Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 02-22-2004, 03:34 AM   #1
celia
Eskimo Regular

Hi,

Was anyone here at the Staurday Brixton Gig. It was my first time seeing Damien and it was totally amazing. Was right at the front and the whole Band were fantastic. There were some idiots at the back chatting and shouting and Damien had a go at them last night...

"To the people who are chatting, I'll pay you £15+booking fee to leave" Someone shouted out I LOVE YOU DAMIEN... He said "well if you love me you'd listen to the song. He also said something about ppl farting on the tubes and ot was a shame that some of those ppl were at the gig tonight...haha.

he did later appologise for being in a bad mood and that he wasn't coping very well with doing bigger venues.

The set list was amazing! I was so glad he played Women Like A Man thats one of my favouitres. Every song sounds sooo much better live.

Very magical atmosphere. Beautiful!!!!
Old 02-22-2004, 04:19 AM   #2
faceless freak
Eskimo Baby

For the most part the gig was excellent, damien & the band were in top form. its a pity it took most of the gig for the crowd to really get into it. it was my first time seeing damien and i did enjoy the evening however i'm one of the people that found the chatting and the screaming annoying and for a while it did annoy me i must admit but i suppose its to be expected. Personally i'm glad damien was so outspoken about it to be honest. ive had baby sister in my head all morning
faceless freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 05:41 AM   #3
celia
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceless freak

Personally i'm glad damien was so outspoken about it to be honest. ive had baby sister in my head all morning

oh good, so was I! A lot of people think he came accross as arrogant and moany, but I;m glad he told them to shut up! COs it was ruining the night for people who came to LISTEN!!! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2004, 05:56 AM   #4
damofan
Eskimo Regular

i went on fri and there were soen twats shouting. drunk ejits1 he said nothing but people from the crowd told em to pipe down!!!
damofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 06:41 AM   #5
Petra
Eskimo Regular

Heard a lot of people talking about damiens negative reaction to the idiots who for some bizarre reason seem intent on spoiling his gigs. They were doing the same thing on friday night but damien just ignored them and carried on singing. In fact it was quite moving 'cos as he was being drowned out by the swearing drunks people quietly starting singing hallelujah with him, not so loud so that damien couldnt be heard but just loud enough to show the idiots that we were ignoring them.
Petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 06:46 AM   #6
prague
Eskimo Friend

Saturday gig was amazing. I am choosing to blot out the crowd v's DR memories and dwell only on the 99.9% of the gig that was fabulous. (I may also choose to blot out the support acts. Tresspassers have a good sound, but I think they played variations of the same song 5 times. The Moose dance was 95% hand. Even I could do that.)

Anyway, I need a little help. I recognised almost all of the songs (Volcano, The Blower's Daughter, Amie, Cold Water, I Remember, Eskimo, Hallelujah, Woman Like a Man, Silent Night, Prague, Seven Nation Army (Vyvienne), Star Star (by The Frames). I have probably missed a few that I knew, so someone please add them. But I really need to know the few I didn't recognise, including the first song and one towards the end.
prague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 07:37 AM   #7
faceless freak
Eskimo Baby

what was the first song?

i knew all by that
faceless freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 08:52 AM   #8
celia
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

what was the first song?

i knew all by that

yeah thats what I wanted to know! thats prob the only one I didnt know...

didnt he play Baby sister? I think....and the other one that lisasang...
Old 02-22-2004, 11:39 AM   #9
DopeyDylan
Eskimo Friend

Quote:

what was the first song?

i knew all by that
The first song was called 'Insane'. Its a rarer track known for being performed on KCRW and released as an MP3 for a short while.

Awesome song!
DopeyDylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 11:43 AM   #10
DopeyDylan
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by celia
Quote:

what was the first song?

i knew all by that

yeah thats what I wanted to know! thats prob the only one I didnt know...

didnt he play Baby sister? I think....and the other one that lisa*sang...*
Yep... Baby sister got played.... that was the one he told a little of the story behind it.... 2 kids whos mum had died, dad got back from the pub, and each of the kids hoped the dad wouldn't go into their room....

The song Lisa did all the singing on is called 'Then Go'. I first heard that at the Union Chapel gig.... mind bendingly good! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2004, 11:43 AM   #11
prague
Eskimo Friend

Thanks DopeyDylan. I also had a problem with one towards the end of the show, but can't recall the lyrics. Any idea? Sorry I'm so vague. They say I'll grow out of it, but I'm 30 now.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:28 PM   #12
brokenheart
Eskimo Regular

I was in the gig last night, at firstI was almost on heart attack because of the long queue,have to admit thatDamien and the restare awesome, Vyvienne's version of Seven Nation Army was my hightlight for the whole night and honesty, "nobody can play cello quiet as good as she (Vyvienne)", I think the best they have saved for the last - Colde Water then straight to Hallelujah then finished off with Lisa's version of Silent Night (very surprise they played that because I wasn't expect that).

