Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 03-20-2005, 09:17 AM   #1
izze
Eskimo Regular

Default scary stuff!

ive been asked to lead vocals in a set with a friend playing electric guitar. no backing vocals, just me! scary stuff. its part of a 15 hours of worship thing in a near by church. any advice for nerves, eskimos?!
Old 03-20-2005, 10:51 AM   #2
crackpotcuckoo
Eskimo Regular

You've just gotta go for it!!! If you were asked to do it then you must pretty good so be confident!!

I get so incredibly nervous when I have to sing in front of people! Last year I decided to sing for my music exam. I was absolutly sh*ttin myself about it!! But I decided to just go for it, gave it everything I could! I started the exam with piano pieces that I played badly. Then I went on to sing "Summertime". I just didn't hold back. I really shocked the examiner! She didn't think I had it in me!!

So just go for it!! What have you got to lose??

Last edited by crackpotcuckoo; 03-20-2005 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Damn it, I can't spell!!
crackpotcuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
ali*
eskimo drama queen

just breath deep and think positive- you can do it! best of luck
Old 03-20-2005, 01:44 PM   #4
izze
Eskimo Regular

Default thanks

thanks you guys for the advice. and ali, your signature i heard it being read out at a christian rock concert?! cool
Old 03-20-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
rubthabuddha
Eskimo Friend

isn't that a line from kerouac?
Old 03-20-2005, 03:10 PM   #6
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubthabuddha
isn't that a line from kerouac?
yeah it is a.j. from 'on the road'...

But then they danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!'

i like this one too from the same book...

But I had to get going and stop moaning, so I picked up my bag, said so long to the old hotelkeeper sitting by his spittoon, and went to eat. I ate apple pie and ice cream-it was getting better as I got deeper into Iowa, the pie bigger, the ice cream richer. There were the most beautiful bevies of girls everywhere I looked in Des Moines that afternoon-they were coming home from high school-but I had no time now for thoughts like that and promised myself a ball in Denver. Carlo Marx was already in Denver; Dean was there... I looked forward to all of them with joy and anticipation. So I rushed past the pretty girls, and the prettiest girls in the world live in Des Moines.

jack kerouac
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:21 PM   #7
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

re: nerves maybe try drinking some herbal tea (chamomile) with lemon (which is also good for your singing voice) and do relaxation breathing beforehand, where you breathe in thru your nose and out thru your mouth in measured breaths (use 3 or 4 counts and the whole space of your lungs)

gymnasts, martial artists, and actors/performers sometimes use creative visualization where you practice your routine over and over in your mind. studies have shown that going through the sequence of your routine (even singing i would guess) in your imagination is the same as practicing it physically and lays down the same memory patterns and builds the same skills as an actual practice or performance. you can use creative visualization to relax too by imagining yourself in a soothing, comforting place when you're doing the breathing exercises.

but singing in church is always fun because you're there to worship so 'make a joyful noise' and have fun! good luck izze!
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:38 PM   #8
Alysha
Eskimo Baby

Just don't allow yourself to be nervous. Know that they wouldn't have asked you if you weren't an awesome singer and then go kick ass.
Alysha is offline   Reply With Quote