Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 08-14-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
iherb86
loverofemotionalsingers

Default Just wanted...

an opinion on a cover of volcano I did live about a year and a half ago. Its on my band website at http://www.myspace.com/ennuiofthefaith. The other songs on there are pretty badly recorded but we are about to come out with our first demo done in a professional studio in september, so if you like the crappy recorded stuff, I'm sure you will love the new stuff we will put up. Anyway just wanted good honest feedback from fellow lovers of real music.

Keep the real music alive.
Isaac
is wisdom wasted on the past
only by the grace of god go i
i am blessed to be a witness-ben harper
iherb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:31 AM   #2
audity
High-Five Eskimo

You seriously need to work on your strum pattern, and not just for this song, but in general...
The vocals were ok though...

Your version stirs up a different set of emotions for me than Damien's. When I hear Damien's, I want to work out, run on my treadmill...
When I heard your cover, I wanted to...I don't know...critique!

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
iherb86
loverofemotionalsingers

Yes the rhythm is different, But it is still in correct and in 4\4 time signature. It was not supposed to be just like damien rice's version, it was my own take on it. But the rhythm was still on. But really thank you for your honest opinion, its hard to come by those these days.

Last edited by iherb86; 08-15-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Actually, I both agree and disagree with audity,

I'd say your vocals were the worst part. The inconsistent slide work in "Lady" (Really nice harmonica though) was much more distracting than the too hard, shrieky sounding upstrums in the guitar of "Volcano" (rhythm is but one aspect of good strumming).

When you sang about kissing her mouth and back I thought "unless it's a peck I just don't buy it." There's no hint of true lust anywhere in your squeaky-clean delivery and it's way too clipped to sound convincing. Also the part where you sang "what I give to you is just what I'm going through" was so goofy and yodel-like that it made me laugh.

The girl had a nice, sultry voice but even she was forced to rush and basically your version tries to take all of the sex out of the song. That song needs to ooze in a smokey way like hot lava (it is called "Volcano" after all) and I agree w/audity that the snappy tempo doesn't allow for that. I just kept thinking "slow down! What the Hell's your hurry?"

That was probably way more honesty than you hoped for.

P.S.

Musically, your other two songs were really quite surprising and well done (great drumming and strings) but for a guy who claims to strive for good lyrics, those were remarkably generic and Hallmark card-ish in both cliche and over-sentimentality.

By the way, "Ennui of the Faith" is a terrible name for any band other than a Death Metal outfit, but especially so for a Christian Rock/inspirational band like yours. You do know that the definition of "ennui" is extreme dislike or boredom, right?
Old 08-16-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

i don't know. somehow you made that song sound average. there's nothing special anymore to it. took all the great volcano spirit out off it.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:49 AM   #6
iherb86
loverofemotionalsingers

Yeah "lady" was put down in a hurry, so the slide work wasn't so good. and lyrically the songs that are on the demo coming out in september are better, but the key word is "striving", I know we haven't reached our peak in song writing, we are still learning and growing. Which is what its all about when you are trying to find you're own voice. The strumming aspect is still a matter of opinion and I still like it the way it was done. and I know that there are more aspects to strumming than just rhythm, thats just what I thought audity was reffering too. I agree that the song was a little rushed, which a year and a half ago I was still a little nervous about being onstage. And I do disagree with the kissing her mouth part, I thought I sang that with plenty of passion(you have been thrown by mislabling us as a "christian rock band") Yes we did know what the word ennui means. The name is supposed to refer to those of us of the faith, who are weary of the world around us. But Thank you for your honest opinions because we know that will only help us in our growing process. Blunt honesty is definately what we need these days.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
audity
High-Five Eskimo

Since the songs were old, I hope your new stuff is better...

I will agree with Spamlet in saying that there was not enough lust/passion in 'Volcano'...I will agree with Spamlet and myself by saying that you rushed through it...

Is Ennui of the Faith really your band name? I thought it was a joke.

Anyway, thanks for dealing with our criticism so well and I hope you guys improve!

Good luck.

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote