Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 06-25-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
cille
creepycute

Thumbs up Tonight Damien kicked my azz! June 25th Copenhagen gig

Great gig tonight! I had lowered my expectations to a minimum after being disoppointed when they were here in March, but tonight's gig was really , really great.

Seated gig, which surprised me, but it proved to have a good effect on the chatters and we got there early so we got to sit FRONT ROW, SLIGHTLY TO THE RIGHT=RIGHT IN FRONT OF VYV!!!

Damien had a bit of a cold, he coughed somewhat, but his voice was in pretty good form and he was in a cheerful, chatty mood.

The set list - which I for the first time scribbled down during the concert - was mainly non - crowd pleasers, which pleased me SOO much:

The Professor
Delicate --> snippet of Old Tomato (?)
Volcano --> I think he played the riff from tongue at the end of this
Lonely Soldier
(A new song(?); something about a girl who paints and the Beast in the beauty or something - BEAUTIFUL song, great lyrics!)
Dogs
Amie (introduced by story about how grey Ireland is)
Rootless Tree (Introduced by story about a Rabbit)
Cannonball (this time plugged & w band)
I Remember --> Snippet of Bang Bang
Coconut Skins (Introduced by story about going in circles)
Woman like a man
Eskimo Friend (completely unplugged)

Nine Crimes
Blower's Daughter
Cheers Darlin (drunken w/ red wine)

I'm too tired to write anything else right now, so will tell all tomorrow when being supposed to work.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

OOo sounds like an awesome time. And does he ever tell the same story before songs, I think he just bull sh*ts as he goes along haha. Can't wait to hear this new song
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:01 AM   #3
tremorsinmytree
Eskimo Friend

Eskimo unplugged, that's pretty cool. Can't wait until I hear more about this new song. Glad you had a great time.
tremorsinmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:27 AM   #4
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille
(A new song(?); something about a girl who paints and the Beast in the beauty or something - BEAUTIFUL song, great lyrics!)
oh! i love this already, beauty and the beast is my favorite fairy tale

so damien kicked copenhagen's ass eh? glad you had fun cille, thanks for the setlist
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:12 AM   #5
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

sounds like a fantastic show
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:32 AM   #6
4duckie2hear
Eskimo Baby

According to the storytelling he himself had a better night than in Amsterdam. How many were there in the audience. And sitting close to Vyv is soooo cool :-)

Lucky girl with unplugged Eskimo Friend!

And isn't the new song actually an old Irish song? Read about it yesterday searching for more info on the new song I heard in Amsterdam.

This is what Simon of Wales posted earlier this year. Same song? Or did you hear a real new one?
The 2nd song is a traditional Irish song, which has been recorded by Nina Simone, The Corrs, Luka Bloom, Paul Weller amongst others. "Black Is The Colour"

Black is the colour of my true love's hair
Her lips are like some rose so fair
She has the sweetest smile and the gentlest hands
I love the ground whereon she stands

I love my love, and well she knows
I love the ground whereon she goes
I wish the day it soon might come
When she and I might be as one

I'll go to the Clyde and I mourn and weep
Where satisfied I never shall be
I write her a letter, just a few short lines
And suffer death ten thousand times

Last edited by 4duckie2hear; 06-26-2007 at 06:36 AM.
4duckie2hear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:37 AM   #7
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

unplugged eskimo friend.. that must have been something special.. i'd love to hear that lucky!! :P
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:54 AM   #8
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duckie2hear
According to the storytelling he himself had a better night than in Amsterdam. How many were there in the audience. And sitting close to Vyv is soooo cool :-)

Lucky girl with unplugged Eskimo Friend!

And isn't the new song actually an old Irish song? Read about it yesterday searching for more info on the new song I heard in Amsterdam.

This is what Simon of Wales posted earlier this year. Same song? Or did you hear a real new one?

The 2nd song is a traditional Irish song, which has been recorded by Nina Simone, The Corrs, Luka Bloom, Paul Weller amongst others. "Black Is The Colour"

I love my love, and well she knows
I love the ground whereon she goes
I wish the day it soon might come
When she and I might be as one

I'll go to the Clyde and I mourn and weep
Where satisfied I never shall be
I write her a letter, just a few short lines
And suffer death ten thousand times

Nope, that's not the one. It had more to do with paint and the beast in the beauty or the beauty in the beast.

