Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 09-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
Samart
Nothing unusual...

Default Damien Rice and Ecology

As far as I know, he never wear leather.
His guitar straps are made of tissu and his belt is made with fabric.

I heard he choose buses which don't pollute too much when he have to use it for touring. Is it true or not ?

Do you know others trivia about this side of his personality ?
Samart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

He doesn't fart methane.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
Airofdecember
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samart

I heard he choose buses which don't pollute too much when he have to use it for touring. Is it true or not ?

Busses, though a necessary part of touring unless you indulge in a jet airliner (talk about consumption), don't get the gas mileage of your smaller imports that we all try and ride around in, if not for the sake of ecology, but for the sake of personal economic stability.

As far as him not wearing leather, I would disagree that this is statement ecologically. There was no more an ecological culture that I'm aware of in the last 500 years than that of the Native Americans. Leather was a staple textile, meat a staple food, etc ... EVERYTHING was used and nothing wasted. Of course the earth was cherished and often given god or godesslike status. Anyhow ... just my perspective. He's a sharp dressed man regardless, and I'm sure ecologically concious, as we all should be.

Last edited by Airofdecember; 09-12-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Airofdecember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
He doesn't fart methane.
spontaneous combustion?

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Rai
Eskimontologist

His lungs actually produce oxygen from carbon-dioxyde and when he goes to the hairdresser, the hair cut from his head becomes a live specimen of an endangered species of squirrel.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"

Last edited by Rai; 09-12-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samart

Ya, I'm sure some other people around here may know a few details....but I unfortunately don't know any details, just that he is a self-professed hippy. All I know is that he's a vegetarian of some sort, and seems to be concerned about the environment, and is releasing a cd with friends to benefit the environment

and I may be wrong (?)..... but even though this is his private and personal life, I would think this may be one area he wouldn't mind people discussing

Last edited by Lindsay; 09-12-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:49 AM   #7
Lady
Eskimo Friend

it is a luxury to be able to afford to be a hippy.
as i have always maintained, in order to omit the harmful you must be ablt to embrace the mundane.one is entiltled to as many previledges as one can afford just as long as they donet have to pay for them. in order to exist, one must live. and in order to live, one must extend the branch of respect.
if you decidce to be principled, it is because you can afford to be. reality = being pissed off and ungracious if you need to be.
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:52 AM   #8
Lady
Eskimo Friend

oh, and yes, he is a big fat hippy, vegetarian food rules, gang of people geting together to record stuff for the album, will be fab. xx
his shirt is manufactured from nettles and they dictate the maturation of all his other herbs.
much love on this most INauspicious of days.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:53 AM   #9
Lady
Eskimo Friend

WHAT?

apologies. xx
Old 09-13-2007, 02:17 AM   #10
Airofdecember
Eskimo Friend

I kind of liked it! ^ here here! *reaches for murphy's*
Old 09-13-2007, 03:41 AM   #11
A2_Blue
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
His lungs actually produce oxygen from carbon-dioxyde and when he goes to the hairdresser, the hair cut from his head becomes a live specimen of an endangered species of squirrel.
LOL sounds like one of those lame Chuck Norris jokes.
A2_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:42 AM   #12
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady
as i have always maintained, in order to omit the harmful you must be ablt to embrace the mundane.one is entiltled to as many previledges as one can afford just as long as they donet have to pay for them. in order to exist, one must live. and in order to live, one must extend the branch of respect.
if you decidce to be principled, it is because you can afford to be. reality = being pissed off and ungracious if you need to be.

oh, and yes, he is a big fat hippy, vegetarian food rules, gang of people geting together to record stuff for the album, will be fab. xx
his shirt is manufactured from nettles and they dictate the maturation of all his other herbs.
much love on this most INauspicious of days.

