labor day holiday!

His new movie does look amazing! the movie is based on his sister or just the name?

...Oh god such a sad story about his sister's accident!

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
Old 09-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I think the new movie is based on his sister's life, since she was a painter and the character in the movie is a painter too, but not sure how much...

Definetely go and rent Los Amantes!!!!!! I think Los Amantes and Lucia are the only ones available in the US, eh? anyone?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:56 AM   #7
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Weeeell.....I guess I could say I'm a new fan....

Wow, what an incredible introduction borneoman! I think I should've hired you when I was writing my intro for Stephen !

With all the poise I can muster..

Lucia y el Sexo (Sex and Lucia), probably his most popular film. I think in the US you got a censored version of the movie due to its explicit sex scenes, which were not a problem in Spain but had to be cut here. I’ve watched this film 20 times

Where is this uncensored version......absolutely I'll be watching this 20 times....

Maybe we can discussed it if someone has watched it.

Suuure....if you want to hear my very insightful analysis, I'll be more than happy to share

I've seen twice and its brilliant!

Maria! It's times like this that a pm is needed !!

trailer of his new movie Caotica Ana here
Oh my goooooodness. Please, could someone tell me that beautiful man's name......

Hope it gets a US release!!! Uncensored please!!!

I second that!.....and I hope that man gets naked.....haha for very artistic purposes of course !

I think Los Amantes and Lucia are the only ones available in the US, eh? anyone?

I don't know about the US, but I'll definitely be petitioning for the uncensored in Canada!! Woohoo! And though my espanol is tres bien , haha I don't even care if they leave out the subtitles!!
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:19 AM   #8
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

haha... your veeery funny!

Well get moving girl... go rent the movie ... actually both movies "Lucia y el Sexo" and "Los Amantes del circulo Polar" and watch them !
Then come back over to the Igloo and we'll have great discussions about them!

oh and after the long and insightful discussions ...we'll create a petition and send it over to whoever censores stuff and demand that the new film comes to the US and Canada uncensored!

As for your question Marti... i found Los Amantes in this suuper tiny store for movies and books ... it's Spanish so they have Lucia, Los Amantes, and about 3 others which i'm sure is not all of his! ... have you seen "La pelota Vasca..." ? do u recommend it?... but i truly doubt that this is the case for ALL of the US ...

Ps... i'm sure you won't need subtitles at all !

Last edited by mariaoran; 09-03-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:01 AM   #9
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Just went to this video store and rented Lucia!! so I'm gonna watch it again (21st time maybe and there's a sticker that says 'uncensored version'!!!!!! Let's see!!!!!!

La Pelota Vasca (I never remember if it's Basca or Vasca, look how good is my Spanish... ) is a documentary, not really a film. Mostly it's interviews. It's about the situation in the Basque Country and terrorism/nationalism. It's also very pedagogic (does this word exist?) because it explains how nationalist parties started and how ETA started. The ex-government of Aznar critizised the movie and were really against it and said it was pro-ETA, but the truth is that they were invited to take part in the movie and offer their point of view but declined. Highly recommended of course

I have Medem-mania all over again!!!!!!!!!!!! People go rent his movies
Old 09-03-2007, 03:22 AM   #10
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Whooooooooa......you guys weren't kidding.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zXdfkZ0qK5o

huh.......wow....... huh........
Old 09-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #11
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

^LOL! you funny you!

I will definately watch it it Marti sounds tres Interesante!
And it's with a V for sure ! ... ... "La pelota Vasca"

... except in english(i think French too) it's with a B... Basque!

Last edited by mariaoran; 09-03-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #12
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^ He he, my first language is Catalan, now I remember, in Catalan is Pais Basc and in Spanish is Pais Vasco

Ohhhhhhhh I rented/rewatched Lucia yesterday and the US DVD is the same as the Spanish one, no censored
Old 09-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #13
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Your first language is Catalan?? oh Marti i like you even more now!... you're from Spain right? where from!?

haha i rented it too and watched it .... i now think its even better! i wont dscuss it here though! don't want to spoil it for anyone who will see it after reading this wonderful thread!
haha i'll watch Los Amantes today!

