Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Default Pitchfork review

For those of you concerned with such things here's pitchfork's shockingly poorly written (Petrusch and Screiber may be the only decent writers they have) 9 review, I give it a 1.6 (the review, not the album).

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl.../Damien_Rice_9

Last edited by #Ian#; 11-22-2006 at 01:33 PM.
#Ian# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
tywy
Eskimo Regular

well they gave it 1.9, they hate him anyway so it was to be expected! Pitchfork have an agenda, bastards!
tywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Charlie Brown
Eskimo Baby

Wow! A guy that writes as horribly as he does has the nerve to attempt to belittle Damien? That read like it was written by a third grader at best.
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
Wow! A guy that writes as horribly as he does has the nerve to attempt to belittle Damien? That read like it was written by a third grader at best.
Doesn't matter how well or poorly he writes he'd entitled to his opinion. I just find it odd that THE indie website gives gigs to such bad writers considering the influence it has.

The Funeral review there signifies everything that is great and terrible about that site. Shining light on before then little known but astonishingly brilliant music but containing such awful writing it's almost unreadable.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
Charlie Brown
Eskimo Baby

While I agree he is entitled to his own opinion, I feel if you're going to slam somebody's writing abilities then your abilities better be on point. That's just my opinion.
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
tywy
Eskimo Regular

he is entitled to his own opinion but they favour certain bands, that's what I don't like
tywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
While I agree he is entitled to his own opinion, I feel if you're going to slam somebody's writing abilities then your abilities better be on point. That's just my opinion.
There's a difference between prose and verse.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
I just find it odd that THE indie website gives gigs to such bad writers considering the influence it has.
Why? I call it brave and unconventional, it's called "diversity" if you hand out things like that to writers with different opinions and don't mind when you're the chief editor. It shows that you're not an egomanic fascist. Know what I mean?
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:32 PM   #9
Bumpman

It's not so much the differing opinions that bothers people about it though, it's the standard of english. Let them think what they want, becuase we're all entitled to that. The real question is though, why is it so necessary for this Marc Hogan chap to air his opinions with such a glaring lack of objective reasoning?

Diversity is one thing, but to absolutely pack an article with smart-ass comments, and absolutely no lucid or well-researched points is an insult to the reader.

Not that it'll do us much good moaning about it here, there's not much of a shock in the members of a Damien Rice forum complaining about a poorly written review of a Damien Rice album.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #10
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

I do find it interesting that pitchfork tends to speak with one voice when it comes to acts. Surely someone on their staff must think Damien doesn't stink, much the same way someone there must hate Arcade Fire.

Pitchfork is great for news and if they do give something (that isn't hip hop or pop which just smacks of tokenism when they like it) a good review I'll at least investigate the act but my god they're up their own arses when it comes to prose.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

I kinda like it, the satirical tone is well written and funny, even though I don't have to agree with the content (cos I like the album).

Quote:
"9 Crimes" has already been tapped for Grey's Anatomy

Damien Rice fans are mostly stiff, humourless creeps.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote