Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 07-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
A Girl That Does Yoga
Eskimo Friend

Default Belated - but huge! - Prague show review

Sorry for the late review of show - I was in Prague for a week after the concert finished and I did not want to spend my time there on internet much. But I thought people might be interested even now, a week and a half after the concert as it was amazing one
So, it started around half past 8 I think – I am not sure as we came to Roxy at 7, so we lost track in time. We found seats in the first row, luckily. I was very excited when, finally, Damien stepped at the stage as I could not believe I was finally seeing him live. (honestly, I did not think it will ever happen) He started with a story of a young Irish man who won lottery and how he was wondering what it must be for a person that young o win that big amount of money. But, he continued, it is kind of like that for men everyday as they have to deal with a millions of sperm and that this song was about not being able to deal with it quite well – and then he started to play The Professor.
I can’t remember the exact setlist (it was kind of the same as in Paris), but it was a few songs before he told us a story again. It was – more or less – about masturbation and it was so hilarious. He even mentioned that, if someone feels like it, they can go to toilet that very moment. I even thought he will play Me, My Yoke and I, but he told then that the song he will play has nothing to do with it and he started the Volcano. The stage was quite high so it was impossible for a whole audience to climp up on it, but he told which part of the venue will sing which part at the end of a song so we could finish it up with “a big orgasm”. He told a story about buildings and architecture before Older Chests and a very lovely story about Coconut Skins – he mentioned that once he lays down, dying, no matter how many people are there around him he will be alone and all that he was afraid of will not matter at all and that that song is about that, about being free of all fears and being you. Wild and Free (The Box) was presented as a new song and told that his goal is to go wild until the end of the year. 9 crimes, Rootless Tree and Accidental babies he played at the piano and, as in Paris, he played unplugged version of Cannonball (I shed a few tears at that one :P) and Cold Water at the complete dark (finished it with Hallelujah). Somewhere at the middle of the concert, I think while he played Woman like a Man, his string broke so he changed it at the stage, explaining how it all works.
For Cheers Darlin’ he called a girl from the audience and they shared a bottle of wine while he told a story behind the song. When he sang “You give me three cigarettes to smoke my tears away” he asked if someone has cigarettes, so I jumped in and gave them (what a fangirl moment I had – my hands were shaking so hard I could barely light the cigarettes up!) When he finished the song and a girl – Rebecca – left the stage, he asked what cigarettes are those as I smoked Black Devil chocolate flavor at the time and told me the smoking is bad for me :P
I am not sure if he planned to go out twice on the stage, but we all clapped so hard that he did. The second time he asked if someone at the audience was a musician, so he called one boy up and gave him the guitar to play one song, while he set down and smiled. (I must add that the boy, I think his name was Tomaš, was really good!) He played Amie when few people asked and he told us another story about the song (it also featured story of the sperm :P) about his friend with whom he had quite a close relationship so once when he was raining she told him he can stay at her place and he thought they will sleep together and that she told him he can watch the starts and left the room – so he wrote the song about it all (“I saw a spaceship fly by your window” finally made sense then!) He asked what the weather was like and, as it wasn’t raining, told us to come to Charles bridge that, after he says hello to his friends and changes the shirt, he will come to play bit more. He also played Prague when we asked for it, although he did not play it in awhile, and he finished “the main show” after The Blower’s Daughter.
So, we went outside to wait for him (some people went to Charles Bridge right away) and after some time he came out, went to hotel to leave stuff, and we all went to the bridge together (it kind of looked like a big excursion, when kids follow a teacher).

“The show” at the bridge lasted for about 2 hours more I think – he played some songs and the crowd played some for him too. There he did not talk much, just a few times with a crowd (like asking where all the people are from – he seemed surprised and/or pleased to hear some guys came from London and that we came from Belgrade to hear him) First song played was Stand by Me, and there were some more cult songs like Imagine and Wish you were here. Crowd played few Czech songs and he played Irish one for us (I later asked him which one it was – it was “Green Fields of France”). Of his songs he played Insane and If you leave me now, as well as another new song (there’s a video of it on the youtube, I need to find it) and at the end he played Gray Room (perhaps my favourite part of the evening as it perhaps my most favourite song of his). He did not want to take pictures as everyone would want one (there was around 100 people there, it would take hours 8|). He shared few words with few of us – I asked him if he will come to Belgrade (he said “probably” 8D) and friend and I shook his hand and thanked him.
The conclusion is – it was one of the best nights in my life and most certainly the best concert ever! Not only because he is one of my favourite musicians, but because he sounds so amazing live, because he can make such a great atmosphere and because he was so dear and amazing to all of us! I can’t imagine any other of the musicians I listen to (except maybe Lisa ) who be so… normal (can’t find better English word for it now) and indirect and who would play for two more hours after the show of two and a half hours was over! He swept me off my feet with all of it, it was even better than I expected it to be!

(again, sorry because it took me so much time to post this and sorry because it is so long – I just could not shorten it and I think you can see why :P I have some pictures, but at the moment I’m at Greece so I will post them later )
A Girl That Does Yoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Wow. Incredible. So glad you got to have such an awesome night.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
genia
Eskimo Friend

Amazing review......thanks so much...it's so nice to read these reviews for us here in the States drooling...thanks again and don't forget the pics.
genia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
A Girl That Does Yoga
Eskimo Friend

As promised, pictures Sorry for waiting and sorry they are not too good - I had no idea security will be so laid back otherwise I would bring my semi-professional camera :S

Here he was changing a broken string

And these are from the bridge

I love his smile here

I have lots more, but my facebook page is private, so I can't post the link for album sorry :/
A Girl That Does Yoga is offline   Reply With Quote