Old 09-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #14
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

oh, maria.....what's wrong with us english speakers . Haha...but I was serious...I was quite stunned!....I'm mean.....hmmm .....I don't think that's a movie I would watch with my sister or a family member

borneoman, do you know that man's name in Caotica Ana....haha I really am quite interested
Old 09-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #15
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

nothin wrong ... it's just that i get really happy when i hear from people from Spain (my dad and his family are from Spain) ... sooo there's a Spanish connection!
... i still like the english speakers!!! haha... canadian apeakers i mean! ... and noo it's definately not a family moviel!

Old 09-04-2007, 12:16 AM   #16
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Lindsay, you mean the actor in Lucia y El Sexo?? His name is Tristan Ulloa, done tons of movies in Spain.

Funny thing is that by pure chance me & my sister met him once, on the street, and by coincidence my sister had the Lucia y El Sexo script, I mean, they made the script into a book and we asked him to sign it. And he was, ah, you guys want me to sign this? sure? and we were , yes!!!!!! and he signed it!!!

and Maria, I'm from Girona, north off Barcelona. In fact I'm from a town called Olot, close to the mountains. We were always on the news a few years ago because they kidnapped this pharmacist woman and was always on the news (la farmaceutica de Olot
Old 09-04-2007, 02:59 AM   #17
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

^^ my dad was born in Canarias! but lived in Madrid untill he graduated from the university ... He went to Venezuela after that... result:: i'm from Venezuela! hehe

Last edited by mariaoran; 09-04-2007 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:19 AM   #18
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

haha...niiiiice try maria! and what do you mean ....haha I hope you're not implying we have our own language....haha I mean we do apparently say "eh" alot....but I promise the rest of what we say makes a touch of sense

borneoman....ummm....I guess it's nice to know his name as well (and wooow...what a coincidence!)....but I mean the man from the new movie....the one with the dark hair !!!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:40 AM   #19
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Oh my god, The 'heh' thing is soooooooo true!!!!! all my co-workers are Canadians and they use the 'heh' AFTER EACH SENTENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But it's funny, I like it!!!

and this is another coincidence (Medem would be happy!!), I never thought about Canadians accents but just last Friday we were watching this amazing movie called My Life Without Me (Mi Vida Sin Mi), and it's a Spanish movie but made in Canada and the main actress is Canadian, Sara Polley (best actress in the world by the way!!). We were watching it with a friend who is American, and 5 minutes after starting he asked me: Is she Canadian? and I flipped and asked him how did he knew, and he said that it was soooooo easy and he also mentioned the 'heh' thing, then we paid attention and this Sara Polley does it after each sentence!!! In the movie she also mentions the group Nirvana and apparently the US and Canadian pronunciations are very different, can't remember exactly
Old 09-04-2007, 05:00 AM   #20
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay
haha...niiiiice try maria! and what do you mean ....haha I hope you're not implying we have our own language....haha I mean we do apparently say "eh" alot....but I promise the rest of what we say makes a touch of sense

borneoman....ummm....I guess it's nice to know his name as well (and wooow...what a coincidence!)....but I mean the man from the new movie....the one with the dark hair !!!
haha nope ... but ya'll do say Heh a lot < --- notice me practicing my Texan! "ya'll"... ... hehe i have a canadian friend that goes to school with me ... we always tease her with the "Ouuut and aboout!" pronunciation (clearly i don't know how to write out pronunciations! )

And ... there are two guys in the trailer.... both cute!...
Asier Newman and Nicolas Cazalé... you can google them and figure out which one's the one you like! ... i do have to say Nicolas is the cuter one! hehe

Old 09-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #21
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

ahaha....you're tricking me borneoman, I thought I would read your post about who the lovely man is!!.....instead you're writing about my incredible language !

But what are you both refering to? When we say "eh" like you pronounce the letter "a", or when we say hey/heh....like you pronounce "a barrel of hay". I guess we say both all the time.....yaaaaaa......hehe we're especially articulate aren't we !

oh maria.....you must be teasing me now! TWO MEN?!?! This movie is getting better and better . But I really only see one sexy man with dark hair...hmmm....but I shall go look up both of them....thanks darlin'!

