Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 12-09-2003, 01:39 AM   #1
stuffette
Eskimo Baby

Here is the set list (and notes) but I have left out some songs. If anyone was there and can help me out, please do.

1. FACE(I know I have heard this one before)
lots of distortion and kind of sounds like Volcano.
2. VOLCANO (the 12 minute version)
3. BLOWERS DAUGHTER
4. THEN GO
5. BE MY HUSBAND (best song tonight)
6. AIMIE (this was the longest intro ever, you know the "pissed off" one.)
7. ????? (really heavy drums)
8. ESKIMO (Thanks to the guy next to me who started yelling before the song was over)
9. 7 NATION ARMY (so much fun)
(strange pause) Getting on and off stage appeared difficult for everyone.
10. CHILDISH
11. COLD WATER (Damien was noodleing a bit on the guitar and first started to play Older Chests but then he stopped and told a story about how he holds his head under the water in the bath and imagines someone is holding it down. He holds it there until he is about to pass out. He said we should try it sometime. I don't trust myself enough Damien. My luck, I would pass out.
12. HALLELUIAH
13. BLOWERS DAUGHTER PART 2
14. I REMEMBER

ENCORE
15. OLDER CHESTS
16. CANNONBALL (LISA SANG IT [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img])
17. Some guy got up and sang a traditional irish song. (RAGLAN ROAD, so I am told) Damien talked about how they all went out for dinner at an Italian restaurant for his birthday and this song came up. I don't know who the guy was.
18. ????? (Something about "f**k You")
19. SILENT NIGHT (only Lisa and Vyvian were on stage)

I bet they would have played more but the crowd started leaving. It was 12:40 at this point on Monday night and I think people were tired. Oh Well.

Damien's voice was scratchy but I think it sounded cool. I was dissapointed to not hear Woman like a Man or Delicate. I decided to stand in the back so the sound would be better and all I got to listen to at times were drunk loud people and bartenders smashing bottles into trash cans. As a matter of fact the singer from Pedestrian even changed some of his lyrics to comment on the stupid bartenders.

Cool ending to the night. I drove behind the tour bus on my way home. I got stuck behind it on 287 in some construction.
www.geocities.com/thestuffettesEdited by: stuffette
stuffette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:34 AM   #2
Smithy
Eskimo Regular

Cheers Stuffette,
looks to be a cool set, I totally know what you mean about noise from the bar, I was at the Shephards Bush Empire, and during the quieter songs all you could here was cash register beeps and drunks etc. Also I heard Lisa sing Cannonball the first time I saw Damo and it was beautiful ... argh I can't wait for February now [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2003, 08:38 AM   #3
leighalice
Eskimo Baby

Why am I running a total blank on the 1st song??
Older Chests ended up being the 1st song in the encore.
Also, I think what came between Amie and Eskimo was just some intro-outro business. I could be wrong.
I really could not deal with the amount of conversation going on, the cell phones, the beers clinking in trash cans. At some concerts, that's ok because the noise is covered by the music. But there are so many moments in one of Damien's shows that focuses on the silence. Screaming during that is disrespectful, I think.
Overall an amazing night. His return in the spring is not soon enough!
leighalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 08:55 AM   #4
kristine
Eskimo Regular

I definitely enjoyed the show, but it wasn't the best I've seen, not because of Damien really, but more because of the crowd, as everyone was saying...If that guy yelled "Cannonball!" one more time, I was going to hunt him down! Oh, and a fight broke out in front of me at one point!! Can you believe that!? At a Damien show?? Right up front too...I was only about 4 people deep from the stage...

And, I'm not sure who that guest singer was on stage, and it was sweet of Damien to have him up there, but I honestly could have done without that...

I wasn't turned off by the fact that his voice was slightly off...in fact, it wasn't that bad at all...I was nervous that it was going to be just Lisa singing most of the time, but I'm glad that wasn't the case...not that I don't enjoy her voice, but I enjoy them more together than separate...she's so freakin' cute...after Silent Night, some man yelled out (of course) "Yeah Lisa!" in a thick Brooklyn accent, and she kind of giggled into the mic as she left the stage.

I liked how Damien changed the lyrics to Aimie to mention "peace for you and for the Iraqis" very touching...

