Quote:
Originally Posted by hazey
the Spotless Mind
tut tut tut
I put that in for irony!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #62
samuelle
care bear stare!

i saw Pan's Labyrinth about a week ago and i still haven't formulated a coherent opinion on it yet. if i had to rate it, i would most likely dock some points for the sounds.

i'm highly sensitive to sounds (like listening to people eat cereal in the morning makes me a little crazy), and Pan's Labyrinth is full of horrible, squelching, moist, gritty, creaking, sloppy, oozing sounds that had an impact on me much more than the visuals. the visuals were excellent, but i was too busy squirming in my seat from the noises and trying to catch the nuances of the subtitled text to really take in the full effect.

i think it deserves another viewing before i reach any conclusions. maybe it will come to the cheap theater...
Old 03-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #63
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

^^ I thought it was an absolutely amazing film. Only ended up going to see it because another film was booked out, but I was completely taken aback.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:58 PM   #64
cprolsen
Parent of a lil Eskimo

Ok so I have two movies that I watched recently.

Little Manhattan: (Per IMDB) "In Manhattan, the 10 ¾ years old Gabe (Josh Hutcherson) finds his first love when he meets his former kindergarten mate, the eleven years old Rosemary (Charlie Ray), in his karate classes. Confused with his new feelings and with the divorce process of his beloved parents, Leslie (Cynthia Nixon) and Adam (Bradley Whitford), he experiences the delightful unknown sensation of being in love for the first time. "

This movie was FANTASTIC. My wife and sister rented it and I sat down and watched it with them. It's great for the guys because it reminds you of that first girl you really had a crush on...great great movie. 10/10

Kiss Kiss Bang Bangper IMDB) "In LA, while escaping from the police after an unsuccessful robbery, the small time thief Harry Lockhart is accidentally submitted to an audition for a role of detective in a movie, and invited to a party. He meets the homosexual private eye Gay Perry, who suggests him to participate of an investigation to develop his character. He also meets the gorgeous aspirant actress Harmony Faith Lane, and finds that she was a friend of his childhood for whom he had a crush. Harry and Perry get involved in an intricate murder case with many leads. With the support of Harmony, they find the sordid truth of the case."

Another GREAT movie. This has Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr. It was so much better than I expected it to be and the comedic chemistry between Downey and Kilmer are great, definately worth the time. 9/10

Cheers and enjoy!
cprolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:47 AM   #65
buddy
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprolsen
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
i enjoyed this one, too. i really like robert downey, jr.

buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 04:06 AM   #66
Rovena
what will you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
^^ I thought it was an absolutely amazing film. Only ended up going to see it because another film was booked out, but I was completely taken aback.
I agree 100%. The movie was truly amazing. Beautifully made; a very concrete movie. Good actors, good script, great cinematography...just a beutiful movie altogether. In my opinion, it's one of the best movies of 2006, it's certainly in my top 3. Number one has got to be The Departed. But, then again, I am blantant Scorsese fan, so I might be biased on this one

Rovena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:12 AM   #67
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

i can't wait to see this movie

reign over me

i love don cheadle and i love adam sandler, who knew he could look hot. he could play a young bob dylan
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:39 AM   #68
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i was thinking he kind of looked like syd.. who's that covering the who? such a good song

i recently watched "stranger than fiction" and it's exactly the kind of quirky, whimsical movie that i love.. if it's done right. and this one was done right in my opinion

will ferrel's in it but it's not a "will ferrel" movie and his comedic touch is subtle and perfect for his character, who is a really dry, repressed IRS agent. maggie gyllenhall is beautiful as the anarchist cookie baker and i just love emma thompson in general.. add in dustin hoffman and you have a great cast for starters, but the writing and direction hold their own and the basic plot line is that harold (ferrel) begins to hear someone narrating his life (and thinks he's gone mad) but you soon discover that he's actually a character in karen's (thompson) novel and she's in the process of writing his imminent death into the story..

i really enjoyed it so i'd give it:

SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:36 AM   #69
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

two friends of mine said the same thing, i just don't see it, but that's probably because i'm totally obsessed with him
i also loved stranger than fiction
Old 03-21-2007, 07:46 AM   #70
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

i want to see 300 so badly, in know its a pretty guyish film but i loved sin city and 300 looks soooooooooooo good.

but since im here ill tell you that last samurai is one of my favourite films ever, soundtrack was brilliant, and thats an important factor in a film for me.

