Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 01-28-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
Thomas9
Eskimo Friend

Really it's the only part of the song that has me wondering. . .

I don't know how many times I've thought over what he could mean by:

older chests reveal themselves

The first time I heard it, I interpreted "chest" as the area between your neck and stomach; and so I took "older chests"to meanthe chests of the elderly. What I thought he meant by this is that behind your chest is your heart, lungs and all sorts of other stuff which eventually will cease to function in old age --so then you have:

reveal themselves like a crack in the wall

I could see the analogy here. When a crack appears in a wall, people acknowledge it and say that they'll get it sorted... but they just leave it on the back-burner; and over time the crack slowly grows until finally somethingmust be done about it. A stitch in time saves nine, as they say. If they'd fixed the crack long ago, there'd be a lot less work to do and a lot less hassle, and they wouldn't be in this situation now.

So I was thinking maybe it had something do with people who knowingly abuse their health, but only actually rectify the situationonce they're ill. Take teenagers who smoke; they know full well that smoking kills (and at the very least that smokers die younger), but they smoke cigarattes each day and see no ill effects. They continue to smoke and tell themselves that they'll stop in time. . . but before they know they're forty andthat crack has grown too large.

Without getting personal here, maybe Damien knows some-one who died of lung cancer perhaps?

But still I think maybe I'm just just fabricating meaning out of what I simply don't know? So I thought maybe it referred to a chest as in "a chest of drawers". But still I'm striving to take any meaning from it... ?

I think it's a genuinely good song, so I just like to know what motivated Damo to talk about older chests revealing themselves.
Thomas9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 11:17 AM   #2
Juzzza
Eskimo Regular

This I did hear from Damo's mouth.

He was staying with a friend and was pissed off at the architecture of modern buildings and the lack of craftmanship in things like chests and furniture.

Hence, 'older chests reveal themselves, like a crack in a wall, starting small and grow in time'.

So he's saying, they get better with age and show up the modern crap churned out by the likes of Ikea.

http://www.myspace.com/justinthorne
http://www.myspace.com/jtintheshadows
Juzzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
WahooRye
Eskimo Baby

you people just blew my mind [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
Thomas9
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Hence, 'older chests reveal themselves, like a crack in a wall, starting small and grow in time'.

So he's saying, they get better with age and show up the modern crap churned out by the likes of Ikea.

Okay but. . . how can "a crack in a wall" symbolize a good thing? "a crack in a wall" is a very bad thing and its "grow[th] in time" makes it worse and worse. . . I think I'm missing the point here, but if you've got a crack in thewall in a bricks-and-mortur house (or a crack in the windscreen of your car for that matter), then you've got to get it sorted as soon as possible or it'll end up splintering in every direction and the wall will collapse, in time that is[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img].Edited by: Thomas9
Old 01-28-2005, 02:19 PM   #5
Juzzza
Eskimo Regular

I think the crack in the wall, is specifically related to the growth over time, not specifically a symbol of good or bad.

http://www.myspace.com/justinthorne
http://www.myspace.com/jtintheshadows
Juzzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:08 PM   #6
Thomas9
Eskimo Friend

Jesus that's one twisted comparison!

older chests reveal themselves

like a crack in a wall

starting small

and grow in time

"a crack in a wall" = their appeal

When they're first made, they're definitely admired but their appeal is
at its lowest now, and as such their appeal "starts small", but
ofcourse as time goes by these older chests are more and more revered,
or as Damien puts it, they reveal themselves.

My logic was too clouded by the negative connontations of "a crack in a
wall", to see what he was getting at! Makes me wonder why he used that
comparison though... is it just simply that a crack in a wall takes sssooo</span>
long to grow, yet its stages are noticed, like how someone once in a
while will say "Jayz that crack's getting bigger", or is there maybe a
little something negative in there, like a sort of admittance that
while they may be beautiful antiques, objects do inevitably wear with
time... ? And maybe the whole idea of this object having "lived" so
long and having only become more</span> appealing in that time, it made Damo ponder over how "there's always time"... ?

But thats just me scraping ideas from the bottom of the barrell...

Old 01-28-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
LostCause
Eskimo Regular

I think he talks about "Older Chest" in the video (gig/interview)from Italy. Check out the video section. Is he high or drunk in that video?? He's talking alot and some things almost doesnt make sense. Just like me now..[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
like it's ninteeen seventy three
well that was the river
this is the sea...
LostCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:41 PM   #8
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzzza

This I did hear from Damo's mouth.

He was staying with a friend and was pissed off at the architecture of modern buildings and the lack of craftmanship in things like chests and furniture.

Little tidbit that I've never heard anyone mention when telling this story, it was Paul Noonan's old flat in Christchurch. There was a crappy chipboard wardrobe there.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:35 AM   #9
izze
Eskimo Regular

i took it to mean kinda exactly what it sounds like. older chests reveal themselves like a crack in a wall, starting small and grow in time... but thats just my practical view of it. chests start small and grow in time
Old 01-29-2005, 10:45 AM   #10
soda
dutchkimo

in a human chest there is a heart, the older a love grows the easier it
cracks and breaks. put up with small frustrations that grow bigger in
time till they show themselves.......maybe......just a random thought
soda is offline   Reply With Quote