Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 05-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
Liam 780
Eskimo Friend

Default probably just a rumour but...

did damien have a fight with pete doherty? I heard it somewhere but was sure it was just a rumour. is it?
Liam 780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Never heard that one. Don't know how they'd have met...

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
Luoooooooo
Eskimo Friend

i saw this on IMDB. i think it may be a fib, but who knows.

Watch out though mate, i have a feeling this thread dont have long to live!
Luoooooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #4
Liam 780
Eskimo Friend

I can't remember wer i heard it.I think a friend told me. would be cool if it were true though
Old 05-26-2006, 05:03 PM   #5
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Why would it be cool?
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:48 PM   #6
Nana
Eskimo Baby

Well... if he really did it, he would be more human and more lowbrow
Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #7
Liam 780
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
Why would it be cool?
Two talented beloved musicians of their genre going at it. All the makings of a classic.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam 780
Two talented beloved musicians of their genre going at it. All the makings of a classic.
I only count one talented musician

Still don't see the attraction...
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #9
cille
creepycute

who cares. pete d. doesn't seem to need other people to knock his scrawny ass out anyway.

Last edited by cille; 05-27-2006 at 09:49 PM.
cille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:58 PM   #10
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

People who ruin their lifes in front of a camera, celebrate that and buy themselves even more drugs from the money they get due to that plus from interviews have not only lost my sympathies, but also the respect for them as human beings.

Make Doherty History (Damon Albarn)
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:02 AM   #11
cille
creepycute

arh come on, he is probably just a really sad person who for some reason doesn't know how to not chose a path as self-destructive as the one he is on. even someone like that deserves to be respected as a human being, you know that. if only the media wouldn't hype this behaviour as much as they do. it's getting boring.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

But, Cille, he's not a child anymore and from what I know not stupid. All I'm sayin is, he choses to do that and therefore is responsible for himself. Right, he doesn't chose to be sad or depressive, but he has had so many chances to get off his self-destructive path. If I'd act like that for a long period someday one of my friends surely would deservedly kick me in the butt for being a moanin cu.nt who leaves out every chance to get back to a normal life. One day you got to take responsibility for yourself. And then you chose not to take offered help from others, like Pete, the conclusion is only one thing: bye bye. This, as harsh as it sounds, is the bitter truth.

The perverted thing is also that people who pay attention to him acutally lengthen his behaviour (media attention etc.) or at least it seems that way. We should care more about people with similar problems who don't celebrate taking drugs.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:56 PM   #13
cille
creepycute

omg i'm getting so fu**ing tired of that individualist ideology of free choice - as if personal choices were beyond all other patterns or influences (past or present) in people's life. nobody, not even an adult still stuck in such patterns, deserves not being respected as a human being - golly gosh, i myself have made som pretty stupid choices in my time, i'm pretty glad people around me didn't give up on me completely on basis of that. even people who keep taking wrong choices deserve at least some respect or compassion. a good kick in the butt from a friend when you're lost, as you say, is also a compassionate and respectful reaction to someone making poor choices. that is the opposite of giving up/dumping that person completely.
now, i don't really know the specific details in the pete d. case, and i don't really care, but i guess if i was a friend to someone in a similar sutuation it might be necessary to say 'bye bye' in order to not lose myself in that person's negative spiral of self-destructiveness. that wouldn't mean i'd lost all respect to that person as a human being or think of them as losers or any other demeanouring (sp?) chategory i could place them in, it would simply be a precaution to take care of myself. witha celeb such as doherty i have no personal involvement, so i kind of feel sorry for him and wish the press would stop feeding the beast, cause as you say, it seems this negative attention is keeping him going down that negative spiral. it's just sad, and not really all that interesting.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:52 PM   #14
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

I won't lose a tear over some poor junkie grown-up who wants to die (Doherty is intelligent enough to know that his behaviour finally leads into death, c'mon) in front of the camera and celebrates it. What do you make of someone who's always escaping out of his therapies? It's a complete farce. In an MTV interview he recently injected himself some of this drug crap and then splashed the syringe (filled with his own blood etc.) at the camera man and show master. What a joker. What do you make of such a clown, huh? He doesn't deserve our pity, every other junkie on this planet does, but not this ridiculous fool.

Making mistakes is okay. Cille, the difference is that you've realized your mistakes and finally took consequences. You don't take drugs, he does. He even celebrates it. And if he doesn't change his habits, he's dying very soon. It makes me angry that idiots like that even earn money with such stupid habits. Cobain, Hendrix or Staley would turn in their graves now, if they could see Doherty, even they didn't do that in front of the camera. It's so wrong, Pete is a slap in the face for every drug addict who wants to get off the black path.

Last edited by Hendrik; 05-28-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:21 PM   #15
Luoooooooo
Eskimo Friend

Hendrik, although i don't know much about you, you seem to be a person who cant accept it when they are wrong.

You have to realise that there are some people in life who are worse off than you, and can have severe mental and emotional problems you will never experience.

Give any drug addict a public face, and they will act the same way doherty would.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #16
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

No, I just disagree, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luoooooooo
Give any drug addict a public face, and they will act the same way doherty would.
No, if that's case we would have thousands of Dohertys. There are many, many media people who take drugs, but they don't do it in public and most of them fight their habit.

And what I find mostly disturbing is that Doherty still isn't locked up in a cell, where he belongs. Every crackhead gets a prison sentence, why not he? His rich friends kept him out?
Old 05-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #17
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik
I won't lose a tear over some poor junkie grown-up who wants to die (Doherty is intelligent enough to know that his behaviour finally leads into death, c'mon) in front of the camera and celebrates it. What do you make of someone who's always escaping out of his therapies? It's a complete farce. In an MTV interview he recently injected himself some of this drug crap and then splashed the syringe (filled with his own blood etc.) at the camera man and show master. What a joker. What do you make of such a clown, huh? He doesn't deserve our pity, every other junkie on this planet does, but not this ridiculous fool.

