Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-03-2006, 05:55 PM   #31
StatQuo
You never got me right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
But with Damien is the opposite, and I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't have a problem with Accidental babies being too slow or Rootless tree lacking anger...
I totally agree, i actually never heard Accidental babies, and i love the CD version. Don't see why it would be slow cause, it's the only version i know. I love it! Rootless i've played about 150 times, and there i feel like, damn there is more to this song then the cd version, a missed opportunity.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #32
hbhdaem
eskimo hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
Something tells me I'm having the mickey mercilessly ripped out of me. Oh dear.
nope being sincire...let me know okay?
im not god - no - im not god.i may love you,but I'm not god -
hbhdaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #33
hbhdaem
eskimo hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj
I don't understand why people say it's overproduced? I think the band's tighter but the recording sounds just as organic and natural as O to me.
Ha!
Old 11-03-2006, 07:14 PM   #34
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

when my freind first played o for me iasked her to turn it off....mainly cuz i wasnt in the mood for music. but 9 is good. we just need to get used to it.

we're all just too used to O i think, 9 is beautiful, thats the only word i find fitting to it.

but i doo miss my track 7...cheers daling....
we'll all grow used to it
Old 11-03-2006, 07:27 PM   #35
tj
Phono Vox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhdaem
Ha!
Sorry... If you're going to reply to me with just 'ha!' atleast explain yourself. At the minute it just seems rude... So please... Explain yourself.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #36
Bumpman

Quote:
nope being sincire...let me know okay?
I don't really know what to say about it. After four years and nine months it's a bit of a shock to the system, I think most people who got into O the moment they heard it, had the pleasure of hearing it at a point in their life when it had a real impact on how things actually were. I know that's how it was for me. I remember Damien saying that people had mentioned to him that the reason they became so obsessed with O was because as a piece, it felt as if it belonged to them, not to him. It's like on Radiohead's Amnesiac, on the back it says to keep the record stored in a dark drawer with your secrets.

In that context, right not I feel like 9 is the next chapter that I didn't see coming. I can't relate how I feel about it to just a plain old record review, because that doesn't seem to fit. When you talk to people about an artist that you adore so intensely, they don't get it. Just like I don't get 'it' when someone else is talking about someone that they admire in an almost infinite capacity. You can understand it, but everyone interprets and experiences what they love differently, becuase the world is a subjective place.

I am glad that I was able to sit down in front of a decent stereo and hear the whole album through, as a piece. Without fail, every song gave me chills more then once. I absolutely adored it for all its strengths and imperfections... Therein lies the issue that people will inevitably have with it though, since everyone feels so attached personally to this music, the imperfections in it become weaknesses, and the odd facets become wrong choices. The album it is isn't the album anyone expected, but that's what makes it so good, because none of us are Damien Rice, we just listen to his music sometimes, and his creative mind brings us happiness.

The bottom line is that whatever people say about this album, in reviews or otherwise, whether they're considering the man or the music. The people who frequent/inhabit this forum have heard enough of Damien's music to know that we'll all be taking in the new record in our own way. The great thing about music (by way of art) is that it reaches entirely personal elements of who we are, and no-one can talk anyone else out of thinking what they think, or feeling what they feel about it. It attaches itself you, and whether you love it or hate is the result of the conversation between it and you.

Everyone here would have had a their own version of 9 released today if it were up to us individually. But it isn't... instead what we have is Damien Rice's album, and for better or worse, that's what will be affecting us.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #37
tj
Phono Vox

Quote:
I don't really know what to say about it. After four years and nine months it's a bit of a shock to the system, I think most people who got into O the moment they heard it, had the pleasure of hearing it at a point in their life when it had a real impact on how things actually were. I know that's how it was for me. I remember Damien saying that people had mentioned to him that the reason they became so obsessed with O was because as a piece, it felt as if it belonged to them, not to him. It's like on Radiohead's Amnesiac, on the back it says to keep the record stored in a dark drawer with your secrets.

In that context, right not I feel like 9 is the next chapter that I didn't see coming. I can't relate how I feel about it to just a plain old record review, because that doesn't seem to fit. When you talk to people about an artist that you adore so intensely, they don't get it. Just like I don't get 'it' when someone else is talking about someone that they admire in an almost infinite capacity. You can understand it, but everyone interprets and experiences what they love differently, becuase the world is a subjective place.

