Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 06:01 PM   #31
hannahjane
Eskimo Friend

Hmm...I came here I enjoyed the forum for all of a few days, I offered my opinions on it, caused some huge backlash (why?!) and so, am promptly leaving. I'm sure you'll all be ecstatic. It's a shame because I ****ing love Damien Rice, and think he is a bloody legend, and to be honest, you guys have put me off him a bit with this whole "ooh...the forum is a bonding place..." blah blah. And, I am aware I'm being rude and obnoxius now, but isn't everyone when they become a little pissed off? I think if anyone's showing unprecedented amounts of arrogants its the 'top dogs' on this site, who seem to think they know all about damo....(and why are we allowed to discuss damien's relationship with 'The Blower's Daughter' - is that not a personal aspect of his life?!).

Emmett, you seem to have stated that I said I do not like the running of the forum - I DID NOT SAY THAT!!!!!!!!! I said it could do with a little more organisation!! I praised the ****ing site for god's sake!! I respect and admire your site and dedication towards it; though I think you took my comments to heart. And I did not turn up, register and tell anyone how the site should be run as someone else said! It's infuriating that my words are being twisted and distorted in such a manner; read my original post!!!!

Snowbaby, SisterMidnight, crackpotcuckoo, ZachC and Ameraldo! - you guys seem to be the cream of the eskimo crop. I wish you all well in whatever you do; in my short time here, you are the ones I feel I could have gotten to know better, and enjoyed the friendship of.

Really though, I feel people are taking the forum a little serious...it shouldn't be the central area of someone's social life!! Whatever, I liked being here, I LIKED the forum (just felt it could have been improved - like most things!!), I can honestly say I shall not miss being here, but it is a pity to leave so soon on the basis of this whole silly thing.

Emmet, I admire your site, and I admire the diligence you put in to maintaining it. Keep it up!! (That's NOT an order!!)
Old 03-13-2005, 06:10 PM   #32
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Bye so.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:18 PM   #33
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

well i typed out a long, well thought out response but had been logged out of the forum somehow so its gone. i'm not going to go to the bother of typing it again because i don't think it would do any good anyway. guess i better shut my mouth before i get banned for stating my opinion too...
Old 03-13-2005, 06:32 PM   #34
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

HannahJane I think it would be a shame if you left. People here a good people. There are occassional spats, but they are very rare and quickly forgotten. I agree with Emmett... that I disagree with your opinions, but do not hold any malace towards you.

Sistermidnight... I'm surprised by a number of your comments...

But hey, let's let this thread die... accept the rule... and enjoy the music!

Old 03-13-2005, 06:35 PM   #35
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Mario... those of us who have been here a long time will remember the awful things that you spout... Emmett doesn't ban people lightly.

You don't like it here... so why not just leave us in peace?

Old 03-13-2005, 06:43 PM   #36
mariodi
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
Mario... those of us who have been here a long time will remember the awful things that you spout... Emmett doesn't ban people lightly.

You don't like it here... so why not just leave us in peace?
1) What are you talking about??
2) I already have said, in this specific thread, that I hardly ever post here, and then always in the Trading section. But when the opportunity arises to fix this place, (which is what occurred when Emmett created a thread to discuss this issue which you now don't want to discuss) Just like when I compelled Emmett to open a trading forum and ran it unofficially until I got damienricetrading.org up and running, I always take that opportunity to try to improve this site, in the hopes that some day all of us who avoid this place can come back and have intelligent discussions.

Now, we have to have our discussions privately, and without sharing our knowledge with the rest of the community. Which is a shame.

Last edited by mariodi; 03-13-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:47 PM   #37
Bumpman

Look, at the end of the day we're talking about the private life of a human being here, someone who has opened his chest in music, and asked for privacy outside of music. I know that if i were in the same position i wouldn't like to have the details of my life splashed all over a forum on the internet just because the daily tabloids don't have anything better to write about.

The fact is that the band do read the forum regularly, and it being recommended on radio by damien, or pumped for opinions by tomo, is a result of the fact the up until now, no-one has felt the need to intrude in damien's private life.

Not to mention that our right to free opinion is a condition of not breaching anyone else's right to privacy, if anyone dosen't agree with me on this last point, then read article 8 (part 1) & article 10 (part 1 & 2) here: http://www.hri.org/docs/ECHR50.html

Last edited by Bumpman; 03-13-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:24 PM   #38
administrator
forum administrator

sistermidnight, what have i done to make you so angry? i have never ever banned anyone for just stating their opinion! why do you think i would? you keep insulting me but not telling me why. and nobody logged you out of the forum except you.

mario was banned over a year ago for posting horribly disgusting and offensive things and for offending board members. the only reason he was able to post again was because when we upgraded to to a new forum, it didn't remember who was banned on the previous one.

hannahjane, you did say you didn't like the running of the forum... "it's not all that impressive. It's not really managed is it?" that's why i said it's the best i can do. anyway, sorry you feel the need to go. bye

Old 03-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #39
rosey
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
well i typed out a long, well thought out response but had been logged out of the forum somehow so its gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett
nobody logged you out of the forum except you
That happened to me to the other day ....I think it's a case of being timed-out
Old 03-13-2005, 07:57 PM   #40
*Killian*
If Carlsberg Did Eskimos

just want to say, i too am surprised by some peoples comments here

i think emmett does a great job, he doesnt enforce his authority unless specifically required

i dont think damien, or any igloo members should have personal things posted about them, and emmett has done a great job in regulating this

as wheels said, the are rules here, in my opinion you should just respect them or leave

and let this thread die....its causing too much bad vibes
Old 03-13-2005, 08:15 PM   #41
mariod
Eskimo Baby

Emmett, you can pretend I don't exist and speak only in the third person of me, but it only makes you look as little and petty as you are.