Few disrespect people were shouting at the back and Damien was doing the good job to told them off.

I tried to figure out the set list, couple of songs i don't recognise so I need some help but thats the list:

Insane

Woman Like A Man

Blower's Daughter

Amie

(unkown song, probably Star Star)

Then Go

Baby Sister

Prague

Volcano

Eskimo

I remember

7 Nations Army

Cannonball

(unknown song)

Cold Water

Hallelujah

Slient Night

only thing that disappointed me was that he didn't play The Professor and Sand, but I won't expect he will play Sand. For the support band, Tresspresser was really good, Moose Dance was weired though but good entertainment nevertheless.
As I always wished to be - one with the waves
Ocean Soul

"Ocean Soul-Nightwish"
brokenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 02:58 PM   #13
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

I went over to it on Saturday night. Was standing at the back of the venue and was surrounded by those "people". If they are reading this, I'd like to say thanks to them for wrecking it. Damien is so much better live than he was on Sat night. It's good he wants to go back to the smaller venues.
Until then.....
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 03:01 PM   #14
prague
Eskimo Friend

Oh Brokenheart. Your (unknown song) and mine are the same. Need outside help.

Old 02-22-2004, 03:26 PM   #15
Smithy
Eskimo Regular

Having the idiot close by me to the back trying to shout over silent night was perhaps the thing that appalled me the most.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:35 PM   #16
bunique
Eskimo Baby

He played Tongue...the one that goes "This one's for me"... I think that was the one nearer the beginning...then Star Star was in the encore? Can't remember exactly. And he played Face? ("Cos I adoooooooore...." etc)Or so I've just been told but my memories shot to bits. The pissed-up crowd last night were an absolute disgrace.I saw Damo at Leeds in October and the crowd were so much more respectful, he was more relaxed and even though Lisa wasn't there the songs were incredibly moving. Last night, everytime the most emotional parts of the songs were coming up some prick thought it'd be a good idea to start screaming. WTF is up with these people? [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]I dunno if they'd just grabbed tickets off touts when they crawled out the pub but for Christ's sake...have some respect eh? The band were on top form though...absolutely blinding gig, despite the twats at the back, and he played Insane!! And Baby Sister and and and...! Shame he didn't play The Professor though, but the rest more than made up for it. He was right last night though, if the price of being more popular is reactions like he got last night, I can't wait for him to go back to smaller venues. To those people who thought he was arrogant in his responses...how the chuff would you like it if someone screamed their way through songs you'd put your heart and soul into? Just hoping it doesn't put him off or we'll never see that mythical second album!Here's to the next time!
bunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 04:53 PM   #17
patch22
Eskimo Regular

dont think he played face on sat...... the rocky one was a new version of tounge though...... it was the audio track that played before insane so im guessing its gonna be on the new album...... insane was awsome!!!! my fave dr track!!! amazing night but i hate the w**kers!!!! i hate them!!! i hope damien and the guys start to play smaller venues again now. or at least there should be some sort of test before your allowed into the venue.....keep em out the souless bitches xxxxx
patch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 05:20 PM   #18
JamesD
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenheart

(unknown song)

Cold Water

Hallelujah

He did the same thing on Friday, and something similar at the Bam gig, Vicar St. The unknown song is the first verse and chorus to Eve, the Apple of my eye.Then this weekend, instead of going into the second verse, he starts Cold Water. I was so pleased to hear it that I cheered when he started and had a few people spin round as if to say "What thehell are you cheering for?"

I apologise.. [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Edited by: JamesD
Old 02-23-2004, 06:41 AM   #19
Damien Ricicle
Eskimo Friend

Was a great night, flew over from Dublin with 2 friends and took 2 other friends whose initial impression (on CD i burned them) was that he sounded like David G**y.

Was my xmas present to my friends(ticket to brixton). My 2 friends I took love DR anyway but wasnt too hopeful my other london buddies would enjoy.

They were really impressed and they are used to the 'london crowds' so they thought that any form of silence he got was amazing for a gig in the capital. Anyway, they really loved it more than they thought they would so I am a happy bunny now. Personally the chatters spoiled it a few times but I wasnt expecting anything else, but ignoring that fact I totally enjoyed my 3rd DR gig in as many months.