The gig was in store Vega, which holds about 1000 people when seated. It's a bit like Paradiso minus one balcony floor. Or so I'm guessing. I'm not even sure it was sold out.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:52 AM   #9
SnoopS
Eskimo Friend

Wow, the set list is great, what you wrote sounds wonderfull... the venue is not too big (HMH is 3500 seated!!!)... what a lovely concert, Lucky you Cille
SnoopS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #10
glo32
Eskimo Regular

is the new song something like "she's a cutie, a painter of paints, she's in the canvas..." with "where do you go to pretend" at the end?
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #11
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32
is the new song something like "she's a cutie, a painter of paints, she's in the canvas..." with "where do you go to pretend" at the end?
YESYESYES!!
It was very, very fine song!!

I am so happy the concert turned out the way it did, I was beginning to fear Damien had lost his *magic touch*, but I was so wrong. I guess you just gotta catch him on a good day. Also, the set list was a real Cille-pleaser - he said early on that since he'd been here quite recently (March) they would play a different set. I generally think the crowd wanted to be pleased more than they did (they only really cheered when he played Cannonball and Blower's Daughter), but I'm so happy he chose to please me instead - gotta keep the core fan happy

Was surprised that Pedestrian didn't open like they did in Holland, since they had set up out 2 drum kits - turned out the second drum kit (a smaller one with a heffa on the bass drum) was for Joel Shearer - during one of the many jammy parts (YAY! Jammy parts, yummy!) he rocked out drumming on the drums and the box he was sitting on, quite nice.

Joel Shearer seems like a great guitarist - sometimes I wish Damien would back off a little and give him more space, cause he seems like he can really do some amazing stuff. All the same it's amazing how well he plays his part; staying in the background and doing all these little 'invisible' things that support the whole in great ways.
All

Vyv seemed a bit sad, maybe? She was very quiet and didn't do a solo performance she didn't even do vocals on the other things; her vocal mic was just stinding idle pointed away from her all the time. I think she saw me jot down the set list (on the back side of a package of painkillers i had brought), she seemed to find that amusing.

Tomo wasn't there! So I guess the drummer was the guy from Pedestrian. He did a pretty good temp job; sometimes you could sense that he lacked some routine with some songs, but it was kind of refreshing to hear a different approach to that role in the band - Tomo's an excellent drummer of course (and a HOT mofo ) and it's not like I wish him replaced for good, but this guy was a cool substitute.

There's more, but gotta go to lunch now
Old 06-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #12
happy2bhere
Eskimo Regular

Lucky you!!!! Glad you had a fantastic time, shame on you for doubting his magic touch though!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #13
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bhere
Lucky you!!!! Glad you had a fantastic time, shame on you for doubting his magic touch though!!!
welllll, the March gig really did nothing for me, and 9 didn't bring my blood to boil (or any other bodily fluids for that matter) either so I was beginning to think I was 'getting over' Damien but... NOT SO! I am happy today; almost feels like having sorted out some disagreements with a lover - relieved sorta
(only w/o the make-up sex - dang! )
Old 06-26-2007, 11:16 AM   #14
Martine
Eskimo Friend

Sounds better than the HMH gig

Nice setlist!
Eskimo friends is soooo cool unplugged, I heard it in Cologne last March.
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #15
happy2bhere
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
I am happy today; almost feels like having sorted out some disagreements with a lover - relieved sorta

Old 06-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #16
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

it sounds good fun, I am happy for you cille
Old 06-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #17
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Sounds like it was an awesome show - love the unplugged esklimo also!!!

Can't wait for Lucerne!!!!
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #18
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex
Sounds like it was an awesome show - love the unplugged esklimo also!!!

Can't wait for Lucerne!!!!
Lucerne, how lucky!
Old 06-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #19
Nine
Inuit

Oh awesome! The new song didn't happen to end with a bit that goes something like "It's a long, long road" and "where do we go" or something like that, did it? Really powerful ending?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #20
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
Oh awesome! The new song didn't happen to end with a bit that goes something like "It's a long, long road" and "where do we go" or something like that, did it? Really powerful ending?
It did have a powerful ending - in fact, it was a powerful song altogether - but I don't remember the exact words (or even the drift) of the ending
Old 06-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #21
cille
creepycute

OH OH! Remembered some more:

There was this guy on stage that I have never seen before - very short hair, played the Rhodes on a couple of songs. I wonder if he has played other gigs with them?