However, I will not let you post slanderous things about me. I never said anything vulgar or insulting to anyone. You took offense to your naieve little belief system being destroyed when I pointed to credible news agencies (including CNN) which stated that the circumstances of Rachel Corrie's death have been exaggerated and falsified by the organization she was working for, an organization with ties to terrorists like Hezbollah.

You can continue to close accounts, but I have three different computers I use daily, each with dynamic IPs, so save yourself the trouble, because I will continue to register everytime you do it.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:29 PM   #42
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

Emmett, can you please close this thread? its just causing too much insulting and hurting of ppls feelings, I feel there is too much hate(too strong a word i think but i cant think of one that does the trick) directed towards you.

Just close the thread, its getting too ugly
Old 03-13-2005, 08:32 PM   #43
*Killian*
If Carlsberg Did Eskimos

yes miss pink, i couldnt have said it better, close it
Old 03-13-2005, 09:16 PM   #44
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
Huh? My mom told me that the other day.
Actually, having been there, I can tell you that Wheels is right. Renee didn't come with a date.

I appreciate that Emmett is willing to take all of this crap from people like Mario and HannahJane in order to maintain the civility of this forum. Gossip about Damien somewhere else - no one is stopping you. Of course these thoughts cross everyone's minds, but indulging them, especially online, just results in more rumors spreading until the rumors are accepted as fact.

I *heart* Emmett and this forum
Old 03-13-2005, 09:46 PM   #45
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl

I *heart* Emmett and this forum
I do too. And I've spoken with Emmett privately on the matter and cleared up some misunderstandings... hopefully that one most of all...

Don't stress about it Emmett. We all love it here even if we moan or disagree sometimes or we wouldn't visit so often. I think a vacation is well-deserved, somewhere warm and tropical with no sign of eskimos for awhile
Old 03-13-2005, 09:48 PM   #46
hannahjane
Eskimo Friend

hannahjane, you did say you didn't like the running of the forum... "it's not all that impressive. It's not really managed is it?" that's why i said it's the best i can do

Emmett, you've apparently quoted me saying that I didn't like the forum! What you've quoted me as saying (as is blatantly obvious above) is: "...It's not all that impressive. It's not really managed is it?". During no point in that sentence have I said: "I do not like the forum!!!!!" Thus, I reinforce my point I DO LIKE THE FORUM!! I never, at any stage of the game, said I didn't. I was pointing out that it could be a little more managed - I didn't condone you for it not being as managed as that! I didn't say: "Emmett, your forum's crap, manage it more!" - coz its not, and its not my place!

You've taken criticism to heart, which - believe me! - is not wise. To be honest, you've brought this thing on yourself by being too defensive; I have nothing against you whatsoever! I've said, god knows, a trillion times I think eskimofriends.com is a great site...just the forum is not of a great standard....(that is the extent of my opinion, nothing more...)
Old 03-13-2005, 10:00 PM   #47
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

oh my god! seriously............

ok i'm not gonna say anything but....hannahjane......urg urg urg......URG!

U have no idea how much it was trouble getting the new forum started time wise and money wise!!! dont come on here and start ranting! its not like emmett sits behind the screen all day on a chair made of money and does forum stuff all day!

URG!
Old 03-13-2005, 11:01 PM   #48
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahjane
You've taken criticism to heart, which - believe me! - is not wise. To be honest, you've brought this thing on yourself by being too defensive;
Can you please go elsewhere?
Old 03-13-2005, 11:05 PM   #49
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahjane
You've taken criticism to heart, which - believe me! - is not wise. To be honest, you've brought this thing on yourself by being too defensive; I have nothing against you whatsoever! I've said, god knows, a trillion times I think eskimofriends.com is a great site...just the forum is not of a great standard....(that is the extent of my opinion, nothing more...)
Between the 14th and 28th of february, the forum was down due to it's size. Which meant that emmett not only had to pay for new software to support the forum, but also had the pleasure of 2 sleepless weeks trying to get the new software online, and moving all the information from the last forum to the new one... (which isn't as easy as copy and paste). So considering the work that has been put into the site in the last month, it's just the wrong time for criticism, despite how constructive or well meaning it may be.

Before the previous forum software was taken offline, there were stickyposts outlining guidelines for posting on the forum, essentially these said don't try to hurt people through what you post on the forum, and don't post anything explicitly personal about the band or anyone else... What i'm trying to say is that the policies on the forum are few and far between, but they've always been there, for the simple reason that it's wrong to talk about someone's personal life if they ask that you don't, and damien prefers that we dont.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:27 PM
<Mario>
This message has been deleted by emmettu2.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:45 PM   #50
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

id give an opinion but i see little point as people have different beliefs...
i will only add that damien is a very private person and im disgusted at times to see what people post about him... i think there should be censorship on that matter

as for mario... i agree with some of what you say but the world can live without you trading every damien show... it doesnt bother me... create your own website and trade with them there is the solution

i used to love this messageboard but over time ive grown to dislike it alot... not for the way its run but the sheer messyness and pointlessness of threads... i started a topic a long while ago about the amount of drivel and meaningless posts started on here and also how they go off topic and into little cliques people have made... thats what the pm is for... i think more moderation is needed to direct people to questions already asked as it gets frustrating to see it posted 3 times in the same month

close this thread cause its a headache and it wont be resolved without being getting irritated and throwing insults to each other

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic

Last edited by Gatsby; 03-13-2005 at 11:48 PM.
Closed Thread