Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 03-18-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
antani
Italian Eskimo

Default Milan Tonight!! (No Lisa!)

So i've just come home from the gig which was just 10 minutes walk from my house.
I went there this afternoon to see what was going on, and sure enough, i caught shawn arriving on a taxi cab and walking in the venue. Then i met vyvien walking in from the city center. I asked her to sign my copy of "9" (which she did) and I asked her if it was true that Lisa had quit the band. I said that there were rumours spreading on the net and I was just wondering whether i should expect her to be on stage that night. She said: Well, she hasn't really quit but she won't be here tonight" She looked like she was carefully choosing words and maybe trying to say a bit more without actually saying the whole story. Considering she was a bit taken aback, I just said "Never mind, I don't need to know all of it". She appreciated this and we just chat a bit of this and that.
Then, one hour later, Damien arrived. I said hi to him and tried to let him sign my album. He politely said "Sorry mate, i don't sign". So it's just not a matter of crowds. I was the only one there so it's just his policy LOL. He asked me if this was his first show i was seeing and he hope i'd enjoy it.

Here's the setlist:

Cannonball (no mikes)
Delicate
Rootless Tree (piano version)
Me My Yoke and I
The rat within the grain
Volcano
Accidental Babies
Amie (by request from the audience)
Coconut Skins
I remember
------
Vyv solo song on the piano
Another non-album track which i can't recall
Blower's daughter
9 crime
What this night is for - Sleep don't weep

The show lasted a bit less than 2 hours and it was simply amazing.
Bad notes: the lack of real drums (Tomo played congas and a percussion kit) and Lisa definitely lacking on songs like 9 crimes.
More details will follow tomorrow, as it is a bit late over here.

Last edited by antani; 03-19-2007 at 06:23 AM.
antani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:13 PM   #2
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Thanks for the update... really hope she hasn't quit
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:38 PM   #3
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Thanks for posting.... Looks like a serious quarrel...

The setlist looks great, nice ending with What the night is for/Sleep don't weep...The first non-album track you mention is The Rat Within the Grain...
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:31 AM   #4
peterj
eskimo friend

oh man i would love to see rat within the grain live...
peterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:24 AM   #5
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Do you remember any lyrics for the other song you didn't recognise??
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:57 AM   #6
Sjeng747
Eskimo Baby

I'm afraid we're not going to see Lisa tomorrow night
Sjeng747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
lalla32
Eskimo Regular

I'm quite sure the other song was Sand... and it was totally beautiful! One of the best songs of the night! Together with the heart-breaking ending at the piano... I'm not ashamed to say I cried!

I still can't get over how beautiful it was... how awesome and talented and funny was Damien. I had listened to some live recordings in the past but they really don't do him justice. What a beautiful voice... *sigh* How am I suspposed to start a new week of work now? LOL

Unfortunately I haven't been able to meet any eskimo friend before the concert but I would have loved it... I was so worried about the whole Lisa thing. Mostly I was worried to find a moody and upset Damien... but he looked fine to me... and spent a lot of time smiling and talking about the songs... so in the end it was quite stupid for me to worrie so much! :P I would have loved to have Lisa there but the show was totally breath-taking even without her!

When he started singing my head was pulsing like my heart had moved there... it was my first Damien concert and I was totally out of myself!
At first I was mad at people taking so many picures since I know how much it makes him mad... but the people at the venue made them stop... or at least I think they scolded to everyone was using a cell to record the show. I think the crowd was very respectful.

Random stuff:

- in accidental babies he totally messed up the lyrics twice...:P but both the intro and the long ending at the piano went on forever and were absolutely beautiful!
- he started playing woman like a man but his guitar was out of tune so he started fixing it and since it took him some time, Vyv started palying with shadows on the wall and helped with her hand Damien's shadow... Unfortunately he decided to change the song after that and played Amie.
- He talked a lot... but a certain point he wondered if anyone in the crowd talked English because we were all too quiet I guess... :P he told us the usual story for Amie... a long story for Volcano (but I missed part of it because of my far from perfect English) and he also introduced I remember and Coconut Skins... which was my fave! About being a kid and wanting to dig a hole to get to the other side of the earth... it was lovely!
- I kind of liked the lack of drums I think Tomo did an awesome job with congas.

Damn... I seriously need more...

Now I'm considering going to Rome this summer... anyone is going?

Last edited by lalla32; 03-19-2007 at 12:50 PM.
lalla32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #8
Giuseppe
Eskimo Baby

Thanks everybody guys for the detailed report of the show and for the tracklist, though am still waiting to know the Vyv piano solo song's title, great!

I didn't know 'bout rumours on Lisa, but still feel upset for her absence

Anyway, Damo was great and made a great performance; he didn't "sign" his italian concert like he did in Paris singin' Ne me quitte pas, but the start of O Sole Mio, helped by Vyv piano, was nice as well!