Last edited by Lindsay; 10-14-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #22
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

haha i tease you not! ... more eyecandy for ya!

ps... maybe it's because they're both dark haired cuties!

Old 09-04-2007, 11:11 PM   #23
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

ooooooooh my gosh !!! Christmas in the igloo ....What is the name of the movie again ?

Last edited by Lindsay; 09-04-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #24
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

So Lindsay, he he, how do you say 'Nirvana'???
Old 09-05-2007, 12:10 AM   #25
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

haha... Woop Woop!!

does the name of the movie really matter?!

... hehe i think this thread has deviated from it's original purpose.... soooooooo .... Julio Medem is great... his casting skills are fabulous!! hehe

Old 09-05-2007, 02:03 AM
Lindsay
This message has been deleted by Lindsay.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:59 AM   #26
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

wow, this thread has sure gone off-topic!! here's another cutie, from 'los amantes ...'

his name is fele martinez, he might not be a cutie in an obvious way, but he has certain something and he's a fantastic actor
Old 09-05-2007, 04:41 AM   #27
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Yep, let's re-focus!!!

Here's the trailer of Lovers of the Arctic Circle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZxNd1K359g

and another interesting fact about Medem is that he studied Medecine and he was working as a doctor... and then gave it all up and started making movies at age 35 or 40 or something. Amazing eh??

His movies are so so inspiring. That's what cinema should be like in my opinion, art before entertaining. But it's funny because I know a lot of people here in Santa Cruz that study film, and for them, it's just the opposite, they only wanna make big movies that make lots of money. They've never heard about Medem, Lars von Trier, Almodovar, Wong Kar Wai or Kim Ki Duk. Their hero is Spielberg!!!

By the way, Cali did you watch Lucia????????????????????????
Old 09-05-2007, 05:06 AM   #28
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

no i didn't, i've been super busy, but i'll try to rent it next week.
ps. spielberg sucks, except for ET
are you a film student marti?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:47 AM   #29
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay
Oh my gosh..... I love this thread!! Haha....everything about it makes me smile!!! But I know Maria....I swear, I have a tendency to do this to all of borneoman's threads . But I did hold back on the amount of pics I posted, haha I'm quite proud of myself actually!! But not to worry, I'll be saving the rest for the eyecandy thread But absolutely! Medem is my hero....hehe his casting skills are phenomenal!!
Very proud my dear ... but i will never object to pics of very yummy guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Yep, let's re-focus!!!

Here's the trailer of Lovers of the Arctic Circle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZxNd1K359g

and another interesting fact about Medem is that he studied Medecine and he was working as a doctor... and then gave it all up and started making movies at age 35 or 40 or something. Amazing eh??

His movies are so so inspiring. That's what cinema should be like in my opinion, art before entertaining. But it's funny because I know a lot of people here in Santa Cruz that study film, and for them, it's just the opposite, they only wanna make big movies that make lots of money. They've never heard about Medem, Lars von Trier, Almodovar, Wong Kar Wai or Kim Ki Duk. Their hero is Spielberg!!!

By the way, Cali did you watch Lucia????????????????????????

Wow... that's a pretty incredible thing... i always think that it's very admirable when doctors (or any field for that matter) give it all up to change to a totally different field... to be a doctor you need to work sooo hard and be in school for sooo long and be very dedicated ... And then to figure out that you don't want to do that anymore... sort of figure out that it's "not your real calling!" ... amazing!! ... and he's just amazing at filmmaking which is even more incredible!

Big movies are for the masses!... I think!... I can perfectly fine sit through a Spielberg movie but it's just for entertainment, they really leave me with nothing!... it's the small movies that really are works of art... I prefer a movie that really challenges me to THINK! .... by the way also like Almodovar a looooot!!!

Yayyy Cali... you came back !!!
... Julio Medem is too good for it to be just the three of us in here <--- not that i'm complaining!

.... ohh and go watch Lucia!! ... You too Lindsay!!

Old 09-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #30
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

aww , I was having so much fun in here...it was the best thread eeever . But ok, ok, I won't divert the topic anymore

Maria.... ya it might take me awhile to find it here....though I'm thinking maybe I should just order it online, I may want to watch it more than once