Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 12-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
purebloom
Eskimo Friend

Default Purchasing/Renting a Viola

Hello -

I was looking into buying my first viola... and I am faced with the problem of what to go with.

Firstly, money is tight and although I'd like to spend big bucks I just can't. Secondly, I don't want a toy viola, I want something that I can actually learn on and is a great price to quality ratio.

I was looking at one on musiciansfriend for 150.00, I know in terms of a viola this is dirt cheap... like I said, I am a beginner and need something to start out on. However, I also was looking at a website called www.stringworks.com, and they have some very nice violins, violas and cellos (that's what they specialize in and actually all they have). They also have a rent to own program and the viola comes in at 19.00 / month.

These look a lot better and would allow me to try it out a bit first atleast. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Stringworks Crescendo Viola?

Also, the one on musiciansfriend was a Palatino VA-450 Viola Outfit... has anyone tried either?

Thanks in advance!
purebloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:04 AM   #2
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

are then any shops around you that rent to own? its your best bet. you can pay monthly or however the payment plan is and usually you can for a few bucks extra get a warrenty where if anything goes wrong on it they'll replace it for you. i've seen kids at school break their instruments in half had them repaired for free. i'd look into that if you could
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
liswyn
Eskimo Regular

I don't play the viola, so you probably shouldn't take what I say too seriously, but all this is all just based on my own experience as a violin and cello player.

I agree that your safest bet is to find a viola from a shop instead of buying online. Renting is a good idea, most places charge once for three months' rental. Then once you've learned the basics, you can head out and try out the violas in the shops on your own to select the one which you like the best and is comfortable for playing. It's a bit risky choosing an instrument when you can't play it well enough to know the difference between a good one and a bad one.

Also, as far as I know, stringworks is pretty reputable. You can also check out Eastman Strings , which is currently one of the best beginner ranges out there. Very good quality at affordable prices. I don't know about violas, but their Andreas Eastman cellos sound amazing for the price.

One more thing... i was just wondering why you chose to play the viola. I can't seem to bring myself to learn that instrument somehow... a bit too... 'in the middle' for me. But I still think it's a great instrument... all strings are!
liswyn is offline   Reply With Quote