Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 06-29-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
crackpotcuckoo
Eskimo Regular

Default Oxegen 2005

We're no time at all away from the big weekend now so I feel I have to write about it!

For starters does anyone have an good suggestions as to what food to bring......? I know there are many threads written about it on the oxegen website but I want to see if anyone else has any brilliant ideas!!

And I was wondering are there any Eskimo meet-ups being organised? I don't even know how many of us are going!
crackpotcuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:02 AM   #2
hollowrose
Eskimo Regular

there seems to be a lot of fools on the oxegen forum byt anywho....

i recommend bringing 2 or 3 sandwiches for the first day and morning after because lets face it who in there right mind wants to eat burger and chips all weekend
then crackers, biscuits and **** like that i guess, things that won't go off easily.
hollowrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:05 AM   #3
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

get an instant barbeque and some burgers and buns and light it up in the carpark... usually what i do every year and its so good

dont trust the food in the place... its all VERY dodgy

also advisable to go up on the friday and get in the A campsite as that seems to generally be more fun as theres less people

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:09 AM   #4
hollowrose
Eskimo Regular

is campsite A nearer to the arena too?

you arent allowed them instant barbeque's in the site are you only in the car park?
Old 06-30-2005, 11:08 AM   #5
Bumpman

Yeah, campsite A is usually better, mostly because a lot of scumbags seem to come up on saturday and then get shoved into B. I reckon that when you're packing you should bring half as much clothes as you think you'll need, and twice as much food as you think you'll need, the reason being that no-one really gives a fück what you're wearing, but you'll be using an awful lot of energy, hence the need for more food. If you can try to bring a good variation of stuff to eat it would probably be better too.

Also if you've bought a cheap tent in lidl or dunnes, make sure that there's a flysheet with it, without one every drop of humidity that gathers at night (even if it's not raining) will soak through the tent whenever anything is touching off the walls. It's a horrible feeling to wake up to, trust me.

Lastly, don't let them take your full ticket at the gate, only let them take the small part of it, you're legally entitled to the stubs. Every year the security people take full tickets from people and sell them back outside the venue. It puts a huge strain on Campsite B and also the toilets and medical tents, thus increasing the ticket prices for the next year. As far as i know all the security have to wear picture id tags with big numbers on them.

It's quite annoying to think that some scumbag guard can go sell 200 tickets that he's gotten for free and make thirty grand from them.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:06 PM   #6
crackpotcuckoo
Eskimo Regular

Yeah i've read all about those security guards. I will indeed be making sure I get my stub back... bastards!

Our bus is going up at 12 o clock on Friday so I'll definitely get into campsite A.

Thanks for the advice so far lads... Anyone else??
Old 06-30-2005, 06:35 PM   #7
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

yeh that's what i was going to ask, is there a bus from dublin that goes and does anyone know when and where???
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:44 PM   #8
eims
Eskimo Eejit

Location: University of Wales, Aberystwyth. Originally from Norn Iron tho..

From what i remember there are buses running to and from dublin and Punchestown every half an hour or hour throughout the whole weekend- don't know the exact details tho sorry!
Old 06-30-2005, 06:59 PM   #9
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

that's cool thanks, as long as they are pretty frequent...gates open at 3 no?? i'm getting really excited now, i've had all my mates telling me about how amazing glastonbury was, it's like rub salt in the wound won't you cos i couldn't go, whether i'd had a ticket or not!
Old 07-01-2005, 01:56 AM   #10
hollowrose
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
Yeah, campsite A is usually better, mostly because a lot of scumbags seem to come up on saturday and then get shoved into B. I reckon that when you're packing you should bring half as much clothes as you think you'll need, and twice as much food as you think you'll need, the reason being that no-one really gives a fück what you're wearing, but you'll be using an awful lot of energy, hence the need for more food. If you can try to bring a good variation of stuff to eat it would probably be better too.

Also if you've bought a cheap tent in lidl or dunnes, make sure that there's a flysheet with it, without one every drop of humidity that gathers at night (even if it's not raining) will soak through the tent whenever anything is touching off the walls. It's a horrible feeling to wake up to, trust me.

