Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 02-04-2004, 09:21 PM   #1
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

I dont know if it worked for the monday night with unreserved seating but it certainley didnt on the tuesday night... i think standing should be only for rock concerts etc. when u can talk and not drown out the sound of the artist on stage... also tall people cant come and stand directly in front of u (no offence daragh[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img])
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 02:38 AM   #2
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

None taken.

I'd agree with you about the seating thing though. I was there with two mates, one 6'5" and the other 6'2". So we kind created a wall of "back", and there was nobody standing directly behind us. We moved closer to the back for that reason. Anyway, being this tall i get back pains from standing that long anyway..

Would seating prevent the heckling though? Thats the main problem at the gigs lately, and its getting worse with his growing popularity. </font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 06:20 AM   #3
Alistair
Eskimo Regular

I've only ever been seated for one concert, and that was radiohead where i'd probably rather have been standing. But for people like damien i think i might prefer seated, but they'd have to pre-allocated and not a free for all i think, so that booking ahead was a major advantage and you didn't have to queue on the door for days in advance. :]

not sure if seating would prevent heckling, although (most) people tend to be able to sit quietly watching a movie for 2-3 hours so i don't see why it shouldn't happen at a gig.

Also i suppose there could be a problem of the capacity of the gig being reduced :/
Alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 06:22 AM   #4
marina
Eskimo Regular

ya my feet were killing me by the end of the night
Old 02-05-2004, 06:56 AM   #5
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

His next tour will be with the new ROCKING album... I think lepping about like an eejit will be required and hecklers won't be heard over the twisted distorted guitar and crashing drums! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 06:58 AM   #6
katinka
Eskimo Regular

i really can't sit still on damo's music. just can't. so sitting would be stupid for me. and i wanna dance and rock on numbers like woman like a man!
katinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 07:35 AM   #7
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

If its like December and I can nab a front row seat then yes. If not and I have to use my massive bulk to get to the front then no.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:46 AM   #8
Louise
Eskimo Regular

I think monday when it was seated was good, because people were a little calmer but at the same time it was like an invitation for hecklers because they could be clearly heard. Also singing along was a little scary becuase you could hear yourself so clearly. Tuesday was good for singing along because when you're all closer together you can hear more than just yourself, but it also makes people a little more rowdy. Its a bloody tough call. And I can also relate to katinka-it is hard to be sitting sometimes. Yeah so I guess nothing I've said is very constructive.

Ah well. Maybe next time. [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 08:15 AM   #9
neiller
Eskimo Regular

tough one to call, i reckon seating for a venue like vicar st. standing if its much smaller.

depending on the next album, might be neccessary to have them all standing, with a mosh pit and everything!
Old 02-05-2004, 01:12 PM   #10
Bumpman

perhaps thats why they did one standing night and one seating...
Old 02-05-2004, 01:26 PM   #11
fondusquirrel
Eskimo Baby

At bd new tears gig in 2002, there was seating with the option of standin and it was a good buzz. I agree with yez tho sumtin has got 2b done bout those hecklers! I mean, are they fans r wot?
Old 02-05-2004, 01:39 PM   #12
Tatevik
Eskimo Regular

I think seated gigs are brilliant! When i saw Damien in U.L concert hall it was f**king amazing! I suppose you could always stand up if a rock on song came on and get everyone else up!
Tatevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 01:43 PM   #13
fondusquirrel
Eskimo Baby

Hey Limerick person wz I talkin 2 yez at d gig on tuesday? It's Eoin from Drogheda here!
Old 02-05-2004, 02:07 PM   #14
Tatevik
Eskimo Regular

Oh hey eoin! Ya tis me Tata (u couldnt pronounce my name) Welcome to the eskimo board! Did ye have a good night?
Tatevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 02:45 PM   #15
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

im just remembering the December 2002 gigs in the olympia and how f**kin amazingly special they were...

last tuesday was a good gig but i was never blown away, i think that was down to Damiens responce to the crowd and the arseholes that live in this country... i dont mind standing but i dont think ive ever really enjoyed a gig in vicar street...
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 03:03 PM   #16
qsysue
Eskimo Baby

He's playing a theater here in Seattle, sometimes they'll take the lower floor seats out but leave the balcony intact, I'm not sure what the plan is for his show.