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:35 PM   #71
johnnyappleseed
Eskimo Baby

300 was awesome! But im going to put up two old movies that everyone should see Cool Hand Luke and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Great movies
johnnyappleseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:50 PM   #72
samuelle
care bear stare!

i also saw 300 last weekend and it was visually stunning. i was a little wary because it was somewhat boo-hooed for being historically inaccurate and for exacerbating east-west tensions, but i went anyway because i wanted to see comic-book ass-kicking. and it was excellent. the whole movie, and especially the over-gratuitous machismo inherent in the banter between the spartans. critics, listen up: this movie is based on a comic book (graphic novel, whatever), not herodotus. the entire graphic novel, and hence the film, is an over-the-top appreciation of spartan culture - of course the persians are going to be portrayed negatively.

also, i think stranger than fiction is awesome as well, even though i don't generally like will ferrel's movies (his new one with the guy from napoleon dynamite looks especially terrible). one thing, though: i really didn't believe in the relationship between will ferrel and maggie gyllenhall. it wasn't enough to ruin the movie for me - although nothing tops the scene where dustin hoffman's character quizzes will ferrel about all the literary characters he can't be...
Old 04-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #73
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Garden State 6/10

That film was, like, so, like, boring, like, apart from a few subversive humouristic scenes, like. And that one chick, Natalie Portwine, I don't know why, I can't stand her, like, that much, you know. It's her voice and everything. I only liked Peter Saarsgard, like.

Like.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:48 PM   #74
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik
Garden State 6/10

That film was, like, so, like, boring, like, apart from a few subversive humouristic scenes, like. And that one chick, Natalie Portwine, I don't know why, I can't stand her, like, that much, you know. It's her voice and everything. I only liked Peter Saarsgard, like.

Like.
oh i really liked that film! moved me a lot.except, the ending sucked.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:02 PM   #75
samuelle
care bear stare!

i saw reign over me this week. i liked it, even though there were parts that were a little too dramatic or demonstrative. and there were some subplots that i think could have been left out, and the 9/11 connection was so downplayed that i think the movie could have been about any sort of terrible family tragedy and still have worked.

but don cheadle was excellent, as always, and for the most part adam sandler was as well. i really appreciate films that can portray genuine male friendship without turning into a buddy comedy or something of that sort. there's one scene where cheadle and sandler jam to bruce springsteen, for instance, or dozens of scenes of video gaming or movie watching that end up really being captivating.

7.5/10
Old 04-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #76
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

just watched the layer cake there and really enjoyed it. I actually would have enjoyed watching it for another 2 hours if the storyline went on. Excellently shot & a very clever storyline that always keeps people guessing

Daniel Craig is great in it. actually the first film ive seen him in. A very straight actor but pulls it off well. Also any film with colm meaney is always worth watching if only for his bits.

All in all id recommend it if you're into gang subplot films based in london

9/10

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #77
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

la môme

i love edith piaf and i can't wait to see this move
Old 05-18-2007, 10:11 PM   #78
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelle
i'm highly sensitive to sounds (like listening to people eat cereal in the morning makes me a little crazy), and Pan's Labyrinth is full of horrible, squelching, moist, gritty, creaking, sloppy, oozing sounds that had an impact on me much more than the visuals. the visuals were excellent, but i was too busy squirming in my seat from the noises and trying to catch the nuances of the subtitled text to really take in the full effect.
well the whole idea behind pan's labyrinth is the contrast between beauty and ugliness, that's why some of the scenes are really gruesome. the use of those sounds is just another way to express that. i really loved that movie, just got the dvd

it actually reminded me of another movie that's visually repulsive yet remarkably beautiful at the same time, begotten. it's one of those movies that will stuck in your mind for a long time

Old 05-18-2007, 10:51 PM   #79
Topspin047
tennis pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik
Garden State 6/10

Like.

wow..Garden State is my favorite movie ever...right behind Lord of the rings of course.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #80
Timeé
Intello

28 Weeks Later.

excellente.

deich as deich. 10/10
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #81
samuelle
care bear stare!

hot fuzz. (from the shaun of the dead crew). absolutely hilarious and wonderful. i used to watch these types of movies with my dad when i was younger, so the satire was fantastic.

