Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #301
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
I Then, everything else would simply be a bonus.
Good point Rai~ But he could just travel with backup singers. Like they have when entertainers need someone for harmonies. So see, she is the bonus.

Not replacable really, more like anyome could sing the harmonies as long as I still get to hear Damiens voice most. He is who I pay to see. Seeing her and Vyv is a kickass perk!
(Vyv Lisa )

http://www.myspace.com/5859320
MacrossGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:23 PM   #302
olive31
French Eskimo

No Lisa in Oslo tonight.
Damien started the gig with 9 crimes...
olive31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:38 PM   #303
Mojo_Pin1980
Eskimo Regular

I remember the first time I saw Damien. It was just the guys. Awesome gig!! Still one of the most watched gigs on fabchannel.com.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:40 PM   #304
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13086
how do you know how many people in the US are trying to get refunds? that to me is an insane comment.
They are not trying to get a refund, they are talking about selling the tickets they already bought.

Go to any other music message board and ask the question. I, personally, thought Lisa's presence held the band back. But the fact is, the vast majority of people are much less interested in seeing a show if she isn't there.

And the fact that, a week later, this is still no less of a mystery, is absolutely ridiculous.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:55 PM   #305
beatleboogie
Eskimo Friend

Setlist and stuff in the Gigs-section, Oslo-thread.
Tonights show rocked!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:56 PM   #306
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
And the fact that, a week later, this is still no less of a mystery, is absolutely ridiculous.
Well I'm sure they have a vested interest in not announcing it, with the UK stadium tour coming up, plus trying to sell 17,000 tickets in Ireland.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:34 AM   #307
Heretic At Large
Eskimo Contextualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
Well I'm sure they have a vested interest in not announcing it, with the UK stadium tour coming up, plus trying to sell 17,000 tickets in Ireland.
good to know they care more about selling tickets than letting their fans know an integral part of the music won't be there... this is supposed to be about the music, not the music business
Heretic At Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:45 AM   #308
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

dont think they announced lisa wouldnt be at the fiona apple tour until after tix went on sale. and a week isnt a long time not to say anything, we're not even sure if she even quit the band she may just need some time; coming out right away and making an official announcement that she quit the band may be a bad thing because the decision might have not been well thought out after all they were playing together 2 hours before the munich show.
Five Leaves Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:19 AM   #309
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Arrow Something to dull the fire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic At Large
good to know they care more about selling tickets than letting their fans know an integral part of the music won't be there... this is supposed to be about the music, not the music business

Okay first of all, calm down. There's no need to respond so negatively about something that you have absolutely no idea about. And after all the love you've expressed for Damien and his music so far, how are you so easily persuaded by such an insane assumption? The guy refrains from signing autographs or taking pictures in order to keep his image normal, left his former band and a major record deal when he realized no one saw him eye-to-eye, and now he's desperate for ticket sales? Come on...

Secondly, with all this in mind, I think it's obvious that this thread is filled with a lot of nonsense and I completely agree with the idea that after a week later, this is still no less of a mystery. So it is best that we fill this thread with relative information whenever someone finds something to dull the fire. And I would like to take this time to thank 'BeatleBoogie' who posted a comment in the 'Gigs' section stating the following after she saw Damien @ the Oslo show:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatleboogie
I'll just add that a little bird whispered to us that Lisa is happy. And another little bird said she'd be back - but the choice of words left not much hope that this meant back with Damo. I hope I'm wrong.
Or that the birds were mockingbirds...
Now the real question is, how credible are all these sources? Hendrik has a friend who knows a friend who is close friends with Damien , BeatleBoogie has an inside connection and I'm guessing the "little birds" are probably friends of friends that know friends, etc. Thank you for bringing this information to us but if you can, please clarify how credible your sources really are. As of now, all we're doing is going off of YOUR word. And as history has shown us many times before, the word of man is often fallible at best.

Last edited by Valentino; 03-24-2007 at 05:18 AM.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:29 AM   #310
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
So you agree that this whole situation is very disingenuous for the purpose of, essentially, bait and switch on ticketbuyers who don't realize Lisa hasn't been at the last week's worth of shows?