I'd much rather be seated, but then I'm too old to be standing for hours. If there's no seats, I have to be right up against the stage, not only because I'm old and tired, but also because I'm too short to see over anyone. And somehow I'm a magnet for tall guys...they always crowd right in front of me, if I'm not against the stage.
qsysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:03 PM   #17
Trident
Eskimo Baby

I've always lurked but I gotta say seating is for dorks! It's a good way of seperating people by income and plays right into Ticketbastards evil plans of legally auctioning off the good seats to the highest bidder. GA insures that most likely the people closest to the stage are the ones who really wanted to be there by showing up early, not by the cash in the wallet.

If your feet hurt take a freaking advil and quit whining. Come on folks, this is rock and roll, not a Barbara Streisand concert... Jeez...
Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:05 PM   #18
neiller
Eskimo Regular

you should really find out more about something before calling people dorks (what the f**k is that word about anyway???)

seperating people by income??

vicar st is unreserved seating which means that the people SITTING at the front do so because they got there first!

so ha, you dork!
Old 02-05-2004, 05:09 PM   #19
Trident
Eskimo Baby

I was referring to US gigs. From the sounds of the reviews that seems where its at anyway... Vicar st. seems a tad overrated and starving for a little respect.
Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:16 PM   #20
neiller
Eskimo Regular

nah vicar st is well cool venue, great sound out of it wether its a loud rock band or something a little more soothing!
Old 02-05-2004, 06:12 PM   #21
digsy
Eskimo Regular

fair enough some people didnt think the gigs were as good as usual but this is getting stupid now. first damo was getting blamed for being quite and not being his usual self, then the crowd were getting blamed, then the question of whether his gigs should never be standing again, now vicar st is getting abuse. people should just chill out. dont know about tues but monday was still deadly, maybe not quite as good as past performances but damo's at a kind of transitional period where people are expecting new stuff soon and even he must be getting a little bit bored with playing the old songs at this stage after all concerts in the US and everywhere else lately. theres no doubt he'll be back at vicar st some day and be just as good as ever
digsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 06:23 PM   #22
miselegra
Eskimo Regular

i agree with tata, the u.l. gig was simply klass, ya couldnt say a thing bad about it! twas all reserved seatin, twas beautiful because the crowd was so into his performance that he could actually stand up and sing a song with just his guitar! definitely no sad ass comments shouted! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2004, 06:57 PM   #23
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

galway tonight was seated. unreserved. some on the ground. vrey vrey nice atmosphere
Old 02-06-2004, 04:00 PM   #24
endgame
Eskimo Baby

I have to admit that I thought Vicar St on Monday was absolutely fantastic. I know there was a few people who heckled a bit but i thought that overall the crowd were really into his music. Just remember when TheBlower's Daughter was played and the crowd sang along. In such a setting it was an amazing moment that i just sat back and enjoyed. So I would definitely say seating enhanced the gig.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:06 PM   #25
miselegra
Eskimo Regular

we had our moment on tues nite 2, fair enough we didnt get blowers daughters but i loved cold water! magic! even if there was witches laughin near the end! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2004, 02:11 PM   #26
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Cold water was orgasmic at Galway.........I want more Damo!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2004, 04:13 PM   #27
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Wow ..sounds wonderful,you can't do much better than orgasmic[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] Edited by: jbalogh

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 04:28 PM   #28
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

Yes you can! In French you have the word "jouissif" which is perhaps even better than orgasmic.

The fresh strawberry icecream of the seaside restaurant we go to everysummer is definitely "jouissif".
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:48 PM   #29
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Must try some of this ice cream,sounds good![img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2004, 05:31 AM   #30
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

the damien gig in galway was orgasmicly jouissif!!