9/10
Old 05-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #82
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
28 Weeks Later.

excellente.

deich as deich. 10/10
i wouldnt give it a full thumbs up but it was a brilliant sequal which is usually hard to find. i unfortunately was sitting beside giggling and squirmish girls so every sudden impact was a massive scream. and the usual "KILL THE FOCKER"
was blurted out. but apart from that it was really enjoyable

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:20 PM   #83
tuckatangent
Eskimo Regular

Just saw Pan's Labyrinth last night. Stunning visual achievement, and a great story too. It made my dad, my mom, and my stepdad cry. I got teary myself.

I also really love Kiss Kiss Bang, I saw that last night. The chemistry b/w Val and Downey Jr. is indeed fabulous, and the crazy voiceovers just make the film so much fun.

I also just saw The Last Picture Show for the first time. Very depressing, but very good. I want to read the book now.
tuckatangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:58 PM   #84
Rue Saint-Denis
Eskimo Ghost

Paradise Now: 8/10

It shows another perspective to the situation between Israel and Palestine. One that you would not typically hear in the U.S because we support Israel. I'd rather not discuss my opinion concerning the justification of Israel's actions because I don't want to start any arguments. It's a good film, it's different, spoken Arabic.

I would definitely recommend this movie if you are into politics, history, and/or are willing to consider another perspective about a topic that is affecting us right now.
Rue Saint-Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:48 AM   #85
unspokenxtruth
vegetarian eskimo

oo..if anyone is ever in the mood for an indie film..with a strong message and sad story to it...i would suggest Mean Creek....ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT
Old 06-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #86
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

If anyone's in the mood for a slightly frivolous made-for-summer movie... Knocked Up was fantastic! It's one of those movies where it's just impossible to not laugh out loud

There was a great review in the New York Times of the movie that was completely spot-on.

And I second the Paradise Now recommendation - I thought it was really well done, and it's definitely a perspective you don't see often.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #87
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate
i wouldnt give it a full thumbs up but it was a brilliant sequal which is usually hard to find. i unfortunately was sitting beside giggling and squirmish girls so every sudden impact was a massive scream. and the usual "KILL THE FOCKER"
was blurted out. but apart from that it was really enjoyable
a bad audience can ruin a film for me.

i wouldnt give it a full thumbs up in hindsight though.

did you like the music? the first ones soundtrack is quality. if ya like angry horror music and merry-go-round sounds.
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:41 AM   #88
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

I just tinkered something for fun.

Meet Captain Jack Stauffenberg:

Jerry Bruckheimer presents: "The curse of Valkyrie - Fuehrer's dead chest"
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #89
Tinkabell74
Eskimo Regular

the last two movies i saw were: "die hard 4.0" and the latest harry potter. i like both of them.

here my points:
die hard: 4/5
harry: 5/5
Tinkabell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:54 PM   #90
jonnycrouch
Eskimo, baby

Transformers was awesome- although I wouldn't recommend it if you want sophisticated development of characters, a skillfully written script, and a partially credible story line. Still, transforming robots kick ass something chronic.

Harry potter was also pretty good, the first in the series to be better than the book (which dragged on several hundred pages more than it had to), and sets the scene wonderfully for the next two films, which should be pretty awesome.

In regards to dvds I watched recently... sideways was really very good and I would fully recommend it whether you know anything about wine or not, its up in my "all time top five", displacing the matrix trilogy (they count as one, by the way).
jonnycrouch is offline   Reply With Quote