I am glad that I was able to sit down in front of a decent stereo and hear the whole album through, as a piece. Without fail, every song gave me chills more then once. I absolutely adored it for all its strengths and imperfections... Therein lies the issue that people will inevitably have with it though, since everyone feels so attached personally to this music, the imperfections in it become weaknesses, and the odd facets become wrong choices. The album it is isn't the album anyone expected, but that's what makes it so good, because none of us are Damien Rice, we just listen to his music sometimes, and his creative mind brings us happiness.

The bottom line is that whatever people say about this album, in reviews or otherwise, whether they're considering the man or the music. The people who frequent/inhabit this forum have heard enough of Damien's music to know that we'll all be taking in the new record in our own way. The great thing about music (by way of art) is that it reaches entirely personal elements of who we are, and no-one can talk anyone else out of thinking what they think, or feeling what they feel about it. It attaches itself you, and whether you love it or hate is the result of the conversation between it and you.

Everyone here would have had a their own version of 9 released today if it were up to us individually. But it isn't... instead what we have is Damien Rice's album, and for better or worse, that's what will be affecting us.
the best thing i've read on this forum since Emmett's review. Well said!
Old 11-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #38
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj
the best thing i've read on this forum since Emmett's review. Well said!
Oh I think it should go up ahead of emmett's review.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:58 PM   #39
tj
Phono Vox

You're so modest! He he. I wonder what yer man/woman meant with 'Ha!' They obviously disagree with me or something. I wonder what was so funny about my opinion when I accepted theirs without any Ha! Or Ho! Ah well...
Old 11-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #40
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

We have O, its ours, we love it, its what introduced many of us to Damien. Anything else I hear from him is just a welcome addition to his beautiful music I already have. I love that he has put out the effort to make his fans happy by releasing some new music. Damien I'm sure knew how hard he would be judged by fans and critics after the beauty and success of O. Thats why many artists don't release a second one.
I'm not sure what you wanted from Damien , why you feel let down. But This is what he was feeling when he recorded 9 and this is what wanted us to hear. Good enough for me..
Bonus for me>>> I think its beautiful.

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice

Last edited by julia; 11-04-2006 at 03:13 AM.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #41
Oisin
How Do U Keep Love Alive?

Quote:
Well, It might sound a bit pretentious or whatever, but an album is more then just a big playlist, the songs that are on 9 are all on it for a reason. Some artists don't do that, and just turf everything into one package, which is also good. But I think that the reason that so many really great songs were left off was because they didn't fit with what Damien wanted from his album. That's sort of the point, to make a great piece as a whole rather then just 'the ten best songs I've ever written', or 'everything I have that hasn't been released'.

Oh thats what an album is??????????? Now I get it..........

Look all i'm saying is that 'O' fit together better than this piece and what would have improved this piece IN MY OPINON would have been the inclusion of the aforementioned tracks. I'm glad damien did what he wanted to do that's why he's great, but its like people are afraid to be a little critical of the album on here like there's a crowd waiting to jump on them if they do. What hasn't helped the album as someone previously said is that we've all heard to many live versions of the songs. For instance I heard "Grey Room" and "Accidental Babies"(a guitar version) in Melbourne Australia over TWO years ago and have had bootlegs of them since. It kind of ruins the suprise of the whole thing. Anyway I'm just glad it finally here

What, what are the words
They use when they know it's over
"We need to talk," or
"I'm confused, maybe later you can come over"

Ryan Adams
Oisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #42
Bumpman

I wasn't trying to insult you or anything...
Old 11-03-2006, 08:59 PM   #43
tj
Phono Vox

Just a thought here Oisin... What makes you think some people here are afraid to be critical of the album? Maybe the ones who aren't being more critical of it actually like and love the album?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:03 PM   #44
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

I'm too tired to find the quote, but someone earlier in the thread mentioned that people had heard the live versions so much it made the album less of a surprise. Great point I think.

I haven't really listened to all those live tracks... just maybe once when they first appeared... so the whole album was much more of a surprise to me. Maybe that's why I love it.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:17 PM   #45
Bumpman

By the by Wheels, I'm with you on the loving Dogs and whatnot. I'd pick either that or Sleep Don't Weep as my favourite song on 9
Old 11-03-2006, 11:21 PM   #46
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
By the by Wheels, I'm with you on the loving Dogs and whatnot. I'd pick either that or Sleep Don't Weep as my favourite song on 9
I'm not insane!