Highlights were probably Volcano, Eskimo, W-L-a-Man and the ground that Lisa H walks on.

Mission Completed
Damien Ricicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:58 AM   #20
Awaywithefaries
Eskimo Baby

[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

It really got to me when he was trying to sing Hallelujah on Friday night and that big bunch of people wouldn't shut up! I was so mad at them but I didn't realise it upset him too, now I'm even madder![img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

I hope he doesn't get put off doing larger crowds cos he's gonna become so HUGELY popular that tickets will be MAJORLY hard to get!!!

I don't really know if I should add this in this message board but...

I don't really know that much about Damien, other than every single word to every song on O cos I've been listening to it since I got it last summer. And the first time I knew what he looked like was Friday night's concert. So... I've figured out the names of the songs they performed that I didn't recognise by looking at the lyrics page. Now, what I want to know is are all of those other songs old or new? Will they be on the new album? Basically... how can I get ma grubby little hands on em???

Cheers!!! x [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Awaywithefaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:15 AM   #21
DopeyDylan
Eskimo Friend

'Tongue' was the song before 'Then Go' if I remember right...

The song/intro to 'Cold Water' was the only bit I didn't recognise.... I'd never heard that before, but it blew my socks off! Unabashed has it down as 'Never' Here! in this post .... can anyone help us with it? I'd place money on it being a Damo composition coz the guitar chords were the same as 'Cold Water'. Anyone got the lyrics?

'Star Star' is 'The Frames' song that he played a bit of between Cold Water and Hallelujah I think?!?!

Also, hats off to Damo for his Hallelujah, even tho he'd bust a string before he started.... he wasn't phased.... AMAZING sir.... A-MAZING!
Old 02-23-2004, 10:44 AM   #22
Damien Ricicle
Eskimo Friend

I think he said at Vicar st the other week that he originally wrote it for his 1st band Juniper, it never got released(dont quote me on that) so he took the tune and turned it into Cold Water. He was therefore playing the original song 1st few verses and then merged into Cold Water as essentially the foundation of the song is the same.
Damien Ricicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 04:38 AM   #23
krooz
Eskimo Baby

Dopey Dylan - as James D pointed out earlier in the thread - you musta missed it - the intro to cold water was a track called eve, the apple of my eye. Bell X1 also perform it live (where the song first came to my attention.)

Its a great great track and was chuffed when damo played some of it!

krooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:51 AM   #24
DopeyDylan
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooz

Dopey Dylan - as James D pointed out earlier in the thread - you musta missed it - the intro to cold water was a track called eve, the apple of my eye. Bell X1 also perform it live (where the song first came to my attention.)

Its a great great track and was chuffed when damo played some of it!

Sorry JamesD for missing ya post, and thanks Krooz!

I'll try and find a copy of that!

Cheers! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2004, 03:16 AM   #25
krooz
Eskimo Baby

np - i have a bellx1 live version on a bell x1 /Viels promo cd that was given away free on their joint tour - shouldn't be too difficult to locate [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
krooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:28 AM   #26
maxmaxmilan
Eskimo Baby

Apologies for the swearing I'm about to do but what a breath of f**king fresh air this message board is. I went to the gigin brixton on thesaturday, and was blown away, so naturally wanted to talk about it but I've found nothing but abuse on the official message board. All i can say is thank god this site went down for a while so some of you guys went onto damienrice.com and i found out that this place existed...

couldnt agree more about the smaller gigs - although that comment made me real sad when he first said it cos it showed how pissed off he must've been.

anyway, thanks guys for keeping a message board how it should be.
maxmaxmilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:32 AM   #27
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

Welcome here maxmaxmilan! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img](can I call you max?)[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:42 AM   #28
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmaxmilan

Apologies for the swearing I'm about to do but what a breath of f**king fresh air this message board is. I went to the gig*in brixton on the*saturday, and was blown away, so naturally wanted to talk about it but I've found nothing but abuse on the official message board. All i can say is thank god this site went down for a while so some of you guys went onto damienrice.com and i found out that this place existed...

couldnt agree more about the smaller gigs - although that comment made me real sad when he first said it cos it showed how pissed off he must've been.

anyway, thanks guys for keeping a message board how it should be.

Yes welcome to the best Damien Rice site
[img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 06:39 AM   #29
celia
Eskimo Regular

Yeha I agree...the message board over at damienrice.com was the first place I went to and all they do is argue!

Much better here!!! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]