And I was struck at how well Damien played drunk during Cheers Darlin - he did the whole routine with the coool looking roadie acting as waiter pouring him 3 glasses of wine during the song and denying him any more at the end of the song - it was really hilarious. I usually hate it when people overplay drunkenness but Damien's performance was really crafty - he must have some drunken experiences to draw upon... He could probably be an actor, if he wanted to.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #22
marloes
Eskimo Regular

Cille, so good to hear that you weren't disappointed this time!
No annoying little girls with their make-up and their tall bf's getting in the way and chatting, but instead you got front row seats and a chatty Damien!

I should have come and visited you again then maybe I would have had the damo magic back as well.
marloes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #23
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marloes
Cille, so good to hear that you weren't disappointed this time!
No annoying little girls with their make-up and their tall bf's getting in the way and chatting, but instead you got front row seats and a chatty Damien!

I should have come and visited you again then maybe I would have had the damo magic back as well.
YESSS you should!!! He's playing in Århus tonight - if I had any money at all I'd go too, it was that good.

As a matter of fact, the only flaw on the audience this time were actually sat right behind us - a couple of (surprise surprise) swedish blondes who were heckling a little - like, snoring during the unplugged eskimo, etc But they weren't TOO bad and they were BEHIND me so they couldn't block my view in any way. Yay for front row!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #24
4duckie2hear
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
welllll, the March gig really did nothing for me, and 9 didn't bring my blood to boil (or any other bodily fluids for that matter) either so I was beginning to think I was 'getting over' Damien but... NOT SO! I am happy today; almost feels like having sorted out some disagreements with a lover - relieved sorta

The guy on the Rhodes is the guy playing in Pedestrian, I think...

Joel told us in Amsterdam that the venue said that there had to be a support act so one of the guys was flown in from Italy (but not the short haired guy...mmmm, starting to doubt myself). Think they were right to aks for support act, since it said so on the ticket and I could just imagine people coming late...
Old 06-26-2007, 03:36 PM   #25
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duckie2hear

The guy on the Rhodes is the guy playing in Pedestrian, I think...

Joel told us in Amsterdam that the venue said that there had to be a support act so one of the guys was flown in from Italy (but not the short haired guy...mmmm, starting to doubt myself). Think they were right to aks for support act, since it said so on the ticket and I could just imagine people coming late...
How many guys were in the supporting band in A'dam? Cause I sort of assumed that the drummer was that other guy from Pedestrian mentioned at the Pedestrian homepage to tour with Damien this summer. It was funny how he just seemed to sit in, without any comments from Damien.

Did they also play this strange loopy piano thing before Damien and the band started to play? It went on for about 10-15 minutes and was about to drive me cwuuaaaazzyyyeeee at some point...
Old 06-26-2007, 05:05 PM   #26
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Cille, sounds like a great show!!!!!

I Think that the new song you describe is the ´new song from Portland´from the last US tour. It mentions the girl in a canvas, painter of paints, she´s a cuttie... and the chorus says ít´s a long road, i´m lost´and the end is ´where do you go to pretend´...

I posted a link to tiny clip on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9yXJbQIHnI
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #27
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Cille, sounds like a great show!!!!!

I Think that the new song you describe is the ´new song from Portland´from the last US tour. It mentions the girl in a canvas, painter of paints, she´s a cuttie... and the chorus says ít´s a long road, i´m lost´and the end is ´where do you go to pretend´...

I posted a link to tiny clip on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9yXJbQIHnI
Yep, that's the one i was talking about. I just wish I could see a clip of the whole thing!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #28
4duckie2hear
Eskimo Baby

There were only three men with Pedestrian. Bassplayer wasn't there. So guy on the Rhodes was somebody else! Damien did say everybody's name...But what names?

I went off to toilet, only not to hear piano music anymore. :-D Not exactly true, but I only noticed it at the end...and found it irritating as well.

Cool video!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #29
cille
creepycute

well that explains the mystery man then - he's prolly the third pedestrian.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:04 PM   #30
4duckie2hear
Eskimo Baby

i was not very clear, but he isn't. There was the drummer, Joel and then a goatie (as in a guy with a long beard!). So totally different from the guy that was one stage during Damiens. Right? I was not that close...

Pictures on pedestrian site!