Old 11-03-2006, 11:23 PM   #47
Bumpman

Oh, now I never suggested anything like that. Believe me, you're quite insane.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:23 PM   #48
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Oh, now I never suggested anything like that. Believe me, you're quite insane.
I'm insane!!

Old 11-03-2006, 11:24 PM   #49
Bumpman

Classic...
Old 11-04-2006, 03:09 AM   #50
katiejoey
Eskimo Regular

i still haven't heard the album but very well said, Bumpman! i think you hit the nail on the head - everyone hears what they hear and you can;t make people hear what you do (or even what you wish they would!!)
katiejoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:44 AM   #51
cheese
Daisy of the Galaxy

I'm still a little undecided in a way. It hasn't hit me yet, but I've only given it a few listens.

The older songs, Rootless Tree (although at first I though it was missing something), Me My Yoke and I, Grey Room, Dogs and Elephant, I'm very glad to hear on record...although 9 crimes used to be my favourite Damien Rice song, sadly the album version doesn't come close, I think giving Lisa the lead vocals was the wrong decision.

As for the newer or lesser known songs, well I don't know where to begin, there's only really Coconut Skins that I want to listen to more than once...the rest just seem way too similar and without trying to sound obnoxious, I laughed when I heard All The Animals Were Gone because I thought it was terrible, it's on par with Unplayed Piano! These songs sound halfarsed with out Damien's trademark emotion.

Again, however, I'm still not fully decided...although to me (and most likely wrong), I don't believe Damien will be totally happy with the record...I think he just wanted to get something out and threw together a few songs and stuck them on record.......but, in the end, I still don't mind it as the older songs rescue it, although mainly because I've always wanted to hear recorded versions.......although Toffee Pop would have been nice.

EDIT: Albums aren't just playlists (although this one feels like it was just bunged together like one)...the good albums aren't anyway, there is an art to making an album epic (O had it, it feels like a journey or a story), just listen to Eel's Electro-Shock Blues...that is far from a playlist or collection of songs, it's a 50 minute story and a map of the mans emotions...an album flows because it is constructed, not just put together.

Last edited by cheese; 11-04-2006 at 10:49 AM.
cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #52
hbhdaem
eskimo hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese
I laughed when I heard All The Animals Were Gone because I thought it was terrible, it's on par with Unplayed Piano! These songs sound halfarsed with out Damien's trademark emotion.
no way i laughed too...then cried hysterically...then laughed some more
Old 11-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #53
hbhdaem
eskimo hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj
What makes you think some people here are afraid to be critical of the album? Maybe the ones who aren't being more critical of it actually like and love the album?
Ha!
Old 11-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #54
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Ha!
Old 11-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #55
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

I was expecting this kind of a backlash because you can see people had very definite ideas of what the next Damien Rice album should be... which can only really lead to disappointment. Other than to say that they got Elephant 100% perfect I can't really express my opinions on it better than this:

Quote:

PS shame on anyone who listened to the album when it leaked. Boo-urns!
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #56
tj
Phono Vox

Quote:
Ha!
please don't be such a waste of time. Don't be so childish and finally... If you don't have anything worthy to reply with don't bother replying to me.. Since when did this place turn into a playground?
Old 11-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #57
Bumpman

It was about a week ago when some genius came up with the immortal line: Damien Choose Is An Ass.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #58
tj
Phono Vox

Quote:
It was about a week ago when some genius came up with the immortal line: Damien Choose Is An Ass.
Ha ha! Yeah that's right. Something to do with him not coming to Seattle? Maybe it's too cold in Seattle...
Old 11-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #59
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Ha!
Seriously? This is what you say to the thought that someone might like the album? I don't think anyone is going to lose sleep over you not liking '9'...

Old 11-04-2006, 05:45 PM   #60
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
PS shame on anyone who listened to the album when it leaked. Boo-urns!
sorry but it was there, taunting me...."download me, download me". I was always going to buy it, unless it was complete rubbish!
It wasnt and I find it better if I skip 9 Crimes, Dogs, Coconut Skins, Grey Room, Accidential Babies and the tibetian bowl nonsence