Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 01-28-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
dizzy cannon
senseless eskimo

i'm not sure if there is a similar thread about this....

I dont know what its like overseas but in theUS not many people really know about damo, sowhat do u think will happen if damo gets really really popular? does anyone think they would tend to not like him as much? (sorry damo)

im just wondering cuz ive done that with other bands i liked them when not many ppl knew them and then when they got popular listening to them was different and im scared that might happen to me if he gets really big here...[img]smileys/smiley13.gif[/img]

do u think that will happen with damo? or will he be different? cuz he seems hes really not into the whole huge celeb thing cuz he seems so down to earth

any opinions??? sorry if i make anyone mad bout this

"You're still reaching for the moon."
"No, father. The moon's reaching for me!"

myspace

dizzy cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:18 PM   #2
Juzzza
Eskimo Regular

This has been discussed quite a lot actually.

I find it a bit strange to be honest, how can success change your opinion of the quality of the music?I could understand if the artist becomes more interested in releasing albums for money that actually creating something they are passionate about, but the notion that success should put you off is strange... To me anyway.

It's almost like people want to be unique, or in a minority and not follow the rest of society or mainstream. They feel 'cool' because they have this little secret band or musician not many people know about... Hmmm, time to let it go.

http://www.myspace.com/justinthorne
http://www.myspace.com/jtintheshadows
Juzzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
milky
skivvy for the system

i really dont think it makes a difference how big an artist is as long as i like the music - if you tend to stop liking an artist once they become more well known or "big" well then you cannot really consider yourself a fan in the first place.thats really fickle if you dont mind me saying

granted it is always nice to hear of an artist before they make it big but musicians deserve to be recognised for their talent which i guess inevitably means they could become famous!

Old 01-28-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
gurdy
Eskimo Baby

Does anyone know the song by Lagwagon, called "Know it all" perhaps? That's exactly what this is all about. There's a sarcastic line in this song: "cause talent's exclusive to bands without pay"

I think it's such a bullsh*t. If you like the music, what does it matter if only 5 people like it or the whole world?? Music is something everybody interprets in their own way and I would find it quite great of Damien if he reaches millions of people with his songs! You go Damo! [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
dizzy cannon
senseless eskimo

yea i know it was "fickle" of me asking but i was just wondering i think i may tend to "not like" some bands music as much because they get really played out on the radio or sometimes it seems like they sell out...like the music leans to sound like its more pop then what it was origionally sometimes i just feel like they out just to sell more records and not make music

so it wont be like with damo because he i think he in it for the music and not the money

make better sense?

myspace

Old 01-28-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
dizzy cannon
senseless eskimo

geez im sorry if i offended anyone i was just wondering what other ppl felt

myspace

Old 01-28-2005, 02:36 PM   #7
Juzzza
Eskimo Regular

I don't think you offended anyone DC, not me anyway.

That makes more sense, your second post that is, that sometimes bands do change their sound for mainstream success, rather than write and release what's in their hearts.

I think Damo would rather eat drawing pins.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:40 PM   #8
milky
skivvy for the system

no offence taken at all dizzy and i didnt mean to offend you i understand what you mean about bands selling out but i dont think damien will......................watch this space eh?!!
Old 01-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
J.M.C
Eskimo

In my opinion only bands that aint that good lose credit when they get really popular or if they produce a bad album eg; if damien realised an album like O but soo he could be more popular he made them all with tacky drums and computer harmony like the radio edits of cannonball and blowers daughter so if he made an album like that on purpose i would lose respect for the artist and go off them they dont lose there talent tho. Also look at the biggest bands in the world who almost every onelikes andits still "cool" to like them eg: coldplay and oasis and when solo artists get big they dont lose there fans if there good enuff eg: david grey who you gotta say hit the pop world by storm but he did this by not changing so if a band or damien hits the pop world without changing for it then its fine and if you stop liking something because it gets big you need to look at your motives for liking sumthing is it because you like sumthing amazing that no one knows about and you like to be differntOR beacause you like there music and you support it fully. sorry for the rant and please reply cos it took me ages haha

Jai XxxXx

But in summing up if you like sumthing thats that good you just got to face its going to get big if you stop liking this just because there big then thats very bad but if you stop liking something because they change to be popular i would say you could be right to do this, Regarding Damien i would not worry i dont think this pop album is coming but if you stop liking people because they get big i would worry about you liking Damien in a years time.Edited by: J.M.C
J.M.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:03 PM   #10
dizzy cannon
senseless eskimo

i've put some thought into this andthought aboutsome of the bands that i stopped liking after they got popular and i think one of the main reasons is that the there music changed and in my opinion in a bad way as they didnt seem to be true to themselveswhen they were as a smaller band

but then i dont have a problem with bands changing there music as they progress throughout there career because nothing can ever stay the same and it shouldnt because thats what makes the greatest artists those who can re-invent there music so that its not the same stuff with different lyrics album after album

so i suppose i was just unclear and confusing in my first post which i usually tend to confuse ppl when i ask questions because im can be very vague and misleading so i guess i what i meant and should have said if anyone else is scared that damo's music will change in a bad way, for example, to "pop" or mainstream but now that i think of it thats a dumb question because he plays music from his heart and not his wallet like other artists today

so sorry for the confusion and thank u for the comments good and bad

[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

myspace

Old 01-31-2005, 06:24 AM   #11
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

"To avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:36 AM   #12
marloes
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
marloes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:38 AM   #13
soda
dutchkimo

LOL, hahahaha, note the last equasion; m+s=xxx

very very funny

soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:30 AM   #14
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

I think there is a difference between mega-famous artists and less so ones.

Concerts for a start - who wants to go and see Damien or other intimate musicians in stadiums? Where there is more chance to stand next to a noisy,annoying, drunk person who thought this was gonna be a rugby match!
And who wants to fight and pay hundreds for a ticket?
Who wants to queue, among the crazy teenage girls, at the end of gigs, to be able to meet their favourite musician?

Of course, this is unfair, and elitist, yes. But I could never help it. It happened to me with Stereophonics and Placebo (it's also because the music went from great to alright if not sh*t!) and it happened to me with actors as well. Jude Law for instance, who was great in "Gataca" and look now... He's everywhere, he's selling himself to the one who'll pay the most.

Yes, as you said Juzza,I do want to be unique, and listen to things that not everyone else listen to. I want to have, at least, the *impression* that I am free to choose what I like, that it is not imposed on me by some external force (TV, radio, other people...), and above all, that I am free to change my mind.

I know it sounds snob, but hey, I AM snob! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:23 AM   #15
Juzzza
Eskimo Regular

There are millions of elitists in the world, millions of people who want their artists and actors to remain unpopular.

Trouble is Patricia, cream rises to the top... only the artist can control whether or not they sour.

Snobs are sexy by the way.

'It's not in my nature to be mysterious... but I can't discuss why and I can't discuss how.'

Edited by: Juzzza