Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 06:32 PM   #1
The Kitten
Eskimo Regular

A gig that was taped so I think we can expect to see it either on DVD or CD in the near future. Was pretty commercial and not a patch on the December 15, 2003 gig - did all the usual songs with a couple of newish ones including Face. Didn't do Woman Like a Man or Prague, and no sign of The Blowers Daughter Part 2, Sand or Insane. Did Never by Paul Noonan of Bell X1 which was a welcome suprise.

First support act were pretty good but the Swedish Dance Muppets were absolute sh*te! Damien came on around 9.20 and finished up around 11.15 - Vivienne did Seven Nation Army and the usual dickheads clapped during it (maybe at a White Stripes gig but not when you're trying to appreciate a chellist as shy as Vivienne). The 'Witness' fans were out in force and we even got a rendition of One More Song from a pack of w*nkers sitting in the middle of the floor - are we listening to a taping of 'Set List' a bit too much.

Couple of w*anker hecklers in the crowd as well - and fair play to the bird who told them to shut up!

You didn't miss much guys, certainly not if you've been to a DR gig in the last 6 months.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:39 PM   #2
cartman
Eskimo Regular

that was a delight,

thanks for not makin me feel sh*tty for not going
Old 02-02-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

well said kitten... i hate when u get arseholes at gigs... but its not great to read that when ur goin tomorrow night[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

my mate rang me during "tongue" which sounded amazing... was there many unreleased songs or just the usual stick to the album stuff?

oh and i cant believe they sold tickets at the door... i was about to go but im broke[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2004, 08:00 PM   #4
cnpubwear
Eskimo Regular

i hate clapping during songs too but i have a lot of boots and vivienne encourages it.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:32 PM   #5
Burningman
Eskimo Friend

rough setlist anyone ?

us americans would like to know just what we are missing out on and how good your guys have it over there.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:40 PM   #6
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i dont think we have it any better at all really... pretty much the same setlist if im not mistaken...
Old 02-03-2004, 01:56 AM   #7
willa
Eskimo Baby

Kitten, I just read this email and felt compelled to write back and tell you what a muppet you are.

"- Vivienne did Seven Nation Army and the usual dickheads clapped during it" - That song is a fantastic stomping song, in my opinion it is better than the original. A song like that gives you a natural reaction to stamp your feet / clap your hands. Thats what music does to you.

I think you have got yourself confused with a small intimate gig. Let me remind you that is was a sell out large venue with a full live band.

"The 'Witness' fans were out in force and we even got a rendition of One More Song from a pack of w*nkers sitting in the middle of the floor - are we listening to a taping of 'Set List' a bit too much." - what are you talking about?! What about the f**king cardigans like you who just keep quiet and tell everybody else to shutup. Audienceand Band banter are some of the little things that make a gig more memorable.

Dont get me wrong - I ama huge fan, in fact I even travelled to the uk last year to see some shows as I think they are the best live act I have ever experienced. On top of that I dont partake in any of the disgracful "clapping" nor was I one of the joyful fans having a laugh asking for one more song - shame on them.

You have to take your cardigan politics somewhere else because right now damien rice and co are taking their gigs to a more lively, loud and rockier level. Loosen up a bit and realise that the thing you appear to dislike is the same thing you should try and familiarise yourself with :

FUN
Old 02-03-2004, 02:41 AM   #8
The Kitten
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willa

Kitten, I just read this email and felt compelled to write back and tell you what a muppet you are.

"- Vivienne did Seven Nation Army and the usual dickheads clapped during it" - That song is a fantastic stomping song, in my opinion it is better than the original. A song like that gives you a natural reaction to stamp your feet / clap your hands. Thats what music does to you.

I think you have got yourself confused with a small intimate gig. Let me remind you that is was a sell out large venue with a full live band.

