Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 05-31-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Default Damien Duet w/ Maria Doyle kennedy

I believe their was a thread on this before , but here is a link to the new song...I dontknow what to say about it....just time wasting IMO but only listened once

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/mariadk
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

rings of this ****e...........

http://www.amandapalmer.net/

the fact that she has raised $1m for her new album makes her a great marketer.........nothing to do with if she is anything of an artist

sad state of affairs
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Not really the point.. but why a sad state of affairs? She is trying to independently mix, package, promote and sell her music without the financial backing of a major label. Some people believe in her as an artist enough to invest in the project. What's your problem with that?

Back to the point though.. I was interested in hearing this when I heard about their collaboration awhile back, thanks for posting ElephantMan! It's a pretty song, it was nice to hear.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I also think Pledge is an amazing thing, so that little artists can make a record without depending on a record label. There's lots of super talented artists out there that don't fit a record label cos they're not glamourous enough or don't fit in the box, and then Pledge is a nice alternative... I see many artists that are dropped from their record labels doing it... for instance, Rachael Yamagata did it... she's the most talented artist in the world but still her label dropped her cos she doesn't sell...

don't see a problem with fans paying in advance what they're gonna get later
Old 05-31-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

She's also presenting the record live in Dublin in September, that was in the news a while ago...
Old 05-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

it's an ok song. the chorus is a bit repetitive, though. I can't help but think about Shirley's part:

Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight View Post
Back to the point though.. I was interested in hearing this when I heard about their collaboration awhile back, thanks for posting ElephantMan! It's a pretty song, it was nice to hear.

same here! i think she has a beautiful voice.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight View Post
Not really the point.. but why a sad state of affairs? She is trying to independently mix, package, promote and sell her music without the financial backing of a major label. Some people believe in her as an artist enough to invest in the project. What's your problem with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
I also think Pledge is an amazing thing, so that little artists can make a record without depending on a record label. There's lots of super talented artists out there that don't fit a record label cos they're not glamourous enough or don't fit in the box, and then Pledge is a nice alternative... I see many artists that are dropped from their record labels doing it... for instance, Rachael Yamagata did it... she's the most talented artist in the world but still her label dropped her cos she doesn't sell...

don't see a problem with fans paying in advance what they're gonna get later
that is exactly the point...............the sad state of affairs is that unless you are some bs pop artist du jour you don't make it in this stupid business...............which forces artists to do things like this pledge stuff

what that in turn does however is it puts the whole emphasis of the artist to be a clever marketer - not simply performing her art.................so those that rise to the top are not again necessarily artists that are getting rewarded for their true art but those that have figured out a way to cleverly market themselves

while sure it gives some the opportunity to not ahve to suck up to the man or the system it still is an odd manifestation of where the business exists today..........something that for me simply smells bad
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex View Post
that is exactly the point...............the sad state of affairs is that unless you are some bs pop artist du jour you don't make it in this stupid business...............which forces artists to do things like this pledge stuff

what that in turn does however is it puts the whole emphasis of the artist to be a clever marketer - not simply performing her art.................so those that rise to the top are not again necessarily artists that are getting rewarded for their true art but those that have figured out a way to cleverly market themselves

while sure it gives some the opportunity to not ahve to suck up to the man or the system it still is an odd manifestation of where the business exists today..........something that for me simply smells bad

^agree
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #10
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

MARIA SINGS SING THE ALBUM WITH SPECIAL GUESTS AT VICAR STREET DUBLIN IRELAND SEPT 29TH (from her FB)