Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-04-2005, 03:34 AM   #1
jai mitchell
Eskimo Baby

Default Damien getting major commercial radio play in Australia...

Thought it was worth telling you all after I was surprised to hear the remix of Cannonball at work the other day when someone had a pretty commercial radio station on here on the gold coast in queensland Australia...

My girlfriend tells me that she has that station on at work every day and it has been getting played at least twice a day for the last few weeks... to the point she is sick of it and gives me **** about liking Damien Rice.. which hurts deep man! lol

The station is 'Gold FM' and has the slogan "playing the best hits of the 80's, 90's and today" or something... mostly plays ****... then every now and then there is Damo.. wtf?

I'm all for Damien getting more recognition, but I'd like to see the reaction of the people that buy his album based on that remix when it gets to the opera section in eskimo friend... haha!

Jai
jai mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:36 AM   #2
jai mitchell
Eskimo Baby

you can't say SHlT in this forum? What's the world coming to?

Jai
Old 04-04-2005, 03:54 AM   #3
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

^ i know (hehe you said it tho)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai mitchell

I'm all for Damien getting more recognition, but I'd like to see the reaction of the people that buy his album based on that remix when it gets to the opera section in eskimo friend... haha!

Jai
hahaha! that would be funny!! i get such strange looks from ppl when i'm listening to eskimo i finally played damien for my dad yesterday and he was like "well i guess he's... uh... original!" lol (i'll cut him some slack tho he is 79 and likes big band/swing)

damien's still getting no radio play in america... or not much anyway, commercial or otherwise. but a friend from ireland told me they play the cannonball remix at his work through the MUZAK system!! i'm sorry but it's a sad sad day when damien's music becomes relegated to the domain of supermarket or elevator music.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
cille
creepycute

i've heard damien at my local supermarket
and that darned remix is being played quite often at pop radio stations here. one time after it was played the announcer said: "that was damien rice with the song cannonball from the album O" !!! i just had to shout as loud as i could: "that one is NOT from O, it's a completely different song from the one on O, shame on you stoopid radio guy!!!"

i'm sure my neightbours apreciated that information... where would they be without me

(in a quieter neightbourhood i guess)
Old 04-04-2005, 11:51 PM   #5
auhsor
Friend of Eskimos

Well I guess its's good that he's getting airplay, even though its on those commecial stations. An interesting note is that my brother heard him on Triple J (the good youth, non commercial station here). He was playing a live set recorded by Triple J. It would have been nic eto hear that.
auhsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:53 PM   #6
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by auhsor
Well I guess its's good that he's getting airplay, even though its on those commecial stations. An interesting note is that my brother heard him on Triple J (the good youth, non commercial station here). He was playing a live set recorded by Triple J. It would have been nic eto hear that.

Ooooo.... recorded where?

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:42 AM   #7
auhsor
Friend of Eskimos

Well I don't really know. My brother didn't hear the whole thing, just some of a song and I think a bit of an interview. I'm not really sure. He doesn't really know any of Damiens songs, but he knew it was him because he's heard me playing it.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:13 AM   #8
BIG TIM
Polar bear

Quote:

The station is 'Gold FM' and has the slogan "playing the best hits of the 80's, 90's and today" or something... mostly plays ****... then every now and then there is Damo.. wtf?
Jai
I know what you mean about the stations he is getting played on. we got this Music TV in New Zealand and its all the old stuff, but i saw some of the origional Cannonball video on and i was stoaked.

give it a while and everyone in mainstream will catch up and all the commerical radios will play all sorts of remix's ten times a day.

but hey what ever get him over here in concert.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:35 PM   #9
kleinetigger
Eskimo Baby

Haven't heard Damien on the local radio, but have seen the clip of Cannonball (think it's the AOL session) on VH1 cable. Only see it a couple of times though.....wish they'd show his stuff more.....

Will keep my ear out for him though on radio waves... Thanks for the prompt.
kleinetigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #10
Juzzza
Eskimo Regular

He's finally made it... Cannonball (the original version) was played at yoga the other night!!!

http://www.myspace.com/justinthorne
http://www.myspace.com/jtintheshadows
Juzzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:24 PM   #11
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzzza
He's finally made it... Cannonball (the original version) was played at yoga the other night!!!
what's yoga?

(i know what YOGA is, smartasses - it's that guy from star wars of course ( ) - but what is yoga in this case?)
Old 04-06-2005, 05:45 PM   #12
soda
dutchkimo

well, Juzzza goes to yoga lessons, and there, during some nice excersise they played cannonball. makes sence to me, just like your star wars guy.
soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 07:11 AM   #13
jai mitchell
Eskimo Baby

Hey Auhsor, Damien has definately been getting played on triple J for quite some time now... that was where I first heard of him about 18 months ago.. and when he toured here last year they had him on the morning show for an interview and for the 'like a version' segment where people do one cover and one original live in the studio..

Damien did an amazing cover of Princes 'When Doves Cry' to the guitar of Led Zeps 'Babe I'm gonna Leave You' then did some of the led zep song too... was amazing.. he then played 'Blowers Daughter Pt II'...

Jai
Old 04-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #14
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
what's yoga?

(i know what YOGA is, smartasses - it's that guy from star wars of course ( ) - but what is yoga in this case?)
yoga is exercise that kinda of focuses on steady breathing and being able to bend in very strange ways. but the one you're thinking of is yoda.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:45 PM   #15
cille
creepycute

^hee hee hee
sorry livo i already knew that, silly silly me...
but thanks anyway
Old 04-13-2005, 07:55 AM   #16
auhsor
Friend of Eskimos

Quote:
Hey Auhsor, Damien has definately been getting played on triple J for quite some time now... that was where I first heard of him about 18 months ago.. and when he toured here last year they had him on the morning show for an interview and for the 'like a version' segment where people do one cover and one original live in the studio..

Damien did an amazing cover of Princes 'When Doves Cry' to the guitar of Led Zeps 'Babe I'm gonna Leave You' then did some of the led zep song too... was amazing.. he then played 'Blowers Daughter Pt II'...

Jai
Ah thats cool, I have only fairly recently starting to listening to the radio alot. I guess being a pizza delivery guy and having no CD player in the car does that to you.

I still havn't heard the cannonball remixed song on the radio or anything. Now come to think of it I havn't heard it at all
Old 05-15-2005, 07:25 AM   #17
TinyTragedies
Eskimo Baby

They just made "Like a Version" into a cd and Damien Rice's cover of When Doves Cry is on it! Has anyone bought it? You can buy it from the ABC Shop and i recently spotted it at JB too... i'm too poor to buy it but i so desperately want to here him cover When Doves Cry. :-(
http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/produc...oductid=363666

-Karen
TinyTragedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:01 PM   #18
administrator
forum administrator

thanks for that

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:45 PM   #19
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

^ of course it's on the front page already
Quote:
Originally Posted by auhsor
I still havn't heard the cannonball remixed song on the radio or anything. Now come to think of it I havn't heard it at all
loveless posted a link to a snippet of it in this thread..

http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/s...nnonball+remix

prepare yourself.. it's painful for me to listen to anyway..
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:53 PM   #20
auhsor
Friend of Eskimos

Hey I've been hearing alot of those songs on Like a Version getting airplay on Triple J. I havnt heard Damiens song though. The Cat Empires Hotel California in French is something really cool though.

Oh, and I heard the remix... Gah its really bad!