Before Damien even got onstage, the singer from Pedestrian called for a mass sing-a-long for Happy Birthday to Damien...cute bastards.

Oh, and I managed to snag the tour manager (I think that's who it was, but I can't remember her name) to give Damien a little silly gift...it was just some throat drops and Vicks Vapo Rub, but I did include my email address (hmm...maybe that's slightly stalker-ish..oops?) so we'll see if he drops me a line!!

Can't WAIT to see him on Wednesday at Joe's Pub...the tour closer, and hopefully a more respectful crowd!Edited by: kristine
Old 12-09-2003, 09:03 AM   #5
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Kristine.. That is such a sweet gift.. I am sure you charmed him.. It seems like the NY crowd would have been so much more respectful, I know he has sooo many fans there.. That surprises me. Did Damien seem in good spirits? Thanks for the info and glad you had a good time[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:17 AM   #6
kalle
Eskimo Baby

The first song he played was "Face" and he began the encore with "Older Chests"

The trad song was Raglan Road. A great song.

It was an absolutely brilliant gig I thought. The seventh one I've seen him do in New York this year!

I'd be really keen to find out what that 2nd last song was with the "F*ck You, F*ck You" chorus. It sounded like it could have been a new one or perhaps it was a Juniper track. Either way it was a really powerful track.
kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:19 AM   #7
kalle
Eskimo Baby

Did anyone tape it by the way? I have plenty of Damo gigs to trade.

Its the first gig all year I didnt tape and now I'm raging that I didnt!
Old 12-09-2003, 09:21 AM   #8
Nich
Eskimo Friend

i def enjoyed the show..to bad that guy screamed cannonball....hence lisa singing it and not damien..but def a good time...
Old 12-09-2003, 03:02 PM   #9
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalle
The trad song was Raglan Road. A great song.
Oh, I *l*o*v*e that song!
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 03:03 PM   #10
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Thanks for the great review, stuffette!
Old 12-10-2003, 11:34 AM   #11
pnobles
Eskimo Friend

the tape will be on marios server when it is ready. enjoy.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:13 PM   #12
kalle
Eskimo Baby

nice one pnobles!

keep us posted on that!
Old 12-18-2003, 09:05 PM   #13
DSig80
Eskimo Baby

Hi,

Check out my review of this gig at this address:

http://www.freshtracksmusic.com/news.asp?content_item_id=10845&content_type_id =7&entity_id=13&idx=1

If you like drop the people at freshtracks music a line letting them know you thought it was groovy and sign up for my mailing list at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bandmls for other reviews and much more!

Thanks everyone!

Kyle
DSig80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 09:10 PM   #14
DSig80
Eskimo Baby

One more thing...

the horrible HORRIBLE crowd at this gig inspired me to write another article which should be appearing on freshtracks music or in my newsletter soon. I'll keep you guys posted.I'm glad I'm not the only one who was super annoyed. If I were Damo I would have left Cannonball off the set all together...i've heard it enough that I wouldn't have minded just to spite that a**hole. I'm glad to have heard Lisa sing it though. Also, I don't know if anyone else noticed or if it was just me cause I was standing so close to her, but this beligerent drunk girl clapped completely out of rythym during Be My Husband...that was about as annoying as the Cannonball guy.

KMAC
Old 01-14-2004, 12:30 PM   #15
DSig80
Eskimo Baby

As promised... the article inspired in large part by the Warsaw show... avaliable today at http://www.freshtracksmusic.com. Look for the article by Kyle Curry.

Also, is this show avaliable on a server yet? If so can someone give me info on where to get it. Thanks!

Kyle Curry
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bandms
DSig80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:09 PM   #16
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Eh....where is the article? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] Help me put here!
Old 01-15-2004, 01:25 PM   #17
DSig80
Eskimo Baby

Here is the link to the article.

http://www.freshtracksmusic.com/news.asp?content_item_id=12900&content_type_id =7&entity_id=13&idx=1
Old 01-15-2004, 02:20 PM   #18
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Thanks for the link! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2004, 04:35 PM   #19
DSig80
Eskimo Baby

No prob, hope you enjoyed it. It's dedicated to the ass who kept yelling for Cannonball.