And you don't have a problem with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Leaves Left
dont think they announced lisa wouldnt be at the fiona apple tour until after tix went on sale. and a week isnt a long time not to say anything, we're not even sure if she even quit the band she may just need some time; coming out right away and making an official announcement that she quit the band may be a bad thing because the decision might have not been well thought out after all they were playing together 2 hours before the munich show.
They don't have to say "Lisa is gone forever". What they ought to have said by now is:

"For private reasons, Lisa is not currently touring with Damien Rice. When the situation becomes more clear, or changes, we will make a further announcement, but until that time, all shows will go on as scheduled without Lisa. We apologize for any dissapointment this may cause."
Old 03-24-2007, 06:18 AM   #311
Rai
Eskimontologist

One thing just came into my mind: What if they simply don't have time to make a statement? They are currently on tour, having concerts two days away from each other usually in different countries. I suppose the least thing they are able to do is to put their thoughts together and make a coherent and responsible press statement. I think, after the last European gig in Edinburgh (march 31), when they'll have almost a month off, they will do the statement. (Or not, but that would be a major dissapointment for me. I think they have responsibillities to those they have 'tamed' )

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #312
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
One thing just came into my mind: What if they simply don't have time to make a statement? They are currently on tour, having concerts two days away from each other usually in different countries. I suppose the least thing they are able to do is to put their thoughts together and make a coherent and responsible press statement. I think, after the last European gig in Edinburgh (march 31), when they'll have almost a month off, they will do the statement. (Or not, but that would be a major dissapointment for me. I think they have responsibillities to those they have 'tamed' )
Unless they've collectively developed all consuming drug habits I'm sure life on the tour bus is dull enough for them to have composed an annoucement if they wanted to.

Speaking of which, maybe Lisa is in rehab.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #313
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

Correct me if i'm wrong, i don't have enough to read this entire thread.

But is the idea of lisa leaving a rumour?

And it's based on 1, her not being at shows, which has happened before.

and 2, a tip off, which 90% of the time can be wrong.

is there anything else?
Old 03-24-2007, 10:38 AM   #314
Sniffer
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#

I knew the truth would come out eventually.
Sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #315
Young Siward
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinBoy

is there anything else?
Conclusive proof, if ever I saw it....!

Just looking at the gigs page, the band looks like they're going on one of the most intensive tours I've ever seen. All that touring takes its toll I'd imagine, maybe Lisa fancied a break.

We've all had occasions when we've been in a friends pockets for just a bit too long and you need some space. Fatigue normally has something to do with it.

Horribly premature to speak of break ups and replacements etc.

Rehab? C'mon....
I will not be earthbound,
I'm gonna fly...
Young Siward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #316
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d
So you agree that this whole situation is very disingenuous for the purpose of, essentially, bait and switch on ticketbuyers who don't realize Lisa hasn't been at the last week's worth of shows?

And you don't have a problem with that?
Realize! Oh you Americans and your crazy spelling, you (plural) are the living end.

I do agree that it could definitely have been handled better, but then it's exactly the sort of the thing I've come to expect from Damien, because lets face it, he's not exactly the reigning king of PR. Whether or not it has anything to do with the success of the tour, and by proxy, the ticket sales is anyone's guess. It's obviously quite worrying to see people immediately treating that sort of speculation as news, but it's worth talking about for the rest of us who aren't so inclined to jump the gun.

As far as this whole 'Damien Rice is a band' argument is going, why is everyone still raving on about? This is what happens when a band breaks up or a member leaves; things change. Basically Lisa has decided that her happiness is more important then satisfying the ticket buying public. So lets start dealing with it...
Old 03-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #317
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinBoy

is there anything else?
Well we're just working on primary sources as alot of people who have been at the gigs after the Munich one have heard things like:

Damien wishing Lisa well and dedicating a song for her
Damien saying that "Lisa was touring.... but not anymore"
Vyvien refusing to say whether Lisa would be back

