The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Trading

Old 10-04-2003, 11:34 AM   #91
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff
<P class=Msonormal>
If you download any show in .shn you need to decode it to .wav to be able to play it or record it to cd.

Actually, you can go to etree.org, and download SHNamp, and it will play SHN files through your winamp.

Mario
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 01:44 PM   #92
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
winamp
Unless there is a vastly new and improved version that came out in the last six month, winamp sucks for XP users.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 05:16 PM   #93
stonecrest
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
Unless there is a vastly new and improved version that came out in the last six month, winamp sucks for XP users.
i run winamp 2.81 on xp and have no problems whatsoever. i use it for playing mp3s, shn, flac, and audio cds.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:14 PM   #94
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecrest
i run winamp 2.81 on xp and have no problems whatsoever. i use it for playing mp3s, shn, flac, and audio cds.
I forgot what version I last installed. Is the one you use working with the "play folder" command?

I always used Winamp, but then I bought a new computer with XP and d/l'ed the latest version and it just seemed outdated and didn't seem to support various of the new XP features. And what it mess it was to uninstall and get everything in working order again! I was really disapponted. I now use Musicmatch.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:58 PM   #95
skysosmrt
Eskimo Baby

Thanks Spiff for the step-by-step guide. I will have to try it out. [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]
skysosmrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 08:36 AM   #96
jonnybradley
Eskimo Baby

Hi all,

Mario just found your ftp (Grate FTP btw m8) and started downloading and I want to ask if it would be ok to upload some of yourstuff to a nother FTP I use, spread the word like.

Thanks
jonnybradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 04:51 PM   #97
ShLeY
muuuusic

is this down right now?
ShLeY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:04 PM   #98
VolcanoLola
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShLeY
is this down right now?

Yeah, I wonder that too. I can't seem to connect and I downloaded all the Paradiso MP3s last nite and now they are all dead!!! What happened? Anybody have any words of tech wisdom?
Old 10-07-2003, 10:33 PM   #99
ben_taylor
Eskimo Baby

i cant log in right now either, but i have damien's KBCO studio C appearance in SHN (2 tracks and an interview...with vivian) receiver > PC source

id love to upload it and spread the love...ill keep trying, but if i forget could someone drop me an email when its back up?

many thanks

ben
ben_taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 01:55 AM   #100
RedRocket
Eskimo Baby

First of all, I am new to this board, but I love Damien's music (and yes I have seen him live and have my tickets to see him again).

I just wanted to say this was a most entertaining thread. I understand everyone's viewpoint being a fairly active trader in the states and having spent time in Ireland and seeing first hand the communications infrastructure issues.

Anyway, Hi..

Brett
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 02:03 AM   #101
justynsa
Eskimo Baby

Have you guys thought about maybe gettin damien to appove to put his shows up on http://www.archive.org/audio/? Just a thought.

justynsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 03:48 AM   #102
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Im trying to download SHNamp from http://www.etree.org/but dont use WinAmp. and it has specific versions for different WinAmp's will it work WIndows Media Player? Thats the only player i've ever used. Or do i need to get WinAmp aswell?

To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 04:15 AM   #103
logikologos
Eskimo Baby

winamp kinda sucks. i wouldn't suggest using it

logikologos@yahoo.com
logikologos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 07:14 AM   #104
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

I think you need winamp daol20. Then install shnamp. I use it all the time with no problems when playing shn's.
Funky Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 12:22 PM   #105
grovesa16
Eskimo Baby

Is there a Mac .shn solution? I hate when we mac users are excluded, even when it is the better format. Any other Mac users out there who know what's up with the .shns for us?

Cheers.
grovesa16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 12:25 PM   #106
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by logikologos
winamp kinda sucks. i wouldn't suggest using it
I second that. Especially if you use Windows XP. It's OK on earlier versions, I suppose.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:18 PM   #107
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justynsa

Have you guys thought about maybe gettin damien to appove to put his shows up on http://www.archive.org/audio/*? Just a thought.

Im going to work on getting him on etree. However, etree lost their most recent database somehow, so they are in chaos at the moment. But yes. However, doing so will require an official taping statement first..... so it could take years.

Just wait. I want to get out trading site up and running first, be able to show it to Damien and the guidelines so he understands what we want to do, then get him to okay it officially.Edited by: Mario
Old 10-09-2003, 02:37 PM   #108
Angela
Eskimo Regular

I ran into that archive yesterday also. It is excellent! I was immediately thinking the same thing. Even on the ftp I already run into problems: you see the date of the show but why should I d/l that over another. There are going to be so many shows in the future, they need to be reviewed and rated or something.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:47 PM   #109
marti286
Eskimo Baby

there is a mac shn encoder and player....just look they are out there.
marti286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 07:48 PM   #110
cartman
Eskimo Regular

How many users can d/l at the same time??
Sorry if no1 could d/l or connect today, i was d/l i think for 6-7 hours [not great rates on it only 8kbs:/]

I tried connecting when i got home and couldnt connect so i guess 1 or 2 people can only connect at d same time,

thanks anyways,

Old 10-11-2003, 12:31 AM   #111
AllThatLies
Eskimo Regular

don't bother making requests for the archive right now..it won't happen. all artists on there must have a taping policy and approve their inclusion. ben and fiona will not authorize it so the only real hope is to go through damien directly and get him to get them to approve it...until that day comes...no chance.
AllThatLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 11:15 AM   #112
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThatLies
don't bother making requests for the archive right now..it won't happen. all artists on there must have a taping policy and approve their inclusion. ben and fiona will not authorize it so the only real hope is to go through damien directly and get him to get them to approve it...until that day comes...no chance.