Really i've never seen so many cameras and mobiles in a concert like yesterday, so that i finally realised how happens Damien gets so mad for those ones ... anyway, i had mine and have recorded something, which i'm going to post soon on youtube. Hope other eskimos will do the same so that we'll be able to share everything 'bout Damo & c.

I swear, i'll be 100% in Rome in July, and i'm confident we'll be able to set up a fans rendez-vous bettern than in Milan, and, above all, to enjoy Lisa's emotional voice (how would be possible even just to imagine 9Crimes without her?!)

Ciao...
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

Oh how exciting! It sounds like a wonderful time! And sounds like Damien was in a great mood.. I hope Vyv does a solo here as well. I love her Thank you SO much for giving telling us about your wonderful show!!

http://www.myspace.com/5859320
MacrossGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
antani
Italian Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Do you remember any lyrics for the other song you didn't recognise??
I don't remember the lyrics, it was a rather uptempo song in the key of G, played mostly on guitar.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:13 AM   #11
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe
Anyway, Damo was great and made a great performance; he didn't "sign" his italian concert like he did in Paris singin' Ne me quitte pas, but the start of O Sole Mio, helped by Vyv piano, was nice as well!

Ciao...
thanks for all the reviews.

i don't know if he ever did 'Ne me quitte pas', at least i haven't heard any recording of it. from Chrysler's recording from Munich, his voice sounded getting better and better. i only wished the recording quality was better. i'd love to hear 'O sole Mio' by him
SilentNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #12
lalla32
Eskimo Regular

Giuseppe, I've checked the lyrics and the new new song was surely "Sand" (I need to find a godd recording of that becuase it was really amazing!)... and Vyv song was "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots"... way too cute!

I need to figure out everything about the Rome show because I just need to be there... no way I'm gonna miss it!
lalla32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:25 PM   #13
thismalewhoisafly
Eskimo Friend

The song Vyvienne played solo is a cover from a Flaming Lips song calld YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS... amazing, in my opinion... as the whole show.
I just hope to see Lisa in Rome anyways.
thismalewhoisafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #14
glo32
Eskimo Regular

1. Cannonball (no mic)
2. Delicate
3. Rootless Tree (piano version with a long intro)
4. Me My Yoke and I
5. The Rat Within The Grain
6. Volcano
7. Accidental Babies (outro with vyv)
8. Amie (he asked "happy or depressing song? both?" and then i played amie)
9. Coconut Skins
10. I Remember
- ENCORE -
11. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Part I
12. Sand
13. The Blower's daughter
14. 9 Crimes
15. What this night is for >
16. Sleep don't weep

After Volcano, a lot of people asked about Lisa but Damien didn't say anything...
My favourite was I Remember... 14 minutes long, and Tomo and Damien at the end... I absolutely loved them.

My highlights:
- What this night is for & Sleep Don't Weep
- "O sole mio"
- Rootless Tree: the intro was really beautiful, maybe the best version of Rootless Tree I've heard...
- The story he told before Coconut Skins... the "I dig a hole, I write a song" stuff

I missed Lisa in the beginning... I don't like Volcano without her. But the show was great.
I took some photo, and someone was recording videos... Do you know if someone taped the show?
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #15
e-botti
Eskimo Baby

The worst concert I've ever seen. And it's very hard to admit for me.

No Cold Water, no Eskimo, no Elephant, no Woman Like A Man and....no Lisa !!!!

Sorry guys but yesteday was maybe te worst Damien Rice show...next friday I'll be in London and on next 27 I wanted to go at the Apollo to see him but now I don't know if I'll do it.

Great performance by the Magic Numbers.
e-botti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #16
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-botti
The worst concert I've ever seen. And it's very hard to admit for me.

I don't understand... "The worst concert you've ever seen" because Damien sucks or because he doesn't play Eskimo?
We all have our favourite songs... We can put them on a compilation, if we want... but we can't say a concert is bad because he doesn't play something...
Old 03-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #17
e-botti
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32
I don't understand... "The worst concert you've ever seen" because Damien sucks or because he doesn't play Eskimo?
We all have our favourite songs... We can put them on a compilation, if we want... but we can't say a concert is bad because he doesn't play something...
Sorry but I don't understand you. Sorry but I've written "No Cold Water, no Eskimo, no Elephant, no Woman Like A Man", not only "no Eskimo".
A Damin Rice show without Lisa isn't a Damien Rice complete show.

Anyway Damien released only 2 studio albums so it's normally expecting the most appreciated songs !
Old 03-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #18
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Sorry but I don't understand you. Sorry but I've written "No Cold Water, no Eskimo, no Elephant, no Woman Like A Man", not only "no Eskimo".