Lastly, don't let them take your full ticket at the gate, only let them take the small part of it, you're legally entitled to the stubs. Every year the security people take full tickets from people and sell them back outside the venue. It puts a huge strain on Campsite B and also the toilets and medical tents, thus increasing the ticket prices for the next year. As far as i know all the security have to wear picture id tags with big numbers on them.

It's quite annoying to think that some scumbag guard can go sell 200 tickets that he's gotten for free and make thirty grand from them.
oh right thanks for the advice
i'll try to get my stub of the ****head
i bet they make a wreck of money off that

and yeah i couldn't beleive the amount of scumbags that were at it in 2003
****ers
Old 07-01-2005, 01:58 AM   #11
hollowrose
Eskimo Regular

i always forget about the anti cursing stance in this forum
anyways Vienna the buses leave from Parnell Square, which is really near the ambassador theatre
http://www2.ticketmaster.ie/cgi/asp_...003ABEA9E56C68
Old 07-08-2005, 12:44 AM   #12
hollowrose
Eskimo Regular

oh tomorrowwww
wooooooooo.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:01 AM   #13
cille
creepycute

is oxegen only for 2 days?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:39 PM   #14
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

2 days of music... but 3 days overall... if u choose to camp on the friday

im about to head off now

Old 07-08-2005, 07:38 PM   #15
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

yay! have fun everybody!

if you didn't get tickets rte 2fm is broadcasting the event

http://www.rte.ie/2fm/2fmlive.html
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:06 PM   #16
crackpotcuckoo
Eskimo Regular

What a weekend!! Ah, It was great!! Really was! Im so wrecked now though! The Frames were the best band of the weekend. Although James Brown was pretty impressive too! Twas great!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:42 PM   #17
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

great weekend... had its good points and bad

couldnt believe the sound at the main stage.. it was awfull and you had to be right in the crowd to drown out the noise of the skate ramp...
such a mixed crowd... mostly northerners and northsiders But all in all everyone seemed up for a laugh

ill sleep happy knowing i wont have to hear dirty dirty techno music constantly where-ever i go / sleep... music for the devil i tell ya

highlight was actually the prodigy... not a huge fan of dance music but they know how to put on a show!!! walked over and thought to myself "if i ever have to explain this to someone i doubt ill be able to" The lights... the sound... and overall the buzz at the stage of people going insane

just really annoyed i missed Audioslave who were the one band i really wanted to see... i refused to pay 10 euro for a timetable so i ended up at the main stage for the streets (who really arent my cuppa tea)... ive heard amazing reviews from everyone that Audioslave were class... and they played rage & soundgarden songs

Old 07-12-2005, 04:28 PM   #18
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

ah they had the times written up on a tent near the entrance....or you coulda just asked someone!!!

it was a good weekend alright but to be fair in terms of festivals, this one just doesn't compare to the likes of glastonbury and reading, in my opinion! there are way too many rules and regulations and the venue is a bit small....when the whole population (nearly) of the festival wants to see one band, it's kinda pointless even trying cos you can't hear it properly right from the back and you're getting as much atmosphere as if you were sat on your sofa watching it on the telly! (i'm talking about the killers by the way)

ok that's the negative for me (from a first timer at oxegen) but on the whole it was a good weekend.....spent a lot of time at the new band stage, saw some stuff that i'd heard of but hadn't heard the music and was fairly impressed (the black velvets, jackson united, the blizzards) saw the magic numbers too, they sure pulled in a crowd and were quite impressive, very happy clappy! i think my highlight in the new band stage was death from above 1979, they were awesome, i didn't think i'd get to see them cos they overlapped with the killers and we decided not to bother with the killers cos you just couldn't get anywhere near!

saw mundy too and the frames (awesome) but highlight from the main stage were the kaiser chiefs, absolutely brilliant!!

so all in all for me it was well worth it! and i got to meet pinky there which was fantastic but i missed una cos her phone went bust!
Old 07-13-2005, 12:55 AM   #19
hollowrose
Eskimo Regular