"The 'Witness' fans were out in force and we even got a rendition of One More Song from a pack of w*nkers sitting in the middle of the floor - are we listening to a taping of 'Set List' a bit too much." - what are you talking about?! What about the f**king cardigans like you who just keep quiet and tell everybody else to shutup. Audienceand Band banter are some of the little things that make a gig more memorable.

Dont get me wrong - I ama huge fan, in fact I even travelled to the uk last year to see some shows as I think they are the best live act I have ever experienced. On top of that I dont partake in any of the disgracful "clapping" nor was I one of the joyful fans having a laugh asking for one more song - shame on them.

You have to take your cardigan politics somewhere else because right now damien rice and co are taking their gigs to a more lively, loud and rockier level. Loosen up a bit and realise that the thing you appear to dislike is the same thing you should try and familiarise yourself with :

FUN

Well, a reply like yours was to be expected I guess. Goodbye
Old 02-03-2004, 02:44 AM   #9
The Kitten
Eskimo Regular

I'm just surprised I got 5 other posts before a pr*ck like you got in. The Point Depot is a 'sell-out large venue', not Vicar Street.

I hope you come back with the usual 'we're all entitled to our own opinion line'.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:55 AM   #10
Louise
Eskimo Regular

Kitten I dont think its fair to be so judgemental. I dont want to attack you and I know how nice it is to feel like you're part of a small group of prople who appreciate a band, but you need to accept that Damien is growing in popularity and therefore there is going to be a diverse crowd at his gigs. I feel sorry that you let it bother you so much because I thought it was a bit of a laugh, not my style but a laugh.
I think you need to accept these facts now or never enjoy another damien gig again because this is the way things are now.

Louise

P.S. I clapped during Seven Nation Army, its not a quiet swaying song, and viv was smiling and laughing. Don't be so judgemental; maybe you'll enjoy life a little more.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:57 AM   #11
Louise
Eskimo Regular

PS Thank you to Ian who called me to let me know that they were selling tickets at the door. A true eskimo legend! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2004, 04:32 AM   #12
The Kitten
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise

P.S. I clapped during Seven Nation Army, its not a quiet swaying song, and viv was smiling and laughing. Don't be so judgemental; maybe you'll enjoy life a little more.

Judgemental? I enjoy life just fine, how did you figure out that I didn't?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:39 AM   #13
spudy
Potato masher

anyone who was at the dec gig will remember that vyvienne, before she played seven nation army, said that the next song had excellent clapping opportunities in it - i.e she wanted us to clap...

Old 02-03-2004, 04:39 AM   #14
willa
Eskimo Baby

Kitten, you are one bitter lemon. You need to get over yourself and realise exactly what we are talking about here.

Yes, I agree that there was a time when Damien played small acoustic gigs where everybody say and was quiet. Look at the gig last night, it was heavily covered in a more dark, rockier feel. Times change, bands become more and less popular and you are obviously coming to terms that other people now like a musician/band that was once just for avid and select music fans. Last night was not about sitting around quietly and appreciating quiet and beautiful music, dont criticise people for having fun and expressing themselves. How dare you.

When you are finished calling the people who wanted to hear more of damo "w**kers" and the people who enjoyed seven nation army "d**kheads" and me a "p*ick", perhaps you might call damo something for playing some strange long winding dark instrumentals that weren’t on "O".....just a thought kiddo...

Old 02-03-2004, 04:48 AM   #15
judas
Eskimo Baby

see this is plain wrong...Kitten why do feel you have some exclusive right to claim an experience that has been sold to the public as your own. why do you feel obliged to police the experience and offer terms for how an audience must conduct themselves..it is this type of prudishness that is destroying gigs...rendering them staid and allowing an awkward atmosphere prevail...

witness fans?....i thought witness showcased great music acts, i though witness fans were music appreciators. clapping a cellist?? you obviously have never been to the national concert hall or attended an orchestral concert. why do you expect silent reverence at a place like vicar street??

you should open you mind some kitten..the heckling was quite subdued....and as willa says audience banter is an integral part of a show, especially acoustic driven sets from people who have come from a busking background.

you are clearly very opinionated but take Louises advice, loosen up and enjoy...it's better than being pissed off with small distractions and allowing them become the only thing you can highlight the next morning..
Old 02-03-2004, 04:57 AM   #16
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

Hey guys you should ALL open your mind!!