Anyway Damien released only 2 studio albums so it's normally expecting the most appreciated songs !
the most appreciated songs? which songs? people appreciate different songs, maybe someone likes sand more than eskimo or the rat within the grain more thank wlam...
Old 03-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #19
Bumpman

Quote:
Most appreciated songs by who? You or him? If you want to see someone play the hits and then buy Rod Stewart tickets...
Old 03-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #20
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Oh for god's sake, the world does not revolve around you.

Go see James Blunt, he thinks you're beautiful. And it's true.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #21
e-botti
Eskimo Baby

Ok I know what you mean....anyway for me wasn't a great show, and as I wrote before it's very hard to say.
Hope to see him again (maybe in London) and hope Lisa comes back into the band.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:58 PM   #22
Andre
Eskimo Baby

Quote:

You wrote that it was the worst concert you've ever seen. I don't know how many concerts you have seen in you life, but how can one from Damo be sooo bad?

I mean was is only because of the songs he didn't play and because Lisa wasn't there? Even if Damo would only play songs that i never heard in my life before it would be so much better than a "standard" concert from most other artists out there. I missed Lisa in Munich too but the evening was just breathtaking even without her.
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:58 PM   #23
e-botti
Eskimo Baby

I can see how is very hard talking with fans in any places.
I can't belive that for all the venue yesterday was an exellent show without Lisa. Anyway I repeat that for me it wasn't a great concert and I'm happy if forall of you was so beautiful.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #24
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
I can see how is very hard talking with fans in any places.
I can't belive that for all the venue yesterday was an exellent show without Lisa. Anyway I repeat that for me it wasn't a great concert and I'm happy if forall of you was so beautiful.
'Not a great concert' or 'the worst concert ever', slight difference.

And you are entitled to your opinion ofcourse, but the reasons mentioned
are a bit lame. Ok, I can imagine being disappointed when Lisa didn't
show up, or being disappointed that a fav. song wasn't played. But that
doesn't really say a lot about the quality of the show. Was Damien's
singing terrible? Was the band out of shape? Did they seem uninspired?
Did they mess up half the songs? Were they insulting the fans?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #25
e-botti
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
You wrote that it was the worst concert you've ever seen. I don't know how many concerts you have seen in you life, but how can one from Damo be sooo bad?

I mean was is only because of the songs he didn't play and because Lisa wasn't there? Even if Damo would only play songs that i never heard in my life before it would be so much better than a "standard" concert from most other artists out there. I missed Lisa in Munich too but the evening was just breathtaking even without her.
Hi. Maybe you're the only that understand what I would say. Yes, in my life I saw a lot of concerts and the only that made me notvery hapy wasthe show of yesterday night.
I was waiting for this concert for a long time and being there and seeing that Lisa wasn't on the stage was very bad moment for me....that's all !
Old 03-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #26
thismalewhoisafly
Eskimo Friend

What's wrong guys if he disliked the show? I mean, he has got his reasons to be disappointed and to tell it has been the worst show he's been to, i can't what it has to do with you and why he has to be criticised...
Of course anyone has his fav songs and his expectations for a show, but that's the point, evidently his expectations haven't been met, that's all!
Did you all like the gig? Me too, I loved it... He didn't... stop.
thismalewhoisafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #27
e-botti
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Baby
Was Damien's
singing terrible? Was the band out of shape? Did they seem uninspired?
Did they mess up half the songs? Were they insulting the fans?
I didn't say nothing about these points. Of course Damien made a great performance and the rest of the band played very well.
Infact it's for this that I feel so sick remembering yesterday night. I really love Damien and his music.
The show was the worst I've ever seen in my life butsaying thisI don't say thatwas terrible or simply bad. It was a great show, but I repeat not for me.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:18 PM   #28
e-botti
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismalewhoisafly
evidently his expectations haven't been met, that's all!
exactly. hope for the best the next time......
Old 03-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #29
gorman
Eskimo Baby

I'm sorry for you e-botti, while I share your being let down by Lisa not performing, I can't help but having a huge smile on my face, as I was the one that shouted "Amie!" and had Damien respond "Well, that's both happy and depressing...".

I just couldn't believe it... that, for instance, it's my favourite song from Damien Rice, so I hope you can understand why, for me, it was still an incredible performance.

I want to add, also, that while the two records so far from Damien are excellent... seeing him live made me appreciate how much of an ARTIST he really is (all capitals definitely intended). The level of confidence he displays with his craft is really amazing...
gorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #30
Rannveig
Lives Near an Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Baby
Oh for god's sake, the world does not revolve around you.

Go see James Blunt, he thinks you're beautiful. And it's true.
Can't help but chuckle! Funny..funny..funny