Green Day were really great
ah hahaha that girl sucked on the guitar, the drummer was good though hehe
i couldn't believe how over filled the campsite was
bloody annoying
revelate was right it was full of northeners and dubliners
us boggers were very out numbered
the killers weren't as good as they should have been
audioslave were pretty cool
and i was quite surprised about the amount of covers they played
chris cornell is damn cool though
the frames were good, but i prefer other gigs i have seen of theirs
ah oh the heat on sunday
it was so hot......... yuck!
Old 07-13-2005, 10:31 PM   #20
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

i had loads of fun

met vienna, 1st time i was drunk with a very attractive can in my hand, danced my arse off saw razorlight kaiser chiefs SNOOP DOG!!! qotsa mylo and prodigy

Sunday i totally burnt, my own fault cuz i did choose just to wear my bra....saw some naked mud sliding where northerners got their willies all muddy then i saw the killers the future heads a bit of the streets james brown and another band i cant remember

Saw vienna again bummed some smokes off her lol i got really smelly and had so so so much fun!
Old 07-14-2005, 04:55 PM   #21
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Thumbs up

Have to say the biggest let down was the Frames, just thank god Green day were on right after them to cheer me up.Rodrigo y Gabriella,James Brown, Razorlight and Kaiser Chiefs were also v good.Went to see Bronagh Gallagher for the first time,shes so cool!Campsite was great craic.Couldnt believe though they ran out of water on the sunday night,it has to be the most badly organised festival ever.Fair play to the people who let us into their houses for water in Kildare,we probably would all have been in hospital with dehydration if they hadent,considering it took us two hours to get out of punchestown on the Monday morning.I was also dissapointed that i couldnt find Cillian Murphy anyway enough of my ranting.....
Old 07-15-2005, 12:56 AM   #22
hollowrose
Eskimo Regular

Cillian Murphy was there, no way????

i couldn't tell was it because i was sobering up or was it because of another reason that i thought the frames weren't as good as usual, kinda wished i had went to see Interpol
Green Day and Snoop were my favourites
The Killers were my biggest let down
the lead singer needs a personality transplant
Old 07-15-2005, 04:13 AM   #23
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

jennifer aniston was there too... pity i didnt bump into her

that smiley wraps up my whole weekend --->

Old 07-15-2005, 10:32 AM   #24
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

green day were my biggest let down...i've seen them twice before but this time it was just too much filling with stupid noises and not enough banter or songs

the killers i just didn't bother with, i reckon if you'd have been in the pit it would've been pretty good but anywhere else i just didn't see the point, from where we got to it would've been like watching it on your TV just a whole lot dirtier and ya wouldn't have been able to hear it as well! too many people in too small a space!
Old 07-18-2005, 12:37 AM   #25
hollowrose
Eskimo Regular

huh you didnt like green day?
it was like listening to cd when watching the killers
no stage presence at all
Old 07-18-2005, 07:56 PM   #26
SimonWales
Eskimo Regular

Smile

Super!
Furry!
Animals!

their new stuff is great...and the suits controlled by the lighting technician :-) :-)

Other highlights for me were Magic Numbers, Rilo Kiley, The Dears (hardly even 100 ppl there for them...) and Snoop Dogg!

When I say Punches, you say....
SimonWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:18 PM   #27
~Aoife~
Eskimo Regular

Rilo Kiley were excellent
Old 07-19-2005, 01:19 AM   #28
hollowrose
Eskimo Regular

how come super furry animals were on the new stage??
silliness...

yeah i love the way snoop says punchestown *giggles*
Old 07-19-2005, 11:34 AM   #29
Bumpman

So did anyone on the board actually see Interpol... Oxegen would have been a waste of €150 if not for Interpol. I don't think i'll go again next year... it's so badly organised, Glastonbury or Lowlands would be much better.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:23 PM   #30
crackpotcuckoo
Eskimo Regular

I went to see Interpol! They really were amazing! I was very surprised, I had kinda thought that they would be a bit boring on stage... Oh how wrong was I!! And the atmosphere in there was just incredible!! A very unexpected highlight of the weekend.