Kitten has the right to feel this way about the concert, at least as much as you all have the right to feel differently.

Isn't the board supposed to be a place where we share our experiences?

Many ppl = many different experiences, as simple as that.

I am not saying I agree with Kitten... But at least I don't think calling her a bitter lemon or whatever is the right thg to do.

Old 02-03-2004, 05:06 AM   #17
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Well said.

This is blown way out of proportion!!</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 02-03-2004, 05:10 AM   #18
Scon
Eskimo Regular

Patricia [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2004, 05:13 AM   #19
framesaver
Eskimo Regular

Ah sure there's hardly a gig ye'd go to anymore without someone having a crack at the audience the next day. "They were too quiet; they were too loud; this porridge is just right...."

But yeah I'd have to agree with the Kitten on the performance. Pretty flat and uninspiring. Pleasing to more recent fans though, I guess.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:24 AM   #20
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

I know what you mean....

dont know what to expect tonight now![img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

(damn my spelling)</font>[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img] Edited by: daol20
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 02-03-2004, 05:25 AM   #21
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

Maybe he was just a bit tired yesterday? We all have ups and downs haven't we? I'm sure he'll rock tonite![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2004, 05:29 AM   #22
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

I hope so.....IM trying to convert a friend to his music tonight.</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 02-03-2004, 05:29 AM   #23
willa
Eskimo Baby

I think everybody is missing the point here. Yes, it was not one of his best gigs. Lets have a discussion/debate about that.

But there is a difference between that and insulting the support act ("muppets" - its called performance art kitten, if you dont like it fair enough, no need to be rude).

This message board is meant to be about like minded people who enjoy the same things - not a place for "elitist" fans to shoot down other fans with profanity, have respect.

Old 02-03-2004, 05:31 AM   #24
willa
Eskimo Baby

It did look like he was pissed off last night and it showed. His silence can change the atmosphere of the show more than you think. I am heading tonight aswell so I hope he cheers up.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:33 AM   #25
framesaver
Eskimo Regular

It's not that he's tired, you just get the feeling of same old, same old. And continuing to plunder the Juniper back catalogue is not the way forward methinks. The overwhelming feeling we had after the gig is that the rest of the band is starting to carry the show, while Damien is slowly morphing into a whining pre-menstrual spinster. Harsh but fair I reckon.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:39 AM   #26
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Edited by: daol20
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 02-03-2004, 05:39 AM   #27
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Its just time to move on to the next album. He's probably jadded after touring with the same material for so long. And needs to refresh his gig with new stuff.

Roll on the second album!! Quickly!
</font>
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 02-03-2004, 05:46 AM   #28
spudy
Potato masher

was my mates first damien gig last night (apart from witnness) and after seeing the bam gig last week we were both of same opinion: would probably not go to see a damien rice gig again but would really love to see a gig with just tomo, lisa and vyvienne....

Edited by: spudy
Old 02-03-2004, 05:47 AM   #29
willa
Eskimo Baby

There was one or two moments of indulgence into what can only be described as disorganised noise - reminded me of seeing Ryan Adams play a couple of years ago where he spent most of the night playing ramblings and bits of songs. I cant put my finger on it but he performance last night was the least inspiring one I have seen, no hairs standing on the back of me neck.

Regardless of the content the band were pretty tight, the raggae/englishman in new york bit was a nice suprise.

I dont think there is much of a problem dipping backwards providing they are good songs. I imagine the new album is going to be full of songs everybody already knows and is familiar with (unless somebody knows something i dont!?)
Old 02-03-2004, 05:50 AM   #30
willa
Eskimo Baby

Forgot to mention the googenheim grotto, great songs, look forward to seeing them again.
Closed Thread