Yes, please don't do anything. Im going to handle it. After we get the trading website up, I will get in touch directly with Damien, get him to look at the site, and speak to him about an official policy.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:35 PM   #113
nLogic
Eskimo Baby

I'd have to agree with grovesa16 with a resounding "EXACTLY!!!"

Of course I want Damien to benefit from the sale of his music, but if he and/or the label aren't offering it, what alternative is there? I go to the shows, I bought the album, hell I'd even send Damien the $15 for the CD if he had anything available on his site. But in the absence of any other alternative, I'm willing to explore other options, e.g. compensating/incentivizing someone for sharing their copy with me.

Of course these recordings should be available for free, but not everyone is nice enough to share without being compensated. I wish everyone in the world was cool like Mario.

On that note, mad thanks and much love to Mario for hosting the files, but most people who aren't part of the "taping scene" or whatever just want the music and couldn't care less about format.

Those of us who aren't super-audiophiles with $5k stereo systems, we can't tell the difference. The mp3 format was designed with that in mind, it discards the info outside the range of "normal" human hearing. It's based on things like getting rid of a bit of information here and there, like when one sound is going to take prevalence over another anyway (like a low & high simultaneously played), the subordinate sound info is reduced.

mp3s are also ridiculously smaller and easier to download. I'm all for saving the shns for archival purposes, but for practical purposes there's a reason why mp3 is so damned popular.
nLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 06:03 PM   #114
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nLogic
Of course these recordings should be available for free, but not everyone is nice enough to share without being compensated.* I wish everyone in the world was cool like Mario.
Indeed. They should be free, and, in fact are free. Never pay for live recordings! Take a few minutes to find a free version.[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2003, 08:15 PM   #115
cartman
Eskimo Regular

Theres no version of SHNamp for winamp5

not many people know about this winamp5 as you cant get it on the winamp site or any download.com sh*te like that..

best winamp version around, i only know 3 people who know about it / use it..

If ye want the link let me know, Its alot bigger than winamp 2 & 3 filesize.,
Old 10-12-2003, 04:33 AM   #116
AllThatLies
Eskimo Regular

for macs...read www.etree.org goes for pc users too
AllThatLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 08:01 PM   #117
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

Winamp5 was only is alpha stages the last time I used it, which means its a long way away from finished.

By the way, there no issues with WinAmp2/WinAmp3 and WindowsXP. I've been using it for the past five years and it's worked with -every- version of Windows.[img]smileys/smiley22.gif[/img]Edited by: Loveless
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 09:26 PM   #118
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveless
By the way, there no issues with WinAmp2/WinAmp3 and WindowsXP. I've been using it for the past five years and it's worked with -every- version of Windows.[img]smileys/smiley22.gif[/img]
Hmm....it's been a while now that I installed it, so my memory isn't that sharp anymore.

1) I think there were problems with the "play folder" command (maybe you couldn't sort by track numbers?) Anyway, it wasn't up to snuff supporting all the music folder functions [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img] and / or some of the usage was more akward to use than in, say, Musicmatch.

2) The other thing was something about the display when I moved to 1280x764. I think the font was too small and couldn't be adjusted. [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

3) And after I un-installed it the "play folder" function wasn't working at all anymore. I had to reinstall Windows Media Player to get it back. [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

Something like that. Are you saying it was all a fluke? [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 09:05 AM   #119
spiff
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by framesaver
Plus, I have some old Juniper mp3s that I'll put up soon too, if that's ok - Old versions of I remember, Volcano, Amie ('Spaceship'), Me, My Yoke & I etcetera etcetera...

Cheers for putting up those Juniper mp3's on the ftp server, just downloaded them and it's cool to hear different versions of I Remember, Face (the live version is funny), Then Go, The Professor (with no La Fille Danse at the end!),Me, My Yoke and I etc.

You mentioned Amie (Spaceship) - are you going to put that one up too? Thanks again
Old 10-13-2003, 10:27 AM   #120
cartman
Eskimo Regular

I would just like to thank everyone who uploaded to that ftp and such beacuse i just finished my download there.. 2.2 GIGS

great to have 1meg dsl in work but my highest speed was only 16k you shud get a better ftp..)

If ye want any other music apart from damo as ye all have it ill u/l a bit..

Mic chrirstopher, glen hansard and the likes..

Thanks again[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]