Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-18-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
alumni
Eskimo Regular

Default "Tanks and weapons and guns have always existed, they will always exist"

..And i have nothing against that. My cat goes out and tears a bird to bits, and i save the bird whenever i can, and disagree with what the cat does, but i have nothing against it. I don't like the phrase anti anything, because everything has a place, death is a part of life, im not anti-death. So im not anti-war."

You agree with DAmien? I do.
alumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:18 PM   #2
cille
creepycute

i think he just objected against being labeled as an anti-war dude.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
Bumpman

Guns are only around since the Chinese had a bright idea in 1128AD, and Tanks are Da Vinci's fault methinks. I can see what he's talking about alright... but he's an awful man for the ol' vastly sweeping statements.

Last edited by Bumpman; 04-18-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
alumni
Eskimo Regular

If no guns, would have been no movies.

First camera was changed out of a gun.

Did you know that?

I agree with Damien. He is right. Why campaign for ending war forever? Always going to exist, always have.
alumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
SapnųGeometrija
Eskimo Baby

There are many people for whom guns do not exist. Or have a different expression. Anywayz, I totally agree with D.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:57 PM   #6
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

I am not anti anything that is unavoidable, like death.

But, war is avoidable. If something causes pain and is avoidable, I am anti that.

Cats also are just getting food. We kill cows to get food (though, I don't like the way most are put through for food, and try to buy products where the cow was killed humainly).

BUT

When someone makes fun of you, diagrees with you, or hurts you, you don't need to punch them in the face. You don't need to go into a fight and have people die because of it. We can use words, we can brush it off, we can step back, or even we can step down. We have so many more options that are more peaceful and won't kill anyone else, expecially innocent bystanders who are just there.

So, I am anti-war. War can always be avoidable, in which no one is killed, expcially the innocent. I will always be a pacifist.

You may say, "I'm a dreamer," but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you will join us, and the world will live as one.
Ranting Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:02 AM   #7
Irishman
Eskimo Baby

The sad fact is violence will always be around.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:37 PM
jasonAVO
This message has been deleted by jasonAVO. Reason: because im being cyber stalked by someone and want to get rid of personal stuff
Old 04-19-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

Veal makes me want to cry
Ranting Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:17 AM   #9
Karolina
Eskimo Friend

I didn't know damien's got cat.
Karolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
WhatAmIDarling?
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonAVO
for the most part i agree with you. but sometimes things happen beyond your control...like hitler. when that happens you have a choice: to defend your life or the way of life in your society or to simply die for ideals. well, ideally i wouldnt kill anything to survive. but if it came down to it i would not hesitate to grab the first bird i saw and squeeze its neck.

and ranting...kudos to you for your cow statement. maybe you know already but if not, or for others interested...you can buy meats that are 'freerange'. freerange is where chickens and cows are raised on the prairie. in fields , on the range as they were before we started caging them. its good in a couple ways. one: these animals at least get to enjoy life a bit more. they certainly arent free but they arent in cages their whole life(though far from ideal, its as close as you can get outside of hunting ). two: its better for you. it tastes better and is more healthy. when animals(including us) are stressed they release toxins in the body. stress is very unhealthy and causes damage to the body. when animals are kept in cages it is quite stressful. those toxins are still in the body when we then eat them. its more expensive but worth it. gotta sacrifice some money sometimes for those ideals. or just for better tasting meat.

jason

most mass produced chickens spend their entire life in a cage of one square foot, just enough to fit their bodies into.

I only eat freerange meat. I'm a whole foods hippie.

And I agree with you. I am against the concept of war, but I would rather men like Hitler didn't rule the world. I was watching "The Virgin Queen" on Masterpiece Theatre and as Queen Elizabeth I was just starting to test the waters of ruling a country, she said something like: "I will not send an army across our borders to increase our wealth, or land, or to settle petty arguments; but I will defend those borders till the death."
That was by no means a direct quote. But that's the idea.

And of course politicians pretend that national security is being threatened in order to gather support to go to war, because self-defense seems to almost justify anything. Primal instinct and all. But, as mentioned above, war CAN BE AVOIDED. Yes, war will always exist. But war doesn't always have to happen. I recently found out how much money can be made off of war. Which explains alot. Hasn't anyone read "All Quiet on The Western Front"?