Making mistakes is okay. Cille, the difference is that you've realized your mistakes and finally took consequences. You don't take drugs, he does. He even celebrates it. And if he doesn't change his habits, he's dying very soon. It makes me angry that idiots like that even earn money with such stupid habits. Cobain, Hendrix or Staley would turn in their graves now, if they could see Doherty, even they didn't do that in front of the camera. It's so wrong, Pete is a slap in the face for every drug addict who wants to get off the black path.
the spiral of addiction is more complex than that, hendrik(x). i know you have been down yourself, and you got up wich is brilliant and i really really think you are strong to have been able to fight your deamons, not everyone is.

but who knows, if it doesn't kill him, doherty may one day also be able to fight the deamons that are currently keeping him down. if he is ever gonna be able to get to that point, the deamonising treatment he is getting from the media at the moment has got to stop. now, that would be interesting. all the stories of his insane behaviour (HELLO! addicts always behave insane, there's no news in that! just because hendrix/cobain/others were more 'private' about their addiction doesn't mean they didn't do similarly insane things) are just boring and useless.

actually, i've never heard a song with a pete doherty band. i only know him through the 'shocking' stories in music mags, etc., and they haven't made me any more interested in his music.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:33 PM   #18
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i think damien could take him
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:11 PM   #19
Luoooooooo
Eskimo Friend

didn't damien (allegedly) get into a fight in 2003 or something outside a nightclub?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:42 PM   #20
Bumpman

I don't know, it just sounds so interesting though... because Damien seems to have totally immersed himself in yob culture lately, I saw him beat a crippled child to death with a broom handle in the pub last week. you couldn't blame him though, because he was so out of his head on crack and junk that he was driving in the dark on the wrong side of a motorway with no headlights on in reverse with his head out the window while screaming about whatever.

He really is a terrible man for the ol' doing things that really happen.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:53 PM   #21
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luoooooooo
didn't damien (allegedly) get into a fight in 2003 or something outside a nightclub?

again, who cares.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:40 PM   #22
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

i bet he did... the divil inside him coming out, god know he needs some way to release his feelings due to lack of any album in 4 years.......
Old 05-29-2006, 12:26 AM   #23
Luoooooooo
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
again, who cares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
i bet he did...
Eskimo Forum members presumably...
Old 05-29-2006, 07:45 PM   #24
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

did i say i care? stop twisting words..
that's my job.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:45 PM   #25
pinkpinkmoon
the girl least likely to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
I don't know, it just sounds so interesting though... because Damien seems to have totally immersed himself in yob culture lately, I saw him beat a crippled child to death with a broom handle in the pub last week. you couldn't blame him though, because he was so out of his head on crack and junk that he was driving in the dark on the wrong side of a motorway with no headlights on in reverse with his head out the window while screaming about whatever.

He really is a terrible man for the ol' doing things that really happen.
hahaha i'm sorry that nobody else seemed to notice that this was the greatest thing ever written!!
pinkpinkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:47 PM   #26
cille
creepycute

maybe we are just getting too used to bumpman's brilliance - it sure is hilarious
Old 05-30-2006, 11:33 PM   #27
Bumpman

If you think that's brilliant you should check out The Revenge Of Thom... now that's funny.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:31 PM   #28
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

i never thought about what other skagheads would do if they had fame. But now that it's been mentioned. It made me think. Surely someone on drugs and all that will do absolutely anything to get their fix. and if that means starting a band and glorifying yourself then so beit. Pleanty o' drug users are fighting against money the same way as pete except they die in the ghettos yno, and they die by the hands of their dealers and they die out of starving or something. He just so happens to have the influence to start a band like babyshambles to pay off his dealers.

Do u reckon doherty deep inside wants to be an addict? no. but you tell that to my mate who reckons pete is the personification of rock and roll and rebelion ("excess ain't rebelion, you're buying what their selling"-cake). I absolutely blame the media. You ever met pete doherty? i haven't but everything i know about him is filtered, bent and skewed through media.

I don't think you can make a moral decision on pete doherty with the information available. Some things are more complex than right or wrong. for me drug taking is one, it's so much more complex, the time at which you start can be verry different to the time at which you have to deal with it. the kind of person pete doherty is, is something that is trapped beneath the quilted cover of addiction. it's Someone verry few people see and even less people have a right to judge.

As for damo, the impression i get is that he wouldn't do much to a fly. and getting in a fight outside a nightclub doesn't mean you started it. I think a scrap between pete doherty and damien rice is verry verry unlikely.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:04 AM   #29
aussiekid
Aussie Eskimo

i dont know that he has done nothing about it... didnt pete have an implant a while back to stop heroin having an effect? to help kick the habit?

how can we judge some1 we know little to nothing about, and like penguinboy said, the information we recieve is coming from the media...

did you hear angelina jolie had twins, but gave one to jennifer aniston to stop her going back to brad, then jennifer had a dna test done, revealing the true father... pete doherty, she had her suspisions when the baby started having withdrawal symptoms, and the fact that pete and angelina were on the same continent a little over 9 months ago... etc. i saw it on some show,

here in aus we dont get as much hype around pete, so i havent heard alot of these stories. sometimes being a decade behind is a good thing...

- mic
aussiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:07 PM   #30
Bumpman

I sometimes wonder how we keep threads like this going for this long. In other forums there's the two post method;

Newbie says: "I heard that (whatever) happened"

Mod says: "That's because you're stupid"