It's looking pretty solid so far.
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #318
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
She saw Britney on the tv and thought 'Oo, I could do that I always admired Sinead O'Connor'. Now they are working on an album together.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 03-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #319
thirsty
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
I see your point, but I can't fully agree. Nick Cave with The Bad Seeds wouldn't be much different than Nick Cave with any other band, whereas in a duet like Volcano or 9 Crimes you actually need the other side for the song to make sense. It can be sung perfectly by a single person, it will sound great, but the coherence of the piece is lost. In the BBC4 version of I Remember, which is one of the greatest things I've ever heard, you need that clear 'order of the treble that Lisa sings over the madness that the guitars and the cello make. If Damien Rice, the band, would simply be 'Damien Rice and friends', he'd probably only write songs like Elephant, Childish and Me, My Yoke and I which are perfect with a single guitar and a single voice. Then, everything else would simply be a bonus.
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds have been evolving for more than twenty years, each member plays a crucial part in musical projects.....to say that Nick Cave would be that with any old band shows a complete lack knowledge of the music and frankly, is a ridiculous statement
thirsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:35 PM   #320
Esquimales
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moves-My-World
Well we're just working on primary sources as alot of people who have been at the gigs after the Munich one have heard things like:

Damien wishing Lisa well and dedicating a song for her
Damien saying that "Lisa was touring.... but not anymore"
Vyvien refusing to say whether Lisa would be back

It's looking pretty solid so far.
I spoke to Damien in Milan after the gig and immediately asked about Lisa's absence before even reading this forum, and he replied she's not touring with him "anymore". About 20 people were there at the time and heard the same thing as me from the original source. That is all I know and am now waiting for the UK arenas tour to see if anything's changed. Hopefully Lisa will be back by then...

Has anyone else noticed how Lisa's wikipedia page has been changed this week and now says "She was on tour in 2007 with Damien Rice, but various rumors have her leaving and quitting the band."? I checked it on Monday afternoon after the Milan gig and it said something like "she will be on tour with Damien Rice for most of 2007"... go on, who's done it??
Old 03-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #321
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirsty
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds have been evolving for more than twenty years, each member plays a crucial part in musical projects.....to say that Nick Cave would be that with any old band shows a complete lack knowledge of the music and frankly, is a ridiculous statement
I admit that I hav no in depth knowledge of Nick Cave, I just thought this judging from the songs I've heard. I stand corrected if this is so.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:01 PM   #322
beatleboogie
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino
I would like to take this time to thank 'BeatleBoogie' who posted a comment in the 'Gigs' section.

Now the real question is, how credible are all these sources? Hendrik has a friend who knows a friend who is close friends with Damien , BeatleBoogie has an inside connection and I'm guessing the "little birds" are probably friends of friends that know friends, etc. Thank you for bringing this information to us but if you can, please clarify how credible your sources really are. As of now, all we're doing is going off of YOUR word. And as history has shown us many times before, the word of man is often fallible at best.

I spoke to 2 of the guys in Bell X1.
When I asked "what happened with Lisa" they said, as true is, that they were touring in Spain and don't know what actually happened. So if they were told afterwards and do know, they're being polite to Damien and keeping it within the flock. (Pun intended -hehe)
Something I wholeheartedly respect!
Then proceeded with saying: "But Lisa is happy."

That's all I need to know really...

Damien is awesome live, with or without her...but I do hope she will be back as well.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #323
Mimosa
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13086
That's where I disagree with you. The notion that Damien Rice without Lisa Hannigan is just like any other singer/songwriter is completely bogus.
Your absolutly right, I was just exaggerating.
Damien Rice, without Lisa, is still my favourite singer/songwriter, followed by Jeff Buckley and Bob Dylan.
Mimosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #324
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
What?! They sent out an email announcement this week about new shows going on sale and moving other shows.

DRM (I forget the new name) makes these announcements. Damien doesn't have to write it, and probably wouldn't be allowed to write it. They've got managers and webmasters and press people etc. who should've released a statement. Damien isn't even involved in that process.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #325
foryou
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquimales
Has anyone else noticed how Lisa's wikipedia page has been changed this week and now says "She was on tour in 2007 with Damien Rice, but various rumors have her leaving and quitting the band."? I checked it on Monday afternoon after the Milan gig and it said something like "she will be on tour with Damien Rice for most of 2007"... go on, who's done it??
Wikipedia will never be a reliable source for anything as it is built up by people who think that they know what they are talking about.
But "think they know" should not mixed up with "knowledge"......
foryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #326
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Default Now we're getting somewhere...