WHAT?

apologies. xx
who are you talking to
Old 09-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #13
Sniffer
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay
who are you talking to
Maybe the voices in her head. Maybe she's drunk. Maybe both.
Sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:04 AM   #14
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

http://stopglobalwarming.msn.com/art...9366&GT1=10025
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:33 PM   #15
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

I heard his women of choice, were the ones named after anime movies.

Just stating the facts.
hehe

http://www.myspace.com/5859320
MacrossGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #16
Ligi
Adore Adore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
hahahha!
Old 09-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #17
elephantintheroom
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
Thank you for this. A little insight! I'm envisioning 6-year-old Damien making notes about fishing, and my heart melts a little bit (more).
elephantintheroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:58 AM   #18
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
this is true
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantintheroom
Thank you for this. A little insight! I'm envisioning 6-year-old Damien making notes about fishing, and my heart melts a little bit (more).
you're welcome. i just pulled it from the interview section on this site. i always enjoy the fishing stories too

i thought it was really impressive when i found out that he not only offsets emissions for the band and crew, but also for the audience by estimating how far they have to travel to see his shows.. that's just going above and beyond, isn't it?
Old 09-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #19
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniffer
Maybe the voices in her head. Maybe she's drunk. Maybe both.
ya I wasn't too sure
Quote:
thank you
Quote:
if this is a sincere statement, I disagree
Old 09-18-2007, 12:21 AM   #20
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay
ya I wasn't too sure

thank you

if this is a sincere statement, I disagree
you're welcome

did you grow up poor or privileged? because i think you have to have experienced not being privileged to understand what she's saying..

also, do you believe in universal truth? or that subjective reality dictates truth and what is right and wrong

just wondering
Old 09-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #21
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
did you grow up poor or privileged? because i think you have to have experienced not being privileged to understand what she's saying..
Well I think that I'm also able to gain understanding from strong arguments or by learning from other people's experiences......I don't think someone in a remote African village, living off a few dollars a day would say it's difficult to live a hippy/environmentally friendly lifestyle....
but if it helps.....no, relative to N. American standards, I did not grow up privileged.
but I acknowledge that it's not a fully explained argument....I was just stating for the record that I don't agree with what's written
Quote:
also, do you believe in universal truth? or that subjective reality dictates truth and what is right and wrong
Well I don't believe in either strictly. Depending on the topic, but I guess generally I believe that guiding ranked principles can be established, while considering the context. But as it applies to this topic, I wouldn't say there is anything subjective or relative with regards to dollars and cents.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #22
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

Quote:
it is a luxury to be able to afford to be a hippy
i agree 100%, and that's true for all kinds of hippies. i know a lot of "hippies" that spend $500 at abercrombie and fitch for a t-shirt, a leather belt and a pair of torn jeans, then drive around in their big suv's and ask everyone around them to call them hippies. they look good tho, and smell nice too. and then there's also the poor filthy hippie that lives off their friends, buys stained thrift store clothes and can't afford organic food, poor wittle hippie. i don't know about other countries, but organic food is really expensive in america, compared with the toxic mutant walmart produce, i even think i once saw a cucumber that had eyes, hair and an appendage that might've been a nose, i didn't buy it coz i didn't like its attitude
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #23
Airofdecember
Eskimo Friend

Regardless, someone like DR can afford to make more earth friendly decisions a lot easier than the global lower middle class (where I think I fall). This doesn't mean that the sacrifices can't be made, it just means it's going to hurt to buy that organic produce, or spend extra for a hybrid vehicle, or that energy efficient refridgerator. Of course we can all do something. Support local farmers, Re-Use .. etc.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:05 AM   #24
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

honestly, i think he's almost too concerned for the environment.. i'll bet he takes a big financial hit for being so eco-friendly with his tours and such and well, i just think he worries too much about it. that comment he made at one of the recent gigs where he said they drove biodiesel-fueled tour buses but the tractors that provided the fuel probably ran on gas.. i mean i'm pro-earth and everything but there are just too many layers that you could drive yourself nuts about there..

one man can only do so much damien!