Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 10-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #31
melodie
mmm bop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarific View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_xTicJDzx4 Okay, here's my shoddy partial recording of about a minute of Then Go!

Sorry I didn't get the whole thing. I was a) wanting to enjoy the moment and b) at the time I was recording, I wanted to save my phone battery for possible later songs (which it turned out I didn't need, oops.)
thank you! i've been watching those clips over and over, it makes me so sad that he was feeling so uncomfortable and unwell. i also hadn't realised at the time that the last line he sang was "i never meant to let you down". :'(
melodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #32
melodie
mmm bop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarific View Post
Finally back home. After waiting so long, I was really glad for what we saw. Then Go absolutely floored me. I have about a minute long clip of Then Go audio recorded but the video attached is crap since I was up in the boonies. I'll try to upload it somewhere when I'm less sleepy/can figure out how to get it off my phone. (Unless someone with a better recording than me beats me to it, in which case um.......yeah.)

Most annoying part of the show for me weirdly was not the fact that it ended prematurely but some jerk in the upper balcony had a camera with a FULL FLASH on it that was going off every 30 seconds. A few times it looked like the flash went off and then Damo visibly was uncomfortable afterwards, which I mean...if he wasn't feeling well and was getting dizzy? The lights were REALLY low, so I imagine that had to be really jarring.

Really, I was more ticked off about that than anything else. I can forgive Damien for being sick, happens to the best of us, but the constant flashbulb really put a damper on things.

Hoping for a reschedule but if it doesn't happen, I can at least say I saw Damien play. It was still pretty magical, however brief, and I LOVED hearing him do Then Go, because that's always been one of my favorites. I Don't Want To Change You was absolutely enchanting.
i agree, i couldn't believe people were still using flash even after he told us he was sick. he seemed to have his eyes closed the whole time and i wouldn't be surprised if that had a little something to do with it.

i was also kind of annoyed at the number of very casual fans around me. before the show, one guy behind me was reciting the previous gigs' setlists (which i really didn't want to hear), and going "don't know that one, never heard that one, i think that's his most popular one, don't know that one", etc. two girls next to me also showed up late, then complained that he "only played three songs". urgh.
melodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #33
signalfire
Eskimo Regular

How horrible about the flash. My friend said the lighting was iffy, but man, unless you're close, your flash is not going to do a thing. In the balcony? Likely useless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodie View Post
i was also kind of annoyed at the number of very casual fans around me. before the show, one guy behind me was reciting the previous gigs' setlists (which i really didn't want to hear), and going "don't know that one, never heard that one, i think that's his most popular one, don't know that one", etc. two girls next to me also showed up late, then complained that he "only played three songs". urgh.
One time I went to a Lisa show, and I stood next to two hipsters. One actually said to the other, "What's your favorite Damien Rice song? Mine is 'Your Body is a Wonderland.'" Dead serious.
signalfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #34
Circa1992
Eskimo Regular

It amazes me that he can still sound SO good even when he's that ill. If only I had a fraction of that talent...

I truly understand that people were/are very disappointed (and I would be too as I've never seen him live yet and am incredibly excited to do so), however, to be pissed and resort to name-calling because Damien was too sick to continue just speaks to their lack of empathy and a self-centered nature. Obviously the man gave it his all and I applaud him for his effort.
Circa1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #35
ashleyz
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalfire View Post
One time I went to a Lisa show, and I stood next to two hipsters. One actually said to the other, "What's your favorite Damien Rice song? Mine is 'Your Body is a Wonderland.'" Dead serious.
I would have freaked out if I heard that.
ashleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #36
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodie View Post
thank you! i've been watching those clips over and over, it makes me so sad that he was feeling so uncomfortable and unwell. i also hadn't realised at the time that the last line he sang was "i never meant to let you down". :'(
Yeah! My boyfriend actually made the comment during the song that he thought that would be the last one because of what it was. (E.g. "Am I the greatest bastard for leaving early?")

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalfire
How horrible about the flash. My friend said the lighting was iffy, but man, unless you're close, your flash is not going to do a thing. In the balcony? Likely useless!
The thing that really aggravated me too was that it wasn't just a phone camera flash, it was like a full external flash that you might see on an SLR. It was like lightning going off every time the person took a picture, which they did every 30 seconds or so.

Also re: people not knowing who people are, when we went to see Glen a few years ago at a free outdoor show, this girl sitting next to us had told her boyfriend (clearly a newer boyfriend...) that Glen was her FAVORITE ARTIST EVER and he had brought her to surprise her. During the show she proceeded to a) not know any of his solo songs, b) not know who Lisa was, c) didn't know who the frames were and the two of them ended up leaving early. I was like ?????? Girl clearly was trying to impress the guy, but he had no idea who Glen was whatsoever.

I also get really confused when people say they know Damien but don't know Lisa. Like, she's an amazing lady!! Go educate yourselves!!

Last edited by mandarific; 10-15-2014 at 04:09 PM.
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #37
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Thank you for Then Go!! One of my favorites and I don't have many recordings of him singing it!
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #38
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Also that flash was making a lot of noise. I'm glad he is rescheduling that would've ruined it had he continued.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #39
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Photographers are arseholes sometimes. In my experience they can be pretty selfish about getting their shot regardless of them ruining the mood for everyone else. And if you say anything to them they get super defensive. If they do the same thing at the next show just report them to the people who work there.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #40
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

We had flashes like crazy in LA, too. You're in an almost pitch-black cavernous church. Your flash photos in the balcony are going to look like **** and you're just lighting up the whole venue each time you click. It was incredibly distracting for us with our backs to it and I can only imagine how much worse it was for him. Totally kills the vibe of the show. Even when I was recording on my phone, I tried to cover as much of the screen as I could with my hand.
tessalasset is offline   Reply With Quote