Quote:
I spoke to 2 of the guys in Bell X1.
When I asked "what happened with Lisa" they said, as true is, that they were touring in Spain and don't know what actually happened. So if they were told afterwards and do know, they're being polite to Damien and keeping it within the flock. (Pun intended -hehe)
Something I wholeheartedly respect!
Then proceeded with saying: "But Lisa is happy."

That's all I need to know really...

Damien is awesome live, with or without her...but I do hope she will be back as well.
Quote:
I'll just add that a little bird whispered to us that Lisa is happy. And another little bird said she'd be back - but the choice of words left not much hope that this meant back with Damo. I hope I'm wrong.
Or that the birds were mockingbirds...

Thanks for clearing up your resources in the first quotation above, it really made sense of things. And I agree, knowing that Lisa is happy is very re-assuring as well. By the way, can you also clarify the whole "choice of words left not much hope that this meant back with Damo" thing?
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #327
Heretic At Large
Eskimo Contextualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino
The guy refrains from signing autographs or taking pictures in order to keep his image normal, left his former band and a major record deal when he realized no one saw him eye-to-eye, and now he's desperate for ticket sales? Come on...
Yeah, and it makes me sick that he does that. Honestly, I don't believe a word of him "wanting to keep his image normal." If he really wanted to keep his image normal, he wouldnt be playing at such huge venues. Seriously, it is ridiculous that he doesn't take pictures or sign autographs. He chose this profession. So, when someone waits hours to meet him by his tour bus, and waits for one minute of his time, it is the least he can do. After all, these are the people that are paying for that house of his in Spain. So a little autograph, which he knows is meaningless, yet would mean so much to them, and would only take all of five seconds, is the absolute least he could do.

I love his music, but as for him as a person... well lets just say I love his music.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:15 PM   #328
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Yeah, and it makes me sick that he does that. Honestly, I don't believe a word of him "wanting to keep his image normal." If he really wanted to keep his image normal, he wouldnt be playing at such huge venues. Seriously, it is ridiculous that he doesn't take pictures or sign autographs. He chose this profession. So, when someone waits hours to meet him by his tour bus, and waits for one minute of his time, it is the least he can do. After all, these are the people that are paying for that house of his in Spain. So a little autograph, which he knows is meaningless, yet would mean so much to them, and would only take all of five seconds, is the absolute least he could do.

I love his music, but as for him as a person... well lets just say I love his music.
I haven't until the last few months, but I think I'm beginning to agree with you. But I feel like I'm in denial a little bit - as it really does sadden me that the more I hear about his nature as a person, the more I get the vibe that he's... well... I don't know the appropriate word, but you know what I'm getting at.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:19 PM   #329
Heretic At Large
Eskimo Contextualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
I haven't until the last few months, but I think I'm beginning to agree with you. But I feel like I'm in denial a little bit - as it really does sadden me that the more I hear about his nature as a person, the more I get the vibe that he's... well... I don't know the appropriate word, but you know what I'm getting at.
I'm thinking something along the lines of an illegitimate child...

I would give him a little bit of a break, but then I have to pinch myself and realize, he is an almost 40 year old man who should have a wiser perspective on things by now...
Old 03-24-2007, 08:43 PM   #330
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
I'm thinking something along the lines of an illegitimate child...

I would give him a little bit of a break, but then I have to pinch myself and realize, he is an almost 40 year old man who should have a wiser perspective on things by now...
Yeah... I mean he may want to remain 'normal' and all that, and he may think that people wanting autographs is sad etc - but y'know, I think he just has to get on with it and accept that unfortunately he can't have it both ways. If he wants to play all these massive venues and get his name out there more, then people will start to want autographs and things. And whether he likes it or not, it's polite to oblige, and I think quite ungreatful to decline.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote