Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

Default Top 4 contestant on American Idol did Volcano...

A dude called Phillip Phillips (amazing name) did Volcano in a 'Songs you wish you wrote' round on American Idol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IRvCpYXrrs

I actually quite like this guy, better than Little Mix doing Cannonball anyway...and it looks like he stole Damien's jacket!
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Canadian Island
Eskimo Regular

Boy, put the guitar down! It's not a broom! Bugs me that he's holding the guitar in this '45 degree angle. I see that a lot these days and it just looks so silly. Apart from that it bugs me that I clicked a link to an idol show. But honestly, I just did it for the jacket.
Canadian Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

just watched!!! don't think he's bad at all, kinda like his voice, of course he lacked emotion but at least he's better than Little Mix covering Cannonball

too funny they dressed him with the Damo jacket pity they forgot the patchwork shirt!!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

he did The Stone by Dave Matthews, that was better I thought

yeah they missed a trick there, should've gone for the patchwork!
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
ishoutedmyjoy
Eskimo Baby

hes from where i live now!
ishoutedmyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

I agree Marti.........I thought it was a very good effort

lol on the jacket!
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna View Post
A dude called Phillip Phillips (amazing name) did Volcano in a 'Songs you wish you wrote' round on American Idol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IRvCpYXrrs

I actually quite like this guy, better than Little Mix doing Cannonball anyway...and it looks like he stole Damien's jacket!
this song is going 'Viral' kinda like Cannonball since it was on American idol...perhaps Damien will make another 500k and gain more fans
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #8
utslb56
Eskimo Baby

Both album 'O' and 'Volcano' single are top 40 in US iTunes charts. It seems a bunch of folks in the States are discovering Damien and his music. About damn time!
utslb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Yep, just came on to say that. Was browsing top downloads and O is at #24 and Volcano is at #30 on the singles chart.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

surprised it's done so well cos in the US, all those Idol/Voice covers usually have zero effect (unlike in the UK)... so must have had a real impression on the audience watching!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i think the cover is quite good... and also the song... it´s just amazing!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight View Post
Yep, just came on to say that. Was browsing top downloads and O is at #24 and Volcano is at #30 on the singles chart.
Between volcano and cannonball, its like Damien has achieved worldwide successs posthumously...nonetheless, he is bigger now than he was even after the release of 9 as these TV shows seem pretty darm popular
Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

EM, reports of his death are greatly exaggerated and hopefully more than a little premature.

Hmm. I saw it when it first aired and of course I'm thrilled it introduced tons of US folks to Damo and his music but Phillip squared really has no business being a finalist in any singing competition. The people who have been eliminated prior to now were just in a whole other level of vocal ability and it disgusts me to see a dude who has at best about 6 notes he can hit, growl/talk his way through mainly just because gals/gays think he's hot, It's the shame of Sanjaya all over again.

Hopefully, the stunningly creative and passionate Josh will be the winner because I'm also not happy with how blatant the judge bias is this season to cram the no-personality/phony emotion Jessica down America's throat even after they've rightly voted to already eliminate her.

Last edited by Spamlet; 05-15-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I didn't watch this week but I've been told that they played Volcano (the original Damo one from O) during a part of the show in which they showed this Phillip Phillips guy going home

after being played last week, Volcano was #70 on the Digital Chart, despite being released mid-week... O also re-enters the Billboard Albums at #187... not that super big effect but still...
Old 05-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #15
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Billboard published total sales of O to date:

Damien Rice, O: 812,079 copies
Old 05-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #16
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Really surprised to hear it's still under a million world-wide.

BTW, Idol has now lost any remaining shred of credibility to me since PP gets to continue on yet Joshua Ledet one of the most insanely gifted singers I've ever heard (and all the judges said the same) was eliminated. Shows like The Sing-Off, X-Factor and The Voice all crowned people whose abilities really couldn't be argued against even by those who might have personally favored someone else since the quality of their top choices were so high.

As tribute to the lately, dear departed (Robin Gibb and Josh) while also on topic by way of Idol contestant Damo cover (of a cover) check out what the breathtakingly talented young man did with a Bee Gees song he didn't even know the ending gives me spine tingles every single time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkJ1e11VA_A
Old 05-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #17
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

oh my the guy just won!!!! sure it's cos of the catchiness of his name, Phillip Phillips... and covering Volcano is not a bad thing... plus he also kinda copied Damo's dressing code (except the infamous patchwork shirt, which is of course unique and un-copiable)!!!!!!

I see Philip Philips cover of Volcano is #28 on US Itunes!!! help!!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #18
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Volcano #16 on Itunes now the Phillip Phillips version, not Damiens...
Old 05-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #19
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
Volcano #16 on Itunes now the Phillip Phillips version, not Damiens...
Damiens Volcano video on Youtube is getting a couple hundred thousand hits per day..perhaps less than the american Idol version but Damien will have many new fans thanks to this phillips guy
Old 05-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #20
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

I fuuking hate Idol fans. Their taste in music is retarded. Under the comments on iTunes the most popular were that this was the "best rendition of the song" or "way better than the original" or "better than any studio version I've heard" and worst of all "he made it sooo original, Dave Matthews must be jealous." Fuuck me!

And now the cover is in the top ten! Fuuck that Shiit! Kill it. Kill it with fuucking fire!

Kill J.Lo too. Just for fun though.

"This has got to die" -Damien Rice, when asked of his thoughts about his songs' recent talent show success
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #21
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet View Post
Really surprised to hear it's still under a million world-wide.

BTW, Idol has now lost any remaining shred of credibility to me since PP gets to continue on yet Joshua Ledet one of the most insanely gifted singers I've ever heard (and all the judges said the same) was eliminated. Shows like The Sing-Off, X-Factor and The Voice all crowned people whose abilities really couldn't be argued against even by those who might have personally favored someone else since the quality of their top choices were so high.

As tribute to the lately, dear departed (Robin Gibb and Josh) while also on topic by way of Idol contestant Damo cover (of a cover) check out what the breathtakingly talented young man did with a Bee Gees song he didn't even know the ending gives me spine tingles every single time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkJ1e11VA_A
no,no, those sales are in the US!! He's over 1 million in the UK alone!!

To be honest, this Joshua had a great voice, but for me, his mannerisms made him unwatchable... I didn't find him likeable at all... he does these weird things on stage ala Fantasia that don't work for a guy... so I do understand why he was voted off... not saying Phillip Phillips was much better... well, rather PP than the Jessica girl pretending to be Whitney!!